Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Here's the trailer for the new Umineko ep BTW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbvfJa4nMHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is good, mmmm, yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The more I think about it the more I'm not sure I see the point in more Umineko. What story could there possibly be left to tell?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Lion and Wright's Bogus Adventures

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It could have a bridge to the new series like that one Higurashi spinoff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It could have a bridge to the new series like that one Higurashi spinoff.
Even with that though the connections to Umineko were pretty thin.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Umineko definitely gets better during episode 2 - Good enough that I wish I could lock myself in a room and just finish it in one go. The relative age of Kanon and Shannon bothers me though, I always hated child characters in VNs. The setting and "meta narrative" isn't making much sense to me though. Is Battler supposed to be listening to whatever "Beatrice" is supposing the events to be? Is he in some sort of weird limbo? If that's the case why isn't he freaked about it? If he's essentially in reality transferring between the meta-narrative and the "narrative", how isn't that alone a proof of some "supernatural" shenanigans unless we assume he's drugged or something? Okay that necessarily doesn't mean Beatrice is necessarily a witch or manifesting supernatural phenomena but, eh. But then again he's way too... conscious to be drugged out of his mind too. Is Battler even alive in the conventional sense right now? :confused:

Was any of this explained in anything that I missed? I went through the tea room or w/e before starting on episode 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dessel posted:

Umineko definitely gets better during episode 2 - Good enough that I wish I could lock myself in a room and just finish it in one go. The relative age of Kanon and Shannon bothers me though, I always hated child characters in VNs. The setting and "meta narrative" isn't making much sense to me though. Is Battler supposed to be listening to whatever "Beatrice" is supposing the events to be? Is he in some sort of weird limbo? If that's the case why isn't he freaked about it? If he's essentially in reality transferring between the meta-narrative and the "narrative", how isn't that alone a proof of some "supernatural" shenanigans unless we assume he's drugged or something? Okay that necessarily doesn't mean Beatrice is necessarily a witch or manifesting supernatural phenomena but, eh. But then again he's way too... conscious to be drugged out of his mind too. Is Battler even alive in the conventional sense right now? :confused:

Was any of this explained in anything that I missed? I went through the tea room or w/e before starting on episode 2.

Oh god. Well, umm, uhh, poo poo... It's complicated. I'll say that the nature of the meta world is rather unclear for a good portion of the series. For now, just about the only thing you can assume is that the Battler on the island doesn't have the knowledge of the Battler in the meta world. You're less than a quarter of the way through the story. Answers will come eventually, though even more questions will arise first. Many, many more questions.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm on episode 6, and I feel like all pretense of the meta layers making any sense has disappeared.

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
I’m a bit ahead of Dessel (very early in Chapter 3), and I have pretty much the same questions he does. (Chapter 2 also completely nuked the theories I’d developed after finishing Chapter 1.)

Another question: Does the game go further into why Beatrice is such a vicious rear end in a top hat? There are some hints at the start of Chapter 3, but I need to see more. “I’m old and bored” isn’t a good enough reason for this level of sadism and that’s about all the game has said so far.

As for whether or not Beatrice exists, to me Chapter 2’s insane ending confirms that there’s got to be some kind of supernatural activity going on. I remember the scroll at the end of Chapter 1 said something about a story written by Maria being found in a bottle. Maybe that could be part of the solution, but a VN this highly regarded can’t just wind up being several drafts of a story written by a 9-year old, right?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

everything makes sense eventually

you have all the info you need to solve the mystery by the end of episode 4, and each further episode will give more and more hints.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are some questions you get answers to and others you eventually realize were in fact being addressed almost constantly throughout the entire series.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

hepcat posted:

I’m a bit ahead of Dessel (very early in Chapter 3), and I have pretty much the same questions he does. (Chapter 2 also completely nuked the theories I’d developed after finishing Chapter 1.)

Another question: Does the game go further into why Beatrice is such a vicious rear end in a top hat? There are some hints at the start of Chapter 3, but I need to see more. “I’m old and bored” isn’t a good enough reason for this level of sadism and that’s about all the game has said so far.

As for whether or not Beatrice exists, to me Chapter 2’s insane ending confirms that there’s got to be some kind of supernatural activity going on. I remember the scroll at the end of Chapter 1 said something about a story written by Maria being found in a bottle. Maybe that could be part of the solution, but a VN this highly regarded can’t just wind up being several drafts of a story written by a 9-year old, right?

I too made it to very early Chapter 3 before calling it a night today.

I know people hate the trend of antagonists having some sort of redemption arc or even having redeeming qualities and I know I'm a sucker for these arcs myself. That being said, Chapter 2's ending made me more okay with the thought of not having any sort of redemption arc and her getting what was coming to her, according to the depiction, image and knowledge we have of her at the end of chapter 2, because it seems too obvious that this might change into some sort of oh woe me tragedy. I'm not counting out the possibility that there is no "one" Beatrice and we're being deceived somehow, making irredeemable qualities of Beatrice a little more shaky. I mean the painting of the "younger?" looking Beatrice strikes me as something different than the classic one in a dress. It weirds me out because it doesn't seem the game/narrative is differentiating between the two even though they're clearly different. Apart from the fact that it seems the one in Kinzo's room has been depicted as being one of her in a more modern attire.

Though there is just a slight possibility it could be something as simple as a more updated sprite/image being used or mixed with the old one. The painting with Beatrice wearing a dress looks like it's an older image.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

dmboogie posted:

everything makes sense eventually

you have all the info you need to solve the mystery by the end of episode 4, and each further episode will give more and more hints.

I do find it funny that Episode 6 has basically introduced a character that goes "I'm going to have conversations that explain the plot". Which I am happy about, but it almost seems a bit demeaning by the writer to have to do it so blatantly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The portrait artwork should always be different, unless it was changed up in the PS3 releases. It always looked noticeably better than obviously Ryukishi07's original designs, and the terrible Stream-only sprites came way later.

As for Beato she has a smile that is worth protecting

Everyone comes around to it, eventually

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Nate RFB posted:

The portrait artwork should always be different, unless it was changed up in the PS3 releases. It always looked noticeably better than obviously Ryukishi07's original designs, and the terrible Stream-only sprites came way later.

As for Beato she has a smile that is worth protecting

Everyone comes around to it, eventually

Oh my god the mug on that mug is amazing

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
R07 original sprite lover brigade rise up! Not for Higurashi though.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

klapman posted:

R07 original sprite lover brigade rise up! Not for Higurashi though.

hell yeah

they're rough as hell but they're expressive enough that even the PS3 sprites (which I like) lose a bit of character

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Spoilers for IIRC Episode 5 The new sprite for Kinzo actually freaked me out hugely when I first saw it. The one where he's super crazy with the black eyes. REALLY spooky to suddenly have come in after 4 episodes of seeing his normal face. It was awesome.

Umineko is surprisingly re-readable. Episode 1 is arguably a lot better on a re-read because you don't have that feeling of "ugh god get to the good stuff already". In fact I might give it another go relatively soon.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
"Solving the mystery" of umineko was pretty much impossible for me till i saw almost the whole thing - since it has hours upon hours of high fantasy scenes, but then asks you to step back and seriously consider the idea that none of it is real - but how can it not be real, when you spend just as much time with the fantasy characters as the 'normal' ones? It leads to 'if i can't trust literally anything except for the red text, is literally all non-red text dialogue bullshit?' - which leads to not even bothering to try and figure anything else out because it seems like a totally unreliable narrator and can damage the experience a lot. It's better if you don't fall into that trap and trust that all parts of the story of each episode is trying to tell you something that matters, even on the most ridiculously fantastical scenes where it seems like they're spending hours off having anime battles in another dimension.

Watching through it again, like you said, is oddly enough even more interesting the second time around - you totally see the story in a completely different light. Beatrice's behavior becomes a lot more.. comprehensible - it's one of those things that reveals a whole lot of hidden depth you totally missed the first time around, and also makes me feel like if I had been smarter I could have seen a lot more of the clues everywhere.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 5, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget the exact wording but there's a part in I believe Umineko EP6 where Tohya Hachijo makes a meta (lol) remark making fun of people who only look at the red text and ignore the regular text, definitely made me chuckle at the time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
lol I forgot about that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Part of me wonders if introducing the Red Text into the story at all was a mistake, since it seems like it honestly introduced more confusion for people than help a lot of the time (Beyond the parts that should be confusing anyways).

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 5, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think it's possible to separate the two, the colored text is a major linchpin surrounding the metaphysical shenanigans the story gets into and the fact that said shenanigans are what they are is kind of the crux of the entire second half. Never introducing red text would've been a domino effect into something completely different from EP2 and beyond.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The red text is strong, and real, and my friend.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How else would we know that Battler is an idiot??

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The red text is more important for what it represents than what it actually says.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I really want to buckle down and power through Ep 4 so I can start getting some blasted answers, but I also know that whenever I next load it up my saves will be all fuckin' corrupted again and I'll need to start more or less at the beginning and fast forward for 20 minutes to get to where I was, and it's going to be worse from there if I can't do it in one big gnarly ultra-sitting. :( This save issue is really loving me up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I sort of forget your exact issue but I guess you could just never close it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I sort of forget your exact issue but I guess you could just never close it.

The problem with that is I wouldn't be able to get my ESO fix(/login bonus) since they're both through Steam. First world problems, to be sure, but frustrating.

I wonder if I could do Umineko in offline mode from another computer?

I'm secretly hoping that this is one of those problems where complaining about it online magically fixes it with zero other intervention.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

food court bailiff posted:

The problem with that is I wouldn't be able to get my ESO fix(/login bonus) since they're both through Steam. First world problems, to be sure, but frustrating.

Steam doesn't really care if you're running two games through it on the same PC. It does care if you try to run two games on two different PCs at the same time though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Holy cow my saves work, my secret strategy has paid off. I'm gonna debate So. Much. Magic. :w00t:

So I know the fighting game has some spoilers or something and also might be terrible, but is it spoilers like "mentions Answer Arc stuff" or spoilers like "Beato and Ange are characters"?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Steam doesn't really care if you're running two games through it on the same PC. It does care if you try to run two games on two different PCs at the same time though.

This is good to know, thanks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It has characters from all the answers arc episodes and at least one of the endings tells you who the culprit is.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It has characters from all the answers arc episodes and at least one of the endings tells you who the culprit is.

yeah

do not play the fighting game before beating umineko, do not even look at the fighting game before beating umineko

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I cannot imagine there is a singular 'culprit' to be spoiled on with where I'm at in the story. That seems impossible!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

these are more "the rules of the mystery" but ill spoil them just in case, but if you want to try and solve the game yourself:

There is a single mastermind. there may be accomplices, but there is a single character responsible for the murders happening, and they are the same person in every episode.

(I was told the same thing while I was reading through for the first time and I feel like it only enhanced my experience, esp. since I was sharing my theories the entire time)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Maybe it's less surprising and more like, the story has left "trying to figure out who the killer is" so far behind and I guess I didn't even think there'd be a singular answer to it, or that anyone would care.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Finished Umineko episode 3 and started on 4 last night.

Well, I'm thankful that any redemption arc didn't take place here as Beatrice's "redemption" this easily would have been a dissapointment. I can't say I expected there to be betrayal, more like Beatrice's change was way too sudden and uncharacteristic and I felt it was badly written. In that respect I'm thankful it was all a ploy. I did get bad vibes pretty instantly when the Golden Land part started though, something had to be wrong in such a cheerful scene. Episode 3 almost seemed to be setting up some sort of boy who cried wolf scenario for some future episode, though it remains to be seen if one will actually be set up. It would have to be pretty tragic and suffering filled for Beatrice to be at all a decent plot, I feel. It seems this episode seems to depict "witches" as full sociopaths without any capacity for empathy. Beatrice seems to still care what Battler thinks of her but I'm still not sure if that's just for the sake of her being to able to continue "her game" or not.

EVA Beatrice and her "bunny servants" specifically - not so much her alone (Chiester whatever) pissed me off more than any of Beatrice's sadistic antics. Mostly because I absolutely dislike "extremely powerful evil" beings being depicted as certain type of cutesy.

As for the events in episode 3, did "they take place" or were they fully just a ploy by Beatrice? Judging from the beginning of episode 4, it does seem like Eva did "win" the game. However was "EVA Beatrice" an actual thing in these events or a fabrication? More of a fabrication than rest of the fabrication because gently caress we can't judge if anything happening in these episodes is really happening or not. It seemed like the old Beatrice was real and in on the plot.

I liked the "battle" scene with Rudolf and Kyrie. I always thought Kyrie's design was somehow weirder than the rest, almost "inquisition-like". I do like her design though. I'm still not convinced she's not somehow a plant, even if she legitimately loves Rudolf (Though her house/family has now been mentioned in Episode 4 which makes that a little less likely as they just seem to be an old prestigious family - unless episode 4 reveals more). It seems Episode 3 was the first episode that had anything to say about Battler's mother which seems to be claiming she was essentially "a seducer" and I feel the fact Battler's mother has not been shown is a large red flag. As is Rosa's husband.

Domestic abuse is super lovely and the VN doesn't approach the matter well and Rosa acting the way she does is not excusable but it's still heartbreaking seeing her act "normally"/lovingly towards her daughter between her fits of abuse. Both scenes in the end of episode 2 and beginning of 4 are surprisingly decent in that respect. I hope to see some character progression there, even if it doesn't handle domestic abuse too well.

edit: I just remembered: Considering events in episode 3 is Kumasawa just a normal servant or in fact some older Beatrice in disguise? Also I interpreted the riddle's first part to mean Rosa discovering Beatrice and taking her to the ocean and the key residing near the ocean literally where Beatrice's body died, but the resolution in episode 3 seems to counter that?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 8, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Dessel posted:

even if it doesn't handle domestic abuse too well.

The author quit his job in Child Protective Services (well, the Japanese equivalent) to make VNs, and abuse is a major theme in both Umineko and Higurashi. I personally thought it was handled very well in both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I might be too careful to praise how it's handled because people could take that the wrong way if they've had to deal with it themselves