Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
nYNAB is exclusively web-based. The app is strictly for inputting transactions and some other basic tasks.

I have no idea why they haven’t added a full income v. Expense report to the app since that would be real useful to getting an on the fly look at your current status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I heard the latest release of the app was supposed to let you do everything the web page could do. And yes I was only talking about nYnab.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

FateFree posted:

Quick question for your guys - how often do you use the mobile app vs the website? I prefer to use the web page for practically everything since it seems easier to work with for me but I wonder if I'm a weirdo and everyone else uses the app?

App: entering transactions on the go.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FateFree posted:

Quick question for your guys - how often do you use the mobile app vs the website? I prefer to use the web page for practically everything since it seems easier to work with for me but I wonder if I'm a weirdo and everyone else uses the app?

I put all my transactions in on the spot, so every day. That’s all I use the mobile app for though, because doing anything else either isn’t possible in the mobile app, or much easier on the web version.

e: I do think the iPad app has a bit more functionality than the phone app, but still.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

YNAB has a webpage? I use the desktop and mobile apps, daily.

There's a desktop app? I've been using either the iOS apps or the website on my computer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

YNAB4 has a desktop app. nYNAB uses a web “app.”

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I only use the desktop, but I also only put in my transactions every week or two which is pretty terrible.

I just got a new phone though so next year I plan on using the app after every transaction.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I tried that for about a month but it was too much hassle and veered me dangerously close to just not bothering with budgeting.

Cash transactions + once a week manual input has been my sweet spot.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I tried that for about a month but it was too much hassle and veered me dangerously close to just not bothering with budgeting.

This is my style too. Input cash throughout the week. Import and reconcile on Saturday mornings. Allocate the month's income and adjust budget the weekend before a new month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

FateFree posted:

I heard the latest release of the app was supposed to let you do everything the web page could do. And yes I was only talking about nYnab.
You wish. In the mobile app, still can't reconcile accounts, and reports are still very basic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It literally takes 12 seconds to input transactions one-handed on the phone app once you have all your regular locations GPS tagged.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It's not "literally 12 seconds" for me, and trying to force myself to do it would frustrate me enough to consider not doing it at all.

For me and my wife this was what was workable for us.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s totally fine, all I was saying is once the app GPS tags your grocery store or whatever, most of the info is filled out for you automatically. All you usually need to manually change next time is the dollar amount.

Whatever works for you though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry, this got weirdly aggressive.

My point was just that the full YNAB experience can sometimes be a bit overwhelming and you can still get a lot out of it even if you aren't meticulously writing down every transaction and checking your budget before every purchase.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, I’m out Christmas shopping with one of my daughters, and every purchase goes into mobile YNAB while I’m waiting for the debit transaction to complete. 8 so far today.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm at a point, where I'd rather have something like Quicken. The budgeting doesn't do anything for me, I'd just love to track expenses, ideally with multiple category levels instead of the fixed inflexible Master-/subcategory. All the old solutions look like crap (form needs to be right, not just function), and the new kids are all budgeting focused. :/

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The YNAB rules saved my rear end. I lost my job 8 months back, and couldn't manage to land a job until now, but because I had my six month emergency fund and I knew what I could cut back spending on, things were only just now starting to get hairy financially. I'm starting again from almost nothing, but it's better than what I would be otherwise.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm at a point, where I'd rather have something like Quicken. The budgeting doesn't do anything for me, I'd just love to track expenses, ideally with multiple category levels instead of the fixed inflexible Master-/subcategory. All the old solutions look like crap (form needs to be right, not just function), and the new kids are all budgeting focused. :/

Try MoneyDance.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

How do you all handle the emergency fund / buffer? For a while, I had my efund off budget and I buffered like a month in advance so i wasn't in the red while waiting for the second paycheck to come in.

Then my employment situation changed and I was worried how long my job would last, so I cut spending and started buffering way in advance (as a first line emergency fund).

That has since been resolved, and I feel pretty comfortable at my job and expect my paychecks to keep rolling in. It's annoying, though, to be budgeting 6 months in advance. Like a paycheck comes in, and then I have to click forward 6 months in the future and then apply a bunch of projections to categories that may or may not change. And then click back in time 6 months so I can stare at the current month's numbers as if I could osmose FIRE just by looking at my numbers.

I'm thinking of putting those six months of funding back off budget and buffering a month at a time.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Happiness Commando posted:

It's annoying, though, to be budgeting 6 months in advance.

Congrats, you are winning and have owned rule 4.

We actually do the entering in multiple months in the future but it's mostly a technicality. If you don't want to do this, you could just keep it on budget in a buffer or emergency fund category.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
We just have a line item called Emergency Fund that contains our buffer. We only budget one month ahead.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Most of my buffer budget is for expenses I'm not too worried about overspending like utilities, groceries, and rent. My funding goals for those are 6 months expenses, and I keep a note to track average monthly cost for components like internet and electric in utilities.

That does mean if I lose my job I don't have a budget for going out for drinks. Not sure if that's a good thing...

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

drive me nuts to school posted:

We just have a line item called Emergency Fund that contains our buffer. We only budget one month ahead.

That's what I do. Then if poo poo hits the fan, budget negative dollars to it. You can also add a note to the line item to remind you what the target amount is.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
being a month ahead is ideal and I do the emergency fund thing too
I also "hide" $100 each paycheck in a separate savings account and I'll reconcile that every 6 months or so and be like whoaaaa I have so much money, dump it all in Christmas or Trapeze depending on the season

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

drive me nuts to school posted:

We do the same thing. Taxes surprised us a little last year and we had to draw down but we just used this category and refilled it the next month.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i'm on vacation and I decided to just pay cash for everything so I don't have to do a shitload of entries in my vacation category.

feels great.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Same here, I just have a giant (not) pile of money category and when it needs to be used, add a negative transaction with a note explaining where it's going.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Happiness Commando posted:

That has since been resolved, and I feel pretty comfortable at my job and expect my paychecks to keep rolling in. It's annoying, though, to be budgeting 6 months in advance. Like a paycheck comes in, and then I have to click forward 6 months in the future and then apply a bunch of projections to categories that may or may not change. And then click back in time 6 months so I can stare at the current month's numbers as if I could osmose FIRE just by looking at my numbers.

I'm thinking of putting those six months of funding back off budget and buffering a month at a time.

Why not make a category named 'buffer' and put 6 months' worth of money in it, and then just budget each month when it actually starts?

I need to adjust my budget multiple times during a month, I have no idea how I would ever know what to budget half a year in advance.

(Future expenses are still planned obv, and budgeted with goals and future transactions.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

i'm on vacation and I decided to just pay cash for everything so I don't have to do a shitload of entries in my vacation category.

feels great.

Yea but points!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I get that there's room for variance, individual preferences, etc., and the exact conditions of being 'Rule 4' pre-nYNAB could be argued about and picked over ad nauseum.

Still, I wouldn't feel comfortable having six months' budget laid out in advance, because it breaks the 'roll with the punches' rule. If poo poo hits the fan today, in a big enough way that it's going to affect you into next month (hospital visit, job fuckery, Dire Straits reunion tour tickets), it'll invalidate the plans you made and budgeted for beyond next month.

Better to simply budget for month 2 once you receive month 1's salary imo. Even if it's mostly the same month-by-month, you can still be flexible enough to duck and dive as needed, when needed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I'm not gonna lose sleep over losing like six dollars of reward points

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Budgetwise seems like it could be interesting. I feel like I'm pretty easy to please, but right now no split transactions is a deal breaker. I will absolutely keep an eye on it, though.

I like financier for the most part, but some things that I don't like about it:
- It's not far from abandonware at this point, no real development happening.
- Pretty much zero reporting. Something like a pie chart of "Spending over time" and/or a "Spending by payee / category" would probably be sufficient for me. I don't feel like those are unrealistic.
- Dumb stuff like "losing money" when one of your split transactions doesn't retain it's category assignment. There is no visual indicator that something is amiss with the transaction. One day I expanded like 3 months worth of split transactions and found there was a non-trivial amount of money not categorized, which then reduces your "money to budget". Just give me a little red flag on the transaction line so I know to go back in and fix it.
- Similarly, when you have a Category for "Gifts" for instance. If you type out "Gifts" instead of "Gift<enter>" (with it's auto-complete), it will not link it to "Gifts". It's quite annoying and the cause of my previous complaint.
- There are times when I WANT to leave a transaction uncategorized (non-split transaction). Like if my spouse buys something and I enter the transaction only so I can reconcile, I'd like to be able to leave the category blank until she goes and fills it in. You CAN do this, but only if the Payee is not recognized (otherwise it will default to something used before). The workaround is make it a split transaction, and then delete all the split "line items" and it will do it. Sheesh.
- I recently had an issue where I COULD NOT get my account to reconcile, it was something stupid like $.66 off. So I got mad and just made an adjustment transaction. A day or two later I'm reconciling again and I'm off by that loving $.66. So I delete my adjustment and then it's all fine and good. I reconcile multiple times a week strictly to avoid dumb problems like that since I'll only have a few cleared/unreconciled transactions that could cause a problem.
- The spouse doesn't really like it due to some of these issues and has trouble accessing it from her work computer. Must be something to do with permissions/the couchDB backend it uses or something.
- A decent mobile interface. I don't need an app. A "responsive design" blah blah blah web interface would be more than fine.

Man if I were a big boy programmer I would absolutely make my own "slighty better financier". I don't care about automatic transaction imports and stuff. Financier without it's quirks and some reports would be just about perfect for me.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

TheCenturion posted:

Try MoneyDance.

Not the person you replied to but thanks for this suggestion - YNAB has been feeling more of a hassle than helpful lately and this looks a lot more like what I want now, or at least a good starting point for comparisons.

Not double-posting edit: Installed several and was unimpressed, I've been spoiled by YNAB4's polish, and since I don't "trust" bank auto-import none of them are going to be less effort. But I learned some lessons, like my categories probably suck, and I should probably make a lot more and make them more specific instead of subconsciously trying to fit everything on my monitor without having to scroll. Looks like I'm not going anywhere yet so it's worth a try.

uvar fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 8, 2018

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So I am still using the old YNAB4 and loving it. I will keep running this thing in a VM far past its shelf life until some other good alternative comes along.

Lately though I've noticed the performance has been suffering. I did see this mentioned in an old post on their forums that I thought I'd copy along to help others:

quote:

If you’d like to reduce the size of your files, you can open your budget in YNAB and press [ctrl-alt-shift-c] on Windows and [Shift+Option+Command+C] on a Mac. That will compress your budget folder.

I thought there was a way too to clear out transactions older than a certain date. Like I dont need to scroll past things from 2016, do you just hide reconciled transactions or is there an alternate way to do that? I also dont want to delete them and loose historical reporting options if I dont have to.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Make sure you’re reconciling often, too. Something like unreconciled transactions are kept in individual files for sync purposes.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Make sure you’re reconciling often, too. Something like unreconciled transactions are kept in individual files for sync purposes.

Thanks I'll have to do that, to be honest I never messed with reconciliation, just marked transactions as cleared once they went through.

Is there a way to reconcile up to a certain date? I like being able to scroll up and see transactions quickly from just a couple of months ago. Although if its a major speed improvement I guess I could just reconcile to be current and just use reporting as necessary. I've been using it non-stop since 2016 and dont want to lose out on any reporting features.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Thanks I'll have to do that, to be honest I never messed with reconciliation, just marked transactions as cleared once they went through.

Is there a way to reconcile up to a certain date? I like being able to scroll up and see transactions quickly from just a couple of months ago. Although if its a major speed improvement I guess I could just reconcile to be current and just use reporting as necessary. I've been using it non-stop since 2016 and dont want to lose out on any reporting features.

When you click the reconcile button, it asks you what date you'd like to reconcile as of. But reconciling doesn't remove or summarize prior transactions; they're still listed individually, in the register, same as always, just with a padlock icon instead of a green C or whatever.

I try to reconcile weekly, and I can scroll up to the very first transaction I ever put in, no problem.

My recollection is that reconciling changes how the transactions are stored in the backend, not how they're displayed to the user.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

The main difference on the UI end is that there's a little toggle to show or hide reconciled transactions. I keep mine hidden due to anxiety, but you don't ever have to touch the toggle if you don't want to.

The Clowning
Jan 10, 2007
I'm certainly not gonna sign for any more packages with the word "Congo" written in blood.
Hi all. I'm looking for advice on maintaining budgets in two different currencies, and on moving money between them.

I'm American, but I've lived in Europe for more than a decade. I plan to move back to the US in late 2019. I started using YNAB4 in January 2015, with one budget in euros. I stuck with it until January 2018, when I started moving money from my EU savings account (where it was earning basically nothing) to a US investment account and an Ally savings account. Each transfer was greater than my monthly net income, so YNAB showed that I was overspending by huge amounts. I tried logging the EUR part of the transfer like a normal expense and created a fake off-budget account to "collect" the transfer, but that didn't do the trick. After a while, I kind of threw up my hands and lost interest in figuring it out.

Now I'd really like to get back into the habit of using YNAB, especially as I prepare for an expensive international move, but I'm not sure how to deal with moving money from EUR to USD. I guess there are two options:
  • Keep separate EUR and USD budget files. I like this strategy because it helps me clearly visualize where my money and debt "live", but I can't figure out how to track big money transfers in a way that makes sense.
  • Keep one budget in one currency, and estimate amounts in the other currency. For example, my US accounts would be in the same budget as my EUR accounts, but the amounts would be estimated. This would solve the money transfer issue, but it's not as "clean".
Any tips or tricks? Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Create two budgets. Transfers out of the one are treated like payments to third parties. Transfers into the other are treated like random income from third parties.