Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Any opinions of Unearth? It's on sale on amazon right now, and it looks pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Mayveena posted:

CSI is now charging sales tax for at least some out of state purchases. WA for sure. Haven't tried them from CA yet.

There was a Supreme Court ruling this year (South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.) that basically allowed states to collect taxes from online retailers even if they don't have a physical presence in that state.

Online retailers like CSI are probably better off putting in the effort to change their systems to add local sales taxes because this is going to be the norm.

Here's some more information on the fallout from the ruling: https://taxfoundation.org/post-wayfair-options-for-states/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homullus posted:

Fox in the Forest seems to devolve into forcing your opponent to win four as quickly and as inefficiently (for them) as you can, and then trying to win as many as possible thereafter. Still pretty neat.

I don't see this as a degenerate issue when both players are trying to accomplish it and only one ever will. Having cards that let you take the lead or change the trump for that hand also balances the general issue with trick taking games where you can fall into an ever losing rut and always play second.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Funny enough I get charged no sales tax when I order from CSI and I live like thirty mins from them. It applies like normal if I select in store pickup though. :iiam:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Funny enough I get charged no sales tax when I order from CSI and I live like thirty mins from them. It applies like normal if I select in store pickup though. :iiam:

It depends on how your state defines sales tax. I know in MD in the 70's when I was living there, if you ate your fast food meal in the restaurant you were charged sales tax but if you took it out you weren't. Sales tax has a myriad of implementations or you could just move to Oregon where there is no sales tax.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Great Western Trail expansion:

Here's a link to the rules.

The expansion is great, much better than the base game (which would be in my personal top 20) because it gives you more options in KC. It also makes you lose 8 VP instead of 6 if you take the money at KC, which I'm not surprised about. The money was a no-brainer in the base game and now you might have second thoughts. You have to work the houses and your cards so they all go together and your goal may no longer be to just get to SF. It doesn't seem to add additional time, although it does add more bits so maybe some would call it fiddly.

We have played it three times now and wouldn't play GWT without it.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

FulsomFrank posted:

And following Al-Azad's great PAX write-up, learned Blue Lagoon. My friend and I went through the first half thinking, 'uhhh, is that it?' and then when the second half started the knives came out and the lights flicked on. If they had partnered with Disney and themed it as Moana related it would sell a million copies and would frustrate and destroy children and families all over the world. Not sure if the game excels at 2p but I definitely had a good time with it.

works well at 2p, but is less knives/chaos/hateful. You get into a lot more one-on-one races across the map and have to make that call of "ok is this battle hurting me more than it benefits me?" and when you finally give up and put your token somewhere else your opponent says "really? you had to start THAT fight?!" and you start all over again. it's great.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't see this as a degenerate issue when both players are trying to accomplish it and only one ever will. Having cards that let you take the lead or change the trump for that hand also balances the general issue with trick taking games where you can fall into an ever losing rut and always play second.

It's not degenerate. In practice, I think it's much easier to force somebody into four initially and play from there than it is to rush to seven and hold, and it makes each game feel more similar as a result. It is still pretty neat, for the reasons you elaborated.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PlaneGuy posted:

works well at 2p, but is less knives/chaos/hateful. You get into a lot more one-on-one races across the map and have to make that call of "ok is this battle hurting me more than it benefits me?" and when you finally give up and put your token somewhere else your opponent says "really? you had to start THAT fight?!" and you start all over again. it's great.

Yeah it's awesome when you see new players get that 'aha!' moment and realize the game is much more than what it appears on the surface.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

It would be great if more games (both Euros and wargames) had asymmetric but interdependent win conditions like COIN. Maybe the success of Root will get other Euro designers to give it a try.

Churchill also has an interesting idea, where most VPs wins unless you get too far ahead of the player in last place, in which case the second place player wins. Now you have to figure out which debates are better for you to concede than win. This only really works with hidden or partially hidden scoring, though.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

CaptainRightful posted:

It would be great if more games (both Euros and wargames) had asymmetric but interdependent win conditions like COIN. Maybe the success of Root will get other Euro designers to give it a try.

Churchill also has an interesting idea, where most VPs wins unless you get too far ahead of the player in last place, in which case the second place player wins. Now you have to figure out which debates are better for you to concede than win. This only really works with hidden or partially hidden scoring, though.

Churchill also has you win if you're far enough ahead that you have more points than both other nations. It's a neat balancing act.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CaptainRightful posted:

After the second wave of reactions Root got I'd be surprised if any Euro designers decide to jump on that particular train.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Terminally Bored posted:

Are there any legit good roll&move games?

Formula D, because you get to choose what gear (die) to use (roll), which makes it into a game about gauging risk vs reward, leading to some really fun situations when you have a lot of players.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

admanb posted:

After the second wave of reactions Root got I'd be surprised if any Euro designers decide to jump on that particular train.

Yeah SUSD did a lot to tank it’s rep for the general gaming public after hyping it up for a few months before their dramatic “end all be all review” kinda trashing it. It’s still got a hugeness audience and buzz going for the expansion though, so I think Leder will be just fine.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah SUSD did a lot to tank it’s rep for the general gaming public after hyping it up for a few months before their dramatic “end all be all review” kinda trashing it. It’s still got a hugeness audience and buzz going for the expansion though, so I think Leder will be just fine.

Agreed. I don't see it hurting Leder or Root itself, but it's hardly a Legacy-style bandwagon to jump on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Which is almost a shame. Amongst all the chaff, Pandemic Legacy and Gloomhaven are in my top five favorite board games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Based on my perception the only thing SUSD did to Root is scare away the people who would've cried about it anyway because that game sold out probably the first day. I would go so far as to say it was the most prolific game at the con with a really cute giant version on display (the roosts were knee-high wood cabins with a birds nest glued on :3). I don't recall any single game being played more or having a larger table presence in the free play area than Root.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bottom Liner posted:

i remember the goon hangover but that was pretty mild, on the scale of like gloomhaven criticism. did susd have any serious problems with it or was this one of their dumb ones

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Biggest disappoint was how little interest there seemed to be in Kennerspiel winner Quacks of Quedlinburg. There was a huge stack of copies, maybe 50 or so, half an hour before close Sunday and the demo table was basically free all week but hey maybe they sold through 450 copies and that was backstock. I demoed it and it's a really cute push-your-luck game where you draw tiles from a bag to make a potion but hitting a critical mass causes it to explode. I would definitely put it in that line of colorful medium-ish games like Ex Libris, Biblios, or an old favorite of mine Thebes. It'll never be a game I rush to plop on the table but it's solid in every regard and you can rope in normies with its theme and push-your-luck gameplay.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

StashAugustine posted:

i remember the goon hangover but that was pretty mild, on the scale of like gloomhaven criticism. did susd have any serious problems with it or was this one of their dumb ones

I think it had mostly to do with how the game really relies on its players to provide challenge and balance. Also, Quinns said he enjoyed it more as a learning experience. He liked playing all the different factions and learning how they work, but once he'd gotten an overall sense of everything he wasn't sure if he would want to keep playing it that much in the future. He said he hopes there will be another expansion that maybe fleshes out the core mechanics a bit to offset the ways the asymmetry can lead to swingy games.

Overall, not a scathing review, more of a "don't buy it blindly because of the hype because it's not necessarily a game everyone will enjoy despite the fantastic theme" review.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The SU&SD review had excellent points that were presented really well, and I love Root.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

admanb posted:

Bottom Liner posted:

Storytime?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

OgreNoah posted:

It’s so bad. You roll dice and use a bunch of generic dice manipulating powers to do nothing exciting.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

OgreNoah posted:

It's like Splendor. It's pretty, easy to learn, and plays fast. But if you already have quick game with a pasted on theme and moderately high luck, like Splendor, there is no point to getting Unearth. If you still need more short games, I'd recommend Mini Rails, Coloretto, or Between Two Cities .

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

admanb posted:

The SU&SD review had excellent points that were presented really well, and I love Root.

I agree, but they ended with “we don’t recommend it” which is all most people hear. But like I said, it’s still a massive game that has found a big audience so it did less damage than you seemed to imply initially. It wasn’t as universally loved as GH but still easily the biggest new game of the year (sharing the overall spot with Brass probably).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

Biggest disappoint was how little interest there seemed to be in Kennerspiel winner Quacks of Quedlinburg. There was a huge stack of copies, maybe 50 or so, half an hour before close Sunday and the demo table was basically free all week but hey maybe they sold through 450 copies and that was backstock. I demoed it and it's a really cute push-your-luck game where you draw tiles from a bag to make a potion but hitting a critical mass causes it to explode. I would definitely put it in that line of colorful medium-ish games like Ex Libris, Biblios, or an old favorite of mine Thebes. It'll never be a game I rush to plop on the table but it's solid in every regard and you can rope in normies with its theme and push-your-luck gameplay.

Mine is scheduled to get to me on December 21 from Amazon.de. I ordered it early November so I assume it's walking to the west coast :).

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Tekopo posted:

Oh My Goods! is random as hell and overall not that exciting, although some of the production chaining is quite interesting as well as the rather limited ways to get workers. Overall though the impact of the market offers is too much to make it enjoyable for me. Also probably one of the worst game names ever.

I don't know why, but I'm utterly charmed by this game despite its huge variance. But every time I play, at least one player is so screwed over by random draws that they never want to play it again.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I can't see how a review that says a game is really fun for a half dozen plays then loses its charm would dissuade many people from buying it. This is a high turnover hobby.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CaptainRightful posted:

I can't see how a review that says a game is really fun for a half dozen plays then loses its charm would dissuade many people from buying it. This is a high turnover hobby.

I expect a lot of people buy games imagining themselves playing it far more than they actually do.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

CaptainRightful posted:

It’s also an extremely delusional hobby, where people buy games thinking they want replayability when they won’t end up playing it even once.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

http://www.dicetowernews.com/metal-gear-solid-board-game-announced-by-idw-games/56102

It's being done by the guy who did Specter Ops?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Kiranamos posted:

It’s also an extremely delusional hobby, where people buy games thinking they want replayability when they won’t end up playing it even once.
But this time it will be different. This is the game that my friends will play and really love and then...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Redundant posted:

But this time it will be different. This is the game that my friends will play and really love and then...

The problem is that sometimes it really is different and you get on the treadmill all over again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kiranamos posted:

At least you can get these games cheap. Different life situations and all, but I’m glad my game group currently allows me to play a new game several times the week or two after buying it. I imagine the 7 times my friends and I played antiquity the week it came out is more than most people even played it the rest of this year, which is a shame.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

We got to try out Greed last night, three players. First impressions are good, seems like it will reward repeated plays.

Also played two games of Imhotep. "Ah, a better version of Otys."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

golden bubble posted:

It's like Splendor. It's pretty, easy to learn, and plays fast. But if you already have quick game with a pasted on theme and moderately high luck, like Splendor, there is no point to getting Unearth. If you still need more short games, I'd recommend Mini Rails, Coloretto, or Between Two Cities .

Century: Spice Road (Golems if you don't care about voltroning it onto the other century games)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I don't have a lot to say about it since we only played one round for learning purposes, but I got to mess around with The Estates on Sunday and I really enjoyed it. But I also won by a lot so it's hard to say how much that factored in - less the victory itself and more getting to play like I was in control the whole time, since I apparently was. Excited to try more.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I don't have a lot to say about it since we only played one round for learning purposes, but I got to mess around with The Estates on Sunday and I really enjoyed it. But I also won by a lot so it's hard to say how much that factored in - less the victory itself and more getting to play like I was in control the whole time, since I apparently was. Excited to try more.

If that game has a strength it's that if you're really involved it can make you feel like in the driver's seat. You can decide who's going to score which blocks early on, force people to develop where you want them to, and choose when the end the game if you plan for it. The problem is that if you're not engaged, the game's not going to deliver for you or surprise you. That's true of a lot of games (it's probably true to a degree for all games), but I think it's especially pronounced for The Estates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

StashAugustine posted:

the stuff about paying isis for artifacts was way funnier

There is a Wikipedia article for those that want a laugh. Afterwards, remember that this was not done by some private military company. It was done by a company that sells those foam balls kids used to make models of the solar system.