Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

Arkhamdb has that xp count wrong fwiw, it looks like it's actually 22 xp. I'm wondering if it's counting Borrowed Time as exceptional?

I would assume it's counting the Exceptional card as Exceptional yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Oooh, looks like my deck was technically illegal. Borrowed Time isn't coded correctly, so it's not doubling the XP cost like it should (and you can add more than one copy on the site). ArkhamDB has my deck listed at 19xp when it should actually be 22xp. Good catch.

Oh well, at least it didn't come up in-game. Not sure what I would cut to bring it down. Maybe 2x Pay Day and 1x Lockpicks as all of my resource generation was done by Burglary and The Skeleton Key. Or I'd just eat a third weakness I guess. :shrug:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Oooh, looks like my deck was technically illegal. Borrowed Time isn't coded correctly, so it's not doubling the XP cost like it should (and you can add more than one copy on the site). ArkhamDB has my deck listed at 19xp when it should actually be 22xp. Good catch.

Oh well, at least it didn't come up in-game. Not sure what I would cut to bring it down. Maybe 2x Pay Day and 1x Lockpicks as all of my resource generation was done by Burglary and The Skeleton Key. Or I'd just eat a third weakness I guess. :shrug:

I think those are good cuts. Maybe instead of Lockpicks you could cut down the Chicago Typewriter to Ornate bow or Lupara? Or maybe cut Fence? How effective did it seem to you? Just seems kinda pricey to me for the effect and for I'm not sure you'll ever get enough value back. I have wanted to try it though. Also I'm not a big fan of Liquid Courage in Finn-unless you're using it on other people it's a serious waste with his mind of 1.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

alansmithee posted:

I think those are good cuts. Maybe instead of Lockpicks you could cut down the Chicago Typewriter to Ornate bow or Lupara? Or maybe cut Fence? How effective did it seem to you? Just seems kinda pricey to me for the effect and for I'm not sure you'll ever get enough value back. I have wanted to try it though. Also I'm not a big fan of Liquid Courage in Finn-unless you're using it on other people it's a serious waste with his mind of 1.

Liquid courage was definitely just an inclusion to help other folks out, since we've struggled with damage/horror mitigation in previous standalone scenarios. Finn's Willpower is a problem with no real solution outside of "You handle this one!" for a couple of Willpower tests. I never ended up using Liquid Courage since the Zoey in our group had a Thermos for herself and Rex was packing Logical Reasoning, but Zoey was the ideal person for it. It was also another target for Backpack and Fence.

Fence was surprisingly useful. I waffled back and forth about keeping it in the initial build before playing, but after zipping out Burglary, Lockpicks, and Liquid Courage without wasting actions (over a few turns), and getting 4 resources from the only Pay Day I played all game (a fun interaction I didn't consider until it came up in-game), it did a hell of a lot of work. It also helped me push out a lot of cards I might have otherwise had to toss multiple times due to the absolutely bonkers draw engine that is Burglary + Lucky Cigarette Case + Scavenging + Lockpicks/The Skeleton Key and the action compression that Fence can provide.

I went back and forth on Lupara vs. Chicago Typewriter, too; they're both flexibie for different reasons.
  • Lupara only takes up one hand slot instead of the Typewriter's two, which makes it easier to keep Lockpicks around at the same time
  • Lupara only gets 2 shots to Chicago Typewriter's 4. Finn's Strength isn't the greatest at 3, and Lupara can only boost it to a max of 5, whereas the Typewriter has the option to boost him up to 5, 7, or 9 for one shot.
  • Sleight of Hand has a greater effect being used on Chicago Typewriter since you can use all three of your actions shooting enemies, whereas the third action is kind of wasted with Lupara so Sleight of Hand is less useful.
I kinda felt like if I was going to put one Lupara in the deck that I should go ahead and put in two because of the lower ammo count, which is sort of what steered me towards the Typewriter in the end. I got exceedingly lucky with the situation we were put in where we needed to kill three cultists before being able to attack the boss. The boss was engaged with me and the cultists were engaged with Zoey. I evaded the boss with Finn's free evade, Sleight of Handed the Typewriter out, and attacked each of the cultists engaged with Zoey one at a time. 2 Strength vs. Finn's 3 + 2 from Typewriter, and I managed to pull tokens with low enough modifiers each time that the attacks went through, clearing the way. I couldn't have done the same with Lupara's 2 ammo.

Lupara is definitely a safer choice overall, and the Typewriter is a more flashy, explosive, riskier choice. I knew Finn wasn't going to be combat-heavy no matter what, so I went with the option that might make the most difference in a single turn.

It's a really weird deck that I want to try again since I feel like too many things lined up too well during the scenario to have really put it through its paces. We were incredibly efficient and it feels like we missed some triggers here and there, but we kept looking back and nope, we were just getting really lucky.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Boy that second mission in the core set is hard, huh?After having played the intro scenario about 10 times (teaching others, playing solo, etc.), it was a real shock to run headlong into the cultist boss. I know you're supposed to move on, win or lose, but I think I'll be retrying it a few times to get a feel for how actually possible it is with my lovely Ashcan Pete deck.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's not *that* hard, but you're not really meant to max out your cultist pokedex.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just wait until the third scenario!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I gotta say I did not see another version of Strange Solution coming.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Orange Devil posted:

I gotta say I did not see another version of Strange Solution coming.

Really? Because it was shown in the first preview some months ago ;)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/5/return-to-the-dunwich-legacy/

But apparantly Contraband was show on a european site, did not expect that one either

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Most agree that a single core is not enough card inventory to throw the game around. Two's been good for me, but I'm hosting two other people with their lists, and I can't quite cover Rex, Zoey, and Sefina for everything.

Quite the run on Shortcut, Unexpected Courage, and Arcane Studies...
I know I can proxy but it does bring up the question of whether or not a third core is worth it.
* more core set player cards to support a 3rd investigator better.
* Encounter sets pre-built for Night of the Zealot, Return to Night of the Zealot, and still a set for any other campaign.
* Yet more tokens and another set of the fab five cards.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Xlorp posted:

Most agree that a single core is not enough card inventory to throw the game around. Two's been good for me, but I'm hosting two other people with their lists, and I can't quite cover Rex, Zoey, and Sefina for everything.

Quite the run on Shortcut, Unexpected Courage, and Arcane Studies...
I know I can proxy but it does bring up the question of whether or not a third core is worth it.
* more core set player cards to support a 3rd investigator better.
* Encounter sets pre-built for Night of the Zealot, Return to Night of the Zealot, and still a set for any other campaign.
* Yet more tokens and another set of the fab five cards.

I'd just not run Shortcut or Arcane Studies on two investigators or Unexpected Courage on all three. There are plenty of other good cards and loading up on any of those isn't necessary.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd just not run Shortcut or Arcane Studies on two investigators or Unexpected Courage on all three. There are plenty of other good cards and loading up on any of those isn't necessary.

Given how hard Sefina gets hit when her deck runs low, how do you feel about Quantum Flux for her?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Xlorp posted:

Given how hard Sefina gets hit when her deck runs low, how do you feel about Quantum Flux for her?

I'd include at least one, maybe two.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Did the first two scenarios with a friend using the store demo copy, and I've now picked up the core set and The Forgotten Age.

Does this have the usual FFG thing of "actually, you need to buy three core sets"? It does, doesn't it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

The Lord of Hats posted:

Did the first two scenarios with a friend using the store demo copy, and I've now picked up the core set and The Forgotten Age.

Does this have the usual FFG thing of "actually, you need to buy three core sets"? It does, doesn't it.

Two cores only. Throw away the extra player weaknesses and encounter cards unfortunately.

So basically you're buying a second core for just half of the cards of the second core. Oh well.

The cores are incredibly cheap right now as they are trying hard to make the core their loss leader for getting people to buy all of the other packs.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Zerf posted:

Really? Because it was shown in the first preview some months ago ;)

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/5/return-to-the-dunwich-legacy/

But apparantly Contraband was show on a european site, did not expect that one either

Welp totally missed that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

jeeves posted:

Throw away the extra player weaknesses and encounter cards unfortunately.

Do not throw away the spare scenario cards!!! The later campaign cycles do reuse them quite a bit (including the supposedly scenario-specific ones), so while spare copies aren't strictly necessary, they're pretty useful to have.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
What do folks tend to average in total XP gained over the course of a full campaign?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Despite our miserable performance on the second core scenario, we managed to best the third without too much trouble. All of Dunwich came in (woo black Friday) so I'm excited to tackle it with my new Daisy deck.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

What do folks tend to average in total XP gained over the course of a full campaign?

It depends on whether or not you run Arcane Research / Obol / Shrewd Analysis. Also on higher player counts you tend to land more Delve Too Deeps and pull more of the XP monsters from the deck.

Having played through all 3 campaigns in 2-player in the last 2 weeks we ended up with:
~40-45XP in Dunwich. This definitely happened due to Obol + Shrewd Analysis for Ursula and double Arcane Research and some landed Delve Too Deeps for Father Matteo. I feel like earlier playthroughs tended towards low to mid 30s in XP.
~45XP in Carcosa for Akachi with double Arcane Research and some Delve Too Deeps. Pete had less but ran out of stuff to upgrade anyway.
~50XP in Forgotten Age. Notably, we did not run any XP boosting cards in this campaign.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Started a fresh Dunwich run with a solo Ashcan deck, wherein I'm instigating "pack release order" houserules and only allowing cards outside the Delux Expac box as I get to that scenario. Here were the results of my Extracurricular Activity -> The House Always Wins:

quote:

Current XP: 6
Physical Trauma: 1
Mental Trauma: 1

-the investigators were unconscious for several hours (...twice)
-professor warren rice was kidnapped
-dr. Francis Morgan was kidnapped
-dr. Henry Armitage was kidnapped
-the investigators failed to save the students
-the O’bannon gang has a bone to pick with the investigators

I also failed both scenarios by 1 turn.

I feel like I'm finally playing this game correctly.

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 30, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Orange Devil posted:

It depends on whether or not you run Arcane Research / Obol / Shrewd Analysis. Also on higher player counts you tend to land more Delve Too Deeps and pull more of the XP monsters from the deck.

Having played through all 3 campaigns in 2-player in the last 2 weeks we ended up with:
~40-45XP in Dunwich. This definitely happened due to Obol + Shrewd Analysis for Ursula and double Arcane Research and some landed Delve Too Deeps for Father Matteo. I feel like earlier playthroughs tended towards low to mid 30s in XP.
~45XP in Carcosa for Akachi with double Arcane Research and some Delve Too Deeps. Pete had less but ran out of stuff to upgrade anyway.
~50XP in Forgotten Age. Notably, we did not run any XP boosting cards in this campaign.

Thanks, this is really useful! I haven't played any campaigns in a multiplayer group yet, so I didn't have a frame of reference. I wanted to plan out my Finn deck's future upgrades, and whether or not I was going to take Charon's Obol. No one is running Delve Too Deep in our group, so we are only going to be grabbing what XP we can from the campaign itself.

Since we have enough plays under our belt as a group now, I kinda wish I had elected to run Sefina again, but with Delve Too Deep included. I seem to be playing nothing but rogues, though, so I might be the only high-risk/high-reward player in our group.

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Quidthulhu posted:

Started a fresh Dunwich run with a solo Ashcan deck, wherein I'm instigating "pack release order" houserules and only allowing cards outside the Delux Expac box as I get to that scenario. Here were the results of my Extracurricular Activity -> The House Always Wins:

I've played Dunwich with a solo Ashcan recently, and I feel that you really need to go fast in order to not get left behind by the scenario. This usually means :

- You need draw, to be able to replay Duke often
- Using the Duke actions to get a free move is primordial as well
- Since you're going fast, you won't have to pass too many tests : Fill your deck with base skills that let you draw up upon a successful test.
- Only play assets that you will *really* need to progress and survive, such as the Fire Axe (Duke is better spent investigating if possible), or a Flashlight if there's no enemies around.

In solo games, I like to keep two Wards of Protection around in case something really nasty needs to be avoided. However, you need a good plan against enemies (avoidance or fight) as there's no way to cancel these most of the time.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Thanks, this is really useful! I haven't played any campaigns in a multiplayer group yet, so I didn't have a frame of reference. I wanted to plan out my Finn deck's future upgrades, and whether or not I was going to take Charon's Obol. No one is running Delve Too Deep in our group, so we are only going to be grabbing what XP we can from the campaign itself.

Since we have enough plays under our belt as a group now, I kinda wish I had elected to run Sefina again, but with Delve Too Deep included. I seem to be playing nothing but rogues, though, so I might be the only high-risk/high-reward player in our group.

Here's two more reference decks for you, if you'd like to see some detailed campaign info:
Skids deck, 3p Carcosa, standard difficulty, Delves and Bury them Deep: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/143053
Roland deck, 3p Dunwich, hard difficulty, no extra XP cards: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/179426

They aren't the newest decks, so the decklist themselves aren't the best, but that could give you some more info if you want to read it :)

Quidthulhu posted:

How did you lose the scenarios on turn 1 with Ashcan? :O

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I'm slightly confused about story assets you gain during a campaign. When you gain control of them, do they always start in play, or do some go to your hand/deck?

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.
Usually, the epilogue rules specify if you can include them in your deck from that point.
They don't account in the deck size if I remember that right.

Also, only Permanent cards start in play at the beginning of a scenario, or sometimes if specified in the setup rules for that mission.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FFG spoiled three new allies in their newest preview article

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/30/the-wages-of-sin/

Really like the Alice, especially in a Roland deck. Not sure on Rook. I like his ability but I feel like he's just competing with Doc Milan, and loses that battle every time. Useful if you get him in your starting hand to help accelerate your combos I suppose? Not sure on Wan. I feel like your action equity will come at a net loss over time, though he could get you what you need in a pinch when you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Zerf posted:

Here's two more reference decks for you, if you'd like to see some detailed campaign info:
Skids deck, 3p Carcosa, standard difficulty, Delves and Bury them Deep: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/143053
Roland deck, 3p Dunwich, hard difficulty, no extra XP cards: https://arkhamdb.com/deck/view/179426

They aren't the newest decks, so the decklist themselves aren't the best, but that could give you some more info if you want to read it :)

How did you lose the scenarios on turn 1 with Ashcan? :O

By 1 turn. If I hadn’t lost, I would have one both scenarios after getting through the encounter deck pull both times.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Quidthulhu posted:

By 1 turn. If I hadn’t lost, I would have one both scenarios after getting through the encounter deck pull both times.

That makes much more sense :)

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, if someone hasn't seen it spoiled on other places, here's some Circle Undone spoilers:

We know that there are going to be 6 new gators

Diana Stanely in the preview article
Rita Young(survivor, spoiled on a spanish site)
Carolyn Fern(weakness shown in paper article)
Marie Lambeau(weakness shown in paper article)

That leaves Rogue and Seeker. Give us a Rogue with 5 combat already!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

^^^
They are finally going to print some of the promo investigators!

I played Finn in our Forgotten Age playthrough and feel like I had my whole deck together after the third scenario and was out of real upgrades after the 6th scenario. That's including spending 5XP at the hospital.

Normally Rogue's can just dump sheer infinite XP into amazing card after amazing card, but Finn's restrictions plus general playstyle towards cloover means he's a pretty unique Rogue who really doesn't need a lot of XP.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 2, 2018

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Zerf posted:

So, if someone hasn't seen it spoiled on other places, here's some Circle Undone spoilers:

We know that there are going to be 6 new gators

Diana Stanely in the preview article
Rita Young(survivor, spoiled on a spanish site)
Carolyn Fern(weakness shown in paper article)
Marie Lambeau(weakness shown in paper article)

That leaves Rogue and Seeker. Give us a Rogue with 5 combat already!

Return to... boxes would be a nice way to give us any variant cards for the investigators included in the original deluxe boxes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Well they didn't do that for Roland, so don't count on it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Ursula and Agnes took a trip into the Mesoamerican jungles today! :toot:

The first scenario was loving rough. We got mobbed ridiculously hard, drawing literally every single possible enemy, despite going through less than half of the encounter deck. I got surrounded as Agnes with a hand full of knowledge boosters, but Ursula made it to the Temple with enough health left to tank three consecutive AoOs on investigate rolls to eke us over the finish line (we befriended whatsername because she spawned on top of Ursula, who is completely unsuited for combat). Between the scenario and the interlude, we rolled into scenario 2 with a physical and mental trauma apiece, and a very angry Yig. I picked up Yaotl and an Elder Sign Amulet, which was probably a poor call, Ursula grabbed the musterious stone, a better magnifying glass, and... something.

Scenario 2 was a breeze. Despite a false start with the torches and a Mob Enforcer on Ursula (kudos to him for his dedication) we hit just about every single Explore we attempted, and Ursula hoovered up the clues like crazy, at one point exploring a new location, grabbing both clues off of it with her free investigate, and drawing the Elder Sign so she was immediately able to come back. The 1st Agenda got triggered by the doom on the Chamber of Ages, but we had exactly one other doom on the board, so rear end in a top hat McSnakeface spawned out of our way, and then we triggered the last Act on the same turn, so he moved to engage us, hit Ursula once, and then got evaded and left in the dust like a loser as we booked it out of there with the artifact, which we held for safekeeping (nice to keep a clean(ish) chaos bag). I picked up a second Yaotl, and we're both looking forwards to next week

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
If I play Mind Wipe on Serpents of Yig, does the Elder Sign token remain sealed on it or does it get set free?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Obama 2012 posted:

If I play Mind Wipe on Serpents of Yig, does the Elder Sign token remain sealed on it or does it get set free?

I would say it remains there since you already completely resolved the effect.

Also because the golden rule of Arkham Horror when you're not sure about how things interact is "gently caress you"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

It stays. The revelation effect already resolved and there is no text on the card keeping the token sealed (thus being blanked by Mind Wipe) but instead a general game rule keeping it there.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Additionally, the rules reference for Seal states that, "if a card with one or more chaos tokens sealed on it leaves play for any reason, any chaos tokens sealed on it are immediately released." There is no other specified way for a token to be released.

Also note that Codex of Ages (or anything that has Seal (elder sign) only on it) cannot enter play while Serpent of Yig is in play. The reverse, however, is not true, because Serpent of Yig has a search and seal effect, rather than the keyward Seal (x). If you have the Codex out and Serpents of Yig comes into play, it will search the chaos bag for the elder sign and fail, so the elder sign token will stay on the Codex.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

There's a difficulty pattern in the four official standalones, STANDARD and HARD. And here are the chaos bag worst case number options at both levels
Curse of the Rougarou, -6, -8
Carnevale of Horrors -6, -7
Labyrinths of Lunacy -5,- 6
Guardians of the Abyss -6, -7

What kind of a jolt would it be taking a crew that's only played on Easy with the basic Fantasy Flight investigator decklists?
For most campaigns the chaos bag number chits bottoms for EASY at -2, STANDARD at -4, HARD at -5, EXPERT at -8. Forgotten Age goes at bit harder with -3, -5, -6, -8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The game is more fun but still plenty hard if you just take out the worst negative and add a single +1 in it's place.