Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Heavy Metal posted:

Been watching Miami Vice on hulu, so good. Had seen the pilot and some eps years back when a friend got the DVDs, been fun binging it (skipping a few eps if not into them) when I had a cold lately. It is just drat good. Everybody should give the pilot a watch at the very least, TV history right there.

And that level of outrageous coolness, something just directly trying to be cool, and succeeding, it's magical. drat those guys are cool. And Edward James Olmos, he is so drat cool in that. Jan Hammer music, 80s hits, that show is the real deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

Spoilers for Miami Vice, maybe? I've never actually seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Oh no I looked up Michael Pena to see what kind of Spanish he was speaking and I found out he's a scientologist :negative:

Noted, he's gone in the no es bueno pile

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sirotan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk

Spoilers for Miami Vice, maybe? I've never actually seen it.

That video rules, yep it's a parody of a classic scene from the pilot and whatnot. "The Pipe Strip" (07/27/1978) is my favorite video of theirs, seen that so many times, it's amazing. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Oh no I looked up Michael Pena to see what kind of Spanish he was speaking and I found out he's a scientologist :negative:

I thought he quit????

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Heavy Metal posted:

On season 2 at the moment, though I have seen the season 4/5 Sonny Burnett saga as well, which I enjoyed for the wild story it was. Really reminded me of an HK crime movie.

Now season two has the single best episode of the entire series in "Out Where the Buses Don't Run" with Bruce McGill and David Strathairn (from back when it was practically Strathairn's "thing" to show up for a few minutes at a time as a guest star in 80s shows and steal the scene, c.f. his appearance in five minutes of The Equalizer). But the pilot has the coolest scene of the series with the "In the Air Tonight" scene.

DrVenkman posted:

My favourite 'Caruso Is a dick' comes from when he finished on NYPD BLUE. He did his last take and had arranged for a limo to come pick him up without ever saying goodbye to the people he worked with.

Caruso quitting one of the most popular shows on tv because he was sure that he was going to break huge into movies was cited as one of the worst career moves in Hollywood for years afterwards. Even after he got the CSI gig people talked about how he completely blew his big break 10 years earlier.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Caruso quitting one of the most popular shows on tv because he was sure that he was going to break huge into movies was cited as one of the worst career moves in Hollywood for years afterwards. Even after he got the CSI gig people talked about how he completely blew his big break 10 years earlier.

And not just any movies, but 90s erotic thrillers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s a lot of real crap in the new Sabrina show but Kiernan Shipka is great wtf

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Miami Vice was definitely a legit Good Show, especially the early seasons. "Better Living Through Chemistry" is a great episode.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This excites me.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/starz-announces-a-dublin-murders-series/

I thought the first couple of her books were pretty good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

And not just any movies, but 90s erotic thrillers.

One of which was directed by William Friedkin, of all people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else check out the season finale for Dream Corp LLC? It was an extra length episode that featured an almost unrecognizable Toby Kebbel as a convicted serial killer getting treatment. Also because the episode length was off they ended it with this weird quasi music video thing that was an amalgamation of all the dream sequences.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

There’s a lot of real crap in the new Sabrina show but Kiernan Shipka is great wtf

She's been great since Mad Men started.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

asecondduck posted:

She's been great since Mad Men started.

It was telling when Bobby Draper got replaced like, four times during the show's run but they never dared to even replace Kiernan Shipka.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I thought he quit????

Last summer he was telling scientologists to stand with Danny masterson, so I doubt it.

E:whoops, that was his wife. Looks like they’re both still involved though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vanderdeath posted:

It was telling when Bobby Draper got replaced like, four times during the show's run but they never dared to even replace Kiernan Shipka.

They should have replaced Matthew Wiener's son 4 times

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Glenn was great. He was the perfect little creep.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

feedmyleg posted:

Glenn was great. He was the perfect little creep.

:agreed:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People complaining that Weiner’s son was too off-putting were totally missing that that was clearly the entire point

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I just think he's a lovely actor. Betty Draper too. There were plenty of scenes with Betty and Sally where the 10 year old girl was acting circles around the mom.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
January Jones was most definitely the weak link of the main cast, but she still had some pretty great scenes over the years imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In before esperterra explains that actually Jones is great because she’s attracted to her

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jones is literally the worst, I don't care how pretty she is.

SHE

IS

THE

WORST

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

In before esperterra explains that actually Jones is great because she’s attracted to her

Jones is amazing.

As Betty Draper lmao. I can't think of a single performance of hers outside Mad Men that I would even call servicable.

e: still prob the weakest link of the cast tho

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She was kinda funny as a weird robot lady on Last Man On Earth. So she can hit a pretty decent sweet spot acting wise, just within a very specific range.

I was surprised by how moved I ended up being by Betty, on Mad Men. She's far, far better in the final season than she was at the start. Not just as a person, but just purely as a performance.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Open Source Idiom posted:

She was kinda funny as a weird robot lady on Last Man On Earth. So she can hit a pretty decent sweet spot acting wise, just within a very specific range.

I was surprised by how moved I ended up being by Betty, on Mad Men. She's far, far better in the final season than she was at the start. Not just as a person, but just purely as a performance.

Yeah, Jones suited Betty to a T and really grew into the performance as the character grew.

Still need to get around to Last Man on Earth. Good to hear she does well in it. I agree she's just a very limited performer.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I liked how Mad Men built the characters over the years to the point that I disliked Betty and kinda liked Megan when Don got with her (even if Don passed up the psychiatrist who was the best) but by the end I couldn't stand Megan and found myself liking Betty and her arc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

What the hell she owned in that role

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else check out the season finale for Dream Corp LLC? It was an extra length episode that featured an almost unrecognizable Toby Kebbel as a convicted serial killer getting treatment. Also because the episode length was off they ended it with this weird quasi music video thing that was an amalgamation of all the dream sequences.

Dream Corp was real good this season, I love the aesthetic they've created

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Oh poo poo I completely missed that season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be released tomorrow. Can't wait, I really, really loved S1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyEijpJ9YL0

Bah looks like they're rolling back all the SOs finding out

e: Interesting thread on some of the the (hypothetical) BTS stuff that might have led to the death of the Marvel Netflix stuff.
https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 4, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I’ve never heard of a streaming season being released on a Wednesday but I’m into it

e: god dammit zoux

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Popelmon posted:

Oh poo poo I completely missed that season 2 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be released tomorrow. Can't wait, I really, really loved S1.

Well there goes my plans for my days off lmfao.

e: is it like tomorrow tomorrow, or midnight tonight tomorrow?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amazon usually put seasons up at around midnight.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Popelmon posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress yeah! :woop:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

zoux posted:

e: Interesting thread on some of the the (hypothetical) BTS stuff that might have led to the death of the Marvel Netflix stuff.
https://twitter.com/ballmatthew/status/1069649213498277889

I meant to post this. It seems to be pretty on the money with regards to where things start. At the end of the day, Netflix are getting pretty mercenary with what they want on their service and a bunch of expensive Marvel shows, that would've paid for themselves a while ago, are easy things to cut.

Further to that it's also come out that Netflix had some pretty strong reservations about doing 13 episode seasons but Disney pushed for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Thank lord Ru for family members who have Prime. So excited for Maisel.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1069974040180391937

lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Wanted to thank whoever recommended Bodied. It's amazing how quickly the movie can intentionally swerve back and forth between cringe and incredible.

Yeah that's the Kahn swerve. Can't believe I've never seen this one, if you like this movie go watch TORQUE and DETENTION

e:

X-O posted:

Not really surprised about Neil deGrasse Tyson at all sadly.

That thing about the phone is the exact pompous "Well actually..." kind of poo poo he pulls all the drat time except in a grosser than normal way. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if he responded to these allegations much like he's correcting the accusers more than refuting them.

Still catching up with the thread he did exactly this and it was horrible/unintentionally revealing as you'd expect

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Netflix/BBC Watership Down remake looks like poo poo :stare:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Popelmon posted:

The Netflix/BBC Watership Down remake looks like poo poo :stare:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

Hey cut it some slack, CG animation was hard back when this was made in 2003.

Oh... oh wait