Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lightning Knight posted:

I wish I was as cool as you were in first grade.

I was probably always destined to be some kind of liberal or leftist tho, I went to Catholic school for all of my primary and secondary education and I was always more interested in the "why are there poor people and how can we help them?" parts than the "how do we best tell gay people to gently caress off?" parts.

Two birds with one stone, give all the rich gay people money to poor people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Doctor Butts posted:

That's the year I graduated high school.

Hell, it's the year after I graduated high school in rural central Ohio.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

IDK if assuming the electoral repudiation is a giant conspiracy against Trump, which they will do, would actually kill Trumpism. On the one hand they might all just assume the Deep State must be unbeatable and slink away. On the other, they'll just be mad and ready to do something even dumber than voting for him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hell, it's the year after I graduated high school in rural central Ohio.

Username makes post

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Two birds with one stone, give all the rich gay people money to poor people

Peter Thiel feels a disturbance in the Force and rushes to secure his supply of teenager blood.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
As someone born in Nixon's first year in office, I....

...what was I saying?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Fart City posted:

Overcompensation for having the physical appearance of what it feels like to touch raw chicken.

Unseasoned raw chicken. Note.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lumpy posted:

As someone born in Nixon's first year in office, I....

...what was I saying?

Your forums account will be old enough to vote in 2020. :toot:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My father was a Republican and my mother was a Democrat back in the 80s, so as a child I always thought that one side was good and one side was evil, I just wasn't sure which was which. Then in college I ~reached enlightenment~ and decided that both sides had their points and the truth must surely, surely lie somewhere in the middle.

Now as an adult I know that evil exists, and half the idiots in this country want them in power. Funny how I had it right the first time.

(My dad voted to re-elect W and has spent the rest of his life regretting it, registered as and voting straight-ticket Democrat since 2006.)

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

selec posted:

Born in 76, raised by libs who are still libs, have gotten leftier as I got older, but reading the Obama admin via LF was what really converted me to an anti capitalist dirtbag.

Edit:
For me, getting older has meant less worry about making rent (I got extremely lucky by accident and have a good career) and much more about worry about meaning and fulfillment, and making the world better. When I was younger I wanted leftist policies because I needed relief. Now that I don’t need relief, I want them just as much because I want to think there’s hope for a better world.

Same boat, 2 years younger. Got lucky too. Want everyone to get some. Take it from the fuckers that are robbing us all.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It’s hard to take anything in this article seriously when it is badly misrepresenting Glaspie’s communication with Saddam. “Effect greenlight” leaves a lot of room for uncharitable interpretations. This is frustrating because we have great documentation on the subject of her conversations, intentions, and instructions from her superiors, which all make it clear that though the US would not take a position on the Iraqi-Kuwaiti border issue, it definitely wasn’t tacitly supportive of military intervention. This is clear both in transcripts released at the time and in secret diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks anyone can easily read for themselves. At worst we can say her statements were misinterpreted by Saddam but even that stains credulity.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

And the sad thing is, this is my re-reg. I changed jobs and lost the email I first registered with. :argh:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lumpy posted:

And the sad thing is, this is my re-reg. I changed jobs and lost the email I first registered with. :argh:

lol goddamn we got a true OG over here.

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1070067086196649984

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If I take a knee every time I watch Goof Troop I'm going to need surgery.

Believe in something, even if it hyuck’s you everything.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah, Appeal to Reason.

Rise Against is a curious beast, they're probably the biggest band that is consistently leftist that has come the closest to being mainstream icons. Unfortunately they've faded in relevance since Endgame, and I think they're reaching that point where they're old enough and have families that constant touring is taking its toll.

I give Rise Against mad props for being hugely pro-environmentalist, anti-war, and pro-immigrant way before any of those things were cool in the mainstream American left post-80s. They even took a stand against homophobia back in 2011, which was a pretty big deal at the time.

I like Rise Against and all but they're just treading the same path Bad Religion did 20 years before them

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Do we know if Trump has already seen the Flynn memo, or will he see it with the rest of us when it drops?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Bush family promised Trump that funeral would avoid criticizing him: report

quote:

The Bush family promised President Trump that speeches and eulogies at the late George H.W. Bush's funeral would avoid criticizing him, sources familiar with the funeral preparations told The Washington Post.

The family reportedly assured Trump that the former president's funeral would not include the anti-Trump messaging on display at the August funeral for the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

“The comparisons are presenting themselves; we are not heightening them,” a source familiar with funeral preparations told the Post.

Another source close to the preparations told the Post that Bush “wouldn’t want anyone there to feel uncomfortable, including the incumbent president.”

“It’s interesting, though, that praising the Bushes or McCain risks sounding critical of Trump even when Trump’s in no way part of the thinking,” the source told the newspaper.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Had 24 year old me been here. Oh god what the gently caress was I at 24.

I think I might have been a libertarian. I observed a local art exhibit that mocked the victims of terrorism and I was like "They should ban that" and libertarians smelled blood and gave me the whole "free speech for all/small government" treatment and I saw the light

A libertarian who thought Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was the good guy.

And that the social safety net could be replaced with private donations

That affirmative action was racist against white people because it gave minorities an unfair advantage.

That Dennis Miller and Bill Maher was the peak of comedy.

I bought Maddox book and reiterated the passage about the wage gap not existing.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I hope they do it anyways. That would be the funniest thing ever.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Too Shy Guy posted:

My father was a Republican and my mother was a Democrat back in the 80s, so as a child I always thought that one side was good and one side was evil, I just wasn't sure which was which. Then in college I ~reached enlightenment~ and decided that both sides had their points and the truth must surely, surely lie somewhere in the middle.

Now as an adult I know that evil exists, and half the idiots in this country want them in power. Funny how I had it right the first time.

(My dad voted to re-elect W and has spent the rest of his life regretting it, registered as and voting straight-ticket Democrat since 2006.)

The thing that is frustrating is that often times the policy ideals they espouse aren't always bad or terrible. But then you look at how they want to implement those, or what they actually mean by them, or how they're just a straight lie, and it breaks your brain a bit.

Like I'm not opposed to the idea of smaller government, but that doesn't translate to deregulation. We have regulation because when we don't you have poo poo like contaminated food and rivers being able to be lit on fire. I'm not opposed to trying to reduce government spending, but republicans seem to only want to decrease spending on a bunch of poo poo that actively makes the country better and increase military spending.

Man how do you even get to the point of "I'd better defend this guy who authorized the murder of a US citizen" and think that it is going to play well for you?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol why? It's not like they loving want him there

ZypherIM posted:

Man how do you even get to the point of "I'd better defend this guy who authorized the murder of a US citizen" and think that it is going to play well for you?

Trump has spent the last 2 years painting journalists as the "enemy of the people", why not keep pressing that agenda?

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Katt posted:

Had 24 year old me been here. Oh god what the gently caress was I at 24.

I think I might have been a libertarian.

Pretty sure this forum used to be a gigantic ron paul libertarian suckfest before it randomly swung into some vague combination of anarcho-syndicalist and communism now types

Kale
May 14, 2010

I love how we are at the point where its just openly acknowledged by everyone that the President is a tremendous baby that is so painfully insecure that you have to promise him these things just to see that the natural order and procession of something like a presidential funeral is observed and yet its still totally fine for him to be president. Examplary leadership babysitting at the top levels of the American government.

This is tomororw right?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I want to be in the timeline where Donnie got invited, but Billy didnt get invited

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Wilhelm posted:

Pretty sure this forum used to be a gigantic ron paul libertarian suckfest before it randomly swung into some vague combination of anarcho-syndicalist and communism now types

It's always been fairly left wing overall but there was a huge lolbertarian minority.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2018

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wilhelm posted:

2008 broke a lot of goons' conception of the way the world works

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The first of the Basta bans are in.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I used to post here in defense of guns, I was a big dumbass. :( In my defense I grew up in Indiana and I'm better now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1070063574251393025?s=19

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I thought you could only invoke the fifth when actually being questioned, not just say "nah" to an imperative to appear

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

The forums themselves were old enough to vote in the midterms.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kale posted:

I love how we are at the point where its just openly acknowledged by everyone that the President is a tremendous baby that is so painfully insecure that you have to promise him these things just to see that the natural order and procession of something like a presidential funeral is observed and yet its still totally fine for him to be president. Examplary leadership babysitting at the top levels of the American government.

This is tomororw right?

The real beauty of it is that Trump was concerned that a funeral was somehow still going to be about him. Like people were waiting for Bush to die for the opportunity to stick it to him.

What were the "anti-Trump" statements at McCain's funeral, anyway? Since I wasn't going to watch anybody talking about how great that shithead was I didn't pay attention. I'm guessing someone said something incorrectly praising McCain's integrity or bipartisanship and Trump decided that it was a personal attack.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I thought you could only invoke the fifth when actually being questioned, not just say "nah" to an imperative to appear

There actually are some fifth amendment protections against turning over documents, but they're far from absolute. I don't see how any of them would apply in Stone's case anyway.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Maybe. I feel like there are pros and cons to both. like trump getting removed would send a message to the world that we will remove psychos like him if they fall to high(like turkey used to do) but it could make trump a martyr to the chuds but it might kick American overt fascists back in the closet for another generation, same with he gets elected out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Random Stranger posted:

What were the "anti-Trump" statements at McCain's funeral, anyway? Since I wasn't going to watch anybody talking about how great that shithead was I didn't pay attention. I'm guessing someone said something incorrectly praising McCain's integrity or bipartisanship and Trump decided that it was a personal attack.

Pretty much. McCain had become an enemy in Trump's eyes before he died and Trump had spent a lot of time making sure everyone knew it, so it was impossible to attend and/or eulogize him without appearing, also in Trump's eyes and in the eyes of the Trump-acknowledging media, to implicitly side with McCain. In modern America everything is either pro-Trump or anti-Trump, including the funerals of war heroes who have worked in government for multiple decades.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Random Stranger posted:

The real beauty of it is that Trump was concerned that a funeral was somehow still going to be about him. Like people were waiting for Bush to die for the opportunity to stick it to him.

His daughter Meghan, she of the daily TV meltdowns, had a whole section of her eulogy on how "America was already great."

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

I've had an SA account for approximately half my lifetime, lol I'm hosed

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I was born on a mountain, raised in a cave

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

How can a man with an ego that big also be so loving fragile?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

The Fifth is, afaik, always interpreted as to not require criminal defendants to take the stand in an actual court to invoke it.

Congressional committees, however, are different, and have historically forced people to show up to invoke it - because they'll be asking about lots of things you CAN answer, and you can't broadly assert it to refuse to answer questions that won't incriminate you.

This committee of course won't subpoena stone because republicans control it. But if the House wants him back, they can certainly force him to appear.

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Furnaceface posted:

How can a man with an ego that big also be so loving fragile?

They're the same thing.