Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Those are the optional mini series, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Unless you need to see the origins of main baddie Malekith, just Jason Aaron's Thor.

Thor: God of Thunder (2012)
Thor (2014)
The Mighty Thor (2015)
Thor (2018)
+ some optional miniseries here and there.

Technically, the War story only starts midway through GoT, but you might as well read everything.

Thanks. I've always wanted to read more Thor. If I did want a proper introduction to Malekith, where should I look?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was first in Walt Simonson's run, which is great, but not necessary for this storyline.

Also, Thor: The Dark World :toot:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Tortuga posted:

Thanks. I've always wanted to read more Thor. If I did want a proper introduction to Malekith, where should I look?

If you want more Thor in general, I can't recommend the Walt Simonson run highly enough.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

Jason Aaron does a fine job in Thor: God of Thunder. I haven’t read Simonson’s run, but I didn’t feel like I was missing much.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Open Marriage Night posted:

Jason Aaron does a fine job in Thor: God of Thunder. I haven’t read Simonson’s run, but I didn’t feel like I was missing much.

Only the best Thor storied ever. Aaron id giving Simson a run for his money though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

If you want more Thor in general, I can't recommend the Walt Simonson run highly enough.

I also think that it's the best of the Kirby / Lee stuff, better than Fantastic Four. Tales of Asgard in particular is superb. It was backup material that ran in Thor in those early years, really getting going in Journey into Mystery #117.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Early Thor doesn't have much going on for it (lots of Donald Blake doing some Peter Parker agonising over Jane Foster because "How could she ever love... A CRIPPLE?!") but it improves enormously as Kirby starts taking more of the lead on it, which I think begins with Tales of Asgard.

I believe Kirby's idea was that they would do Ragnarok and then that would be it for Thor, but Lee was keen to keep Thor going and around and vetoed it. So when Kirby went to DC and started off New Gods with that "THERE CAME A TIME WHEN THE OLD GODS DIED!" splash page, he was repurposing art he'd drawn for a Thor Ragnarok storyline which he hadn't gotten to use, so the "Old Gods" of the DC universe are implicitly the Marvel version of the Asgardians. :v:

Something to that effect anyway.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Nah, you're missing a lot. Simonson's Thor is on a lot of people's 'best run of comics ever' lists for a reason.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 3, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's one weakish spot in Simonson's run on Thor (the stuff with Justice Peace and Zaniac - evidently he'd been reading a bunch of 2000 AD) but it's only weak in comparison to the rest of it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Didn't Simonson do that bonkers mashup of RoboCop vs Terminators? I seem to remember Alex strapping into a rocket or a nuke and blowing everything to kingdom come.

My inner 12 year old would love to see an R rated movie of that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, you're missing a lot. Simonson's Thor is on a lot of people's 'best run of comics ever' lists for a reason.

Yes, but it isn’t necessary to understand what’s going on in Aaron’s run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True but it should be required reading.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jiro posted:

Didn't Simonson do that bonkers mashup of RoboCop vs Terminators? I seem to remember Alex strapping into a rocket or a nuke and blowing everything to kingdom come.

That comic ruled and the twist that robocop was the basis for skynet or the terminators ruled.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jiro posted:

Frank Miller wrote it (although don't let this stop you, as it's amazing and worth the three dollars to put it together in your local dollar bin), and Walt did the art.

Rhyno posted:

True but it should be required reading.

Yeah. If you like Thor, you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice not reading it.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'd love to know what makes Marvel think the market is hungry for two Conan books.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dark Horse did that sometimes as well. They'd have a regular Conan and a King Conan going at the same time. Not at all times, but we'll see how it works out for Marvel.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm grabbing Conan by Duggan, it may, or may not be good but I'm willing to try.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

I'm grabbing Conan by Duggan, it may, or may not be good but I'm willing to try.

Isn't Mahmud Asrar on it? It'll at least be pretty.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Marvel's go to strategy is to publish as much of everything as they can, but at least the Conan books have some good looking creative teams announced.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aaron is doing one of them, right? He seems like a guy who has probably had an entire shelf of Conans next to his writing desk for the past 30 years.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aaron is doing one of them, right? He seems like a guy who has probably had an entire shelf of Conans next to his writing desk for the past 30 years.

Not sure what in the world would make you think that.

https://twitter.com/jasonaaron/status/1033023560426708992

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
aaron seems like the kind of guy to have a real battle axe hanging on his wall too so i wouldnt want to fight him over conan

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't checked but good money says they're remastering the original series for re-release as well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I haven't checked but good money says they're remastering the original series for re-release as well.

Didn't dark horse already do a lot of this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Didn't dark horse already do a lot of this?

Marvel did it first back in the 90's. Why not do it again? Look how they handled Miracleman.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Just wondering, are there any runs on Thor that isn’t loving badass?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The man called M posted:

Just wondering, are there any runs on Thor that isn’t loving badass?

Most of them really. Like a good modern run is great, but you can instantly bring any character back to Earth by showing what they were doing in the 90s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most Thor runs have at least one cool thing going for them. Even the Jurgens Thor had that one great story where he fights Thanos and Mangog even if a lot of the rest of it is just okay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's plenty of bad Thor. Like pretty much everything post Simonson until 1997.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I know some people have a soft spot for Tom deFalco's run but as far as I'm concerned its excruciatingly boring and irritating.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How is Cates Venom so good?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archyduchess posted:

I know some people have a soft spot for Tom deFalco's run but as far as I'm concerned its excruciatingly boring and irritating.

Well, it did give us Thunderstrike.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

There's an omnibus with the four Loeb/Sale color books - thoughts? I like Long Halloween as a fun Batman greatest hits, thought Dark Victory was bad, and was eh on Hush. But maybe these are good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Archyduchess posted:

I'm one of those. While by no means would I call it good, there's some stuff I can admire in the attempt like trying to make Code: Blue a thing and it's got a Thor/Juggernaut fight which is always fun. He also did a deep dive of the Wrecking Crew, sort of. You can also tell it was the 90's as Ghost Rider gets used a lot at one point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

There's plenty of bad Thor. Like pretty much everything post Simonson until 1997.

When did Ellis write it? Is it good?

How's his Excalibur?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He wrote 4 issues in 1994 or 1995 and it's awful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zachack posted:

There's an omnibus with the four Loeb/Sale color books - thoughts? I like Long Halloween as a fun Batman greatest hits, thought Dark Victory was bad, and was eh on Hush. But maybe these are good?

I've only read Spider-Man Blue and Hulk Grey, but they were both great.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Daredevil: Yellow is very good too. There’s a Fantastic Four appearance in there that’ll make you wish that team did a book about them.

Heard Captain America: White was crap, but 3/4 ain’t bad. They’re sweet love stories, and Tim Sale is in top form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

^burtle posted:

I'd love to know what makes Marvel think the market is hungry for two Conan books.

They remembered when they had Conan and had two books running at the same time. Conan was the all ages and Savage was the one that had more violence and sex