Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Speaking as the proud owner of a Paladin it's the worst knight by a considerable margin. The errant is ok though, especially with some of the relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Pendent posted:

Speaking as the proud owner of a Paladin it's the worst knight by a considerable margin. The errant is ok though, especially with some of the relics.

Of those two, the Errant always seemed better because the shoulder mounted meltagun really compliments your main gun, and the short range of melta pairs nicely with wanting to get close enough to charge and take advantage of your melee weapon.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm working on mine now!

It's an excuse to clean out the extra nurgle poo poo box.

Edit: just noticed from the pic some warts fell off :[

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DotyManX posted:

So I’d been planning to avoid the whole knight thing, but there’s a guy in the local group selling the “standard” knights for $60 which seemed like too good a deal to pass on, so what’s the generally accepted best way to kit this guy out to help my beleaguered space marines? It came with the chainsword, battle cannon and thermal cannon, is there a different weapon I should look into picking up?

So here's the thing. The Rapid Fire Battle Cannon is grossly over-costed. Considering that a 20pt Guard Battle Cannon can fire twice if the Leman Russ its on moves 6" or less, having to pay 100pts to do the same thing on your Knight is ridiculous. While having a 72" gun seems nice, putting it on a Knight that also has a Chainsword is a waste since you'll need to close to get any real use out of the sword.

On the other hand, the Thermal Cannon is one of the best anti-tank weapons in the game and costs 24pts less than the RFBC. It has a 36" range and works best at 18", which is where you'll want to be anyway since you'll want to step on infantry and stab tanks. Give your knight the Thermal, the Chainsword, the melta-gun, and use it as a dedicated tank-hunter.

I'd also pay the extra 45 points for the Stormspear missile launcher. To get three Krak Missiles for Guard would cost 60pts, three Krak for Marines is 75. The Stormspear at 45pts is a steal and a nearly auto-include in my book, and synergizes with a tank-hunting Knight. You probably don't have a missile pod in your kit and the actual pod ebays for like $30, but for $10 you can ebay a Valkyrie rocket pod and with some minimal conversion work that'll do in a pinch.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The RFBC isn't that bad. It's a bit overcosted, sure, but it's also longer ranged, the Knight is more accurate than the tank crew and the Knight's a lot more durable. It's not the best knight option but in the grand scheme of things it's still a mid-high tier option.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

NovemberMike posted:

The RFBC isn't that bad. It's a bit overcosted, sure, but it's also longer ranged, the Knight is more accurate than the tank crew and the Knight's a lot more durable. It's not the best knight option but in the grand scheme of things it's still a mid-high tier option.

I haven't tried myself, but I've heard that a crusader with a RFBC, Endless Fury, and the house Raven strat is supposed to be pretty good, the only issue being that a Castellan is better so this setup isn't played.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Strobe posted:

Nothing in Chapter Approved is going to change how ITC and other major tournaments handle deployment and first turn. Any change that might be happening will only affect local/small games and tournaments.

You're probably right - but did they run with the 'person who finishes alternate deploying first gets to go first thing' at the start of 8th or did they have a dice roll from the beginning?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Harkano posted:

You're probably right - but did they run with the 'person who finishes alternate deploying first gets to go first thing' at the start of 8th or did they have a dice roll from the beginning?

It was just "whoever finishes first gets to go first" which, obviously, gave certain armies way too big of an advantage and encouraged list building a specific way.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

PierreTheMime posted:

You’re returning at the perfect time, the Ork codex was just released and is pretty great! There are a number of newer model kits you may want to consider to bolster your boyz, but the bread and butter of most lists are the models you probably already have.

The differences between the 4th/5th Ork rules and what they are now is... significant. I’d recommend you read up on the new rules and maybe some of the articles and codex breakdowns available before you really commit to major purchases. There are plenty of Ork players here that can probably get you in the right direction.

Ah, very good to know! Last time I played, it was all about Boyz, Killa Kans (grotzooka option), Trukk Boyz, Boyz and a few more Boyz. Lootas were considered the best ranged option. The internets have changed radically in 12 years -- what are some good resources for Ork general strategy & tactics?

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 4, 2018

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

It was just "whoever finishes first gets to go first" which, obviously, gave certain armies way too big of an advantage and encouraged list building a specific way.

Yeah I agree it was a terrible system, but I'm wondering if the ITC guys used it at the start of 8th, and then changed when the first chapter approved came out with "first to finish gets a +1 to the roll". So potentially a precedent of them changing.

This new system is interesting (assuming it's on more than that one mission), you want to lose the roll if you want to pick first turn but as a downside have to deploy your entire army first, and the winner of the roll has to pick the deployment they like , and the zone that fits them best.

Wondering how much this does to help against 'alpha strike' gameplay.

I'm used to Warmachine where the annual Steamroller pack does it's best to balance the decisions between first and second turn (not that Alpha strike is as huge a deal in that due to the shorter range of guns) in terms of scenario scoring, and deployment zone size.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

NovemberMike posted:

I spent 4 solid turns shooting my knight's battle cannon at a broadside without killing it. It's bad.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

If you don't want to shell out for the extra sprue I got one of these and it's pretty good. Even magnetizes between the gatling and battle cannon (and the cannon looks way better, imo)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Mechanoid-Cannon-Combo-/263339541082?nav=SEARCH

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Floppychop posted:

If you don't want to shell out for the extra sprue I got one of these and it's pretty good. Even magnetizes between the gatling and battle cannon (and the cannon looks way better, imo)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Mechanoid-Cannon-Combo-/263339541082?nav=SEARCH

Mr. Blood And Skulls is also super responsive and friendly in my experience.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I know that knights are the bees knees now, but are Baneblades (or their variants) comparable to them? I have a mental image of buying one someday and using it to help support my scions... it may not be the best choice, but I think it’d be fun to have my special forces boys be supported by a big ol’ super heavy tank.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Harkano posted:

Yeah I agree it was a terrible system, but I'm wondering if the ITC guys used it at the start of 8th, and then changed when the first chapter approved came out with "first to finish gets a +1 to the roll". So potentially a precedent of them changing.

This new system is interesting (assuming it's on more than that one mission), you want to lose the roll if you want to pick first turn but as a downside have to deploy your entire army first, and the winner of the roll has to pick the deployment they like , and the zone that fits them best.

I'm used to Warmachine where the annual Steamroller pack does it's best to balance the decisions between first and second turn (not that Alpha strike is as huge a deal in that due to the shorter range of guns) in terms of scenario scoring, and deployment zone size.

It was the other way around, ITC and a bunch of other formats were using the +1 to go first thing and GW took it from there.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Harkano posted:

The other key thing about the mission they showed is that it has progressive scoring at the end of battle rounds (not turns), meaning there's a strong incentive to go second that most missions lack.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I know that knights are the bees knees now, but are Baneblades (or their variants) comparable to them? I have a mental image of buying one someday and using it to help support my scions... it may not be the best choice, but I think it’d be fun to have my special forces boys be supported by a big ol’ super heavy tank.
For a while, at least pre-knights codex, the go-to advice in this thread was "just take a shadowsword". Someone would post up a fantastic knight they had just painted and immediately get told they were dumb and picked the wrong model and they should have just bought and painted a shadowsword instead. This was one of this thread's low points.

So, yeah, I think shadowswords are supposed to be pretty good. I don't know about the other variants. :v:

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They're generally pretty good. I haven't kept up, but a little while ago there were 3 baneblade (variants) lists that did reasonably well. They lack the invuln of a knight, and don't have the bonkers amazing strategems of knights (only reasonably decent strategems), but otherwise they're pretty comparable. Unlike knights, you can buff them with psykers though, -1 to hit and +1 to saves is very strong. The shadowsword is a good knight killer, who are in the meta right now - which may change with chapter approved I guess - if you're lucky it'll absolutely delete a knight in a turn, but normally only 2/3 of a knight. They also get killed to poo poo by knights though.

e: my subjective opinion is that even though guard is my favorite army, and I really like the baneblades, unless it's the fortress of arrogance, the knights are just way cooler.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 4, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Open Play preview for CA2018: Looted Vehicles and Character Creation

quote:

A Chaos Lord with the Heirloom Weapon trait, Terrifying ability and Ferocious Combatant characteristic modifier makes a great Talos from Aaron Dembski-Bowden’s Night Lords series, while a Lord Commissar with Reactive Tactics, Stealth Assault and Courageous makes for a great Ibram Gaunt.

Yesterday's Rumour Engine:

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

jng2058 posted:

So here's the thing. The Rapid Fire Battle Cannon is grossly over-costed. Considering that a 20pt Guard Battle Cannon can fire twice if the Leman Russ its on moves 6" or less, having to pay 100pts to do the same thing on your Knight is ridiculous. While having a 72" gun seems nice, putting it on a Knight that also has a Chainsword is a waste since you'll need to close to get any real use out of the sword.

On the other hand, the Thermal Cannon is one of the best anti-tank weapons in the game and costs 24pts less than the RFBC. It has a 36" range and works best at 18", which is where you'll want to be anyway since you'll want to step on infantry and stab tanks. Give your knight the Thermal, the Chainsword, the melta-gun, and use it as a dedicated tank-hunter.

I'd also pay the extra 45 points for the Stormspear missile launcher. To get three Krak Missiles for Guard would cost 60pts, three Krak for Marines is 75. The Stormspear at 45pts is a steal and a nearly auto-include in my book, and synergizes with a tank-hunting Knight. You probably don't have a missile pod in your kit and the actual pod ebays for like $30, but for $10 you can ebay a Valkyrie rocket pod and with some minimal conversion work that'll do in a pinch.

Sounds like a plan, it seems like the main difference between the 24 wound knights is just their weapon loadouts, is that correct? So if I magnetize and pickup ebay or 3rd party weapons it can be any of the smaller knights?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DotyManX posted:

Sounds like a plan, it seems like the main difference between the 24 wound knights is just their weapon loadouts, is that correct? So if I magnetize and pickup ebay or 3rd party weapons it can be any of the smaller knights?

Correct, if you magnetize both arms you can buy weapons on ebay or pick up third party options and do any sort of knight. My personal favorite are the fist/chainsword gallants.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

DotyManX posted:

Yep. They're trivial to magnetise too, apart from the battle cannon and thermal cannon which share a mount, all the other weapons come as a complete thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Technowolf posted:

Redemptionists!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Revelation 2-13 posted:

They're generally pretty good. I haven't kept up, but a little while ago there were 3 baneblade (variants) lists that did reasonably well. They lack the invuln of a knight, and don't have the bonkers amazing strategems of knights (only reasonably decent strategems), but otherwise they're pretty comparable. Unlike knights, you can buff them with psykers though, -1 to hit and +1 to saves is very strong. The shadowsword is a good knight killer, who are in the meta right now - which may change with chapter approved I guess - if you're lucky it'll absolutely delete a knight in a turn, but normally only 2/3 of a knight. They also get killed to poo poo by knights though.

e: my subjective opinion is that even though guard is my favorite army, and I really like the baneblades, unless it's the fortress of arrogance, the knights are just way cooler.

I try not to let cool get in the way of having a good list, so I appreciate your opinion! Right now I'm making a mix of custodes and scions to play with my friends. They may not be super competitive, but I feel like the Emperor's bodyguards would probably be rolling out with a special forces unit vs. some hayseeds that were just drafted from a backwater agricultural world (funny though that may be).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

DotyManX posted:

You can get creative and do it all with one kit, but if you want to make it easy, I think the only extras you need are an extra mount part for the Thermal/RFBC and a second missile pod housing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DotyManX posted:

Yup, if you get all the gun and arm options and magnetize your carapace weapons as well you can mix and match however you please.

Booley posted:

Correct, if you magnetize both arms you can buy weapons on ebay or pick up third party options and do any sort of knight. My personal favorite are the fist/chainsword gallants.

Gallants are fun, but my personal fave is a Thermal Cannon/Avenger Cannon + Stormspear & Heavy Stubber Crusader. I once had a King Kong moment where my Crusader was surrounded by Raiders and Ravagers, tanked all the Dark Lance, Disintegrator, and Blaster fire via Rotating Ion Bulwark, popped a Machine Spirit Resurgent, then killed everyone by splitting his weapon fire and stepping on the last Raider in melee. Lucky dice? No doubt. But it was still bad rear end and that Crusader is my hero 'mech for all time.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Redemptionists!

That or sisters, yep. More models with man portable braziers please, the candles on these cawdor guys aren't enough for me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Technowolf posted:

Is it def 40k? Because Bright Wizards have these things too.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have a hard time believing they'd release "good guy" humans for AoS that aren't Sigmarines. I hope I'm wrong though

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted up some of the Traitor Guardsmen from Blackstone Fortress. Slightly Nurgle'ish in case I want to use them as Cultists/Guard for a Death Guard or Renegade Army (I wont).

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

richyp posted:

Painted up some of the Traitor Guardsmen from Blackstone Fortress. Slightly Nurgle'ish in case I want to use them as Cultists/Guard for a Death Guard or Renegade Army (I wont).

those are bad-rear end. Good stuff!

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

richyp posted:

drat those are sexy minis. I'm super tempted to grab 30 of them plus one of those rogue psychers to do up a traitor guard battalion, then do up some of my extra knights as renegades (in loyalist configurations to use the book rather than the minidex).

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Don't you gitz say zog off ta any o my boyz evah again got it!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Crossposting some Kill Team models:

Jcam posted:

Been making good progress getting a few Kill Teams done so I can rope my pals into playing.

Tau Kill Team (Pathfinders are on the way in the mail)

Necron Kill Team (minus a couple of missing Warriors I need to buy)

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
What kind of wargear do people usually give the sergeants of their bolter scouts?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I "fully" finished my Kill Team so I'm crossposting this:

Inspector_666 posted:

I wanted to stay out of this thread with pictures until these dudes were truly done and now they are so: My Death Guard Kill Team.

I can see roughly a hundred things I want to change or redo slightly but I'm really happy with how they came out overall.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

T___A posted:

What kind of wargear do people usually give the sergeants of their bolter scouts?

Sweet gently caress all because my scouts are cheap Troop tax so I can take more cool units. I just match them with the load out of the squad and camp objectives or screen good stuff from charges and deepstrike.

Speaking of using scouts I did have another game with my fists vs some more awesome bro Orks last night!

Open war cards battle, it ended up 3 objectives and power point kill totals

The orks get first turn and go up the guts into the teeth of what will be an street of blood and explosions

I roll really badly and can't take the final 2 wounds off the battle wagon, the Gallant and Captain assault it .......... it explodes doing 5 wounds to the knight, 6 to my captain who is now a charred corpse and almost nothing to the Orks inside!

The Warboss, Killer Kan and Mega Nobs get stuck in and while they hurt the Knight its Household rules of double wounds really shine through and it weathers the punishment of green savages and strikes back killing the warlord with the fist squish command point and stomping the rest! The Knight emerges with 1 wound and is then promptly surrounded by chopper boys and murdered like a dog.

Rest of the game is the 3 scout squads dying and doing nothing, the Armigers bullet hosing Ork squads like the walking war crimes they are and then the second of my captains being killed in melee by grots!

A draw at the end and laughs all round at explosions and my terrible rolls

Killer_Bees! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 5, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Pendent posted:

I spent 4 solid turns shooting my knight's battle cannon at a broadside without killing it. It's bad.

Sure, but that's just bad luck. The battle cannon alone should have killed two in 4 turns. The random shots increase the variance so you'll see that sort of thing more often but in a game with dice you can always roll poorly.

EDIT: I'm not saying that it's super good, it's just in the same position as stuff like Inceptors where they're not really good enough for the super competitive lists but you're not giving yourself a handicap by taking it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

RFBCs have a place, and that place is on a Krast Knight with the Headsman's Mark where suddenly the damage is D3+2 against other Knights and it csn easily knock one over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Not mine, but had to share.

“Live. Laugh. FLY.” From Ken Nelson on ‘Eavier Metal on FB.

“Chicken wire, cotton, hair spray, paint, and high intensity LEDs. Also some cussing.”