Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

cougar cub posted:

I think commercial real estate in downtown Calgary is still something like 25% vacant.

Businesses made plans to move into Quarry Park down in the SE, that is until it turns out it would be just as much just to stay downtown. Which is just as well because it's a huge pain to get down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Mods can we just embed ever rolling Stan Rogers into the background of this thread somehow, TIA.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Last I read there is more vacant office space in downtown Calgary than there is in total office space in downtown Vancouver. It’s really rough down there.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/pressprogress/status/1069683639569440768

quote:

During a telephone town hall last week, one caller asked Wilkinson if he’s going to be an “advocate of throwing (the referendum outcome) in the garbage” if “turnout” for the referendum doesn’t meet his satisfaction.

“That is a very important question,” Wilkinson replied.

“Regardless of the turnout it must be implemented,” Wilkinson told the caller. “And you and I say: ‘hold on a second. Is that legitimate or not?’”

39% turnout as of Monday morning. Looking at the riding-by-riding numbers, it does appear that the poorer areas of Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver had among the worst turnouts. This is to be expected since people rent and they are less likely to be registered to vote at their current address. Most people do not know this is going on unless they received a ballot. However, a lot of the highest turnout ridings are Green or NDP held, or had a strong Green showing.

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorau posted:

Last I read there is more vacant office space in downtown Calgary than there is in total office space in downtown Vancouver. It’s really rough down there.

Jokes on you Jeff Bezos. Enjoy paying overpriced rent in NYC and Virginia.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

what happened posted:

Jokes on you Jeff Bezos. Enjoy paying overpriced rent in NYC and Virginia.

lol if you think he's paying rent

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Concern trolling on behalf of schoolchildren is a new technique for the BC Libs, lol https://pressprogress.ca/bc-liberal-mla-lgbtq-anti-bullying-program-could-cause-mental-health-issues-for-school-children/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

cougar cub posted:

I think commercial real estate in downtown Calgary is still something like 25% vacant.

Don’t worry, the builders who control council are getting massive handouts to begin converting them to residential space. So you can live closer to the job you don’t have.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/status/1069958017070841856

:thunk:

I'm trying to think of a framework for taking bets on just how far into baldfaced corruption we can slide during this term.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Not that I needed more proof that the B.C. Libs were just Conservatives in disguise but there’s some more anyways.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Kibayasu posted:

Not that I needed more proof that the B.C. Libs were just Conservatives in disguise but there’s some more anyways.

There should never be any doubt, historically or policy-wise. What we call Conservative in B.C. is just some weird fringe rump.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

cougar cub posted:

That's an optimistic number too as it doesn't actually take into consideration whether leased space is actually occupied.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/MariekeWalsh/status/1069958017070841856

:thunk:

I'm trying to think of a framework for taking bets on just how far into baldfaced corruption we can slide during this term.

Honestly it feels like they dont even bother to hide it because they know nothing will be done about it now or after theyre out of office because the general public just doesnt know or care. :smith:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

I've got some bad news for you about the Federal Libs.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Haha oops.

https://twitter.com/calxandr/status/1070068766640353281

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

much like everything the UN does, it's both entirely toothless and gets the right super-mad

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yinlock posted:

much like everything the UN does, it's both entirely toothless and gets the right super-mad

yeah but you gotta be real stupid for chris alexander to turn around on you

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1070064720244326405
what a shock

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Remember how agenda 21 resulted in blue-helmeted UN city planners coming in and burning all our cars and forcing everyone to live in skyscrapers?

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
This just in from the Chudsphere:

A woman goes viral with her viscious takedown of Trudeau blatantly calling construction workers "oilfield low lives" and not bowing to the glory of the petro proletariat

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I was just at the d1 of AFN Special Chiefs Assembly in Ottawa, and whoa wee Justin Trudeau is a good public speaker!

AFN is a pretty interesting organization. That's what I learned today!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Testikles posted:

This just in from the Chudsphere:

A woman goes viral with her viscious takedown of Trudeau blatantly calling construction workers "oilfield low lives" and not bowing to the glory of the petro proletariat

Yeah, her post was shared on Twitter by Jason Kenney and Michelle Rempel to the people she hasn't blocked yet.

NatPo has a sort of fact check and also a transcript that starts well before the outrage clips that provides a bit more context.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ruction-workers

Trudeau isn't good at ad-libbing, I find, and the PMO has some spin on what he "really meant" but he wasn't wrong about the fact that bringing groups of young men into a rural area and lining their pockets with cash will have some impact on the immediate surroundings.

Trudeau should have called them "fighting-aged males." That'd shut 'em up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toalpaz posted:

I was just at the d1 of AFN Special Chiefs Assembly in Ottawa, and whoa wee Justin Trudeau is a good public speaker!

AFN is a pretty interesting organization. That's what I learned today!

Trudeau is a good public speaker when he's relaxed or when he's reading from a prepared speech. Obviously, anyone who gets caught off guard isn't going to speak as well, but Trudeau can really slip and tumble if he's surprised.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Trudeau hasn't been in politics long enough to lose his soul entirely so he occasionally lets slip what he really thinks(know your place, peons, all hail petrol) instead of just endlessly repeating the same message

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leofish posted:

Yeah, her post was shared on Twitter by Jason Kenney and Michelle Rempel to the people she hasn't blocked yet.

NatPo has a sort of fact check and also a transcript that starts well before the outrage clips that provides a bit more context.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ruction-workers

Trudeau isn't good at ad-libbing, I find, and the PMO has some spin on what he "really meant" but he wasn't wrong about the fact that bringing groups of young men into a rural area and lining their pockets with cash will have some impact on the immediate surroundings.

Trudeau should have called them "fighting-aged males." That'd shut 'em up.

Still kind of a hosed up thing to say, even though young men might be more likely to commit crimes (or otherwise negatively effect an area). That wide-casting stereotyping isn't exactly progressive. You wouldn't make that kind of distinction saying "watch out for gypsy's coming into your area" because that is hosed up.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
See if you can figure out the difference between "Gypsies" and construction workers.

I'll wait.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 5, 2018

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

CBC News posted:

My brother's a 'monster,' man says of Niagara policeman shot by fellow officer.

[…]

"Nathan accelerates from zero to maximum rage in one second. He has the emotional stability of sweating explosives," Parker told CBC News.

"Nathan has the power to crush anyone, and the switch in his brain that prevents violence is defective."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/pelham-police-shooting-1.4931804

:staredog:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

See if you can figure out the difference between "Gypsies" and construction workers.

I'll wait.

I dunno I'd think each group shouldnt be stereotyped by the government?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I get your whole "stereotypes are bad" thing, but there is a difference between a historically oppressed minority group and a profession, and that context is actually important.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I get your whole "broadly applied stereotypes are bad" thing, but there is a difference between a historically oppressed minority group and a profession, and that context is actually important.

Okay, how about if i said "Dentists" in my stupid example. Either way its a hosed up thing to say a specific group is a loving danger to communities.

Thats loving 1930s loving poo poo.

Like, how would you react if he said "watch your back in windsor, all those unemployeds are dangerous". Even if unemployed people are slightly more likely to be criminals, its hosed up to say watch out for that group. Same thing with this supposed danger from construction workers.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 5, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you said dentists I wouldn't have said anything since that would be entirely comparable. Generally speaking the construction worker and dentist comminuities are not at risk of discrimination and violence in the same way that an ethnic group like Roma are.

Maybe just make less stupid comparisons rather than getting bent out of shape, IDK.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Saskatchewan was grim as gently caress and made me realize how good we have it in BC. Province-wide power outage all day, they just killed transportation to remote towns, and I don't think they've put money into the Trans-Can since the 1990's. Road was more patches than pavement. Straight up took me back to the ex-USSR.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

If you said dentists I wouldn't have said anything since that would be entirely comparable. Generally speaking the construction worker and dentist comminuities are not at risk of discrimination and violence in the same way that an ethnic group like Roma are.

Maybe just make less stupid comparisons rather than getting bent out of shape, IDK.

Well it was stupid to say gypsys then. They just came to mind because in Europe you have politicians making the same bigoted statements about that group.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 5, 2018

what happened
Dec 2, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rime posted:

Saskatchewan was grim as gently caress and made me realize how good we have it in BC. Province-wide power outage all day, they just killed transportation to remote towns, and I don't think they've put money into the Trans-Can since the 1990's. Road was more patches than pavement. Straight up took me back to the ex-USSR.

I've been told that Saskatoon is actually a nice place.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Well it was stupid to say gypsys then. They just came to mind because in Europe you have politicians making the same bigoted statements about that group.

I get your meaning, and I'm definitely not saying Trudeau's choice of wording was good, my point was just that it was a bad comparison because of the major differences between a historically oppressed minority group, and construction workers. It's probably a good idea to avoid because it's the sort of thing that lends itself to bullshit like "blue lives matter" and other nonsense that trivializes the very real threat of discrimination and violence people in minority groups face.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Traffic law / justice for victims of motor vehicle collisions is a joke in Canada

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/mandel-uber-driver-in-crash-that-killed-passenger-gets-1000-fine-driving-ban

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

zapplez posted:

Okay, how about if i said "Dentists" in my stupid example.

They actively choose to spend time in people's mouths all day while causing pain and discomfort pretty much constantly.

Seems pretty ominous to me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Butcher posted:

They actively choose to spend time in people's mouths all day while causing pain and discomfort pretty much constantly.

Seems pretty ominous to me.

And let's not forget the Dalhousie sex assault thingy!

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Trudeau last year explaining why an MMP voting system was a mistake:

Globe and Mail posted:

Trudeau, travelling through the Arctic on a so-called "listening tour" of town hall meetings and photo-ops, has been confronted repeatedly by people who want to discuss why he's no longer committed to electoral reform.

"It is because I felt it was not in the best interests of our country and of our future that I turned my back on that promise," Trudeau said Friday when asked by a member of the audience about why he abandoned the plan.

"I know people will be disappointed, yep," he continued as a smattering of boos rose up from the crowd.

"But this was my choice to make, and I chose to make it with full consequence of the cost that is possibly going to come (from) it, but I will not compromise on what is in the best interests of Canada. That's what Canadians elected me for."

In Iqaluit on Thursday, he evoked the controversy surrounding Conservative leadership hopeful Kellie Leitch and her stated plan to screen recent immigrants for so-called "anti-Canadian values" as one possible danger.

During a recent sloppy journalistic blowjob that the National Post gave to Bernier we get this interesting little tidbit:

National Post posted:

Meanwhile, the PPC is expecting tacit support from the Liberals, the thought being that if Bernier succeeds even a little bit, that success will come at the expense of the Conservatives, potentially helping Liberal candidates to victory in some battleground ridings. Even two or three points in the polls could make a difference.

A Liberal official confirmed they planned to call byelections in January for three empty House of Commons seats — York-Simcoe in Ontario, Outremont in Quebec and Burnaby South in British Columbia — with voting to take place in February.

Had the government called those elections during the fall, as Scheer and other opposition leaders wanted them to, that would have “stifle(d) our growth,” Masse explained, because Elections Canada requires that two months elapse between a party filing its paperwork and being able to participate in an election. Now, when the writ drops in January, the PPC will be allowed to issue tax receipts to its donors. That’s good for the Liberals, said Masse. “We can compete with the Conservatives, which I guess is in their interest.”

Nice to see the Prime Minister sticking by his guns regardless of expediency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022