Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

joat mon posted:

Why limit yourself to Christianity?
https://000024.org/religions_tree/religions_tree_8.html (head over to the right side)
I'm sure there's plenty of bickering to be had in the details, but a decent general view.

If you want to take a (U.S) church and work its distribution backwards, The Handbook of Denominations is a really good source.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

the only dude itt who has read all of origen took a sacred vow to Mary to get off social media so we can't get the verdict on whether he thought we will become empyrean doughnut holes when we die

those are two mighty deeds, and I hope he enjoys the fruits of them. :shobon:

(but I also think I wouldn’t mind being an empyrean doughnut hole)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CountFosco posted:

I just popped in to see how things were developing, I'm heading back out. I still hold views that, were I to express them, I would be seen by this community as evil. I think it's pretty remarkable that what was a thread ostensibly about Christianity is now "religionthread." "Religionthread" is exactly the sort of blandification of society that is the logical end-game of globalization and neoliberalism. Not wanting to upset the peace and order of the thread, I'll now show myself the door.

I don't recall thinking your views are evil. Parochial, maybe, and not warm with Christ-light. But I pray that you get there.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

CountFosco posted:

I just popped in to see how things were developing, I'm heading back out. I still hold views that, were I to express them, I would be seen by this community as evil. I think it's pretty remarkable that what was a thread ostensibly about Christianity is now "religionthread." "Religionthread" is exactly the sort of blandification of society that is the logical end-game of globalization and neoliberalism. Not wanting to upset the peace and order of the thread, I'll now show myself the door.

HEY GUNS posted:

tolerance, prosperity, many races living together, and the minimization of war: horrifying.

we orthodox christians have benefited many times from people who chose to be OK with minorities in their midst, but could have chosen not to. now i'm choosing to give that same gift to others. (i'd also be out of a job without easy rapid travel, and forcibly seperated from my partner without mixing of the ethnicities.) i'm not blandly becoming like members of other religions: i'm hanging out with them and trying to make friends, you doofus

i'm sorry to see that you haven't repented of your heresy and you are always welcome back whenever you do. i'll miss you.

This is not fair to yourselves or the rest of the thread, and I say this as one who holds views contrary to most of this community. We all lose when an honest contributor goes silent.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have no knowledge of what the count's opinions are and it's sadly amusing that criticizing globalization and neoliberalism doesn't narrow it down. But if they are disagreeing with this forum, I can guess that they might not be taking thee Leftist critique of those things.

As somebody with ostensibly right wing views on most things, I think this thread is the most accepting place on this entire forum. This forum being pretty crazy and hard Left, right down to cheering when Republicans get attacked and nearly killed. (granted, in 2017, I felt that same savage satisfaction at what happened to him, too. I'm not proud of it)

This thread and its predecessors have never been judgmental any time I've wandered in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the thing i had a real problem with is when senju attacked me personally, because gently caress that

countfosco left on his own (and called me a communist lol) when i said some of his opinions were racist and slatestarcodex/the lesswrong people were racists.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no knowledge of what the count's opinions are and it's sadly amusing that criticizing globalization and neoliberalism doesn't narrow it down. But if they are disagreeing with this forum, I can guess that they might not be taking thee Leftist critique of those things.

As somebody with ostensibly right wing views on most things, I think this thread is the most accepting place on this entire forum. This forum being pretty crazy and hard Left, right down to cheering when Republicans get attacked and nearly killed. (granted, in 2017, I felt that same savage satisfaction at what happened to him, too. I'm not proud of it)

This thread and its predecessors have never been judgmental any time I've wandered in.

I don't think this thread is particularly leftist. There are real radical leftist strains of Christianity and I don't think we really have much of that represented here.

As a whole we probably lean fairly conservative on liturgical issues and on other stuff it's all over the place. We do have a lot of active LGBTQ posters, that's probably the easiest "political" subject to piss people off about. As long as you're respectful and aware of your audience you're probably not going to rile up the LGBTQ crew just by having different opinions and beliefs, though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i changed the name of this thread so someone in the classics thread who was knowledgeable about syncretic religion could come here and post and they STILL have not done so

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Worthleast posted:

This is not fair to yourselves or the rest of the thread, and I say this as one who holds views contrary to most of this community. We all lose when an honest contributor goes silent.

We do lose when an honest contributor goes silent, but we also don't need to provide a forum for racism or for "cultures need to maintain their diversity" and "it's too easy to travel and as a result people don't stay with the communities they're born into". I appreciate that disagreeing with many of the thread regulars hasn't gotten me kicked out, or yelled at, or shamed - nobody got mad at me for, "Well, if you don't like teaching a, b, or c, maybe you could opt to neither defend them nor disagree with them publicly," for example. But I think if someone came in saying "Marcion was right, the Jews' tribal deity isn't our god and the Old Testament is bad" we wouldn't respond with, "Your honest contribution to discussion is very interesting." Would we?

(For that matter, CountFosco, you could consider neither defending nor publicly disagreeing with your church's views on tolerance and many people living together, and posting in response to other things in the thread, you know.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i think if someone itt legitimately did not like huge silk robes and ludicrous hats i would have to have a lie-down

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

those are two mighty deeds, and I hope he enjoys the fruits of them. :shobon:
consecrating yourself to mary and then getting off the internet is probably among the best deeds you can do in tyool 2018

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am distraught that Religionthread: the only dude itt who has read all of origen took a sacred vow to Mary to get off social media so we can't get the verdict on whether he thought we will become empyrean doughnut holes when we die is too long a title, because it is pure

E:

HEY GUNS posted:

i think if someone itt legitimately did not like huge silk robes and ludicrous hats i would have to have a lie-down

Ludicrous hats are a thread uniter, but I'm not sure about the silk robes. How are you all about heavy furs?

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 4, 2018

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Last night I ate something about as close to empyrean doughnut holes as I expect to find in this life — sufganiyah at my first ever Hanukkah dinner, surrounded by joyful strangers and the sudden and inexplicable appearance of a brass band covered in strings of lights and playing Hava Nagila.

If that shared joy is how people tend to experience communion within their religious communities on holidays, I really understand the appeal now. It was the exact opposite of the alienating experiences I’ve generally had. There were little kids squirming around everywhere and all sorts of different folks enjoying an intensely loving one time, one meeting phenomenon I’ve only been part of when sitting for tea. I feel blessed that I was welcomed to partake.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

HEY GUNS posted:

I don't want to break anyone's heart here but now that you directly called that out, I'll confess that while they look nice, I wouldn't want any in our church. Whenever I see a bishop with their mitre and crosier, it always strikes to me as unnecessarily fancy and pompous and improper. Thankfully they barely ever use them.

Sorry. :cry:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I still want this thread to be called ReligionTrek.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

The Orthodox/Mennonite Venn Diagram is not favorable on the huge silk robe front but there's some promise on the ludicrous hats front.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Valiantman posted:

I don't want to break anyone's heart here but now that you directly called that out, I'll confess that while they look nice, I wouldn't want any in our church. Whenever I see a bishop with their mitre and crosier, it always strikes to me as unnecessarily fancy and pompous and improper. Thankfully they barely ever use them.

Sorry. :cry:

I need an adult.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Worthleast posted:

I need an adult.

Shhh. Shhh. Here, just stroke this velvet and sniff this incense until you feel better.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Tias posted:

I am distraught that Religionthread: the only dude itt who has read all of origen took a sacred vow to Mary to get off social media so we can't get the verdict on whether he thought we will become empyrean doughnut holes when we die is too long a title, because it is pure

E:

Ludicrous hats are a thread uniter, but I'm not sure about the silk robes. How are you all about heavy furs?

I have felt for years that Wicca needs better hats. I am entitled to wear an unadorned circlet if I'm running ritual but that really doesn't cut it!

I do have a 'for special' robe of white raw silk but that's really not what people think of when they think of silk. Duponier moire silk though, hrrrrrrg.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Epicurius posted:

Shhh. Shhh. Here, just stroke this velvet and sniff this incense until you feel better.
cappa magna...chinese brocade...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

zonohedron posted:

We do lose when an honest contributor goes silent, but we also don't need to provide a forum for racism or for "cultures need to maintain their diversity" and "it's too easy to travel and as a result people don't stay with the communities they're born into". I appreciate that disagreeing with many of the thread regulars hasn't gotten me kicked out, or yelled at, or shamed - nobody got mad at me for, "Well, if you don't like teaching a, b, or c, maybe you could opt to neither defend them nor disagree with them publicly," for example. But I think if someone came in saying "Marcion was right, the Jews' tribal deity isn't our god and the Old Testament is bad" we wouldn't respond with, "Your honest contribution to discussion is very interesting." Would we?

(For that matter, CountFosco, you could consider neither defending nor publicly disagreeing with your church's views on tolerance and many people living together, and posting in response to other things in the thread, you know.)

I admit to honest confusion as to why that viewpoint is couched in religious discussion at all.

We are thousands of years late to go back to humans as isolated tribes, and to get a little leftist, even being able to stay your whole life in the community you are born into is incredible privilege in a western world where migration to adapt to the vagaries of late stage capitalism is often necessary for survival.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Liquid Communism posted:

We are thousands of years late to go back to humans as isolated tribes, and to get a little leftist, even being able to stay your whole life in the community you are born into is incredible privilege in a western world where migration to adapt to the vagaries of late stage capitalism is often necessary for survival.
count fosco believes capitalism is bad because people shouldn't travel outside the communities they live in. he wants to make it more difficult for people to travel for this reason, to keep ethnicities and cultures seperate. (whether or not things suck in your homeland)

as a historian: people were on the move a LOT during the early modern period, we just don't think that they were. the entire dichotomy between a gemeinschaft, (warm, caring, harmonious, characterized by personal interactions and face-to-face relationships with people you know) and a gesellschaft (cold, atomized, anonymous, individualistic, characterized by impersonal interactions and formal laws) is bunk that romanticizes the past. Cops used drawings to track suspects through cities full of people that didn't know them as early as the 12th century. Paper ID started appearing at around this time as well. Peter Laslett and his study group were shocked to find out how much population turnover there was in early modern English towns. Even if CountFosco's wishes were ethical they're based on a view of the past that is factually incorrect.

Those quaint little villages you think of when you think "traditional culture" are populated by the descendants of migrants, and their adorable folk costumes were probably invented in the 19th century (which is when they started making enough textiles to support dressing like that). Their folktales were not only recorded in the late 18th/early 19th centuries, they may have been deliberately doctored at that time to make the listeners more xenophobic by framing existing stories as battles between good and evil.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 4, 2018

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And here I thought the Internet ensures a degree of separation. True, we can now talk to anyone anywhere on the Planet but it's all from a distance and thus you no longer even need to go from Here to Thereto interact with other cultures.

Plus there's been all kinds of studies and stuff since Trump's election that have documented the problem of online echo chambers. Used to be back in the day if you had an unorthodox belief you might have to keep it to yourself or just share it with close friends. Now you can reach out of your physical community and join an e-community where you can all talk about how the Earth is flat or something. Or, more positively, you can find people accepting of your sexuality online where they were absent in your personal life. It's very much a case of how the marketplace of ideas can both help and hurt.

Speaking a somebody who has always looked to the past in not exactly the idealized way Conservatives do but still more fondly and romantically than Leftists like, largely to try and make sense of how chaotic everything in the modern world feels, I can sympathize with wanting to put the genie back in the bottle. But as i said, a lot of good has come out of progress along with a lot of bad. I don't know what the solution is to make more good come and eradicate the bad. I've been trying to figure that out ever since I was a teenager.

Incidentally, speaking of Left and Right Christianity, what do you all think of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky? It seems remarkable to me two such legendary Russian Christian thinkers could come about at the same time and express such polar opposite views. Tolstoy is pretty much associated with the Far Left and anarchism. Dostoevsky is a conservative darling. Tolstoy had his radical, liberal, personal Christianity and Dostoevsky was all for the necessity of the Orthodox Church so far as I know.

I just got one of Tolstoy's books off Audible - "What I Believe" - because it sounded interesting and was like 50 cents.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking a somebody who has always looked to the past in not exactly the idealized way Conservatives do but still more fondly and romantically than Leftists like, largely to try and make sense of how chaotic everything in the modern world feels, I can sympathize with wanting to put the genie back in the bottle.
the secret of the past is that everything was as poo poo as it is now, except for the 17th century which was, bizarrely, worse

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

this is digressing mostly out of religion but have either of you read james scott? be interested in your takes

Caufman
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking a somebody who has always looked to the past in not exactly the idealized way Conservatives do but still more fondly and romantically than Leftists like, largely to try and make sense of how chaotic everything in the modern world feels, I can sympathize with wanting to put the genie back in the bottle.

I'm reminded of what Tuxedo Catfish said about how insecurity drives intolerance. In that light, I'm moved to pity more than to contempt for the intolerant individual, even if I can't fully let my guard down around the intolerance because of the harm it does to the vulnerable. I don't know Count Fosco well, but I remember feeling that he had long-held bitter resentments that I don't wish on him, the kind of resentments that the body of Christ seeks to console and transform.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

https://twitter.com/joecarter/status/1069621235229884416

Edit: check out the first response to that post as well.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Everything that's wrong with Christianity summed up in one tweet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And I'm pretty sure most Protestants don't regard Mary as any sort of special heavenly redeeming figure. To me, that's one of the really weird things about Catholidoxy I've long since given up on understanding.

https://i.imgur.com/Ib5w6vb.mp4

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Cythereal posted:

And I'm pretty sure most Protestants don't regard Mary as any sort of special heavenly redeeming figure. To me, that's one of the really weird things about Catholidoxy I've long since given up on understanding.

The point is he's a baptist telling other protestants that the picture isn't protestant (in his view).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cythereal posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Ib5w6vb.mp4

Yeah that's what confused me about that tweet. I've always been told Protestants react very badly to the place of Mary in the Church as well as all the saints and stuff. It seems to vary but the lofty place afforded to Mary does seem like a uniquely Catholic thing. Maybe Anglican too? I read something on Wiki once.

I find images of Mary very...comforting. Maybe it's my Catholic heritage, maybe it's the simple fact I have always felt more at ease around women and had more female friends, but I still like to just look at the images and read stories. Mariology is a topic I want to research more. Plenty of interesting material on the subject.

Also next month I wanted to get the audiobook of The Reed of God which I found on Amzon when looking for books on Mariology.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Man, the Protestant Church, especially the evangelical side, could really use more reverent attitudes toward Mary.

On another note, One of the most common criticisms I’ve heard from evangelicals against Catholic, Anglo-Catholic, and Orthodox veneration of saints is the idea of supernumerary grace. And I don’t really have a response for it, partially because of my evangelical/“sola scriptura” upbringing. First, is there such a thing as supernumerary grace, and, second, what is the traditional soteriological justification used?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

To be honest, what I come away from that picture with, speaking as a Protestant who has no particular views about Mary, is Mary offering Eve a simple "it's going to be all right" moment.

We need more of that, whatever branch of the tree we're on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cnidario posted:

Man, the Protestant Church, especially the evangelical side, could really use more reverent attitudes toward Mary.

To me, it comes down to this: Mary was a human being like you and me. She was chosen for a great and special task by God, unique and unequaled, but she at the end of the day was human. She sinned, and was as flawed and broken as the rest of us. A truly great soul and example to learn from? Yes, absolutely. Sinless or 'queen of the universe' or 'queen of the angels' or other epithets I see on churches? Absolutely not. Ditto the whole concept of saints. For all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God.

https://i.imgur.com/EkndyJM.gifv

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What I find interesting is that, like I said, I like looking at images of Mary. When looking for pictures I found a lot of her looking very majestic, right down to the crown on her head.

I'm used to images of her as more...I dunno, humble? I don't know anything about clothes but I am sure you know what I mean. Her head bowed, wearing some sort of head covering.

The point is, very different impressions between the latter and the former. I like them both, though.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

NikkolasKing posted:

And here I thought the Internet ensures a degree of separation. True, we can now talk to anyone anywhere on the Planet but it's all from a distance and thus you no longer even need to go from Here to Thereto interact with other cultures.

Plus there's been all kinds of studies and stuff since Trump's election that have documented the problem of online echo chambers. Used to be back in the day if you had an unorthodox belief you might have to keep it to yourself or just share it with close friends. Now you can reach out of your physical community and join an e-community where you can all talk about how the Earth is flat or something. Or, more positively, you can find people accepting of your sexuality online where they were absent in your personal life. It's very much a case of how the marketplace of ideas can both help and hurt.

I dunno about the idea that the internet promotes an echo chamber, there's a study that concludes that it's largely a myth, people are getting news from diverse news sources through the internet. It's just seems that rather than changing their views, people become more entrenched in their views if they are presented with contrading information (at least if they are Republican - not my words, the study).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah Man posted:

I dunno about the idea that the internet promotes an echo chamber, there's a study that concludes that it's largely a myth, people are getting news from diverse news sources through the internet. It's just seems that rather than changing their views, people become more entrenched in their views if they are presented with contrading information (at least if they are Republican - not my words, the study).

That's really interesting! Thanks a lot for the link. The self-licensing stuff especially lines up with how annoyed I am with politics and how absolutely none of it makes sense. Politics has to be the most irrational thing ever.

And apparently echo chambers might be better than going out and seeing other opinions because that just makes you hate the other side more. i guess that makes sense. If a Republican thought we were all filthy degenerates beforehand, rubbing that supposed degeneracy in their face is just going to make them more extreme.

It's a madhouse.

I'd prefer to think more on this book I just bought:
The Mystical City ofGod. Has anybody here read it?

I wonder if it's strange I find it easier to believe in miracles in the distant past? If this happened today, I might immediately dismiss it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I guess I'm the opposite. One of the books that drew me to Orthodoxy was The Mountain of Silence, which is full of stories of Athonite monks having time bend around them or bilocating or having visions of the dead and such. St. Paisios apparently once pushed a kid out of the way of a speeding car from a few hundred miles away.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

docbeard posted:

To be honest, what I come away from that picture with, speaking as a Protestant who has no particular views about Mary, is Mary offering Eve a simple "it's going to be all right" moment.

We need more of that, whatever branch of the tree we're on.

Exactly, and not only “it’s going to be alright,” but it is that way because she’s pregnant with God. The entire focus of the image is a baby bump, Eve’s hand is on the bump, Eve’s looking at the bump.

Mary as 2nd Eve doesn’t work in the same way as Christ the 2nd Adam, but it does work in the sense of disobedience vs. obedience/faith to God. Where Eve said no to God Himself, Mary believed “just” the messenger.

Even if the above wasn’t true, there’s no charity in him. Does every image have to be 100% accurate to your theology? He doesn’t even use icons. Whatever, man. I need to learn to not get enmeshed with nonsense

Re: Silk Robes, I don’t like how silk looks. Preference for wool and linens. Also, saw a documentary on how they make silk. The poor worms :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

quote:

Now that it’s Advent I’ve begun my annual tradition of complaining

Stop right there, Joe.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Everything that's wrong with Christianity summed up in one tweet.

Oh there's surely worse.

Cnidario posted:

On another note, One of the most common criticisms I’ve heard from evangelicals against Catholic, Anglo-Catholic, and Orthodox veneration of saints is the idea of supernumerary grace. And I don’t really have a response for it, partially because of my evangelical/“sola scriptura” upbringing. First, is there such a thing as supernumerary grace, and, second, what is the traditional soteriological justification used?

There is just grace, I think, and in exactly the requisite quantity.

Almost everyone recognizes that we owe our situation to the actions of people before us, known and unknown, helpful and unhelpful. We may also learn from exemplary characters. Where I think people run afoul of one another is the form in which the recognition is practiced, and the view of the historicity of the stories told.

As I get older, I do find myself more deeply respecting Mary, and her presence in my prayers grow. For most of my life, I only thought about what it's like to be a disciple of Jesus of Nazareth. I was not thinking enough of what it's like to be the mother of Jesus. That's it's own responsibility and cross to bear.