Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Alpha3KV posted:

I don't really know what it is, but something about the difference between Feene's dialogue portrait and 3D model bothers me a lot more than any of the other girls.

You're not the only one. For some reason, I feel her model is far deeper into the uncanny valley than the others. It may be that everyone else has some distinct characteristic that pops out and lessens the uncanny, but her model is basically a barbie doll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Alpha3KV posted:

I don't really know what it is, but something about the difference between Feene's dialogue portrait and 3D model bothers me a lot more than any of the other girls.

Omobono posted:

You're not the only one. For some reason, I feel her model is far deeper into the uncanny valley than the others. It may be that everyone else has some distinct characteristic that pops out and lessens the uncanny, but her model is basically a barbie doll.

Thought I was the only one. Maybe it's that her face is really long? I don't know. Certain angles just really stand out with her. Her animated appearences look fine, but there's something about the 3D model that isn't quite translating.

Dr. Snark posted:

I'm not sure if I'm on the ball about this, but so far it seems like Feene is pretty much the only heroine so far who seems to have genuine chemistry with Wake. Hell, even Aya's downright saintly compared to the other NPC jackasses in the other routes - and her concerns are actually somewhat justified given Feene's reactions!

It feels like it's night and day compared to the weirdness of everyone else barring Fuuko.

I think you're mostly on point. The main thing you might be seeing is that, unlike the other heroines, Feene really admires Wake. Not to say that the other heroines don't of course. Far from it. But Feene's whole thing is that Wake helped save her hometown and family and friends. She acts fairly natural around him, but there's small flashes that remind you she still kind of puts him on a pedestal. That makes for cute interactions. Plus, Feene is just a really earnest and niave character. She's a little like Narika, except Narika's route is getting weird and Feene's route seems largely grounded so far.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean I know teenage melodrama comes with the territory but holy gently caress y'all

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

~Bonding Focus: Chapter 5 (Part 2): Feene, Narika, Chloe~

That sure was a nice break, huh? Just relaxing with Feene. Taking some pictures. Fighting off an incredibly protective/possibly thirsty Starball player. Just a nice, peaceful, simplistic chain of events.

Well, now that we've mostly caught up with Feene, we need to turn our attention back towards the other two focus heroines. For those of you with bad memory, Chloe and Narika's routes were moving beyond the easy-going portion and getting a little concerning.

So we're going to go in reverse order for these. Feene still has four events remaining (sort of), which should make for a nice cool down from Chloe and Narika's poo poo.

-Ritual Hall-

Ready to go this time, Chloe?

...That depends on what 'something different' means.

I want to go further than just holding hands to initiate the Classmating.

Oh...well...

Is it a bad idea? I thought it'd be fun.

Well, it's definitely a step up from holding hands.

I'm willing to try it and see what happens though. Maybe it'll help.

*Classmating*

Last new class for the time being. There aren't too many left at this point.

Astromancer is mage with booster LUC and an insane hairdo. They have a variety of different skills, including the third tier element spells.

They also get access to status recovery and area heal. Good coverage unit. I think their design is a bit too goofy though.

That was more exhausting than I thought.

Yeah. I don't know how, but that sure felt like a step in the right direction.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll start thinking of other things we can do. I better get going. See you next time!

I have absolutely no idea what it is they're doing. Hugging...? Classmating isn't physically sexual (the girls would be WAY more apprehensive and embarrassed if it were). Beats me.

-Faculty Office-

I still can't believe you just took that lying down.

But it's your choice, so I've got to respect it. Moving on, it seems like there's something else bothering you. What's up?

Millica sent me another letter... She wanted to know when the next concert would be held. She's counting the days. She must be so eager to see the next concert. I can't even tell her I'm banned.

I tried to warn you to be careful with making promises like that.

I know... It's just...

Then just screw the Academy. Do it without their permission.

If we do that, the Field Hospital will definitely report us. I don't want to cause any more trouble for the Choir Club. Mr. Watts might try to disband them if we tried that. Is there anything else we can do?

You're kind of tying my hands on this one, Chloe.

The only other option is going straight to Watts.

You don't really think he's going to listen, do you?

No, but what else can you do? Besides, won't know unless you give it a shot.

-Guidance Room-

Excuse me, Mr. Watts? May I speak with you?

What is it now? Can't you see I'm busy?

Not this again. The verdict is final, and I will hear no more of this.

Someone please tell me what the gently caress Watts' official title is? Why are we not discussing this with Mattero?

Please! Just this once, won't you make an exception!?

Ms. Chloe. You have already been suspended once for this ridiculous behavior.

At least read her letter. It means so much to her...

The mere question you are asking is an egregious insult to this Academy! If you continue to flout your duties as a teacher, the Choir Club will be disbanded.

B-But...

So you're just not going to listen to anything she has to say!? You're a disgrace!

Stop... Let's go. I'm sorry that we disturbed you, Mr. Watts.

*Chloe leaves*

She's sorry. I sure as hell am not. I hope you're the last to die when the Star Wall gets breached, just so you can suffer for as long as possible.

Y-You...

That's right. I'm the monster here. Sure.

-Hallway-

Chloe, why do you just let him trample you like that? He's not your boss. Stand up for yourself.

If we continued, he would have gotten both of us in serious trouble.

You really think I care what happens to me? I'd be totally fine just walking right back in there and breaking that guy's jaw.

Besides, he was threatening to disband the Choir Club.

You just love to ruin my fun.

...But, I wish I could have performed.

Alright, enough of that. Time to switch gears.

Come on, we'll go get something to eat. How about ramen?

Why?

Food makes me feel better when I'm bummed out.

-Restaurant-

That's good stuff. Can't believe Chlotz found a place like this. How's yours?

Well let's hope that party doesn't get out of hand.

Hey...

What's up?

By the way, can I trade you my egg for that piece of fish cake? I'm not a big fan of soft-boiled eggs. I just can't stand the yolk, you know?

Sure, go for it.

Thanks. This is so cute, the spiral makes it look like a little galaxy.

No problem. I'm just glad to see you happy again. You've had a rough go of it lately.

Okay, so that didn't go too well, but at least we got to see Chloe smiling again there at the end. That's something positive! Sure, the little sick girl is going to die of heartbreak when her idol fails to keep her promise to her and completely shatters her faith in humanity, but let's look at the bright side.

Narika time is next. Last time we saw her she was prepping for the big important Grand Conference. She also showed total disrespect to Sasami. That part was pretty sweet, not going to lie. You can't just redeem yourself for lovely behaviour by making a last minute excuse, Sasami!

-Ritual Hall-

Let's get it going, Narika. Still way behind on my Star Child recruitment.

Alright.

Such as?

I was doing a lot of research on my own... I was trying to figure out how to create the strongest Star Children. But there are so many things. Maybe we could try them one at a time...

Where are you guys getting this research from?

I guess I don't mind. We need strong Star Children, so if you guys have ideas then we might as well try them out and see what works and what doesn't.

So, what do we do exactly? Something like what me and Chloe tried, maybe?

Yes... well...

What's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?

Ex-Excuse me!? You want--

Shh! Please don't say it out loud. It's embarrassing.

Sorry. Well, I guess we can try it.

G-Great. Here goes...

*Classmating again*

...Whew.

Alright, it's done...

Yes, it is.

I had no idea... I never imagined I'd do anything like that.

That makes two of us. I never expected you of all people to suggest something like that.

Yes. And there are still so many other things to try! I hope we can do them all!

Let's... let's slow it down a little, okay?

(What the hell is going on with this girl?)

-2nd-Year Classroom-

It's time for the Grand Conference. You psyched up?

It'll be you, me, and the student council president there.

I'm going to this one, too? What am I going to be doing?

All you have to do is watch over me from the back. That's more than enough...

Got it. I can do that. You can count on me.

Thanks. I knew you would say that. Just knowing that you're beside me...

Good to hear.

It's almost time...

Right. Let's get a move on to the Church.

I'll be back really soon.

*Narika leaves*

Hmm... I should probably hit the restroom before we go. Kind of awkward if I have to get up in the middle of the conference.

(Huh? Is someone out there in the hall? It better not be Sasami trying to spy.)

-Hallway-

Please...

*The screen brightens to white and then fades back to normal*

Gah... What the hell was that?

Oh, were you peeking? You're such a naughty boy.

...What did you just say? What's going on with you, Narika? You're acting weird.

But we don't have much time. Let's get to the Church, quick!

Whoa! Hey! Ease up on the arm!

-Church of Aterra-

A pleasure.

Three members of the Church, myself included...

[Church Official]: We shall not rest until the threat of the monsters is eradicated.

And three Disciples, one of whom was the winner of the Strategy Conference.

This council was formed to gather all of the world's expertise against the demons. Let us all maintain focus on the matter at hand, and have a spirited debate.

Then let's get started. First, we'll present AngelMarker's plan. My associate will explain the details.

[AM Employee]: Yes, sir. If you could first take a look at the materials we've provided...

So this works the same way as the student conferences?

[Council President]: Yes. We'll explain the submitted proposals, then there'll be a debate.

I see. Narika is going last this time, though. I hope she doesn't get psyched out from hearing the other two plans.

[Council President]: Oh, I don't think you have to worry about that...

Well, you've got a point there.

(She's definitely changed. With the way some of the other girls are acting, I should be excited that one of them has turned things around. So why am I not?)

(Eh. It's probably because of those finger sandwiches from the catering table. I knew they didn't look quite right. Probably out of date. Cheap-rear end conference organizers.)

[Church Official]: ...Which is why the Church proposes a policy of preemptive strikes. That is all.

Lastly, we have the representative from the Academy, Narika Shina.

Thank you.

*Later*

Now that all three groups have shared their proposals... We will begin discussion of their merits. I encourage everyone not to hesitate if they have something to say.

[AM Employee]: In that case, I--

[Council President]: Narika!?

Narika, far be it from me to lecture someone else on etiquette, but the AngelMarker rep was talking. Don't just cut him off.

Would he mind if I made my statement first?

(What the hell is she doing?)

Narika, you're speaking out of turn. Show some respect.

No... we don't mind. Go ahead, Narika.

Thank you. About the Church's "Project Michael" proposal...

*One verbal rear end-kicking later*

...Which is why I believe this proposal is grievously flawed.

Hm. She does have a point.

Reduced to rubble? What the holy hell is "Project Michael"? Was the Church going to just pound an overrun city with artillery and call that a job well done?

[Church Official]: Well then, what exactly do you propose that we do?

The Academy has proposed a plan to eliminate monsters through siege tactics. We'll lead the monsters to an empty park, surround them, and close in. This method reduces civilian casualties and has a low chance of monsters escaping.

[Church Official]: Hah. Assuming everything goes exactly as you plan, that is.

If God's Gift, the Disciples, and AngelMarker Industries work together... I see no reason why the operation shouldn't be a success. Wouldn't you agree, Mr. Enzea? Wake?

Me and monster killing? Of course I agree with that. That's my whole deal.

I'd say her plan is worth a try.

Thank you.

[Church Official]: Rrrghh... Head Priest Mattero! Are you going to sit idly by while a mere child says whatever she pleases!?

Narika is present here as an official representative of the Academy. There is no difference in rank between you and she on this council. So kindly refrain from saying anything that would undermine this.

Not to question your leadership here Mattero, but you kind of let Narika get away with some disrespect of her own just a little while ago. Keep it fair, man.

[Church Official]: Grr... old fool...

What was that you said?

*Church Official loving books it*

[Council President]: Looks like he left in a huff. He's been quite humiliated by Narika.

May we continue the council without the absent member?

No objections here.

Then allow me to go into detail on how we'd lure the monsters into the park...

[Council President]: Who'd have imagined the day Narika would go toe to toe with Enzea Marker?

(Yeah...)

So that was a thing that happened. Narika is... kind of straddling the line between confidence and being an outright dick. Success is going straight to the girl's head it seems.

Whatever. Probably fine. Fine, just like our other focus heroine. How's Feene getting along?

-Old Schoolhouse-

You ready, Feene? It's Starball finals time.

You remembered.

Come on. I wouldn't forget something like that.

(Thank Star God I have that day planner. Saved my rear end on more than one occasion.)

Besides, I made a promise, and there are no small promises. Every one kept builds trust.

Yes, that's right.

But the match is about to begin. I was worried something might have happened to you...

Let's hurry to the gym. I hope I can get a good shot of the Starball Team's big moment.

-Gymnasium-

[Starball Player A]: Hey, pass it over here!

Looks like they're really pushing hard.

Hrm... It looks like the other team has the upper hand.

You probably shouldn't go cursing people, Feene. Those can end up worse than you intended.

Th-Then what should I do?

I think you should just stick to doing what you originally came here to do. You know, photography.

Oh! Right, I'm here to take photos!

I'm sorry... I worked myself into a tizzy over the idea of losing... Ohhhh... But I'm just aching for a way to help.

And here I thought you didn't want to go joining the team.

Huh...? Did you say something?

Nope. It's a bit loud in here, so you must have misheard. We should just focus on taking pictures.

Yes, let's!

*One intense Starball game later, I assume*

Coming down to the wire. There's only five minutes left and they're down by three.

Things aren't looking up for us...

Ow!

Oh!?

Relax, Feene. It's a foul. It happens. Oh, looks like they're taking a time out.

Owwwwwww... I think I twisted my ankle...

Aya, are you hurt!?

*Feene runs over*

Ahaha, don't look so worried. I'm fine. I just need to last five more minutes, and I'll make those last three points and... Arrrrrgh!

Look how swollen it is! You can't play like that!

Hah... And this is my last game too. I'm sorry... I guess you won't be able to send my picture back home looking like this, huh? I'm sorry, Feene...

That's not...

M-Me!?

Yeah... We don't have any more players to substitute in. And these guys are tougher than they look. There's no way we could win with only four people in the game.

But... But I'm not on the team! I turned you down...

Don't worry about that. As long as you're a Disciple, you're qualified.

drat, Aya. If I didn't know any better I'd say you planned this out completely.

But, this is your team. I didn't even help with practice, I couldn't...

Please, Feene.

Aya...

Not that I agree with how she's pushing this on you, but I think you should just go for it Feene. Besides, I'd love to get some pictures of you kicking rear end.

But, sir...

[Starball Player A]: Feene, we all want you to help.

[Starball Player B]: We'll still have a chance of winning this with your help!

Everyone is begging you to join. You can't just back down now, can you?

...Very well.

[Starball Players]: Alright!

That's the Feene I know! I'm counting on you.

Yes, I promise...

Show them what you're made of, Feene!

Yes... I promise I'll do that as well.

I will win and you will have the greatest photo opportunity of all time!

Feene, use my uniform. I have a spare on the bench.

Well isn't that just convenient. And it just so happens to be Feene's size, too! Wow!

Thank you. I'll change right away!

[Referee]: Substitution! The time on the clock is 4 minutes 50 seconds. Game on!

*Then the Starball game wrapped up*

-Old Schoolhouse-

The post-game meeting took a while.

It's cool. I just finished printing out the pictures.

Really!? Hmmmm. Let me see them...

I bet you could make a comfortable living as a photographer.

I think you're going a little overboard. I'm not THAT good.

Oh, no. Believe me, I'm not. If you photographed the other players like this, they'd fall in love with you.

Right. I'm sure Aya would be all over him after seeing his sweet photography of her.

Does that mean you would, too?

Huh? Oh, um... I-I suppose... B-But really it's just a turn of phrase used to praise your pictures... I wouldn't give it a second thought...

Right, sorry. I was reading a bit too much into that.

Er... But that doesn't mean you don't have to think about it, just...

What do you want me to think, exactly?

Feene, are you here?

*And Aya shows up to cut the tension*

Oh, yes. Right here.

Thank you so much for today's game! Did you expect to carry the team the whole time?

Oh, but the last shot was made by your teammate.

Well, that was thanks to your expert passing. Hey, are those the pictures you just took!? Lemme see, lemme see!

How about you ask instead of just grab?

Yeah, that's because I took those photos.

Ugh... So this is your fault.

Last time I checked I wasn't your team photographer. I'm only here to take pictures of Feene. If you're not happy living in the background then that's your problem.

I don't give a rat's rear end about your pictures.

What's the yuri version of cockblocking? Or is it still technically cockblocking because a dude is the one getting in the way?

I-I took plenty of pictures of the whole team, Aya. I'll make you some copies.

Thank you! You should send them to your friends back home, too. Let them see the friends you've made out here! What do you think? Our team can hold its own against your friends back home, right?

Yes, you're right... They're a great team. Am I really part of the team now...?

Of course you are! Now let's go celebrate our victory!

Oh, er, but...

Don't worry about me. Go and have some fun. If you don't then Aya might end up hanging around here longer.

Okay. I'll go then. Thank you for taking such lovely pictures of me.

So Aya ended up getting exactly what she wanted in the end. Oh well, so much for Photography, I guess.

Before we finish this, let's get Feene's next Classmating event out of the way. She'll have two more actual events in the next update which will get her finally caught up with the other focus heroines.

-Ritual Hall-

Are you ready for Classmating, Feene? You seem a little zoned out.

Oh... Yes. I-I think... I'm okay...

Are you sure? You're not sick, are you?

Oh, no. That's not it...

What do you mean?

I'm embarrassed to touch you... Wh-What has happened to me...? We haven't even begun...

It's embarrassing for me too, you know. I thought I mentioned that before.

Y-You feel the same way!? I didn't think you'd feel anything when you touched me...

I'm not heartless, Feene.

That is not what I wanted to imply! I simply did not think I made you embarrassed...

Let's begin the ritual...

Sure. Things are a little awkward now, but let's just do what we can.

Yes... I would like to do anything I can to help. Please be gentle.

It's cute how all of you think I can control that.

*Classmating happens again. No more new classes left to show now*

*pant* *pant* *pant* How was it? Was I able to commune with you...?

I think it went pretty well. Good work.

Oh... I'm just glad it all turned out so well.

Sorry, I may have been confusing things for you.

But... you weren't. Just... Next time, could you squeeze harder...?

What did you say?

O-Oh, nothing... Please, forget it.

Are you fine with orange juice?

I'll just go with you.

Oh, yes, that's much better.

There we are, another Bonding Focus out of the way. Except not really. Feene had to get an entire update just to catch up with Narika and Chloe, so now we need a Part 3 Bonding Focus in order to wrap up everyone's current event block. At least we're all caught up on Feene now.

Oh, wait. That's right. The fruits of my Star Child creating labor.

After slacking off on the City Level for the past two chapters, I had Wake and the heroines pump out a full squad of Star Children, took them out to cuddle with the Sagitta a little, then set them free in Fort City.

As such, Fort City has risen from Level 15 to Level 23. Pretty much everything has something new in store. The maximum number of Scavengers has also gone up.

The shop has put out a few stat drop protection accessories. Not really of any use. I'd rather keep everyone rocking the Rapid Rings for speed boosts.

I pick up some armor upgrades for our main teams, as well as weapon upgrades for the original Team A(wful) in order to try and keep them competitive for as long as I can.

Potion EX - Better healing potion
Bond Shard - Better revival item
Defaulter - Nulls enemy buffs
Clean Slate - Nulls your debuffs
Panacea - Nulls status effects. *Lovesickness not included (the item description actually includes that part)

These items also became available. Nothing incredible.

This item on the other hand. This is a good one. It's a good idea to carry some of these with you. Very helpful for when you hit a floor and just feel like blazing through it as quickly as possible (like if you are trying to get to the boss for example). Use this and you can find the portal without having to wander blindly around.

The Lab Board has two quests for these creepy looking dudes. The items are nothing special, but those are some new looking enemy designs.

The Guild has one new quest for an item called 'Black Shard'. We'll keep an eye out for them.

The gift shop has a range of new... gifts.

Despite what you may be thinking, no, this is not the gift that is hated by all the heroines. In fact, the only two heroines that dislike this gift are Fuuko and Serina. Chloe, Torri, Feene, Ellie, and Narika would all be excited if Wake gave them a copy of a book detailing ways to make their boobs bigger.

Meanwhile, Fuuko and Serina, the two heroines that have openly voiced a desire to have bigger racks, would not like this. :iiam:

There are some new equip accessories as well. We've got Angel Wings to compliment the Demon Wings. A new brooch, some earrings, glasses, the usual.

There are some odd additions though. Mysterious Plume and Ether Visor. Then there's a stylish crown, as well as the ability to give the girls a top-knot.

There are some other things like ribbons and a tiara that I haven't shown yet either. I'll play Santa and spread the holiday gifts around so that I can get some screenshots for the next update. Someone asked for the 'Persona' Mask, but that has yet to make an appearance unfortunately.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

So either Narika is nursing a split personality or is using some kind of self-hypnosis from what I gathered during her event.

Umm...that's...probably bad.

Also sheesh, Aya, I was trying to be nice about you but nooooo, you had to be obsessive and everything...

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Chloe probably suggested arm wrestling over the altar. Narika probably asked whoever the hell possesses her when she goes out to debate, so no clue what kind of degeneracy she's found there.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Focus Bonding: Chapter 5 (Part 3): Feene, Narika, Chloe~

Okay, this time we're going to finish this. I know everyone is looking forward to seeing how badly the cast will gently caress up the next dungeon and all the repercussions that entails.

So let's get it over with. Going to be honest with you guys, this won't be a lighthearted series of events overall. Even Feene's is going to end on a tiny bit of a downer.

-Faculty Office-

Hey, you wanted to see me?

Would you come with me?

Oh, sure. I can do that.

(I'm sure this will be nothing but a good time. Not like I can turn her down of course.)

I knew you'd say that. Thank you.

Well, I'm still your manager after all. Can't just let you go on your own.

And what a manager you are.

She's still on your mind, huh?

She was so excited about it, I couldn't bear to tell her the bad news.

I understand. Well, just give me a minute and I'll be good to go.

Sure, I'll wait for my trusty manager to return.

-Field Hospital-

Alright, we should probably hit the reception desk first.

Hold on, I'm going with you.

-Reception-

Excuse me.

[Receptionist]: Yes, may I help you?

We'd like to see Millica.

Why's that? She can't be that sick, can she?

[Receptionist]: I apologize put patient confidentiality prevents me from answering that question.

Yyyeeeah. Probably should have thought about that before we came down here. Makes sense that they wouldn't just let strangers wander in to a little girl's room.

Yes, I'm Chloe.

[Millica's Mother]: I'm Millica's mother.

*gasp* P-Pleased to meet you.

[Millica's Mother]: I can't believe you came all the way here to see my daughter. I'll take you to her.

Thank you very much.

That was some amazing timing.

[Millica's Mother]: Before we go see Millica, there's something I want to mention.

[Millica's Mother]: But she says that all she needs is to hear you sing before going in.

(Oh come on Star God... really? Just going to keep rubbing Chloe's face in it? I thought you were a bro.)

[Millica's Mother]: The concert means everything to her right now. Please don't tell her it's cancelled. Please, can you keep it a secret?

I... Of course I can.

[Millica's Mother]: Thank you for understanding. I'll take you to her room.

-Hospital Room-

[Millica's Mother]: Millica... Look who's here!

Hi, Millica.

Also God's Gift! Yay!

We came all this way to visit you. Look, we even brought you flowers.

For me? Oh, they're so pretty, thank you so much!

I hope you feel better soon.

*giggle* Chloe, when do I get to hear you sing again? Will it be tomorrow? Or the day after tomorrow?

I-I know you will...

*cough*

[Millica's Mother]: Are you okay, Millica? Here, have some water.

We should let her get some rest, Chloe.

R-Right. I'll see you real soon, okay Millica?

[Millica's Mother]: Millica, I'm sure Chloe is very busy. You can see her next time.

Okay, I'll wait. But promise me you'll sing next time! Bye-bye!

-Reception-

She looked so happy, but it felt like it was a real strain on her. We need to throw that concert after all. I want to do whatever I can for her.

That nosy teacher came by again? I told you to send her away.

(Oh, come on...)

[Receptionist]: I apologize. She didn't look like she was here to complain about the concert.

What would she have to complain about? That concert was a mistake.

Hey! We can hear you, rear end in a top hat!

*gasp* Stop...

Oh, so you pests are still here. Get out of my hospital at once.

So you're the little turd that got the concert cancelled and lodged those complaints?

And why wouldn't I? Your cheap songs have nothing to do with medicine.

We need more soldiers on the battlefield, not cheery patients in the ward.

What kind of hack are you? She's giving patients a little bit of courage and the hope that they might actually live to enjoy the rest of their lives.

The gently caress did you just say!?

Are you saying that Disciples are pawns!? Take that back! You know what they've been through, you were a Disciple once!

I was. That's why I'm going to tell the Academy about your behavior. Never come back here again, do you understand me?

*The "Doctor" leaves*

I know how you feel, but we'd better leave. If he shows his face again there is a very real chance that I'll make him into a patient of his own hospital.

Oh man, who else is having a good time? Could you imagine if this game had an Evil route? Half the extended cast would be dead by now.

Again, I want to remind everyone that Curaoke is a system that exists in this world which releases Star Energy through song and relieves fatigue. This guy is a total quack and has no business running a hospital.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Anyway, we've got another matter to attend to. The little dying girl is going to have to wait a bit longer.

Uh, hey there Narika. How's...uh...how's it going today?

The plan we proposed at the Joint Strategy Council was officially approved!

Oh, that's awesome news. Congratulations.

(Okay, this seems like the normal Narika so far. Maybe I've been exaggerating things. Still, I should probably do some slight probing, just to be safe.)

And I have you to thank, Wake.

Oh come on, Narika. It was you and the other Disciples that pushed it through. I just sat around and jotted notes occasionally.

Listen, not to go changing the subject or anything, but how have you been feeling lately?

How am I feeling...? Um... the same as always. Why do you ask?

I'm just a little worried about you, is all.

If you say so. Just promise me you'll take a break and get some rest if you start to feel sick.

I'm all right. I get ten hours of sleep every night. Sleeping is kind of a hobby of mine.

A girl after my own heart. Sleeping rules. Can't remember the last time I got ten hours of it though.

I like to surround myself in bed with my stuffed dolls...

...I mean...I've got a plush Psyduck and a Mage Chocobo nearby. Those aren't dolls though! :argh:

If you don't mind, could I have a moment...? Now that the plan is going forward, I want to do a field survey beforehand.

You mean the park? I should probably tag along with you. If I'm part of this plan then I'd like to scope the place out myself.

Thank you. Let's head on out.

-Downtown-

The park is just ahead of here.

Hm? Someone's coming our way.

Not really any of your business. Move aside.

[Punk A]: Sorry, but nothin' doin'. Isn't that right?

[Punk B]: That's right, bro.

Excuse me, but... what is this about?

[Punk A]: Gotta pay the road fee. It's everything you got, clothes included. Well?

Aaaah!

Hey! Hands off, or I will break every bone in your bodies!

[Punk A]: Hey-ey! Ah... I know you. You're that weirdo they call "God's Gift" or something.

[Punk B]: We're only interested in this girlie here. You can take a hike.

That's it! Time for me to cripple you shitwads for life!

[Punk A]: I wouldn't get any closer if I were you. Don't you see this gun I'm holding?

[Punk B]: Take one step closer and there's gonna be a new hole in this girlie's head.

*sigh*

[Punk A]: That's right. You just stay put there. Alright, let's take the girl and scram.

[Punk B]: Yeah, good call, bro.

Why doesn't anyone ever take my threats seriously? Why is everyone around here so goddamn stupid?

[Punk A]: What did you say?

Narika! Close your eyes!

Solar Flare!

*The screen flashes white*

[Punk A]: Argh... Dammit! He used flash magic!

By the way, Wake can do that now. And just like in Dragonball Z, this incredibly useful ability will be immediately shelved and rarely used. No, he can't use it in battle.

Come on, Narika. Let's make tracks.

Th-Thank you.

*Narika and Wake loving book it*

[Punk A]: Gah! You're not getting away that easy! Quit messing around and go after them!

[Punk B]: R-Right away!

-Park-

*pant* *pant* *pant*

You doing okay? Did they hurt you?

Yes... I'm all right.

Good to hear.

[Punk B]: On it!

They just won't give up, will they? They are determined to die.

I don't understand... Why are they after me?

Not sure, but I plan to find out. I'll need to make sure you're safe first though. Get behind that tree for a minute.

All right.

-Trees-

[Punk B: Nope. They weren't over here.

[Punk A]: They've gotta be hiding somewhere around here...

[Punk B]: The boss is gonna be pretty mad if we let them get away, bro.

[Punk A]: I know that! Keep searching!

Boss, huh? So someone else is behind all this, then. Interesting.

Ah...! Ow...

What happened?

I think I twisted my ankle...

[Punk B]: Hey, bro! I think I saw that tree over there move!

(They spotted us. I can't attack them with Narika nearby. They might get a lucky shot off.)

Narika, play along.

Huh?

Oh... I get it...

*whispering* Okay, tone it down a little...

Maybe you should be feeling them up close... No, closer... Yeahhh.

Oh my!

Oh, Silvia!

[Punk B]: Shut up!

[Punk A]: What? You find them?

[Punk B]: Nah, it was just some stupid couple.

[Punk A]: drat. Okay, let's go look over there!

[Punk B]: Wait for me!

Huh... that really does work. What do you know?

That transformation research is paying off in unintentional ways.

Sorry. This is all my fault...

Don't worry about it. More importantly, how's your leg? Can you walk?

I'm sure I'll be able to once I've had a little rest.

Um, Wake... Thanks for saving me. But I'm curious... why do you always come to save me?

Hey, we're a team, aren't we? Of course I'm going to save you. I care about you guys. Even Serina... for some reason.

We're... a team...? Yes, I guess you're right.

Okay, you stay here. I'm going to get some answers.

What? You're going alone? But you should call for help...

It's cute that you're worried about me.

Hell yeah, Wake. Time to finally put the fear of Star God into someone.

-Park-

Hey there, remember me?

[Punk A]: L-Let me go!

I don't think so. You have some information that I want. Why were you two after her? Who's the 'Boss' that put you up to this?

[Punk A]: Hah, like I'll tell you.

I've got a feeling you're going to change your mind.

[Punk B]: I told you, bro! We shouldn't have hit her while she was with this one!

Listen, just answer my questions and I'll consider taking it easy on you.

[Punk B]: Can we just tell him? I don't wanna go to jail!

Actually, jail is what I was referring to when I said I would take it easy.

[Punk A]: Wh-What do ya mean by that!?

Take a minute to think about who your boss sent you after. She's an S-Rank Disciple that goes to the same Academy as God's Gift. She has Star Children everywhere in this city. The only reason you're still alive right now is because I'm here.

-Forest-

So those are the guys that hurt mom?

Yeah. I tracked them here. Take 'em out.

What's wrong? They have to pay!

...I can't, dad is in the way.

Then shoot the other guy. He's just standing there.

Just shoot!

...I think dad knows we're here.

What? Let me see...

Well?

...He's mad...He's looking this way...He's shaking his head...Yeah, he knows we're here...

Run!

-Park-

Precious little scamps. Absolutely terrifying when you really think about it, but precious nonetheless.

So anyway. You can answer my questions and spend some time in a jail cell, or you can keep quiet and spend your lives on the run from a swarm of tiny assassins. Your call.

[Punk A]: W-We'll talk! We'll talk!

-Faculty Office-

Good to hear. Thanks for following up for me.

Who'd have thought a church official would go so far over something so petty? According to Mattero, the man's been exiled to some distant region.

Kind of feel like he should have been locked up, but exile is probably the better punishment. If the Star Children got wind of this then he'd likely be dead by morning.

How is Narika, by the way? I heard she hurt her leg.

She's doing okay. She just needed to rest it a little. It was nothing serious.

That's good.

Um...Chloe? Could I ask you something?

What is it?

I should have brought this up earlier, but I feel like Narika has been acting really strange lately.

She's completely different from how she used to be. The way she talks and the way she acts, stuff like that.

Really? I haven't noticed anything...

Wait, really?

(Am I really just imagining it? ...Is all this God's Gift stuff finally getting to me? Maybe I need to take a break.)

Mmkay, that went places. That Church Official from the Strategy Conference was such a sore loser that he hired goons to assault Narika. Also, Wake may be starting to go crazy. Going to have to keep an eye on that.

Let's see if Feene's events can ease the tension a little.

-Old Schoolhouse-

When I lay them all out, it really looks like I've taken a lot of photos...

Sorting out the pictures again?

Oh, yes. Please, have a look. Lately I feel I've been taking really good pictures.

Okay, let's see what you've got. Hmm... Starball Team, some Disciples, a LOT of shots of the cat.

Yes, they are all my dear friends.

Um, and... I realized something...

What's the matter? You're doing an awful lot of fidgeting.

You see... I realized there are barely any pictures of you... A-And... Since we do not have school this afternoon...

Amusement Park? You like going to those?

Huh? Oh... W-Well, yes.

I love amusement parks! Um, that's why I'm inviting you... That's my only reason...

Oh... But if you don't want to go, I won't force you.

Slow it down, Feene. Give me a chance to answer. I don't mind going with you. There's a lot of prime picture opportunities there.

*giggle* You sound more like a member of the Photography Club than I do. I mustn't lost to you, so I will take plenty of photos.

-Academic Park-

Really?

I heard this park was built by a group of alumni, striving for peace. So I wanted to see this place for myself.

Now, I suppose the best place to start would be the biggest ride.

You mean the Ferris wheel? I don't think you want to ride that one first.

No?

The Ferris wheel gives a great view of the surrounding area. We should save that for sunset. It'll be prettier that way.

Oh... I see. You're right. Hrm, amusement parks are a little tricky, aren't they?

I haven't the foggiest idea what to do when it comes to amusement parks.

Okay. Well then, I guess we should head to the merry-go-round first. There's a haunted house, but the lighting in there wouldn't be any good for pictures.

That's the ride with the horses, right?

I don't think you'll be needing any of those skills. Anyway, let's just ride everything we see.

Okay. Let's forget about monsters for today and have as much fun as we can!

Ha! Suck on that Aya! You'd be so jealous if you knew.

*Later*

Ng... I feel a bit woozy... The teacups should not be underestimated...

That's because you got way too eager with the spinning... I'm feeling sick too... Urp...

I'm sorry. It was just so mesmerizing... It seems I get too immersed in what I do. People often say I'm stubborn...

No, Feene... come on... Not now...

*Feene snaps a pic*

I'm sure your friends will love it...

Now, let's bring an end to this evening by riding the biggest one.

How did you recover so quickly?

-Ferris Wheel-

Wow... You can see the entire island from here...

*giggle* It's just as you said: sunset is the perfect time to ride it.

Yeah, but you're going to miss that perfect time if you don't take some pictures soon.

Oh... I was so absorbed in the view that I forgot to take a picture... I came all this way to take your picture, but instead I ended up having fun.

Nothing wrong with that. You're always so serious, so it was fun seeing you relax a little and let loose.

I think it's because I'm with you, but...

What's happened to me...?

Probably should have avoided that carnival food.

...!

Yes, that's it. That has to be it. I must be afraid of heights. There's no other explanation for why my heart is beating so fast.

Or it could be that, I guess.

Yes, but now that I know my fear, I can face it.

Phew... It's really nice to know the cause. Everything is alright now. The violent pounding of my heart has stopped.

Now then, please allow me to take your picture with the sunset behind you.

Sure. Should I stay like this?

Yes, a natural pose is best.

I'm taking it now.

.....Huh...? When I look at you through the camera, my heart starts racing... C-Could I have been sorely mistaken...? N-No... But then this feeling could only be... This is a feeling between a man and a woman that have known each other intimately...

Hey... are you going to take my picture? What are you whispering about over there anyway?

Nothing. I'm not saying anything at all!

Well the wheel has almost gone around again. You don't have much time left to get a shot.

Oh! I-I'll take it now. Um... Let me take it right now!

-Women's Dorm-

Phew... We made it in time for the curfew.

Thank you so much for walking me back to my dorm.

What? Of course you're not. I had fun. Other than the motion sickness part, I mean.

Oh... That's a relief. It means so much to hear that from you.

I-I know... I will carry a picture I took today in my Disciple pocketbook.

What are you smiling about?

I-I'm not smiling at all! You're reading too much into this!

Okay, okay. Take it easy.

Anyway, I should get back to my dorm.

O-Okay. I'll see you at school. Please be careful... Good night...

Awww, wasn't that sweet? Too bad the event block doesn't just end on that. Time to wrap this whole thing up with a bow!

-Old Schoolhouse-

*sigh*.... There's no way of knowing the size of the Nest from here... But it seems so close to my home...

What's wrong? You look kinda worried.

Oh... I-It's nothing. My mind is just preoccupied at the moment. I'm sorry... Could we cancel today's activities? I do apologize since you've come all this way...

That's okay with me, but I'd really like to know what's wrong.

I don't know, that's the problem... Everything could be wrong...

But it's nothing concern yourself with. I simply need more time.

Don't pull this Ellie stuff on me. We're friends, Feene. You can talk to me.

Then I'll tell you everything. Please, let me speak.

Man, that was way easier than Ellie. We're still trying to drag poo poo out of her.

Of course.

I received a request from the regional headquarters of the defense operation. A large Nest has been discovered near my hometown. They want me to return as soon as I have completed my duties here.

So they need you back right away?

No... They wish for me to prioritize my duties here and then transfer back when possible. But there were no details on this Nest in the letter. It's only just been found. I don't think it's been investigated yet.

Are you thinking about going back immediately?

I don't know... I wish to research the situation before making my decision. What if they don't have enough people to suppress the Nest...

Feene, if your home is in danger then just go. We can handle things around here. Not like these Dusk Circles have been especially tough.

Thank you...

I don't know if it will come to that, but I will focus on my current duty. Please, don't hesitate to call on me for the Classmating ritual or the Labyrinths. Don't hesitate... No. Please, call on me. I don't want to abandon the friends I've made here.

I want to help you.

Just relax, Feene. When you find out what's going on back at home then just let me know. I appreciate how determined you are. Thank you.

No, thank you for listening to me. So, with that in mind...

I would like to postpone club activities for the time being.

Sure. We'll do that until things have calmed down a little.

Thank you... Thank you so very much...

And that's all. We're completely caught up now. Not exactly a fun way to end it, but at least it's a little more bright than ending it on Narika or Chloe. At least there was a sweet moment to cap it off.

I suppose I should try and liven things up more than that though. Time for a fashion show!

Fuuko shows off the Flower Brooch, on the right side of her chest. It might be a little hard to see.

Here's Ellie with a very festive Butterfly Ribbon.

This is the Mysterious Plume I mentioned.

Also the Ether Visor. Kind of expected more of a DBZ Scouter design. Oh well. This one is very super-heroine looking.

I showed Chloe with the Demon Wings during Halloween season, so here she is with Angel Wings for Christmas season.

Serina has a crown... I guess? Looks more like a drink coaster in my opinion.

Our aspiring pilot gets to show off the Headset.

And our resident battle princess shows off the Tiara.

We also have the option for Wake to wear his God's Gift student uniform. No swimsuit option for him for whatever reason.

The girls just get their swimsuits as an optional costume. This game misses so many good opportunities for costumes. Why isn't Chloe's idol stage outfit an option? Or hell, why not just her teacher uniform? A regular Disciple uniform? Come on, you guys could have given her some kind of decent alternative to her default battle costume.

Not that I expect anyone to ask, but just in case, the answer is no. I will not be putting any of the heroines in their swimsuits for dungeons. That's just silly.

Anyway, stop by for the next update in which actual story progress is made. Strike Team AngelMarker is going to go into the Labyrinth with Wake and the gang. Alec is on the team, using an experimental and lightly tested new technology, and he constantly chirps to Wake about fighting in the Labyrinth and saving the world and so on. There is absolutely no way that things can go wrong with a setup like that.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 23, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ya know Narika is like 200% justified in being kinda rude to that rear end in a top hat. Whatever magic drug she's using for confidence notwithstanding.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Feene flipped from "Yes I love amusement parks!" and implying she goes to them all the time to "Wow, I am pretty terrible at amusement parks, can you lead?" in an awful hurry.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Raitzeno posted:

Feene flipped from "Yes I love amusement parks!" and implying she goes to them all the time to "Wow, I am pretty terrible at amusement parks, can you lead?" in an awful hurry.

I didn't show the choices screen when she asks him, but there is a choice for Wake to just outright say that it sounds like a date. I went with the official dialog option of "You really like amusement parks, huh?" So Feene's response of really liking them is just her shyly trying to avoid revealing the real reason. It's why she loses the blush momentarily.

LP Wake isn't as dense as Official Wake when it comes to romance, but this is one of those situations where it would sound like she was simply asking him for club purposes. So I didn't want to write him immediately assuming "Oh, so what you actually want is a date."

SSNeoman posted:

Ya know Narika is like 200% justified in being kinda rude to that rear end in a top hat. Whatever magic drug she's using for confidence notwithstanding.

Not going to argue with that. Dude was a massive crybaby. It's not even like Narika was particularly disrespectful about it. She interrupted AngelMarker, but all she did to the Church Official was point out the flaws with his plan and defend her own. You know, the thing the entire conference was being held to do. Hell, the plan was the Church's. It's not like that one official was responsible for the entire thing. Why is he getting all bent out of shape?

He's acting like Narika pulled a Sasami and rolled up to him after the conference going "Guh, how pathetic. Is that really the best you can do? You should just give up."

In other news, the next update is probably going to end up stretching from the end of Chapter 5 to the beginning of Chapter 6. The Chapter 5 Dungeon is super long, but very light on story events. The wrap-up events aren't particularly long either.

There's also going to be a big vote coming down. This dungeon pretty much signaled the end of the entire current lineup of Star Children. With the number of new classes that have opened up since the last Team A(w)ful vote, I'll probably scrap all the teams and have the thread chose three complete ones.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I wouldn't be surprised if the Church's plan was that one official's pet project, and being a petty vindictive rear end in a top hat, the instant it's shot down he runs to the goon squad to salve his hurt feelings. The plan Narika's presenting is officially the Academy's strategy, but isn't it her brainchild and that's why she's being sent to this conference to present it? The situation with Enzea and AngelMarker is probably similar, although it's entirely possible they just wanted to send someone important (but not too important), so the boss' son gets to go.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

It's also possible that "exile" is a polite euphemism for "yeah we sent him away... to hell" - or perhaps they exiled him to the frontline of some particularly troublesome Nest. (Obviously, not one large enough to sic GG on it, but...)

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Wow, Narika's route escalated quickly. That's a huge jump from "sort of rude to me at a conference" to "I'll hire thugs to abduct her at gunpoint". Here's hoping that exile's just a euphemism like Raitzeno suggested.

I'm liking Feene's route though. The amusement park stuff was sweet and I'm interested to see where she'll go now that she's caught between her new friends and current duty and keeping her family and older friends safe.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I feel like out of all the girls, the ones that seem to be best with Wake are Feene and Chloe, based on what I've seen, and Fuuko, based on the summary you posted and their early interactions.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Are you able to show us the Ether Visor from side on? 'Cos from the front it just looks like a heart superimposed on her head.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

inflatablefish posted:

Are you able to show us the Ether Visor from side on? 'Cos from the front it just looks like a heart superimposed on her head.

Yeah, I can get a screenshot of that for next time. It's basically a heart shaped mask. Kind of like a plastic dome. I'll get a shot from another angle when I can.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I feel like out of all the girls, the ones that seem to be best with Wake are Feene and Chloe, based on what I've seen, and Fuuko, based on the summary you posted and their early interactions.

Well, you have roughly three or four bonding events left to decide on one of them. The Chapter 6 Bonding update will bring us up to the final bar on the gauge. The first event in that bar is where everything kinda comes to a head.

OOrochi posted:

Wow, Narika's route escalated quickly. That's a huge jump from "sort of rude to me at a conference" to "I'll hire thugs to abduct her at gunpoint". Here's hoping that exile's just a euphemism like Raitzeno suggested.

Her route has one more major escalation that will happen in the Chapter 6 bonding update. It's definitely one of the weirdest routes.

Raitzeno posted:

It's also possible that "exile" is a polite euphemism for "yeah we sent him away... to hell" - or perhaps they exiled him to the frontline of some particularly troublesome Nest. (Obviously, not one large enough to sic GG on it, but...)

Yeah, they only say exile. It's made clear that nobody will be seeing that rear end in a top hat again, though. No way the Church would allow something like that to come to public attention. We know that Gracia has assassins. The other branches of the Aterra Church must have their own methods of dealing with undersirable elements. The absolute best case scenario for this guy seems to be living out his life in complete isolation while constantly looking over his shoulder.

Commander Keene posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Church's plan was that one official's pet project, and being a petty vindictive rear end in a top hat, the instant it's shot down he runs to the goon squad to salve his hurt feelings. The plan Narika's presenting is officially the Academy's strategy, but isn't it her brainchild and that's why she's being sent to this conference to present it? The situation with Enzea and AngelMarker is probably similar, although it's entirely possible they just wanted to send someone important (but not too important), so the boss' son gets to go.

The game kind of flip flops on it a bit. Narika seems to be the main planner of this proposal, but at other times the characters speak about it as though it's a group effort.

Either way, the official is an incredibly petty douchebag. Did he honestly think that poo poo wouldn't get traced back to him? Despite how inept the adults seem to be, we will see later on that the Church has some fairly competent investigation skills. This official was one degree removed from what was going to be a vicious assault/murder of an Elite S-Ranked Disciple. He would have been found out fairly quickly even if it had gone exactly as planned. It's not like Wake, Chlotz, or the other girls would ever let something like that slide without retribution. Dude really did not think things through.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 4, 2018

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly, that swimsuit is a bit less embarassing than Chloe's default dungeon outfit.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Mad props to Psycho Knight for managing to turn a complete nothing of a character like Wake and rewrite him to be actually pretty likeable.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I really wonder why so many anime shows let total asshats get away with just a slap on the wrist. I might have thrown some punches or at least very severe verbal abuse at a bunch of molesters.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dance Officer posted:

I really wonder why so many anime shows let total asshats get away with just a slap on the wrist. I might have thrown some punches or at least very severe verbal abuse at a bunch of molesters.

In this case, at least, it makes sense. They had a gun when they were initially confronting the pair, and then Wake wanted to capture them alive to get info on their boss.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

malkav11 posted:

Honestly, that swimsuit is a bit less embarassing than Chloe's default dungeon outfit.

Sad, but true. I did actually consider the swimsuit option for Chloe for a moment, but technically her battle costume does cover up more skin.

ProfessorProf posted:

Mad props to Psycho Knight for managing to turn a complete nothing of a character like Wake and rewrite him to be actually pretty likeable.

Thanks. I'm glad people are enjoying this. To be honest, I'm getting a little sad at the moment because the game is actually fairly close to the end. Going to be a downer to see it end, despite the fact that it's taking hours out of basically every day. This project proved to be way more fun than I expected.

Dance Officer posted:

Not to get topical or anything, but that's not even an anime thing. That poo poo happens all the time in real life. I will admit that I am disappointed that Wake didn't break an arm or something at least. Come on dude, just smash a finger or a rib or something.

One thing I do that I hate the game doesn't do is involve the Star Children. It would be amazing to see a bunch of them descend on these two guys like vultures for attacking their mom.

Zurai posted:

In this case, at least, it makes sense. They had a gun when they were initially confronting the pair, and then Wake wanted to capture them alive to get info on their boss.

Yeah, despite his talk about taking the gloves off, Wake holds back in order to find out who was really behind it. We will see in a few story updates that Wake and company are easily strong enough to obliterate guys like those punks if they felt like it.

Besides, as terrible as those two were, the fact is that someone hired them to do it. They weren't just standing around and then suddenly decided they wanted to abduct a student. Who knows what that official offered them in exchange to convince them. They definitely still deserve punishment, but not to the level of being exiled like the church official who planned all of it.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 4, 2018

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

When I see all of these pricks here, it makes me think that more games need the ability to have Renegade Interrupt/Asura's Wrath-style punches to the face.

(X) Shut rear end in a top hat Up.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Dr. Snark posted:

When I see all of these pricks here, it makes me think that more games need the ability to have Renegade Interrupt/Asura's Wrath-style punches to the face.

(X) Shut rear end in a top hat Up.

It makes me miss the Way of the Samurai games. Don't like someone, or just bored of the conversation? Press L1 and pull out your sword, then go to town. That was such a tempting option all throughout those games.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

malkav11 posted:

I think I might be the only one here who doesn't give a poo poo about Chloe's combat gear.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

~Update 13: Part of me is fighting this, but part of me is gone~

Welcome back. It's finally time to return to the story! Yay! For about one update before we immediately go back to bonding! Yay!

We're off to Wrath. Narika joins us for this one.

Wake, Maximize!

ReBoot!

I miss ReBoot... No, that garbage Code Lyoko knock off they shat out is not an acceptable replacement.

There's actually no pre-dungeon discussion for this one. We're just dumped in here with no pomp or circumstance.

I'll be heavily abridging this dungeon. It's an incredible drag, and goes for about 15 floors.

There are some new colour swaps, and some entirely new enemies. The snake guys are fast and pack a decent magic punch. This is the beginning of original Team A(wful)'s graceful exit.

We also run into the freaky eyeball monsters from that quest I showed off previously. They're mostly just annoying because they have Stare of Death and a lot of defense. Plus they have Curse, which means they'll be dealing supereffective damage to any member of your team barring Feene.

Another colour swap. These warthog/rhino guys keep showing up and it's bugging the crap out of me. They take forever to kill due to my complete lack of magic offense.

Six floors in, we finally hit our first story beat.

*Core Assualt Squad or whatever they're called, elminates the monsters*

Whew... The monsters are much stronger inside the Labyrinth.

Don't you think so too, Rus? How about you, Clau?

Ahaha... I guess not.

Everyone, let's keep going in.

Did I or did I not say to avoid bum-rushing the Dusk Spawner?

God's Gift.

So they sent you in before us. Why am I not surprised? Reckless bastards.

And we'll seal the Dusk Spawner before you get the chance to fight it, too.

Well, not like I honestly expected you to listen to me in the first place. I guess we'll just have to beat you there and seal the Spawner before you can get yourself into trouble.

We'll see about that.

Alec, we should get going. Please be careful on your way.

Once the Dusk Spawner is sealed, let's all go back together and share some noodles.

Good luck to you.

Same to you guys.

*Team Alec leaves*

You seem much less upset than I thought you'd be.

Narika's right. What gives? Kind of thought you'd be pissed at him.

Short of breaking his legs, there's no way I would have been able to stop him. I knew that the moment they strapped him with a God Brace.

But aren't you worried?

Nah. Unlike Ruby and Mark, I know that Alec can take care of himself. He's basically me. Reckless, but with the strength to stop that from biting him in the rear end. Besides, Triche is with him. I'm not sure what the two mimes are capable of, but if they were chosen for a team like that then they must be somewhat strong. They'll be okay on their own.

That being said, I don't intend to let him even reach the Dusk Spawner in the first place. Let's get a move on before they manage to get ahead.

Moving on, we run into the other creepy quest monster from before. He's got a lot of HP and solid DEF, but he's not exactly a powerhouse.

Then there's this abomination. Some kind of mermaid/siren/fish woman. Not much to her either, although she does display the ongoing issue I am having with magic. Her magic attacks can actually deal some decent damage due to a lack of MDF focused Star Children.

Floor 7 leads us into the mid-boss.

That one has really quick moves. It's also capable of Paralyzing you, so be careful. One more thing: it's got a really low magic defense, so exploit that weakness!

And here's the next nail in the coffin of the current Star Children army. Once again my complete lack of magic offense has bitten me in the rear end. Not that it will really matter in the grand scheme of this battle though.

Gloomy is fast and that's pretty much it. It doesn't have much in the way of attacks. It's main purpose in this fight is to try and paralyze you so that the accompanying Micros enemies can wail on you.

Unfortunately, it is still Dusk element, which means it's going to be dealing extra damage.

Anyway, there's not much to say about this fight. If you have some magic power behind you, then you'll have an easier time than I did. If you don't, then you might just want to resort to popping MECUNITE and abusing Master Heal or the super "Hit everyone" move.

In terms of actual strategy, you may want to break off from the mid-boss and take out the Micros first. You can kill them much easier, and if you move away from Gloomy then it'll likely waste most of its turns just trying to catch one of your teams since it only has physical attacks.

No celebration of this one either. We're just dumped back to the dungeon to resume our march.

Anyway, this was the point where I regrettably had to stop my short-lived experiment with OG Team(A)wful. Their survivability actually wasn't the issue that caused me to finally swap them out, it was the fact that they just weren't hitting hard enough.

So our original thread Star Children will bow out in order for me to bolster offence. I also use the opportunity to correct the severe lack of magic.

Felicia, Seth, and Luna won't be leaving us though. They had an amazing run and have earned the right to mooch off of dad and spend their days lazing around the dorm, or lab, or wherever the hell they hang out when not with Wake.

Remember, you guys voted for these three back in Chapter 1. They've since fought through 4 and a half story dungeons along with 4 sub-dungeons. They hit their level cap back near the beginning of Chapter 2. That's impressive. Good job little warriors.

After some fiddling, Team B gets reinforced with another Lancer and Team C gets some support from a Minstrel.

With that done, it's back to Wrath and oh gently caress me I'm only half way through!? Ugghhh....

A new enemy pops up a few more floors in to my second expedition. Carina are fast and have okay magic attack. If this thing were Dusk element it would be very dangerous. You also can't run from it.

There's also upgraded versions of Regred. These ones are actually a major step up from their predecessors. Their HP is way higher and they have the first two stages of Dusk element magic. You'll want to be careful with these guys.

That being said, they are still worth some good experience and relatively easy to set up chains on.

We find another version of Sagitta as well. This one is part of a different quest. One of these guys will pay out 2500 experience, but unfortunately this one came alone. Cool Professional remains the best DLC quest for experience at the moment.

Finally, we run into one last new enemy. This quick-footed wolf with some solid defense.

In a rare act of mercy, I run into a random trap a few steps into Floor 11 that just transports me straight to Floor 12. This trap will usually be a welcome thing.

Let's finish this horrible Dusk element filled dungeon.

There you are. We've tracked down the Dusk Spawner, Chlotz.

It looks like it!

It seems to be the type that releases strong amounts of Dusk Energy. It'll try to take over the battlefield and fill it with Dusk, so be careful. You'll have to deal with its helpers and control the Ether Density while you fight. But I'm sure it'll be a breeze for you now. Hang in there!

What Chlotz just said is relevant to this fight, but the advice is a little wonky when it comes to the "controlling Ether Density" and "deal with helpers" parts.

That's how I know I'll be able to try even harder now!

As reassuring as that is, let's try and finish this up before those other Labyrinth fighters show up. I don't want Alec rushing in half-way through and pulling something stupid.

This is one of the rare boss fights in this game where you will need to be very careful. Everything can go very wrong in a very short amount of time.

First of all, Satanael is Dusk Element. Not off to a good start. On top of that, it has a new version of Dusk Release called High Dusk Release. On top of that, it also has Triad Curse. Combine that with a high defense and speed and you have a bad recipe.

The adds also come packing the regular Dusk Release. This is why controlling Ether Density is dicey advice. You'll have enough BP at this point in the game to pull Ether Release maybe four or five times. However, these little fuckers and Satanael will spam the poo poo out of Dusk Release spells. You are much better off using BP to MECUNITE. If you do want to pull Ether Release, then make sure you time it very well.

Thing to watch out for #2: Do not go after the adds. Satanael can revive them on its turn and the cost of doing so is not very high. It's easily possible for Satanael to revive an add you killed and then get another turn shortly afterward, before you can move.

Splitting up to take out the adds will just result in you dealing no substantial damage to Satanael while it continuously undoes your progress. The adds will then proceed to just pepper you with Dusk Release and Curse for somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-1300 damage each.

High Dusk Release also hits like a truck that's been loaded with steel girders if it crits. It hits like a regular truck if it doesn't. Make sure that at least Wake's team is maxed on health basically all the time.

I do tactically bust out an Ether Release here and have Team A(wful) MECUNITE to abuse the Code attack, which will hit every enemy on the field.

Two Code attacks is enough to wipe out the adds for the time being without giving them a chance to retaliate or lower the Ether Density.

High Dusk Release can hurt. It also drops the Ether Density by a level. I had Wake and Narika buffed a bit for this one to blunt the damage.

Master Heal then erases Satanael's progress, then Team B hits with a Temple Chain and manages to Chain Satanael. The entire team then dumps on the bastard as hard as possible before it can get another turn to reverse the situation.

Also, I find out that apparently MECUNITE can wear off. Interesting. No fight with MECUNITE has ever lasted long enough for me to find this out until now.

So that's the Wrath Boss. Keep in mind that I'm a bit underleveled for this fight. Most of the team is around 29-34, while Satanael is 35. I'm also working with lower-tiered classes.

Even still, you should be careful. The Boss, and this dungeon in general, abuses the poo poo out of Dusk's current dominance over your Star Children. For those of you who are curious, you can get Ether Matryoshkas to make Star Children with, but they are very rare drops that I don't think are even available until the final dungeon. You're sort of boned until then. Feene is your only recourse for dealing with it.

Dusk Spawner is out of commission. We're heading back now.

Great to hear!

We aren't used to traveling through Labyrinths yet. Let's just be glad we were able to make it this far on our first time inside one.

Oh hey, Alec's team made it, too.

The Dusk Spawner's been sealed...

We will head back by ourselves...

*The wonder twins piss off*

Oh, they've taken off... I was thinking we'd all get together and have some noodles to celebrate.

Something tells me that those two aren't the celebrating types. Tough luck for them. Soba is on me this time, Triche. I still want to make up for turning you down last time.

-President's Office-

Enzea, is the Neo Ether improvement going as planned?

Without a hitch.

Are there any other problems that need to be reported to me?

Not at all.

I see. Very well, then.

Well then, please excuse me.

-School Rooftop-

And now, we bear witness to Chlotz attempting to nut up and make his move.

Nah, I should be the one apologizing. Sorry for calling you out here.

It's okay. There's something I wanted to speak to you about.

Huh? Really?

I-I see! Then, you can ask me anything!

Really? Thanks!

To be honest...

Booo! Don't pull that cut-away garbage! drat tease.

-Hallway-

Are the preparations going well, everyone?

Still, if we aren't careful, this might take us all night.

That's why I was speaking with Ms. Serina just now to see if we should take a break.

Let's all take a break together, then. I'll treat you to some drinks!

-School Rooftop-

Time flies, doesn't it? The School Festival is almost upon us.

I still do have some concerns, since I joined midway through the year. Ms. Chloe, I must hear your opinion...

Of course you are.

I mean, I'm still striving to become like you, after all...

If someone like you is saying that, what does that make me? I became an S Rank through hard work and guts, but I've got a long way to go.

Wow... I had no idea that you both felt that way. But there's no need to worry!

Truly?

I believe that I have to continually better myself throughout my life.

But hearing you say those words is a great relief, Ms. Chloe.

We are the same age, and the oldest of the S Rank girls, after all... Let's keep helping each other out and backing everyone up, okay?

...Yeah. We look completely different, but we're still all the same age.

Looks, huh... I wish I could wear a Disciple uniform like you two.

Oh great, this poo poo again...

What? How in the world are you not feminine, Feene?

You've got a great body, you're beautiful, and you're so elegant, too!

But my companions in my ground combat team often told me to be more feminine...

Um, Ms. Chloe...

I haven't said anything about that...

Oh... Sorry, sorry!

I get the striking feeling that Chloe is some kind of closet pervert.

Well, I guess I should start heading back. The class I'm in charge of isn't close to finishing their prep work either.

Good luck, you two!

-Hallway-

Everyone's been busy, after all. It can't be helped that the Disciple don't have much time for the School Festival.

Man! Looks like we're gonna have to sleep here tonight to get ready for tomorrow! I'm crossing all my fingers that a Dusk Circle doesn't become active today.

[1st-Year Disciple A]: Hey!

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: I have to pull an all-nighter after this! Now shut up so I can take a nap!

Ugh, that dinner the girls made was disgusting!

Would someone give this drat kid a name?

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: Then don't eat it!

Oh, my, each year has different troubles. I'm sorry, Wake, but... Could you go check on how everyone's doing? I have a lot of responsibilities since I'm in charge of an Elite class.

Isn't that your job? Go do it yourself. Don't work us Disciples like your slaves.

Did you say something, Chlotz?

Alright, everyone shut up. I have the time, I can take care of it. Problem solved. Now, go.

Thanks, I really owe you one!

Ms. Chloe! Over here, please! We don't have enough ingredients for prep!

Whaaat? You only found that out now? Who ordered the ingredients?

*Chloe heads off to handle the problem of poor logistics*

Fuuko, we need your help over here, too!

*Fuuko heads off to help in an unspecified way*

Alright, I guess I'll make one more effort, too!

Hold up.

Huh?

Maybe it's just me slowly growing more insane, which is possible if Narika is anything to go by, but you don't seem to be acting like your usual self. Something feels off.

Wha!? M-Man... I was trying not to let it show, but I guess you saw right through it.

Okay, so it's not creeping insanity. Then what's going on with you?

Turned down? You mean by Luce?

I... was getting a little full of myself. I thought she had a thing for me, even if it was only a little... But it turns out she likes someone else... Any guess who?

Alec.

Yep, that's right. And I only learned that because she came to me, asking for help with her love life. She told me she wanted to confess her love to Alec, but couldn't do it. And then I told her that I'd cheer her on.

So then you didn't get shot down. You took off, encountered the other plane, then got on the radio and asked if you could become their wingman.

No arguments there. Not for the reason you think though. Still, I'm sorry to hear you got blindsided like that.

...Oh, sorry! I didn't mean to kill the mood like this. Well, you have to go check around, right? You should get going.

*Chlotz leaves*

I better keep an eye on him. He's trying to hard to downplay the pain.

This is another heroine choice event. Feene got the last one, so this one goes to 2nd Place, Narika. There are some CGs for these events too.

Oh, Wake. I'm glad I ran into you. I'm carrying the ingredients for tomorrow, but I could use a hand... Would you mind helping me?

Yeah, I can handle that. Where are they going?

Thank you. I just need you to carry them to the classroom.

I'm fine with any time. Whatever's convenient for the rest of you.

[Female Disciple C]: Then could you take a shift with Wake? We're low on staff during the lunch hours.

All right, I'll be here during lunch hours tomorrow.

[Female Disciple C]: And Wake? That's okay with you?

Yeah, I don't mind. I've got to take a shift one way or another.

Um, Wake...

What's up, Narika?

After we finish our shift tomorrow...

I mean, if you have time, that is.

(This is a good opportunity... I was right on the nose about Chlotz. I've got to be on to something with her. I can't be going crazy.)

Yeah, I don't mind. Sounds like fun.

Really?

Yeah, really.

Looking forward to it.

Yes, me too.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Costume Cafe was a major success. Seems like it's mostly thanks to how many people were flocking to see you.

And once again, you were totally okay with that? Not nervous or shy at all?

I was against the idea of wearing that, but Chlotz insisted I'd look good in it. And I had fun, in the end. It was like pretending to be someone else.

(Interesting choice of words...)

Well, are you going to go get changed?

(And Chloe doesn't see anything strange about this? This is totally normal.)

Suit yourself. Is there anywhere you'd like to go in particular?

No. I'll let you decide.

Let's just walk around for a while then.

-Hallway-

That looks interesting.

Yeah, I could go for a movie.

[Male Disciple C]: Two more coming in!

-Classroom-

It's all dark in here.

They've got it completely curtained off. Lot of people in here, too.

That sounds like it's going to be an enjoyable film. Nothing terrible could happen with a setup like that.

Hey, Narika. I think there's a bug on your back.

What!? Oh... I'm actually, um, not very good with bugs...

I'll get it, just hold on.

I don't want to move too much and disrupt the movie. If I stay still, could you...?

Another touch event, similar to what happens in Serina's route. LP Wake is a goddamn gentleman, so he's going straight for that circle on her back and grabbing that bug.

Oh...! That tickles. Oh...p-please hurry...

I've got it. You can relax.

Thank you. Now I can concentrate on the movie again...

Is it just me, or are these seats awfully close together?

They must be trying to cram as many people as they can in at a time. Just scooch over towards me a bit. There's still some room there.

Th-Thank you. But I'm a little too close to you now. Aren't you feeling cramped?

I'm good. What about you?

Feeling...normal?

Yes... I'm all right.

-Hallway-

That was longer than I thought it would be. It's already evening.

It was fun walking around with you. I especially liked the movie...

I had fun too. We'd better get back to the cafe, though.

Yes, let's.

(Okay, Wake. It's been kind of inconclusive so far. Need to be direct.)

Hey...! Though that's kind of a good motivation for me too.

(Come on! Which is it!? Are you shy or flirty! Confident or nervous! I'm not crazy! Everyone else is crazy!)

Sorry, let's just get back.

Let's go.

You tried, Wake. Still no conclusive answers though.

This is where Chapter 5 ends. However, there's still room left in this update and not much for me to slot in. So we're going to keep rolling right on through to Chapter 6.

-Gymnasium-

Plus, sad stuff is happening. Can't have this update ending with mostly happy events, now can we?

But the number of cases of residents of Fort City becoming monsters is increasing. Recently, a Disciple of this Academy seems to have been dragged into a similar case.

I know an A Rank girl was sent to the emergency room the other day... Rumor has it her father suddenly turned into a monster at home and attacked her.

This is getting out of hand. It's spreading out to random citizens now...

Her dad was a top executive at a private company in the city.

Bad luck doesn't strike based on class.

This is more than just bad luck, dude.

-2nd-Year Classroom-

What is it?

I heard that the research lab took a sample from the person who turned into a monster.

I'm surprised you knew that... Then again, you are the President's son. The lab was officially commissioned by the government to perform an autopsy.

Wow, what do you know? The government is actually doing something.

It's true, then?

Yes, but it's a different lab than the one we have here.

So, are they getting close to finding out the cause behind the transformation?

I don't have any idea. I'm not in the loop regarding that. But Chief Ruby might've received a report on it.

Would the two of you meet with me after school? I wish to speak with Chief Ruby.

Sorry... I actually have plans after class.

I see. How about you?

I was kind of hoping you guys had forgotten that I was here. Not going to lie, Alec. That's a major pain. You know I hate Ruby.

-Laboratory-

Ah, welcome.

We've come because there's something I wish to ask you, Chief Ruby.

I'm actually not sure why I'm here.

Is that so? Now under what curious turn of events would you have business with me?

Don't be a creep, Ruby.

It's about that person who turned into a monster in town. I heard that a sample of the monster was taken into custody of the research lab.

Did your brother tell you about that?

Neither my father nor my brother have told me anything. That is why I came here now.

I don't know anything. That autopsy isn't being done here.

You apparently leave classified documents lying around a lot, so... yes?

Just because you're an S Rank and God's Gift doesn't give you access to everything.

And that's why we run into so many drat problems trying to save the world. Thanks for that.

Stop it.

And... If Chlotz told you, then he probably also told you that we don't have time right now. There are Dusk Circles that are rapidly approaching activation. Because of that, our company is demanding development of more powerful weaponry. The moment Neo Ether was implemented, we were given this directive. I bet some of us researchers are going to be worked to death soon.

You mean Mark, in other words.

Seriously, what is Chlotz up to, if we're all so busy here?

Looks like Ruby has been the one tossed aside now. Sucks, doesn't?

-Downtown-

In the end, we learned nothing.

Not all that surprising, really. Ruby is rarely an actual help.

Oh, yes.

Oh, hey Serina. Hanging out with friends?

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: Ooh! He's calling us over! I'm so lucky I'm with you today, Serina!

What, are you heading home too?

Nah, Alec dragged me over to the research lab.

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: Wow, we're so luck to run into God's Gift and Alec somewhere like this!

Why?

Huh? There's a fan club? For these two?

About time.

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: You really don't know about things like that, do you? I mean, it's the original God's Gift and Alec, the second God's Gift!

The second God's Gift...?

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: That's what his fans call him. The Core Assault Squad is getting all the attention at the Academy right now.

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: That's totally common knowledge.

I've never heard of it.

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: H-Hey, maybe we should take the plunge and ask them to hang out with us!

Well, I have to help out at home, so I can't hang out now.

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: Awww, really?

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: But then we'll have two boys and two girls... Mwa ha ha...

Hrgh, I can't keep up with this... I'm going to leave now. See you all later.

*Serina leaves*

I'm sorry, but I have training to get to. If you'll excuse me...

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: Whaaat? Oh well. We'll invite you another time!

*Alec totally ditches Wake*

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: No wonder he's the second God's Gift. He's a bit cold, but he's so cool.

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: Ummm... Could it be that you can't go either, God's Gift?

Uhhh... I wouldn't say that. I just have other plans. I'm kind of a busy guy most of the time.

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: I see. Well, I guess there's nothing to be done about it, then.

Sorry.

[3rd-Year Disciple A]: Mm, it's okay. Maybe another time, then.

[3rd-Year Disciple B]: Bye-bye, God's Gift.

*The girls leave*

(Man, I suck at the defensive. Not on my A game right now.)

-2nd-Year Classroom-

Stop it. Don't call me that.

You'll encourage him.

Pff, like I need encouragement from others.

That's what everyone's calling you, even people who aren't in your fan club.

You're called the God's First Gift.

Sweet.

Huh?

She speaks of you a lot.

O-Oh, I see. So you and her are pretty close, then?

Hm? Oh, no. She and I are only childhood friends. We aren't in a relationship.

I see, that makes things difficult...

How so?

Never mind. It's nothing.

Hm? The hell is that...

Hrgh... Fine, I'll say it.

Hold up.

What is it?

You guys hear that? Something's going on outside.

Look, over in the yard.

-School Grounds-

Chlotz... Wake...

What are you doing out here?

You aren't looking too good, man.

I'm sorry... I... Nngh... didn't think.... grrr... this would... gr...

What are you...

Ohhhh, poo poo...

Gaaaaaaah! Grrrrrr! A-Aaagh... Aaaaah, grrrrr!

[Standard Disciple]: Aaaah!

No... Y-You gotta be joking...

[Former Disciple]: Shaaaaaaaaa!

*Former LightBlueHair charges Wake*

Gah! Dammit!

Dammit, he's going berserk! What're we supposed to do!?

What's going on!? Why's there a monster in the Academy!?

[Standard Disciple B]: I-It's the Witches! God's Gift and the Witches are here!

[Standard Disciple A]: They'll save us!

[Standard Disciple B]: Hey! Hurry up and kill that monster!

Guh! How about you all shut your loving mouths!? I'm not your personal soldier!

Ngh... Wake! What should I do? What am I supposed to do?

Now is not the time to freeze up, Alec! Calm down!

But...

Use Star Energy to pin it down! We'll catch him!

Catch him?

Form a barrier! You can corner him like that! Just hurry it up before I kill him! I'm having really conflicting emotions on monsters, here!

Right!

[Standard Disciple A]: H-Hey! What're you doing!? He turned into a monster!

[Standard Disciple B]: Just kill that thing!

The next person that tells me to kill it is going to get my blade through their skull! Understood!? Now shut up!

I've contacted the lab! Mark and the others are preparing a cage for the monster right now!

Alright! Everyone just keep it up until the cage gets here!

There is no need for that. Rus, Clau. Settle this.

Yes...

*The wonder twins proceed to murder the gently caress out of Former LightBlueHair*

[Former Disciple]: Grrrr.... Shhh....

:smith: Fair thee well, LightBlueHair. You made me do a bunch of portrait editing work for expressions that didn't even end up being used. You son of a bitch...

Haha... So weak.

[Standard Disciple B]: Whew, I wondered what was going to happen for a moment. Thank the Star God for AngelMarker! They sure get the job done fast!

A-Ah...

*sob*

What the gently caress do you think you're doing!?

Brother... Why!?

As a result of our investigations, we have reached a certain, important conclusion.

No...

But thanks to you, the casualties at the Academy were kept to a minimum. This is a blessing in disguise.

Excuse me!? A blessing!?

The research lab will take care of this sample. Mark and his men are bringing a container here to haul it away.

Don't you worry, Chlotz. Leave this all to the adults. Alec, are you all right?

Yes, I'm fine...

I see. Then, please excuse me.

*Enzea leaves*

[Standard Disciple]: Enzea is so cool...

Dammit, dammit...! What the hell's going on!?

(You should have never offered these assholes your help, Star God. It's all wasted.)

That was a major bummer...

But life goes on, and we have matters to take care of. Important matters. Star Children related matters. More on that soon.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hey Alec you see a pattern emerging yet? No? Alrighty then!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So is no one going to comment on the fact that Rus and Clau look a lot like Ruby?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

The team vote will be going up tomorrow. I have to make it into its own post due to Update 13 being packed, but I want to give people a chance to read the update first.

Almost forgot, here's that side shot of the Ether Visor. It's a little blurry since it was in motion, but you can see that it's kind of like a shell or a mask.

daermon posted:

So is no one going to comment on the fact that Rus and Clau look a lot like Ruby?

I was waiting for someone to mention that. Unfortunately, no, Rus and Clau are not Ruby's kids or clone or anything like that (to my immediate knowledge). I don't recall anyone ever commenting on it in the game. If it is mentioned, then it must have been briefly enough for me to miss.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 6, 2018

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That sounds like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They have the same facial expression that Ruby had when she was Dusk'd.

Wonder what that's about.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

That's because I'd bet dusk is the main component in neo-Ether.
Alec is fine for now, but I don't think he's going to survive the game.

I doubt we'll even get to gut Enzea and Rhiod, they'll probably die to their own created monsters to keep the party hands clean or something.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Your Rang?

quote:

I miss ReBoot... No, that garbage Code Lyoko knock off they shat out is not an acceptable replacement.

I got one episode into it and noped right out. it was not worth it trying to watch through that poo poo to see the very brief OG cameos

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

(And Chloe doesn't see anything strange about this? This is totally normal.)
Feels like this should be "abnormal".

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
As if Alec didn't have enough red flags up, now we get confirmation that Luce has romantic feelings for him. Wonderful.

And those twins are bad news. They've got all the signs of creepy rear end twins becoming a problem.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

As if Alec didn't have enough red flags up, now we get confirmation that Luce has romantic feelings for him. Wonderful.

And those twins are bad news. They've got all the signs of creepy rear end twins becoming a problem.

No, you see, Luce is actually giving signals to Alec that she's into Chlotz and tried to talk to Chlotz about feeling like she's losing her connection to Alec.

At least, that's what the anime rulebook says.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

Feels like this should be "abnormal".

No, it's correct. It's being written as a combination of skepticism and a little sarcasm. Chloe said she hadn't noticed anything strange with how Narika has been acting, and Wake is expressing disbelief that everything he's noticing is apparently completely normal Narika behaviour to Chloe.

Normally I would use italics or something, but my added stuff is already in italics. Perhaps I should bold "anything" to better get the point across.

mateo360 posted:

I got one episode into it and noped right out. it was not worth it trying to watch through that poo poo to see the very brief OG cameos

The biggest kick in the nuts was Hefferon saying "Yeah, we talked to all kinds of broadcasters and not one of them wanted the show to be like it originally was." I call complete horseshit on that. With all the crap that Netflix, or even Corus, greenlights, you're telling me absolutely nobody wanted a computer animated show about characters fighting inside of a computer and being pulled into various games and stuff with a touch of humor/goofiness? The absolute deal breaker was not having a bunch of real life teenagers to fart around with doing non-virus fighting stuff?

It's even worse because Mainframe already did ReBoot: The Guardian Code before, it was called Zixx: Level One. It died. It was the exact show that all these broadcasters Hefferon talked to apparently wanted, and it was nowhere near a runaway success. The same thing will happen to The Guardian Code. You had some of the original ReBoot fans check it out because of curiosity, they won't be coming back for season two, and in a few years it will be lost to the annals of TV history.

Pisses me off. Hell, you don't even need a new ReBoot! The original was funny and well written! It's even still enjoyable to this very day, it just needs some updated animation! :argh:

daermon posted:

That sounds like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

I mentioned this in the beginning, but CotSS is full of wasted opportunities. It's one of the major disappointments I have with the game. You can see traces of good stuff, but for whatever reason (it was probably time and budget) they just didn't make use of them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Chapter 6 Star Child Vote~

As I mentioned in Update 13, the entire Star Child battle group needs to be torn down and rebuilt.

Team A(wful) are due for their required replacement, so we're going to say goodbye to Adrienne, Caine, and Aria.

Team C, otherwise known as Original Generation Team A(wful), also needed to be scrapped. I had been trying to bring them as far as possible into the game, and while their ability to survive has held up very well, their damage output is just not to my liking anymore. Killing things fast lets me move through the increasingly lengthy dungeons more quickly. So I unfortunately decided to axe my little experiment.

Felicia, Seth, and Luna performed very well though. Being voted in during the first Chapter, they ploughed their way through 4 story dungeons and 4 sub-dungeons despite hitting their (low 20's) level caps at the start of Chapter 2. I'll keep them around instead of letting them loose into the city. They kicked a lot of rear end.

Finally, I also scrap Team B because... well, I mean I'm scrapping the other two teams. Might as well start from a clean slate.

~Team A(wful) Vote 3 + Team B and Team C~

So what I'm going to do is open up the typical vote for Team A(wful). The three highest voted classes will become Team A(wful), same as always.

Team B will be made up of the next three highest voted classes.

Team C will be chosen at random from anyone that wants to suggest a team. You don't have to vote, just construct a team out of the available classes and I'll pick one of them at random. You can use multiple of the same class or make a team entirely composed of one class if you want.

If no-one suggests anything for Team C, then I'll put one together myself.

~Available Classes~

Archer

Gunslinger

Cleric

Thief

Ranger

Merchant

Grappler

Swordis

Ether Sniper

Hunter

Blacksmith

Gambler

Astromancer

Witch

Mercenary

Berserker

Bondsman

Magician

Magic Knight

Lancer

Minstrel

Warlock

Paladin

Just as before, put your votes in bold. You get three votes. Also remember that you can request names or genders.

Just vote for Team A(wful) like you normally do. Team B is just going to be composed of the runners up.

If you have an idea for Team C, then just post it. I'll collect any suggestions and pick a team at random.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I'll go for Mercenary, Paladin, and Magic Knight.

If Magic Knight wins a spot, and is a female, name them Celes.

For Team C, my vote goes to Gunslinger, Witch, and Astromancer.

Name a male Gunslinger Marston, and a female witch Morrigan or Morgana, whichever sounds better to your ears.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You've done without magic for a while, so let's go the complete opposite direction: Witch, Paladin, Magic Knight.

For Team C, I vote Team Normal Human Jobs: Gambler, Minstrel, Bondsman.

megane fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 6, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

Normally I would use italics or something, but my added stuff is already in italics. Perhaps I should bold "anything" to better get the point across.
Yeah, that seems like a good idea.

megane posted:

You've done without magic for a while, so let's go the complete opposite direction: Witch, Paladin, Magic Knight.
This, but let's go with Warlock instead of Witch because they seem just plain better, statistically.

Are the exact numbers in the stat web for each class relevant, or should I just be looking at what points where, because it's weird to me that the Paladin and Bondsman have higher Attack than the Berserker.

I'm going to put Team I'm Just Like Daddy! into the hat for Team C: a Hunter (or anything really) bookended by two Lancers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Psycho Knight posted:

It's even worse because Mainframe already did ReBoot: The Guardian Code before, it was called Zixx: Level One. It died. It was the exact show that all these broadcasters Hefferon talked to apparently wanted, and it was nowhere near a runaway success. The same thing will happen to The Guardian Code. You had some of the original ReBoot fans check it out because of curiosity, they won't be coming back for season two, and in a few years it will be lost to the annals of TV history.

It may have died, but they managed to make Zixx: Level Two and Three before it ended. I can't imagine the new Reboot getting a third season.

Also, let's go with Witch, Mercenary, and Magic Knight.