Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ego-bot posted:

Are there any movies that take place in the early middles ages (500-1000 ad)?

The only one I can think of is The 13th Warrior.

Mulan, Brave, Aladdin, House of Flying Daggers, are all, I believe, set around then. Valhalla Rising is only 11th century, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ego-bot posted:

Are there any movies that take place in the early middles ages (500-1000 ad)?

The only one I can think of is The 13th Warrior.

The Secret of Kells takes place in the 9th century I think.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maybe the short film Trace but it's hard to find proper info on its availability. The dialogue entirely in Old Norse (8th-13th centuries) but I don't know if it's set in some actual year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K1GyQm0pf8

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

peer posted:

whichever king arthur is least bad lol

Date-stamped
https://youtu.be/w8Rn_f75UHs

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How does catering work in movies? Is the entire crew able to go eat, or do some people have to pack their lunches? Or is catering just a special event? And how would they decide what food to serve?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How does catering work in movies? Is the entire crew able to go eat, or do some people have to pack their lunches? Or is catering just a special event? And how would they decide what food to serve?

The whole crew is fed, top to bottom, every day . The caterer will usually have a variety of foods, eg a meat and vegetarian main, selection of salads and sides, fruit, maybe some desserts and cheeses, etc. Snacks are also usually on hand, and breakfasts for early starts and dinner for late shoots. Catering a feature can be an expensive proposition.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
But there are tiers. Tent pole summer movies get the best all the way down to bag lunches on set of a Hallmark Christmas movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Krispy Wafer posted:

But there are tiers. Tent pole summer movies get the best all the way down to bag lunches on set of a Hallmark Christmas movie.

This is like a rookie producer mistake (or just lovely producer). I've been on sets from 250K to near 10M (no tent poles unfortunately) and they've all been pretty excellently catered. Nice heated tents, excellent food choices, and even a breakfast food truck with great snack options throughout the day.

When you're asking a crew to take reduced rates, or work in the cold rain, or whatever... the first thing you should do is make sure they are fed well. The amount of goodwill it buys you with a crew is worth 10 times the cost of the food.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I built scenes and such for concerts for a while and I assume the technicalities are the same.

Basically, everyone shows up and works they rear end off and we are then served a portion of spaghetti bolognese without any salt at all

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
That's literally the same tier of spaghetti i got in jail, lmao
I'd walk off that set

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

This is like a rookie producer mistake (or just lovely producer). I've been on sets from 250K to near 10M (no tent poles unfortunately) and they've all been pretty excellently catered. Nice heated tents, excellent food choices, and even a breakfast food truck with great snack options throughout the day.

When you're asking a crew to take reduced rates, or work in the cold rain, or whatever... the first thing you should do is make sure they are fed well. The amount of goodwill it buys you with a crew is worth 10 times the cost of the food.

Yeah, I’ve also often heard that one shouldn’t skimp on catering. A hungry crew is a bad crew.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was making an assumption in part about stories I’ve heard about basic cable meal service compared to network shows. However it would not surprise me if even lower tier productions punched above their weight when it came to feeding crew.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else sometimes avoid watching movies they know they'd love in favor of garbage for no apparent reason? I don't know why I do this. I've got all these movies that are critically acclaimed, recommended by friends, etc. that I know I'll enjoy, and I'm always "saving them for later" but the second The Meg hits streaming rental I'm slamming down on the play button. I'm worried I might be an idiot.

I recent years I've had the opposite problem. Watching way too many great films and then putting off the silly horror and sci-fi stuff. I should really watch Critters, Weekend at Bernie's 2 and The Return of Swamp Thing but I end up going with disc 3 of Berlin Alexanderplatz.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Is there a set minimum length for features? I recently re-watched Soderbergh's The Limey (90 min) and couldn't help but think that it felt about 15 minutes too long but would been great as an hour long feature.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SimonCat posted:

Is there a set minimum length for features? I recently re-watched Soderbergh's The Limey (90 min) and couldn't help but think that it felt about 15 minutes too long but would been great as an hour long feature.

Technically most institutes claim it needs to be at least 40 minutes to hit that qualifier (with Screen Actors Guild saying at least 80 minutes): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_film

However, you'd be hard pressed to get a distributor on board with anything less than the 80-90 minute range.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every time this discussion comes up, I want the 70 minute movie to make a return so that they can bring back double features.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Every time this discussion comes up, I want the 70 minute movie to make a return so that they can bring back double features.

Back in 2012-13, when I lived in Baltimore, there was a theater--that John Waters often frequented--that would do double features every Friday or Saturday. Ten bucks for two movies was great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Speaking as someone who will not hesitate to go see a six hour movie, two 90+ minute movies in a row is really punishing. It's just too baggy for the double feature format.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember seeing "The Hunt for Red October" in theaters, and before the movie started, they showed the Mr. Bean short "The Royal Premiere".

They should bring back shorts.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

I remember seeing "The Hunt for Red October" in theaters, and before the movie started, they showed the Mr. Bean short "The Royal Premiere".

Ive been wanting this for years. One cartoon movie a year getting a short is pitiful
Put a tom and jerry short before a punisher movie, etc

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Disney was playing around with those but I think everyone hating that Frozen thing before Coco made them pull back. I was expecting one before the new Ralph but it was a no-show

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SimonCat posted:

Generally the specification is 90-120m inclusive of credits but the film can go over or under if it works. It usually requires financier/distributor approval though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Speaking as someone who will not hesitate to go see a six hour movie, two 90+ minute movies in a row is really punishing. It's just too baggy for the double feature format.

I think it works well enough if there is a large enough break in-between to allow you to go outside and stretch your legs, but doing it in one sitting can become uncomfortable very quickly.

Davros1 posted:

What I'd love to see theatres attempt is showing a couple of 20-30 minutes shorts in place of a normal feature. There's so much cool stuff you can only ever experience at home unless you're lucky enough to live near a popular festival.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Samuel Clemens posted:

What I'd love to see theatres attempt is showing a couple of 20-30 minutes shorts in place of a normal feature. There's so much cool stuff you can only ever experience at home unless you're lucky enough to live near a popular festival.

A theater in the town I used to live in would have a couple showings around Oscar time for all of the nominated Live-Action and Animated Shorts. The showings were always packed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a reason that Disney is blowing their entire load at once with all these live action remakes? It seemed inevitable that they would happen, but Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King, all at the same time? It almost makes me wonder if they got some sort of analytics which showed that people were going to burn out on unoriginal nostalgia fueled crap before the end of 2019 and that they should strike while the iron is still hot.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The world is ending sooner than anyone wants to admit, they're just being pragmatic and trying to make as much cash as possible so the executives can relocate to the Mars colony for billionaires before 2030.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

Disney was playing around with those but I think everyone hating that Frozen thing before Coco made them pull back. I was expecting one before the new Ralph but it was a no-show

Didn't they put steamboat willy redux in front of frozen or was that just dvd?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

No, that was in theatres as well. Pretty good experience in 3D.

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a reason that Disney is blowing their entire load at once with all these live action remakes? It seemed inevitable that they would happen, but Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King, all at the same time?

If there's ever an indication of oversaturation, I'd expect Disney to space them out a bit more, but so far, they don't seem to cannibalise each others sales, so why bother? It's not like that money is going to be worth more in 2020.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Their other franchises (Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel) are basically annual at this point and I’m sure they pitch the remakes in a similar way to investors

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a reason that Disney is blowing their entire load at once with all these live action remakes? It seemed inevitable that they would happen, but Dumbo, Aladdin, and Lion King, all at the same time? It almost makes me wonder if they got some sort of analytics which showed that people were going to burn out on unoriginal nostalgia fueled crap before the end of 2019 and that they should strike while the iron is still hot.

Iger gets more money in his retirement package if the stock price or revenue or something is above certain levels, and like it gets increasingly ludicrous the higher those markers are, so he's just letting the studio go nuts with ransacking every possible thing people have nostalgia over.

You should see the list of sequels and spinoffs they're pumping out of this thing. We're getting a loving movie about either the prince from Cinderella or Snow White, there's a sequel to Maleficent coming, Will Smith is going to be in - I poo poo you not, this is the current title - Genies, this poo poo is going to be as inescapable as Marvel or Star Wars under Disney has been within a couple years once the gears are really going on it. Also a Jungle Book 2, I bet there's already plans in place for an Aladdin follow-up before that movie is even finished, willing to bet "Tink" has been pulled out of development hell, we still have Emma Stone as Cruella, there's still Sword in the Stone and Peter Pan movies in development, it goes on and on.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 5, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I still can't imagine the Cruella movie happening. I just don't think there's any way you can sympathize a woman that kills puppies.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

I still can't imagine the Cruella movie happening. I just don't think there's any way you can sympathize a woman that kills puppies.

She can just take out a lot of toxic debt in their names.

Or else they have to be really bad dogs :ohdear:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

It turns out the puppies were racist.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I assume they'll drop any references to animal-killing entirely and just have her be an eccentric fashion designer. More Edna Mode than old-school Cruella de Vil. I just hope they keep her leitmotif.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume they'll drop any references to animal-killing entirely and just have her be an eccentric fashion designer.

I could see them doing The Devil Wears Prada with her as a young naif next to an even more evil designer. The Devil Wears Chopped-Up Dog Babies

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

couldcareless posted:

It's an origin story, the puppies aren't born yet. Probably she's juts spaying and neutering dogs at this point, and everyone loves that! We'll learn that she starts to think that population control has to go beyond just sterilization, though...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wheat Loaf posted:

It turns out the puppies were racist.

Can I recommend to you a movie called WHITE DOG by Sam Fuller

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

morestuff posted:

I could see them doing The Devil Wears Prada with her as a young naif next to an even more evil designer. The Devil Wears Chopped-Up Dog Babies

A double origin story, for Cruella and for that Lady Gaga meat dress

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I Before E posted:

A double origin story, for Cruella and for that Lady Gaga meat dress

Turns out this is actually a stealth Muppets reboot and Cruella wants to make a dress out of Kermit the Frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Is Martin Scorsese the most prolific (mainstream, that is) director to never be attached to a single studio?