Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Well help me out here my dude/dudette. Seriously trying to wrap my head around it.

All things seem to be able to break down to existing or not existing at the end of the day.

You can then give them 1's and 0's, and build your way up from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

The Butcher posted:

Basic rear end, fundamental math seems like it should be more universal than language though.

On or off. Yes or no. Thing or not thing. 1 or 0, or whatever you want to use to represent it.

1+1=2 will always come out the same way in this universe no matter how you say the words, no?

But what are you describing with your basic rear end, fundamental math? Abstract math may be a universal language, but reducing it down doesn't yield the rules of the universe.

Reducing math down yields axioms like "there is a natural number we call 0" and "every natural number, a, has a successor, Sa". You then use those axioms to generate theorems like the Pythagorean theorem, a2 + b2 = c2 which is proven by a proof that uses basic logic with those axioms. You can also write a proof that 1+1=2, like here which I link instead of pasting because proofs for even simple things can be lengthy and look like the scribbling of madmen.

And that happens because to actually write a proof of anything in math you have to wade into the actual language of logic and math, instead of relying on the fact our brains are fantastic at intuitively understanding math such as us just knowing 1+1=2. And again, the language of logic isn't describing the rules of the universe, just the rules of math.

If you want to describe the rules of the universe you're going to take your math you generated with logic and start applying it to phenomenon and attributes of the universe you can see to try to describe them as accurately as you can based on the information about them you have. You're building models, and as you learn more you can refine those models. Because every part of science is a model that lets us both understand and make predictions about how a part of the universe works.

e: When you're building models to describe the rules of the universe is where you run into the fact we have no proof that our model is accurate everywhere in the universe.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 4, 2018

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Butcher posted:

Basic rear end, fundamental math seems like it should be more universal than language though.

On or off. Yes or no. Thing or not thing. 1 or 0, or whatever you want to use to represent it.

1+1=2 will always come out the same way in this universe no matter how you say the words, no?

This view sounds a lot like what the wikipedia page on the philosophy of mathematics calls 'mathematical realism' or 'mathematical platonism'. I suspect that these kinds of views are not very popular on this message board. Probably the average D&D poster is more inclined towards 'mathematical anti-realism' or 'mathematical formalism'.

I would say that a popular view on this forum is likely 'mathematical social constructivism', since on this forum everything and everyone can be reduced to being wholly a product of society. However, paradoxically, it is also often thought on this forum that researchers and scientists should act and do act above the whims of society and that they are kind of like the priests of the modern era.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
One possible solution to the Fermi equation is that FTL travel, warp drive or whatever is actually possible and feasible. Consequently, there is an insterstellar civilisation, and it has laws and regulations. The Galactic Emperor has decreed the Earth a stage 5 Control World; none may attempt landing there.

Note, contrary to what some have said upthread, the Fermi equation _relies_ on the conventional scientific fact that you can’t go faster than light. Consequently, all the millions of potential civilisations are independent, and each has their own laws and behaviours.which are uncorelated. So any possible behaviour will be exhibited somewhere. Take that away, and allow coordination between them, and it is possible to have an answer that is based on the characteristics of a single society, not the bounds of the possible.

Another is that the Gaia hypothesis is wrong, there are no long term climate stabilisers. The continued existence of liquid water on Earth is a one in a quadrillion chance maintained by a spectacularly unlikely sequence of comet impacts. The galaxy contains trillions of Venus and Mars clones, and one Earth.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LtStorm posted:

Well, ants are eusocial--they have a regimented society with divisions of labor. Which is one way they differ from your cells in that eusocial creatures divide labor between reproductive and non-reproductive roles whereas almost all of your cells reproduce in-place to make you grow and to replace themselves. Another way eusocial creatures differ from your cells is that they aren't really any less intelligent or less sentient as individuals than an equivalent member of a non-eusocial species (for example, a beetle), whereas your cells aren't sentient even though you are.

The point isn't that if 10 ants stand next to each other they create an ant spirit who can then magically take control of them. The point is that ant have many very very simple behaviors that when applied form farm more complex behaviors.

Like ants can build bridges, but no ant knows how to build a bridge. ants just have a few very simple mechanically applied reflexes about freezing in place if another ant touches them a certain way, and clinging and letting go. The individual ant knows nothing about bridges and isn't thinking about bridging, he is thinking "if someone touches me here I extend my legs and grab" but every ant has the same rules and together those rules form a complex engineering system that is not housed in any specific ant.

Like you can't personify the individual ants, where there is an ant foreman somewhere, but you also can't look at single ants and say they are thinking about bridges when they do some mechanical "if I touch water I do X" reflex. even though the sum total of the simple rules are a very complex system. The colony has skills and abilities that is more than the sum of the parts. Like the way your brain isn't just the additive knowledge of each cell and instead is a system where the interaction of cells creates things holistically.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Relevant short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryg077wBvsM

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

I don't think OOCC is arguing ants have a conscious hive mind, but rather that even though ants are individual organisms when they're grouped together they behave in ways that accomplish large, organized tasks.

By that logic though, humanity has a hive mind which...I'm not actually as opposed to arguing as I thought I would be.

Most social animals seem to have a limited hive mind from what I have read in my near-obsession with zoology and random animal facts. I don't think it is a BORG level hive-mind, but the signs are there.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Humans are biological von Neumann probes. However, as evidenced by us being about to destroy ourselves via climate change, we're either way down the replication generations and our programming has become faulty, or we're supposed to self-destruct once we've 'phoned home' by creating radar, radio and so on.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

silence_kit posted:

This view sounds a lot like what the wikipedia page on the philosophy of mathematics calls 'mathematical realism' or 'mathematical platonism'. I suspect that these kinds of views are not very popular on this message board. Probably the average D&D poster is more inclined towards 'mathematical anti-realism' or 'mathematical formalism'.

I would say that a popular view on this forum is likely 'mathematical social constructivism', since on this forum everything and everyone can be reduced to being wholly a product of society. However, paradoxically, it is also often thought on this forum that researchers and scientists should act and do act above the whims of society and that they are kind of like the priests of the modern era.

So you literally went on wikipedia to find something you can use to complain about "the average D&D poster" in the loving article on the philosophy of mathematics. You never change, do you silence_kit? :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Humans are biological von Neumann probes. However, as evidenced by us being about to destroy ourselves via climate change, we're either way down the replication generations and our programming has become faulty, or we're supposed to self-destruct once we've 'phoned home' by creating radar, radio and so on.

I'm going to preface this by saying that obviously climate change is the greatest threat facing humanity today, that it will already lead to hundreds of millions suffering and dying, and if unchecked will lead to the death of billions and the vast majority of all humans. I am in no way trying to deny or downplay the threat of anthropogenic climate change to our species.

But, I see "climate change = human extinction" frequently and I'm genuinely curious what the exact cause for that is considered to be. Toba Catastrophe Theory hypothesizes that at one point the global population was reduced to 10-30k, but that's not extinct. And I'm not saying we'll just bounce back, if we go that low, we're probably never getting past the early agrarian stage again, but does the human extinction theory presuppose a disease or a war precipitated by resource loss, or something else?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LtStorm posted:

But what are you describing with your basic rear end, fundamental math? Abstract math may be a universal language, but reducing it down doesn't yield the rules of the universe.

Reducing math down yields axioms like "there is a natural number we call 0" and "every natural number, a, has a successor, Sa". You then use those axioms to generate theorems like the Pythagorean theorem, a2 + b2 = c2 which is proven by a proof that uses basic logic with those axioms. You can also write a proof that 1+1=2, like here which I link instead of pasting because proofs for even simple things can be lengthy and look like the scribbling of madmen.

And that happens because to actually write a proof of anything in math you have to wade into the actual language of logic and math, instead of relying on the fact our brains are fantastic at intuitively understanding math such as us just knowing 1+1=2. And again, the language of logic isn't describing the rules of the universe, just the rules of math.

If you want to describe the rules of the universe you're going to take your math you generated with logic and start applying it to phenomenon and attributes of the universe you can see to try to describe them as accurately as you can based on the information about them you have. You're building models, and as you learn more you can refine those models. Because every part of science is a model that lets us both understand and make predictions about how a part of the universe works.

e: When you're building models to describe the rules of the universe is where you run into the fact we have no proof that our model is accurate everywhere in the universe.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence though. Thanks for the 1+1=2 proof though, that's the story I always tell when people assume that abstract math is really easy. Even proving trivial stuff is maddeningly complex, much less when you get into things like real analysis.

What Tegmark's book is getting at is even if the models and language around certain theorems change, they still at their core will describe a mathematical relationship. E=mc^2 is a theory that describes the conservation of mass and energy, but that it can be described as a mathematical equation (along with pretty much every fundamental theorem about the Universe's operation) is notable. It's very curious that, despite every other tool we've had for measurement and description eventually being out-classed or proven inaccurate, math/logic still always works.

That you can definitely prove that, given a certain set of axioms, 1+1 must equal 2 is a pretty curious thing. Maybe the axioms are different in different multiverse planes (although the basic mathematical axioms are really, really basic), but if the mathematical axioms don't hold I don't think there's any real way for us to describe or understand the multiverse.

For reference, when I say "basic mathematical axioms" I'm referring to the Zermelo-Fraenkel set. This is the most "basic" mathematical set that avoids annoying paradoxes and logical holes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zermelo%E2%80%93Fraenkel_set_theory

Here are the axioms of that set. Keep in mind that when I say "set" that is a very abstract thing. A set can be something like "addition" or "the real numbers". This is just me quoting wikipedia.

quote:

1. Two sets are equal (are the same set) if they have the same elements.
2. Every non-empty set x contains a member y such that x and y are disjoint sets.
3. Subsets are commonly constructed using set builder notation. For example, the even integers can be constructed as the subset of the integers Z satisfying the congruence modulo predicate x ≡ 0
4. If x and y are sets, then there exists a set which contains x and y as elements.
5. The union over the elements of a set exists. For example, the union over the elements of the set { 1 , 2 } , { 2 , 3 } is { 1 , 2 , 3 }
6. The axiom schema of replacement asserts that the image of a set under any definable function will also fall inside a set.
7. There exists a set X having infinitely many members.
8. By definition a set z is a subset of a set x if and only if every element of z is also an element of x
9. For any set X, there is a binary relation R which well-orders X. This means R is a linear order on X such that every nonempty subset of X has a member which is minimal under R.

For the set theorists/abstracts mathematicians out there, 9. is functionally equivalent to the axiom of choice.

If you use this as your "set" for mathematics you can prove everything that we currently understand in math. When Tegmark says that math is the multiverse, he's saying there's a way to boil this list of axioms down further and further so there is no language operating on it, it's all just pure logic.

There are still issues here, namely that there are some mathematical things that exist outside this set. The response I'd have to that is that there may be a set that is defined differently than this one that allows you to bring in those stragglers...which ties into the main problem I think people have with this hypothesis: it violates Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems.

Simply put, the Incompleteness Theorems show that it's impossible to find a set of axioms that are complete and consistent that describe all mathematics (and derivatively, the Universe as a whole). I'll let wikipedia explain what the theorems are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems#Second_incompleteness_theorem

quote:

1. No consistent system of axioms whose theorems can be listed by an effective procedure (i.e., an algorithm) is capable of proving all truths about the arithmetic of the natural numbers. For any such consistent formal system, there will always be statements about the natural numbers that are true, but that are unprovable within the system.

2. A system cannot determine its own consistency

This is why things like the halting problem exist. Simply put, the halting problem is a computer science problem where you cannot write a program that universally determines if a program will halt or run forever. It seems like this would be easy to determine, but if you think about loops and conditionals, just because the program hasn't halted doesn't mean it won't halt somewhere down the line. There's been a lot of discussion on this problem and it's tangential to what I'm arguing here so I'll stop there.

So for Tegmark's radical neo-platonic view of the Universe to work, you have to somehow fix the issues caused by Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems. And here is what he argues to get around it. And once again I'm quoting from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_universe_hypothesis

quote:

Tegmark's response in[10] (sec VI.A.1) is to offer a new hypothesis "that only Gödel-complete (fully decidable) mathematical structures have physical existence. This drastically shrinks the Level IV multiverse, essentially placing an upper limit on complexity, and may have the attractive side effect of explaining the relative simplicity of our universe." Tegmark goes on to note that although conventional theories in physics are Gödel-undecidable, the actual mathematical structure describing our world could still be Gödel-complete, and "could in principle contain observers capable of thinking about Gödel-incomplete mathematics, just as finite-state digital computers can prove certain theorems about Gödel-incomplete formal systems like Peano arithmetic." In[3] (sec. VII) he gives a more detailed response, proposing as an alternative to MUH the more restricted "Computable Universe Hypothesis" (CUH) which only includes mathematical structures that are simple enough that Gödel's theorem does not require them to contain any undecidable or uncomputable theorems. Tegmark admits that this approach faces "serious challenges", including (a) it excludes much of the mathematical landscape; (b) the measure on the space of allowed theories may itself be uncomputable; and (c) "virtually all historically successful theories of physics violate the CUH".

I can't really carry his argument any further than just quoting his response to the criticism because I don't have a strong enough background in this stuff to argue intelligently beyond quoting others so unfortunately I'll have to end it there. It does feel very clever though and I feel like he's being a bit too clever here with his solution.

tl;dr: there are issues caused by a radical neo-platonic look at the universe, mainly caused by Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems. There might be a solution to that problem where the universe is only made of fully decidable mathematical structures having physical existence. This may or may not be a sufficient rebuttal.

Disclaimer: I didn't really deeply study set theory during my math degree (I focused on statistics and number theory) so I may have misstated some things here. I also haven't done formal, abstract math in almost 10 years so I may have also made some mistakes in logic or describing things. Apologies. I also used wikipedia as a source because I don't have my formal logic books easily accessible and I wanted to try and make this argument without getting too far into formal logic to explain what I was going on about.

And if you got to the bottom of this post, thanks for reading! Hope it was interesting.

edit:

silence_kit posted:

To address this, I don't think you can rebut neo-platonism by saying "I don't think it's a very popular view itt". You don't even have proof it isn't very popular, much less an argument for why something unpopular is wrong.

zoux posted:

I'm going to preface this by saying that obviously climate change is the greatest threat facing humanity today, that it will already lead to hundreds of millions suffering and dying, and if unchecked will lead to the death of billions and the vast majority of all humans. I am in no way trying to deny or downplay the threat of anthropogenic climate change to our species.

But, I see "climate change = human extinction" frequently and I'm genuinely curious what the exact cause for that is considered to be. Toba Catastrophe Theory hypothesizes that at one point the global population was reduced to 10-30k, but that's not extinct. And I'm not saying we'll just bounce back, if we go that low, we're probably never getting past the early agrarian stage again, but does the human extinction theory presuppose a disease or a war precipitated by resource loss, or something else?

Even if it doesn't cause human extinction, catastrophic climate change may be a "frisbee on the roof" scenario. You need fossil fuels to bootstrap yourself into better forms of energy use (solar/hydro/nuclear/etc), however if society completely collapses due to climate change even if the Earth is able to right itself and return things to balance the fossil fuels that would be accessible by any surviving humans would be locked up in a way where you need fossil fuels to reach them. You also can't use alternate power sources because you lack the fossil fuels needed to jumpstart nuclear power plant construction, solar panel manufacture, etc. Thus, you can't have a 2nd industrial revolution because the fuel isn't there and as a result no one ends up founding the Human Galactic Empire because we're all stuck on a desert planet, assuming we also don't all die from the calamity.

So even if humans were to survive we might all be stuck here in pre-industrial age societies and technologies. And this might be a thing that happens to every society to ever spring into existence where they harness fossil fuels, use them all up, and before they can transition into space faring they unleash catastrophic climate change from fossil fuel use and permanently knock themselves back to a technological level where space travel is impossible.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 4, 2018

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Idealism has got other problems Axeil. This time with more math, doesn't make those problems go away. I'm not saying don't be an idealist, just that it carries some risks.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The point isn't that if 10 ants stand next to each other they create an ant spirit who can then magically take control of them. The point is that ant have many very very simple behaviors that when applied form farm more complex behaviors.

Like ants can build bridges, but no ant knows how to build a bridge. ants just have a few very simple mechanically applied reflexes about freezing in place if another ant touches them a certain way, and clinging and letting go. The individual ant knows nothing about bridges and isn't thinking about bridging, he is thinking "if someone touches me here I extend my legs and grab" but every ant has the same rules and together those rules form a complex engineering system that is not housed in any specific ant.
Your ant bridge scenario works fine until you get to the first ant.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

physeter posted:

Your ant bridge scenario works fine until you get to the first ant.

That is how real life ant bridges/towers/rafts work. Scientists have dumped liquid nitrogen on a bunch of ant structures and frozen them and put radioactive trackers in ants to watch how they move and the whole ruleset any individual ant is following is if you are touching water go into ant escape mode then:

"First rule: If you have an ant or ants on top of you, don’t move. Rule two: If you’re standing on top of ants, keep moving a short distance in any direction. Lastly: If you find a space next to ants that aren’t moving, enter it and link up."

and the way ants are this will inevitably lead to building a tower and climbing things if there are things to climb but making a boat and floating away if there is nothing climbable. And there is no special architect judging the merits of boat vs tower vs stay. If an ant walks in a puddle wrong they will go into ant panic mode too but without anyone else they will eventually come out. It looks planned and thought out, but it's simple rules, applied mechanically, coming up with multiple complex solutions and applying them with judgement of the environment.

This is easy to evolve for ants because every colony is genetic twins. If a behavior relies on everyone having the same ruleset it's simplified because everyone has the same genes always anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

friendbot2000 posted:

Most social animals seem to have a limited hive mind from what I have read in my near-obsession with zoology and random animal facts. I don't think it is a BORG level hive-mind, but the signs are there.

Uhhhhhhh

No.

Unless you define hivemind as basic observation and communication.

This was an overly popular galaxy brain idea for a while and there's now a bunch of research specifically disproving that you need a hive mind to do swarm behaviour and poo poo.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

All of the dipshits who are like "ants don't think, ignore every test of cognition and behavior, they can't" are desperately trying to pretend that ants aren't smarter than them. It's the HARD WORK/NATURAL ATHLETICISM thing applied on a species wide level.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

suck my woke dick posted:

This was an overly popular galaxy brain idea for a while and there's now a bunch of research specifically disproving that you need a hive mind to do swarm behaviour and poo poo.

A hive mind is the attributes that the group has that are not the properties that any particular part has.

Most systems have properties above and beyond being just an additive list of the properties the parts have. A watch can tell time but it's just gears, but you can't pull out individual gears and find the part of the gear that tracks minutes. The watch has a property (time keeping) that only exists by the particular configuration of the individual parts.

A hive mind is that swarm behavior can display complex behavior, more complex than any individual could have done that arises from simple rules. It's not a spooky ghost appearing and being the leader and mind controlling the members to execute a plan.

As I have mentioned: you are a hive mind, your cells are just cells, you can do things far beyond what a 100 billion individual brain cells can do if you added up their intelligence. Because you as a unit are the system that arises from the simple mechanical behaviors of cells, as well as being literally physically the individual cells.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A hive mind is the attributes that the group has that are not the properties that any particular part has.

Most systems have properties above and beyond being just an additive list of the properties the parts have. A watch can tell time but it's just gears, but you can't pull out individual gears and find the part of the gear that tracks minutes. The watch has a property (time keeping) that only exists by the particular configuration of the individual parts.

A hive mind is that swarm behavior can display complex behavior, more complex than any individual could have done that arises from simple rules. It's not a spooky ghost appearing and being the leader and mind controlling the members to execute a plan.

As I have mentioned: you are a hive mind, your cells are just cells, you can do things far beyond what a 100 billion individual brain cells can do if you added up their intelligence. Because you as a unit are the system that arises from the simple mechanical behaviors of cells, as well as being literally physically the individual cells.

That's... called emergent properties, not hivemind (which implies basically telepathy).

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Uhhhhhhh

No.

Unless you define hivemind as basic observation and communication.

Can you send me some of those studiesif you have them on hand? If I am wrong about something I like to correct my facts and having a diving rod is more reliable than blindly googling.

Anyone else notice how hosed up Googles algorithm has been lately?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011
You really don’t need fossil fuels for any purpose other than ‘being cheaper than things that are not fossil fuels’.

If you don’t have them, you shrug and devote an extra 0.5% of your economy to energy generation via some combination of wood burning, dam building, wind, solar, nuclear or whatever. The idea that it stops you doing anything is the kind of obvious nonsense idea that marks anyone who takes it seriously as innumerate.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

That's... called emergent properties, not hivemind (which implies basically telepathy).

Your mind is emergent properties too. So what?

But even if you can only define it as borg style, I'm not sure why it'd involve magic telepathy instead of like, regular old normal forms of communication., like the borg in the show had magical faster than light magic subspace radios but they wouldn't have functioned any different if they just had an iphone modem glued to their head.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I guess the same goes for world ending technology. Today the world could probably unite and create a disease that wipes us all out. In the year 2218 maybe Canada can do it alone. In 2518 maybe a small group of incels can do it.

Maybe that’s the solution - as tech advances it just gets too easy for a handful of idiots to kill everyone.

In the year 2017 a small group of Canadian incels already did it.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/07/how-canadian-researchers-reconstituted-extinct-poxvirus-100000-using-mail-order-dna

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
So who's going to put nuclear-rockets back on the table first? Russia? China? Space Force?

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

radmonger posted:

You really don’t need fossil fuels for any purpose other than ‘being cheaper than things that are not fossil fuels’.

If you don’t have them, you shrug and devote an extra 0.5% of your economy to energy generation via some combination of wood burning, dam building, wind, solar, nuclear or whatever. The idea that it stops you doing anything is the kind of obvious nonsense idea that marks anyone who takes it seriously as innumerate.
At a large enough scale the differences in degree you mention, become differences in kind.

There are paths to technological civilization that don't go through fossil fuel use, but they are narrower and longer and it's not clear we would make the journey. The drive toward higher and higher energy production, and the constant search for new uses to put that energy to, has got to be at least in part attributable to the essentially free energy that you literally dig out of the earth. It may not be obvious to a civilization with steam engines and lovely electric cars, that building a massive supply chain backed by nuclear-powered frigates and hydrogen-fueled airplanes or whatever, is worth it. And so they never do it.

Kinda changes the game if they have access to our histories and are trying to rebuild things of course.

So I wouldn't say that it can't happen, but you're painting it here as this "well obviously" sort of thing that's beneath you to even demonstrate. That's not true.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There is pretty much nothing not made up that could make humans go extinct. There is a lot of humans, they live everywhere. They can survive in basically any conditions. Unless you managed to turn the whole earth to lava or something people are going to keep existing.

Probably not a real mechanism for us to get "blasted back to the stone age" either, no matter how much everything sucks, where we all lose language or existing objects vanish, like there is no realistic situation we end up knapping flint again, instead of using all the axes we already made or digging some copper wire out of some abandoned buildings and cold hammering a new axe. Like even if we got mindwiped and didn't recover till every book is rotted away, there is just so much stuff that contains so much information, even if all that survived was a bag of US state quarters or something you could crib a bunch of ideas on a what a boat looks like and a bad map of the coastline.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is pretty much nothing not made up that could make humans go extinct. There is a lot of humans, they live everywhere. They can survive in basically any conditions. Unless you managed to turn the whole earth to lava or something people are going to keep existing.

Probably not a real mechanism for us to get "blasted back to the stone age" either, no matter how much everything sucks, where we all lose language or existing objects vanish, like there is no realistic situation we end up knapping flint again, instead of using all the axes we already made or digging some copper wire out of some abandoned buildings and cold hammering a new axe. Like even if we got mindwiped and didn't recover till every book is rotted away, there is just so much stuff that contains so much information, even if all that survived was a bag of US state quarters or something you could crib a bunch of ideas on a what a boat looks like and a bad map of the coastline.

Well. To counterpoint this, there are some kind of big things that might do it, assuming we never get our asses off the planet or climate change reverts us back to a primitive state. A Chicxulub-scale "geological epoch-ending" asteroid or cometary impact would probably do it. As would the slow, eventual transformation of our planet into a barren world via processes of solar evolution.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DrSunshine posted:

Well. To counterpoint this, there are some kind of big things that might do it, assuming we never get our asses off the planet or climate change reverts us back to a primitive state. A Chicxulub-scale "geological epoch-ending" asteroid or cometary impact would probably do it. As would the slow, eventual transformation of our planet into a barren world via processes of solar evolution.

I don't buy it. Just something really bad happening isn't extinction. If an ostrich can survive chicxulub then so can someone somewhere. There was survivors less than 300 meters from the hypocenter of the nuclear bombings. there is people under the water, in caves, on mountains, under mountains, in deserts and tundra, unless you melt the whole world people are gonna make it. And there isn't really any mechanism to revert people to "a primitive state", like even if everyone gets really really poor they aren't gonna just get mind wiped or push all the stuff and materials into the ocean and forget about it. Even if people lose everything they are still going to know things that cavemen had to figure out. Even if they are too busy to personally remember, there is just so much STUFF around to look at and get ideas off of.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Oldie but a goodie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I know, I know, the argument for the practical benefits of space research get thrown around a lot. I admit it, GPS is pretty kickin' rad, although I find velcro and Tang of all things rather vapid developments that certainly weren't worth the sheer amount of R&D dollars put into them.

But I must ask, what has space done for us lately? I'm serious, please tell me how space exploration developments in the past decade are going to improve me, my life, personally, going forward? Or the rest of society? Climate change monitoring is the only thing I can thing of, and that's space exploitation, not exploration. Cold hard truth is, we've hit the Law of Diminishing Returns when it comes to getting the bang for our bucks in space.

I'm just gonna say it: we need to defund space research and reallocate the funds toward public works and reparations. Yes, I know, military budget. And I agree, cut that too. But ALSO redirect space funding, because every dollar counts in averting a racially charged nuclear climate apocalypse. As Eisenhower so eloquently put it when he vetoed the Apollo project the first go round: "Every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." Those words echo with resounding, inescapable truth even today.

Yes, some scientific studies have proven societally important in the past. But personally, I think some sciences, including space research, aren't pulling their practical weight these days in the cause of creating a more equitable and prosperous society as much as they used to. And if a science isn't aiding in the progressive cause, they need to shut up, cut the panhandling and get on board with the folks producing real, tangible benefits for the common people. Because if you're not actively help progress society in a real, applied, tangible manner, you're an active detriment by siphoning off direly needed funds and personnel.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

axeil posted:

tl;dr: there are issues caused by a radical neo-platonic look at the universe, mainly caused by Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems. There might be a solution to that problem where the universe is only made of fully decidable mathematical structures having physical existence. This may or may not be a sufficient rebuttal.

Disclaimer: I didn't really deeply study set theory during my math degree (I focused on statistics and number theory) so I may have misstated some things here. I also haven't done formal, abstract math in almost 10 years so I may have also made some mistakes in logic or describing things. Apologies. I also used wikipedia as a source because I don't have my formal logic books easily accessible and I wanted to try and make this argument without getting too far into formal logic to explain what I was going on about.

And if you got to the bottom of this post, thanks for reading! Hope it was interesting.

It was interesting! My post about axioms and theorems was more or less the edge of my understanding of logic and abstract math, so it's fascinating to see your response. I took so many loving math classes while studying chemistry, but none were abstract math and practically speaking the only math I still know is the arcane math specifically related to chemistry. Which is mostly algebra, statistics, and calculus.

Go read Eisenhower's Chances for Peace speech again and pay better attention to what kind of rockets he's talking about. Also read about Eisenhower in general. Particularly how he, you know, was the guy that founded NASA.

Speaking of NASA, they can defend themselves fine--here's an article about how research in space and for space travel is currently benefiting us back here on the ground.

Also your views on science are myopic and nonsensical.

On a more interesting note, the discussions in this topic about the nature of intelligence reminded me of a book I started reading, but didn't finish because I packed it up when I moved earlier this year. The book is The Psychology of Science and the Origins of the Scientific Mind by Gregory J. Feist and I now feel an impetuous to read it again, so let's see if it gives me anything I can relate to aliens for this topic.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

Can you send me some of those studiesif you have them on hand? If I am wrong about something I like to correct my facts and having a diving rod is more reliable than blindly googling.
People have started simulating how to complex swarm behaviours emerge from simple rules for individuals pretty much since computers became affordable for university departments to buy. The dead simple but surprisingly functional early models are exemplified by Boids which have literally three rules: don't crash, don't stray from the group, match everyone else's heading. This is obviously extremely simplified, but is sufficient to produce swarm behaviour that looks realistic to the human observer and is used for introductory teaching and producing CGI of swarms for movies and bideo james.

More advanced research has been using 2D and 3D tracking to actually measure which behavioural inputs individuals respond to and then modelled swarms using those rules with increasing success, e.g. what guides honeybee swarms, how starlings form flocks above their roosting sites, and obviously fish swarms.

Lately, by getting brogrammers to make us some useful products :v:, we've become able to take into account e.g. individual variation/"personality", how vision or lack thereof mediates who can follow whose behaviour rather than assuming everyone is informed about everything like in early models, with implications for collective decisionmaking of the group and the relevant individual contributions. Modelling is now able to match actual observed behaviour to an increasing extent even in relatively smart species and complex environments and we can make informed statements about systems other than traditional swarms.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I know, I know, the argument for the practical benefits of space research get thrown around a lot. I admit it, GPS is pretty kickin' rad, although I find velcro and Tang of all things rather vapid developments that certainly weren't worth the sheer amount of R&D dollars put into them.

But I must ask, what has space done for us lately? I'm serious, please tell me how space exploration developments in the past decade are going to improve me, my life, personally, going forward? Or the rest of society? Climate change monitoring is the only thing I can thing of, and that's space exploitation, not exploration. Cold hard truth is, we've hit the Law of Diminishing Returns when it comes to getting the bang for our bucks in space.

I'm just gonna say it: we need to defund space research and reallocate the funds toward public works and reparations. Yes, I know, military budget. And I agree, cut that too. But ALSO redirect space funding, because every dollar counts in averting a racially charged nuclear climate apocalypse. As Eisenhower so eloquently put it when he vetoed the Apollo project the first go round: "Every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." Those words echo with resounding, inescapable truth even today.

Yes, some scientific studies have proven societally important in the past. But personally, I think some sciences, including space research, aren't pulling their practical weight these days in the cause of creating a more equitable and prosperous society as much as they used to. And if a science isn't aiding in the progressive cause, they need to shut up, cut the panhandling and get on board with the folks producing real, tangible benefits for the common people. Because if you're not actively help progress society in a real, applied, tangible manner, you're an active detriment by siphoning off direly needed funds and personnel.

This is extremely bad and wrong economically, scientifically and culturally. Please show yourself to the wall and/or guillotine.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

axeil posted:

To address this, I don't think you can rebut neo-platonism by saying "I don't think it's a very popular view itt". You don't even have proof it isn't very popular, much less an argument for why something unpopular is wrong.

My intent wasn't to rebut neo-platonism. My intent was just to explain to The Butcher that it is just a different philosophical view, and didn't appear to be very popular in the thread at the time, so he/she should predicate the responses to his or her posts on that notion.

I don't think I'm making up the unpopularity of mathematical platonism. When The Butcher proposed a view of mathematics which sounded a lot like mathematical platonism,

The Butcher posted:

The Butcher posted:

Wait, what?

I thought the whole point of math being this interesting in these kinds of topics is that it's NOT up for interpretation.

It seems to be the only thing that always works the same way no matter the reference frame, and can always be reduced to zeros and ones, right down to the rules of how the universe works.

Language is fucky, and can constrain or otherwise frame how things can be understood. Not sure if it's the right term, but math sorta works outside of language. Zero's and ones all the way down.

He/she received the following responses in this thread:

BrandorKP posted:

Many worlds is an interpretation of the wave function. The wave function is the math.

Furthermore math is language. It (math) is just symbols we came up with to talk about what we observe of reality. It's our created tool.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

LtStorm posted:

Go read Eisenhower's Chances for Peace speech again and pay better attention to what kind of rockets he's talking about. Also read about Eisenhower in general. Particularly how he, you know, was the guy that founded NASA.

Speaking of NASA, they can defend themselves fine--here's an article about how research in space and for space travel is currently benefiting us back here on the ground.

NASA is over-rated in the public eye, in my opinion. A lot of technology development gets credited to the existence of NASA when really they had little to do with the technology, and were just one of the many users of the technology at the time. People often say stuff like 'we wouldn't have computers and cell phones without NASA', and that is totally false. GPS is not even a NASA development. Credit should go to the Department of Defense for that one.

A lot of things on that list you linked, in my opinion, are not really that important to society or we don't need to be in outer space to be able to do them.

LtStorm posted:

Also your views on science are myopic and nonsensical.

Ouch, this is a little harsh. I don't totally agree with Kerning Chameleon (I think we should have some kind of NASA--and the amount of money spent on NASA currently is not a big deal), but I think that he/she has a good point. I think that if you are totally committed to the idea/philosophy that the government's #1 goal should be to spend all of its money to improve the lives of its citizens who are the worst-off, it is really really difficult to just reject his or her argument out of hand.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Dec 5, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

If all NASA ever achieved was pretty pictures and cool science with no obvious applications they‘d still be a worthwhile program to support at the current funding level.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

“If we defund NASA we can spend $18 billion on the poor” is about as realistic a policy position as “if republicans collectively see the glory of democratic socialism they’ll start solving America’s problems and we won’t need to campaign against their regressive bullshit anymore”.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

If all NASA ever achieved was pretty pictures and cool science with no obvious applications they‘d still be a worthwhile program to support at the current funding level.

Thank you for being honest. Usually people in defense of maybe arcane science research inflate the technological relevance of the research to justify it. But yes, you can mount a defense to Kerning Chameleon's attack based on the argument that knowledge does have innate abstract value, and even scientific research with zero concrete benefit to society is worth doing, and spending money on. I definitely agree with that.

edit:
You don't want to go overboard though. It probably wouldn't be wise for the US government to be spending a trillion dollars a year on, e.g. finding the Higgs Boson, but currently we are very far from that.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 5, 2018

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

So I wouldn't say that it can't happen, but you're painting it here as this "well obviously" sort of thing that's beneath you to even demonstrate. That's not true.

You are makng the same mistake that is rampant throughout this thread. It is certainly possible for _a_ society to not develop techologically. But what you need to show is that essentially _every_ society will do so.

Say one in a thousand societies can make the leap from charcoal burning to hydroelectricity or wind power, and they last 500 years before collapsing so thoroughly all knowledge of what.they did is lost. On a global scale and over geological time, that means there will be tens of thousands of such civilisations, and there willl be such a civilisation present perhaps 10 percent of the time.

Which means one factor in the Drake equation becomes 0.1. Which accounts for one of the 40 orders of magnitude that need to be allocated bewtween the different terms.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yes, some scientific studies have proven societally important in the past.

Name one. Why can't someone else just make the same claim you make now about whatever science you think is beneficial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

People have started simulating how to complex swarm behaviours emerge from simple rules for individuals pretty much since computers became affordable for university departments to buy. The dead simple but surprisingly functional early models are exemplified by Boids which have literally three rules: don't crash, don't stray from the group, match everyone else's heading. This is obviously extremely simplified, but is sufficient to produce swarm behaviour that looks realistic to the human observer and is used for introductory teaching and producing CGI of swarms for movies and bideo james.

More advanced research has been using 2D and 3D tracking to actually measure which behavioural inputs individuals respond to and then modelled swarms using those rules with increasing success, e.g. what guides honeybee swarms, how starlings form flocks above their roosting sites, and obviously fish swarms.

Lately, by getting brogrammers to make us some useful products :v:, we've become able to take into account e.g. individual variation/"personality", how vision or lack thereof mediates who can follow whose behaviour rather than assuming everyone is informed about everything like in early models, with implications for collective decisionmaking of the group and the relevant individual contributions. Modelling is now able to match actual observed behaviour to an increasing extent even in relatively smart species and complex environments and we can make informed statements about systems other than traditional swarms.

Thanks, bud! I will read up on this when I get the time. It has been a while since I dived into this topic so I am not nearly up to date as I would like to be.