Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rad Valtar posted:

How do i see the rankings on BGG?

log in to my account and go to geekbuddies rankings lol. I did put them all into an account over the summer but things have changed a lot since and I haven't manually updated it yet.

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/sagoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Seconding thanks for a really cogent write-up, very appreciated.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I enjoy Mysterium but given the choice I'd pick Deception every single time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

werdnam posted:

Of the games in the Top 50 I've played (at least 40), I don't see a single one I'd rank below GWT. It's fine, but it's just not that good.

I'd concur with that. GWT isn't offensive in any way, it just didn't deserve the hype that it got.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

This is gonna be a weird comparison, but gwt and brass Birmingham scratch the same itch for me and Birmingham is amazing while gwt is good.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

silvergoose posted:

This is gonna be a weird comparison, but gwt and brass Birmingham scratch the same itch for me and Birmingham is amazing while gwt is good.

You're right, that's a weird comparison! I agree that Brass: Birmingham is great. Mayveen was right, too: It's the rare update to a classic that matches, if not slightly surpasses, the original.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2104612/how-many-cards-can-you-have-one-core-box

Really curious how an innocent question about storing a well regarded game turned into a thread that got cratered by a mod.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2104612/how-many-cards-can-you-have-one-core-box

Really curious how an innocent question about storing a well regarded game turned into a thread that got cratered by a mod.

Probably pointing out how hobby lobby is a right-wing company (to put it mildly)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is it? :ohdear:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

werdnam posted:

You're right, that's a weird comparison! I agree that Brass: Birmingham is great. Mayveen was right, too: It's the rare update to a classic that matches, if not slightly surpasses, the original.

So I think the way it works in my strange, 2 kids befuddled brain is thusly

They both feel like stop and start racing games constrained by a hand of cards. In GWT you're using your hand of cows to try to craft a good KC sale while getting stuff done in the middle right before other people can do them (place down a building in just the right spot, buy that engineer before someone else can, etc). In Birmingham, you're using your hand of cities and stuff to build that sweet rail and use that beer right before someone else can, snatch the easy pottery spot, etc.

But yeah really weird. I do like GWT, especially with players who know it so the game goes super snappy.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

al-azad posted:

To activate these spaces you play cards number 1-9 by replacing a card that's already there: if your card is higher than the one on the board, and a 1 wraps around to be higher than a 9 (someone with knowledge of Chinese Imperial etiquette please explain how fruit is a better gift than a gold statue),

The answer is corruption and plausible deniability. You give them fruit to show that it is an "exchange of gifts" and not big, fat golden bribe. Everyone knows what's really going on, but the fruit lets you save face.

Gugong Kickstarter posted:

The country was already famous for its very intricate bureaucracy, but this also led to a lot of corruption. However, the Longqing Emperor tried to eradicate corruption as much as he could, by simply having it officially prohibited, and punishable by death.

This measure seemed successful at first, but as we all know, it is not so simple to keep perfect control over one's “loyal” subjects. At the imperial court, the highest officials would pretend to uphold the ban on corruption, and instead of simply accepting money, a new custom saw the light of day: the exchange of gifts.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc., in which Hobby Lobby appealed all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to deny insurance coverage for Plan B and IUDs to female employees based on religious grounds (and won).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the stuff about paying isis for artifacts was way funnier

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

-I suddenly hate efficiency Euros, toss them in the garbage
-Please please please hire technical writers to go over your manuals
-Your game is ugly and impossible to read
Agreed x like a million

al-azad posted:

-I want more games to evaluate victory beyond just scoring points
But could you elaborate on this one?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

cenotaph posted:

Agreed x like a million

Not to speak for him but Antiquity has some of the best victory conditions I've seen and the best example I can think of. You choose your winning condition (build all houses, collect X resources, surrounded an opponent, etc), it gives you a special power throughout the game, and creates asymmetry and tension all in one great mechanic. It's the antithesis of point salad and so much more rewarding when you feel like you've got a grasp on the game than stumbling through turn after turn and getting a handful of points no matter what you do.

That's one of the things that bothers me about Lacerda games actually, it's point salad pushed to the extreme of opaque actions and layered systems but it doesn't feel nearly as rewarding or engaging to me, but crippling and limiting in what I can do.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 4, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
naaaaaaah kanban has antiquity-like CYOA victory conditions, they just vary from round to round, and also you can hijack your opponents' victory conditions.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

golden bubble posted:

The answer is corruption and plausible deniability. You give them fruit to show that it is an "exchange of gifts" and not big, fat golden bribe. Everyone knows what's really going on, but the fruit lets you save face.

Oddly though, later they mention the reason for the fruit -> gold trade is because officials would sometimes make "impulse trades" for exotic fruits.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Mayveena posted:

I really like the expansion which is finally available at CSI.

What do you like about it?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm surprised 1846 hasn't cracked the goon top 50, not enough rankings?

Or maybe enough rankings but the 18xx aficionados don't rate it as highly as less Euroy 18xxs ala 1830 which brings it down?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

I'm surprised 1846 hasn't cracked the goon top 50, not enough rankings?

Or maybe enough rankings but the 18xx aficionados don't rate it as highly as less Euroy 18xxs ala 1830 which brings it down?

It’s a decent beginner 46, but it’s really weird and has a bunch of odd rules compared to “normal xx”. I would certainly put 1889/CZ over it. There’s a core group of us who tend to hijack discord chat every now and then for train memes but overall I don’t think it’s more than maybe a dozen people who regularly play and post about 18xx.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I've played a ton of 1846 and really like it but it's the only 18xx I've played so I don't have anything to compare it to. I should be getting 1830 to the table soon though (maybe this week!). Then I've got 18CZ, 2038, and the 1844/1854 double box so I'll go from there.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I didn't post my bgg name when the data was being collected and I rate 46 a 7 anyway.

It's a fine economic snowball game but the thing that really bugs me is having to pay for all your track lays. The thinky turn to turn decision in an 18xx should be the tile lays and what stocks to buy, not if you have the right multiple of $20 to do a thing. Leave that poo poo to Power Grid.

cenotaph fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
My 5 rating of 46 probably drags it down

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Agreed x like a million

Among the traditional Euro style games I played they're toying around with victory conditions beyond just having the highest score at the end. Rosenberg's Spring Meadow has a scoring round but the results of your score awards you a pin, the first to two pins wins. You're essentially playing multiple hands so it doesn't feel like one player can ever achieve an insurmountable lead. Gugong has straightforward victory points but you can't win period if you don't reach the top of one track which is the (both literally and figuratively) central aspect of the game. A friend commented on Teotihuacan that there are various avenues to win beyond building the temple which greatly frustrated him because it's the centerpiece of the game but becomes less efficient the longer the game goes on.

And I kind of agree with him because a lot of these new Euros roll out with a strong premise but ultimately feel disjointed and meandering because the gameplay doesn't sell its premise. Like Terraforming Mars doesn't end until you do what's on the loving tin, and while TM will never be my favorite the digital version changed my perspective that the engine building aspect is misleading as you will lose every time to players who just slap as much poo poo down on mars as fast as possible. I will say the Colonies expansion actually makes it a good game because it's further incentive to aggressively toss cards and terraform the poo poo out of the red planet.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Impermanent posted:

naaaaaaah kanban has antiquity-like CYOA victory conditions, they just vary from round to round, and also you can hijack your opponents' victory conditions.

well drat, I guess I should get around to playing Kanban finally.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

al-azad posted:

Among the traditional Euro style games I played they're toying around with victory conditions beyond just having the highest score at the end. Rosenberg's Spring Meadow has a scoring round but the results of your score awards you a pin, the first to two pins wins. You're essentially playing multiple hands so it doesn't feel like one player can ever achieve an insurmountable lead. Gugong has straightforward victory points but you can't win period if you don't reach the top of one track which is the (both literally and figuratively) central aspect of the game. A friend commented on Teotihuacan that there are various avenues to win beyond building the temple which greatly frustrated him because it's the centerpiece of the game but becomes less efficient the longer the game goes on.

And I kind of agree with him because a lot of these new Euros roll out with a strong premise but ultimately feel disjointed and meandering because the gameplay doesn't sell its premise. Like Terraforming Mars doesn't end until you do what's on the loving tin, and while TM will never be my favorite the digital version changed my perspective that the engine building aspect is misleading as you will lose every time to players who just slap as much poo poo down on mars as fast as possible. I will say the Colonies expansion actually makes it a good game because it's further incentive to aggressively toss cards and terraform the poo poo out of the red planet.

Interesting stuff on the multiple hands thing going on. Seems like that would be a good way soften the issue with first as well, where one player gets a lightbulb moment earlier than the others and just runs away with the game. I was curious because one of the things that strikes me about most modern point salad euros is that they're just Rube Goldberg vp machines and navigating the vagaries of them became wholly uninteresting to me some years back.

Thinking about games I'm familiar with, wargames I play seem to have multiple victory conditions reasonably often. No Retreat: The Russian Front has a vp system or the Germans win if they take X important Russian cities, I just played a Talon scenario where one side wins if they land both of their transports on a planet, otherwise go to vp, and then there's Combat Commander which has some stuff going on.

quote:

A game of Combat Commander will gener-
ally end in one of four ways:
1) A player is forced to place one of his
eliminated units in the space of the
Casualty Track occupied by his Surrender
marker;
2) A player’s last remaining unit on the map
is eliminated;
3) A player’s last remaining unit on the map
voluntarily exits the map [7.2.1];
4) A Sudden Death Roll [6.2.2] is made that
is less than the the number in the space
currently occupied by the Time marker.

If you force your opponent to surrender you win regardless of the VP total, otherwise you got to VP, and there's an objective chit that may be in use during a scenario that says "immediately prior to each Sudden Death Roll [6.2.2], if any player controls all five Objectives that player automatically wins the game regardless of current VP totals" which is also fun.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kanban is Vital's least opaque game imo. That's not to say that it's easy or simplified, but the systems interlocked in a way that immediately made sense to me. I would say that VPs are probably the least intuitive part of the game though. That's not to say that the VP conditions don't work, but the rest of the game is so clean for something that heavy and the way VPs are awarded is a little messier.

I love how The Great Zimbabwe does victory points. Essentially the more powerful cards you take, the more victory points you need to win. It creates a really interesting tension in the auction/board state, not unlike Chicago Express.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Are there any legit good roll&move games?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Careers, maybe. Not much else.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

Imo Heimlich & Co. comes closest.

"Seven differently colored "spies" are placed on the board. On a player's turn, he rolls a dice, then moves any combination of characters forward that number of spaces. The newly-moved spies then score points based on their new location. However, the trick here is that each player's color isn't known until the end of the game, so players are encouraged to deduce which color belongs to whom." (There are also playerless pawns.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Backgammon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sometimes you even get to move 32 spaces at once!

(This is the right answer, btw)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Terminally Bored posted:

Thunder Road. Because you're moving the vehicles from Mad Max 2.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Deep Sea Adventures

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Oh My Goods! is random as hell and overall not that exciting, although some of the production chaining is quite interesting as well as the rather limited ways to get workers. Overall though the impact of the market offers is too much to make it enjoyable for me. Also probably one of the worst game names ever.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Fast Food Franchise

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Jamaica is a pretty good race game.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

Merchant of Venus, and the best game ever made - Titan.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Speaking of GWT, has anyone played the expansion and can say whether it's worth grabbing or not?

Forgot to mention that I've been playing a lot of NMBR9 and would easily recommend it to anyone looking for an adorable little game to play while getting dinner ready or when you just want something light. Multiplayer solitaire that reminds me of Karuba.

Fox and the Forest is another really cute one and I think I've been having a lot of fun with this game. I can imagine as you get better at it it turns less into pumping the brakes when you start sweating over winning too many tricks to really sussing out how many you can get away with winning and losing.

Reef breaks my brain and is a game that I am convinced every family could own and enjoy. It should be ubiquitous and as widely available as the Days of Wonder stuff/Catan you find everywhere.

And following Al-Azad's great PAX write-up, learned Blue Lagoon. My friend and I went through the first half thinking, 'uhhh, is that it?' and then when the second half started the knives came out and the lights flicked on. If they had partnered with Disney and themed it as Moana related it would sell a million copies and would frustrate and destroy children and families all over the world. Not sure if the game excels at 2p but I definitely had a good time with it.

And finally, got to try one of the latest Exit games, Dead Man on the Orient Express. The last one I played was the Forbidden Castle and our whole group despised it. DMotOE was great. Every puzzle felt fair and swung between easy and moderately difficult. We had to look up two answers and groaned each time at our own ineptitude. The game also looks gorgeous and continues to innovate. Look forward to trying the rest.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Fox in the Forest seems to devolve into forcing your opponent to win four as quickly and as inefficiently (for them) as you can, and then trying to win as many as possible thereafter. Still pretty neat.