Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Regular Nintendo posted:

What happened to you to lead you to such a wrong decision

Good taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Who cares shut the gently caress up

Tweets still not embedding for me on a iPad although it's... probably my fault cuz I'm still on iOS 10.3

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Pull to refresh feels good again, thanks!

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you can't genuinely think of why anyone would switch from an Apple device to something else, you're perpetuating a stereotype and are too far down the hole. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread but if there's any thread I'd expect those responses in, it's this one. You can enjoy your preferred products without being insufferable.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Can we add a toggle in settings to disable pull for next page?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Update to my multi-user crashing bug - the newest official Awful (3.45) seems to now let me successfully log into other accounts, but it does still crash about 3/4 of the time when clicking the logout button, or logging out, then entering in another account (it crashes from the login screen, and you have to enter in the info a second time to actually log in).

But unlike before, I don’t seem to have to uninstall to switch accounts, and I don’t seem to be getting the issue where I’d log into one account, go to another app, then come back and have it be on the original account instead.

E: just realized this issue seems to happen when Awful loses focus, ie from a crash.

Also thanks for the pull to refresh fix! So glad that’s working again!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seeing a lot of issues where trying to load a page results in an endless smiley spinner. Happens in good and bad connectivity. I can see the page eventually if I hit back then forward at the bottom of the screen.

Iphone xs, latest ios, latest prod app

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

didn’t pull for next page used to be a setting? I had it turned off because I love sloppy scrolling and I don’t love getting whisked away from the posts I was looking at.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

b_d posted:

didn’t pull for next page used to be a setting? I had it turned off because I love sloppy scrolling and I don’t love getting whisked away from the posts I was looking at.

It still is, you may just need to push the button again.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

b_d posted:

It’s in Awful 3.4.4

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Keith Atherton posted:

It’s in Awful 3.4.4

Not in 3.4.5

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Yeah, I'm pretty sleep deprived so I may just be repeatedly missing it but I can't find the option at all. It says Awful 3.45.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

b_d posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sleep deprived so I may just be repeatedly missing it but I can't find the option at all. It says Awful 3.45.

I looked for it ten times, you're not alone.

I hate the feature so I'm kind of mad on the internet, but then again it's an awesome dev so I know he'll bring it back.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TraderStav posted:

I looked for it ten times, you're not alone.

I hate the feature so I'm kind of mad on the internet, but then again it's an awesome dev so I know he'll bring it back.

Lol i added that toggle

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I thought the pull-for-next setting was a workaround until we could improve it and prevent accidentally triggering it, so I got rid of it once I thought we were there. I’m curious why people still want to turn it off.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Count my vote as a another sloppy scroller looking for the pull for next page disable setting that went missing.

pokeyman posted:

I thought the pull-for-next setting was a workaround until we could improve it and prevent accidentally triggering it, so I got rid of it once I thought we were there. I’m curious why people still want to turn it off.

Oh hi! Good timing. I love the app in general. As for why, I tend to read a lot of long threads and like to stop at the end of a page so the SA ‘last post read’ counter is accurate and I can pick up where I left off. With pull for next page, I find myself starting a new page accidentally, having to return to the previous page and then mark as read on the bottom post.

...Also I’m an aging internet 1.0 nerd who hates infinite scrolling in general. I’m happily capable to hit the next page button when I want more content, I don’t consider it an inconvenience.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

More or less the same here. It’s nice to have the toggle so I don’t advance forward by accident. That being said I’ll give without a go and see if the improvements make it so it’s not an issue.

I assume the spoiler revealing issues are a known thing. Does it have anything to do with screen size? It didn’t manifest until I jumped from an SE to an XS.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Toggles for everything is how you create a great android app.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Echoing my other sloppy scroller buddies. The end of the page serves as an anchor for me. Right now I keep missing the last post entirely as it kicks me over to the next page so even if I didn't care about marking the last post as read (since opening the next page now marks the last post of THAT page as read) I still have to go back and read the last post that I missed.

Just don't like the functionality. I'm web 1.0 also.

The Dave posted:

Toggles for everything is how you create a great android app.

Not like this toggle didn't exist in the last double dot version release...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just put a small delay on it before it triggers. :confused:

Why isn’t the thread list divided into pages, by the way? Scrolling down to load up another group of threads in the forum view looks confusing and it’s easy to lose your place in the list with threads jumping all over the place.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Not like this toggle didn't exist in the last double dot version release...

That doesn't invalidate my statement. I personally think the better approach is figuring out how to get it to work for everyone before lazily jumping to a toggle and a bloated app settings.

Though I will absolutely agree that it affects a wide type of users and has a super high rate of variability (posts on page, device) that you can't make a small change and push it without lots of testing. That's what the betas (should be) for though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The Dave posted:

That doesn't invalidate my statement. I personally think the better approach is figuring out how to get it to work for everyone before lazily jumping to a toggle and a bloated app settings.

Though I will absolutely agree that it affects a wide type of users and has a super high rate of variability (posts on page, device) that you can't make a small change and push it without lots of testing. That's what the betas (should be) for though.

Fair enough, but my point was the toggle likely existed because of the conditions you're talking about. More than one use case and not having the option makes it a poor experience for one half or the other (forcing pull to swipe or forcing no pull to swipe)

I don't think we're near Android app terribleness territory in the least bit.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just popping in the thread to say thanks for the update. On my iPad Air with 10.3.3 the embedded tweets show up again.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Funny to think that scroll to next page would be so controversial. Personally like the new update as I feel it's just right, but I also can see why other people dislike the behavior (iPhone 8 default size).

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Scroll for next page is great when it works, like it does for me. It must be pretty frustrating when it doesn't though.

There will be a design solution. Maybe having that bottom segment with the pull arrow be a different colour or something to help someone recognise its the end of a page earlier? Like the bottom nav bar color could extend up once you reach the bottom? Also it wouldn't work on all iDevices but a haptic vibration on the arrow turning would help.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Oh hi! Good timing. I love the app in general. As for why, I tend to read a lot of long threads and like to stop at the end of a page so the SA ‘last post read’ counter is accurate and I can pick up where I left off. With pull for next page, I find myself starting a new page accidentally, having to return to the previous page and then mark as read on the bottom post.

I feel like this would be less of an issue if the forum software just had "mark this post as unread" semantics for that button.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone else getting insta-scrolled to the top of the thread's current pagewhen all the external stuff finishes loading? (Tweets/images/etc)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yeah, that’s been a thing for a bit. Best I can tell the app can’t account for the change on the y axis that embeds take up. It’s been really good about correcting itself afterwards these days.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's gotten significantly worse for me

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’m getting used to the pull for next page thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Slothful Bong posted:

Have a super annoying bug - seems to be impossible to log out and then log in with a different account - first, it will crash upon initial login attempt with second account. Then, sometimes I’m able to log in, other times, it will seemingly work, but it’s actually logged into the initial account, so posts end up on the wrong account if I don’t immediately notice.

When that happens, I can’t click on the settings inside awful, it crashes 100% of the time. So I have to uninstall and reinstall to switch accounts now :-(

E: iOS 12.1 on iPhone 7+

Agreed that's super annoying. I'll +1 it on the list. It's one of those bugs that I think will be a pain to fix, and it doesn't affect me personally very often, so there it sits. That's not a good reason to avoid it, as the underlying issue (doing Core Data poo poo after deleting the persistent store) is definitely worth fixing, but that's where it's at :)

IllegallySober posted:

I can’t get a recording of this when it’s happening and don’t seem to have a consistent fix (beyond rebooting the phone which fixes it ~80% of the time) but I strongly suspect it has something to do with returning to the app after a while when the app has kicked it from active memory. That re-load seems to be triggering the inability to click spoilers or the user menu for me.

Edit: Getting the app to re-load the same page seems to be toggling my ability to read spoilers/tap the user menu in both directions.

This is all good stuff, thanks! Speaking of the spoiler/author tap/etc. issues, I put some error logging in the latest update to see if I can figure out what the heck is going on. Fingers crossed.

Rahonavis posted:

Thank you! The weird loading problem can be seen in Johnnie Walker’s post on page 413 in the comic strip forum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845300&perpage=40&pagenumber=413

Thanks! Added this to the list.

Rye Bread posted:

If it helps at all with the blank page upon coming back to the app, it seems to only happen when a network change occurs. Wifi to LTE or reverse.

It might! I think the latest update (3.45) might fix one way for the blank page to happen, so let me know if you still see it once you've updated to that version.

Fun Times! posted:

If you can't genuinely think of why anyone would switch from an Apple device to something else, you're perpetuating a stereotype and are too far down the hole. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread but if there's any thread I'd expect those responses in, it's this one. You can enjoy your preferred products without being insufferable.

Pretty sure the Awful.apk devs hang out in this thread, and I hang out in their threads, so :justpost:

TraderStav posted:

Can we add a toggle in settings to disable pull for next page?

I don't mind adding it back to the next version, but I really want to make it as good as it can be. I realize some people just never want to use it, and that's ok. If there's anyone in between, who wants to use it but turns the setting off because they unintentionally trigger it, I'm definitely willing to tweak it.

Slothful Bong posted:

Update to my multi-user crashing bug - the newest official Awful (3.45) seems to now let me successfully log into other accounts, but it does still crash about 3/4 of the time when clicking the logout button, or logging out, then entering in another account (it crashes from the login screen, and you have to enter in the info a second time to actually log in).

But unlike before, I don’t seem to have to uninstall to switch accounts, and I don’t seem to be getting the issue where I’d log into one account, go to another app, then come back and have it be on the original account instead.

E: just realized this issue seems to happen when Awful loses focus, ie from a crash.

Thanks! If I'm right about the underlying issue, it can manifest itself in all kinds of goofy ways, so I'm actually not that surprised that it acts so weird.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Seeing a lot of issues where trying to load a page results in an endless smiley spinner. Happens in good and bad connectivity. I can see the page eventually if I hit back then forward at the bottom of the screen.

Iphone xs, latest ios, latest prod app

I wonder if this is because I made the spinner stay up until the document finishes loading, so if there's a bunch of images or iframes or whatever that can unnecessarily delay hiding the spinner. I'll add it to the list, that sounds incredibly frustrating.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Count my vote as a another sloppy scroller looking for the pull for next page disable setting that went missing.

...Also I’m an aging internet 1.0 nerd who hates infinite scrolling in general. I’m happily capable to hit the next page button when I want more content, I don’t consider it an inconvenience.

I do the same with long threads, leave it at a page break for later. If you're willing, I'm curious what your typical scrolling habits are that result in accidentally triggering the pull-for-next. It's hard for me to ignore the muscle memory I've built up having used the app for so long so I'm sure I have some blind spots here. So if you feel like describing how you tend to scroll, or make a lil screen recording (though I realize it's hard to just "act normal" at that point), I'd definitely read/watch it.

Warbird posted:

More or less the same here. It’s nice to have the toggle so I don’t advance forward by accident. That being said I’ll give without a go and see if the improvements make it so it’s not an issue.

Interested to hear how it goes!

quote:

I assume the spoiler revealing issues are a known thing. Does it have anything to do with screen size? It didn’t manifest until I jumped from an SE to an XS.

It is known, and I don't think it has anything to do with screen size. (But if I really knew what the hell was going on I would've fixed it by now.)

Stare-Out posted:

Why isn’t the thread list divided into pages, by the way? Scrolling down to load up another group of threads in the forum view looks confusing and it’s easy to lose your place in the list with threads jumping all over the place.

It sort of us but in a not-useful way. I'm with you, it's confusing. I'll +1 it on the list!

TraderStav posted:

Fair enough, but my point was the toggle likely existed because of the conditions you're talking about. More than one use case and not having the option makes it a poor experience for one half or the other (forcing pull to swipe or forcing no pull to swipe)

I think the toggle came about because Regular Nintendo (entirely reasonably!) got tired of waiting for me to do something about it :)

spanky the dolphin posted:

Scroll for next page is great when it works, like it does for me. It must be pretty frustrating when it doesn't though.

There will be a design solution. Maybe having that bottom segment with the pull arrow be a different colour or something to help someone recognise its the end of a page earlier? Like the bottom nav bar color could extend up once you reach the bottom? Also it wouldn't work on all iDevices but a haptic vibration on the arrow turning would help.

I'm not sure if the issue is people not realizing pull-for-next has been triggered, or whether something about their scrolling habits are sufficiently different from mine that I'm missing something obvious about the implementation.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Anyone else getting insta-scrolled to the top of the thread's current pagewhen all the external stuff finishes loading? (Tweets/images/etc)

We do attempt to take you to the "right place" in the thread a couple of times (on page load, when embeds/images are done loading), and (I think? It's been awhile) we try not to do that if you've started reading the thread. I wonder if it's related to your having the smilie spinner stay open for a super long time? Not yet sure how though…

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

pokeyman posted:

I do the same with long threads, leave it at a page break for later. If you're willing, I'm curious what your typical scrolling habits are that result in accidentally triggering the pull-for-next. It's hard for me to ignore the muscle memory I've built up having used the app for so long so I'm sure I have some blind spots here. So if you feel like describing how you tend to scroll, or make a lil screen recording (though I realize it's hard to just "act normal" at that point), I'd definitely read/watch it.

I'm not sure if the issue is people not realizing pull-for-next has been triggered, or whether something about their scrolling habits are sufficiently different from mine that I'm missing something obvious about the implementation.

I’m not that guy, but I usually just scroll to the bottom of the page without noticing or looking for the scrollbar, so without the toggle I suddenly find myself on another page when trying to move the next post towards the center of the screen. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I read a post at a time, rather than a screen at a time.

f.e.: Also thanks for fixing whatever was making the empty “end of thread” space clickable. Now it’s easier to swipe back to the bookmarks page from a thread with only a couple new posts.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 6, 2018

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the forever spinner thing, my gut says that it's just missing a callback somehow

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Revealing spoiler text is broken.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I scroll by flicking the page up and 'catching' it with my finger in tiny increments. If I wasn't using the momentum in that way and dragging the page from post to post I bet I'd be triggering pull for next page by accident sometimes.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Love the new pull to refresh/load next page update requiring less distance. My thumb thanks you

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Spoilers broke again for me. As other people pointed out it also breaks pulling up the rap sheet. It doesn't stop me from voting in a thread. Scroll to end does behave weirdly? Clearing cache doesn't fix either. I have a recording of the scroll to end behavior if you'd like.

:shrug:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

GenericGirlName posted:

Spoilers broke again for me. As other people pointed out it also breaks pulling up the rap sheet. It doesn't stop me from voting in a thread. Scroll to end does behave weirdly? Clearing cache doesn't fix either. I have a recording of the scroll to end behavior if you'd like.

:shrug:

Oh hey there's a vote button, neat!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
They grey bar is back in the latest update. XS Max, I changed the app icon prior to updating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Thanks for bringing back the pull for next toggle