Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like the change to elders. They're some fickle pricks at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If anything, stopping the 'my concubine is pregnant but I was away, wasn't I' spam would be worth the patch alone.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I do wonder if creating two bloodlines on one character doubles the chance his bloodline will try to emulate him. I've got a rather weird mix of a family focused bloodline with a cool influence close relatives ability, and the bloodworshipping bloodline, with the founder of the bloodline having nearly all the green traits and no negative traits (apart from missing his eye, hand, and part of his face). He was nice to his kids, and not so nice to his enemies.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
drat, there's also no mention of it fixing the bug making it impossible to get the duelist bloodline. That was an incredibly easy fix I found in like a minute. Or the ravager/seaking traits from Ragnarr's bloodline disappearing when you load a save.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also no mention of conversion weights for reformed pagans.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I don't think they consider that one a bug, unfortunately.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

This is a cool bug. At least now I know why my game randomly stops responding for a couple minutes at a time.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 3, 2018

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

- Being in Seclusion no longer blocks you from attempting to commit suicide.

Welp.

Question: is there any way to force-start the event where my son goes to the Varangians? I'm trying to duplicate a bug, and it's... fickle.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

No Pants posted:

This is a cool bug. At least now I know why my game randomly stops responding for a couple minutes at a time.

That is a lot of empire titles. If you still have the save you should send it in to Paradox.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Welp.

Question: is there any way to force-start the event where my son goes to the Varangians? I'm trying to duplicate a bug, and it's... fickle.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198402058&searchtext=

I'm a fan of this mod, but if you're on Ironman, I don't think so.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198402058&searchtext=

I'm a fan of this mod, but if you're on Ironman, I don't think so.

That's the problem, I'm trying to see if the very specific bug I had is caused by this mod or if it's in vanilla, maybe started with/caused by Holy Fury.

The problem: Full cognatic. Queen on the throne. Son in the varangians. Queen dies, son inherits... does not have the trait. I figured it was because he only had JUST joined the Varangians when she died. But then, a decade later, his dad dies. And it gives the event about having to go home because of the dad's death and inheriting, and that gives him the trait.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 4, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Welp.

Console: event TOG.3109

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, next time I get into the game I'll check the realm tab, but if I remember that law does not appear on that tab. Maybe I don't have the tech for it?

And look at this goon that married my daughter.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Console: event TOG.3109

That is definitely not what I wanted, but it DID show me the conditions for gaining the trait and they do EXPLICITLY mention "father", so maybe this is a bug.

I was trying to get my son to ask to go to the Varangians, but I think it specifically calls for asking the FATHER if they can go, so that isn't happening. It's enough variables to have to worry about to begin with while reproducing it. (must be queen with male inheriting son while I am full cognatic, father must be alive, then I can kill the queen, he inherits, then kill father.)

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 4, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

That is definitely not what I wanted, but it DID show me the conditions for gaining the trait and they do EXPLICITLY mention "father", so maybe this is a bug.

I was trying to get my son to ask to go to the Varangians, but I think it specifically calls for asking the FATHER if they can go, so that isn't happening. It's enough variables to have to worry about to begin with while reproducing it. (must be queen with male inheriting son while I am full cognatic, father must be alive, then I can kill the queen, he inherits, then kill father.)
Yeah, the event to try to join the varangians is normally coded to only fire for men in their ruling father's court.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh jeeze, there's more laws, i just needed to scroll down.

Okay, I'm kinda sick of this game, i've had 4 kings in a row die within a year of taking the throne, and now my kingdom, which included most of England, is completely shattered. Like I don't even have a chance to discover plots before they kill my king. And because of this, I no longer have any claims on any of the territories I lost.

Time to switch over to someone else. Maybe try out A Norse kindom, or create an early france or germany.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 4, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, I'm kinda sick of this game, i've had 4 kings in a row die within a year of taking the throne, and now my kingdom, which included most of England, is completely shattered. Like I don't even have a chance to discover plots before they kill my king. And because of this, I no longer have any claims on any of the territories I lost.

Moral: don't give Spymaster to an Ambitious character who hates you.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I’ve only been assassinated once in this 250+ years playthrough but the amount of plots targeting me or my family seems to have ramped the f up since I last played (before Jade Dragon). I discover them so often I barely pay attention beyond checking how my spymaster and wife feel about things.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Help, my goal is getting my vassals to paint the map (f*ck the mongols)

Do I spend a century dismantling this rear end in a top hat's dynasty and get his vassals to go independent, or just make the Chinese scorch the earth? I'm pretty sure you can't make any titles that were in the conquered land.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Why not attempt both? Murder the piss out of the dynasty while building up the Chinese Funbux to sic the imperials on them.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh dammit they're killing the "use unbloodlined branches of family to create more bloodlines" strategy

Or making it way harder apparently

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jedit posted:

On one hand, my Spymaster's my wife who's not only my lover, but my friend. On the other, she is both Ambitious and Envious- should I worry?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Is there a drawback to trusting your wife’s “I was away” child is yours? It gives you a potential heir, I don’t see a problem.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ It fucks up any breeding program you had. Doesn't matter if he's of your dynasty, he still derives traits from the real father.

CommissarMega posted:

On one hand, my Spymaster's my wife who's not only my lover, but my friend. On the other, she is both Ambitious and Envious- should I worry?

Not until she's killed enough of your legitimate heirs that her own child is in line.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CommissarMega posted:

A bit. If you try to invite others to your plot, you can see the pluses and minuses for why they will/won't support a plot. -- base reluctance, and a variable amount for (dis)liking you and (dis)liking the target. And the moral/amoral axis. It can look somerhing like this (phone posting and drawing on my memory, might not be 100% accurate):

-- opinion of duke x(target) [likes the duke and so doesn't want to kill him]
+++ opinion of count y(plotter) [likes your character and so wants to back your plot, likes you a bit more than they like duke x]
+ amoral [has deceitful trait]
-- base reluctance

In that case it would be four pluses against four minuses, and they won't back your plot but might be bribed to do so.

I don't think you're in danger because positive opinion can offset amoral, and I think your wife would still be at only one +.

By the way, half your wife's stats are added to your own. But not if she's a councilor (for a given attribute, a spymaster will add diplomacy, martial, stewardship and learning but not intrigue, a marshal wife would add all but martial, etc.). It's not advisable to have one's wife as councilor, except as spymaster sometimes. If you have no other high intrigue spymasters who are also loyal, go with your wife.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Is there any mod manager that can tell me if two mods I'm using modify the same file and would conflict? Been searching and couldn't find anything obvious.

Frankly, with how much support Paradox has for modding, I'm surprised that's not built into their launcher already.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I keep getting fatherless cucked events after my wife gives birth and then "confesses" after accidentally choking on the communion.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

^^^ It fucks up any breeding program you had. Doesn't matter if he's of your dynasty, he still derives traits from the real father.

Not until she's killed enough of your legitimate heirs that her own child is in line.

Out of curiosity, how does this work with bloodlines? If you aren’t the real father but act as if you are, do they inherit your bloodlines anyway?

On the other side of the equation, will they inherit bloodlines from their real father even if said real father is never identified?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Bloodlines are a social construct and thus they reflect who is believed to be the father. If there is no known father then they inherit all of the mother's bloodlines.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Has anyone ever been able to get the duelist trait by dueling? There's something in the code that's supposed to pop up an event for it at random after you've gotten a certain amount of experience (if you don't already have a lifestyle trait), but I've never once seen it, even on duel-heavy characters without lifestyles. The code looks okay, so I'm not sure; it's only a 5% chance of firing per duel when you qualify, so I might just have been very unlucky.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
I believe it's known to be broken and I think they mentioned a fix as part of the upcoming patch but I could be wrong.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

MaxieSatan posted:

I believe it's known to be broken and I think they mentioned a fix as part of the upcoming patch but I could be wrong.
Definitely nothing in the early patch notes about it. Failing to give the duelist bloodline is a known issue that's apparently not being fixed; I haven't heard that about the lifestyle trait.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

My Spymaster was a loyalist and had 87 favor of me. He was actually the 2nd king because he became regent to the first king that died in that string of 4 fast deaths. The guy who replaced him was a Zelot and was still in the green for favor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't make your heir spymaster either

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Don't make your heir spymaster either

Unless they’re like, a strong genius and you would prefer to switch to them while they’re still young to get the most out of their reign.

Take the childhood event that makes them both ambitious and your rival, too.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
The Pope is my tribute, and he Crusaded against those Mongols. He asked me to join, we crushed them, and then this happened

:thunk:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jedit posted:

I got a kid out of a concubine who was Strong and Quick while my character was a eunuch.

Whoever she was loving, I want him in my court.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Slightly weird to be recipient of a Crusade and then get excommunicated.

Who can understand the mind of Pope?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I got a kid out of a concubine who was Strong and Quick while my character was a eunuch.

Whoever she was loving, I want him in my court.

Did the impossibility of this kid come up at all or did the eunuch just sort of accept it like, "No dick, sounds legit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unless they’re like, a strong genius and you would prefer to switch to them while they’re still young to get the most out of their reign.

Take the childhood event that makes them both ambitious and your rival, too.

I've totally done that, having a king everyone hates, just let his adult son take over and we're good again. All I can think of is another power had plots against me that killed people so quickly. I would have kept playing if I still had claims, but I was almost back to square one and I have no desire to reconquer northren Ireland and Wales again one fabricated claim at a time.