Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Dylan16807 posted:

Oh and for bonus points if you put that in a file (or compress it to one line) you get a different result, because all instances of "1000" compiled at the same time will share the same object.

Ahah that's great, and maybe more of a horror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

taqueso posted:

Ahah that's great, and maybe more of a horror

Not really? It is pretty silly to test for reference equality of instances of things like integers or strings. If you write non-toy code that does that I think you deserve what you get. Same would hold true in other languages that do this sort of thing.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
yeah, there’s nothing wrong with reusing instances for immutable objects when you can cheaply identify duplicates but also constructing new copies when it would be expensive to find one to reuse

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL

https://twitter.com/mgdm/status/1068245785941286919

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

PHP changelog: changed "not for production use" to "for production use"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lie down with dogs, etc.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I find it far fetched that both a php lambda exists and that someone also decided to use it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

I find it far fetched that both a php lambda exists and that someone also decided to use it.

Lambda is basically overcomplicated, expensive CGI, so that makes perfect sense. I also don't know why someone decided to use it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

xtal posted:

Lambda is basically overcomplicated, expensive CGI, so that makes perfect sense. I also don't know why someone decided to use it.
I find it far fetched that I forgot php is CGI.

Jokes aside, there are some legitimate uses. I'm not even sure how most places use Lambda. Where I've worked, it's largely used to perform cron style tasks or to trigger on certain conditions that often wouldn't be desirable or possible on a node itself. There's also a convenience factor at times. With all that said, I'm not sure why you'd write anything like that in PHP. And I don't even hate PHP or anything. I'd take a job writing PHP if the compensation and fit were right, but I've yet to see one of those.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 30, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lambda doesn't support PHP directly - they're bootstrapping it in some other language then running it.

It's like a strip from fairly early in Schlock Mercenary where they explain that the law is to just straight-up execute people for drunk driving starships because you have to be stupid and irresponsible enough to install the ability to drive one by hand and additionally stupid enough to fly it drunk at ~hundredths of c.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Munkeymon posted:

Lambda doesn't support PHP directly - they're bootstrapping it in some other language then running it.

It's like a strip from fairly early in Schlock Mercenary where they explain that the law is to just straight-up execute people for drunk driving starships because you have to be stupid and irresponsible enough to install the ability to drive one by hand and additionally stupid enough to fly it drunk at ~hundredths of c.

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2002-08-29

Still one of the best footnotes ever.

quote:

...It's the fact that you deliberately made such an irresponsible act POSSIBLE by putzing around with your ride. You know those signs that say "don't putz around with this system -- serious injury or death could result?" Well, they were talking about YOUR death, and it is now resulting.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Hah, that's pretty decent.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://christine.website/blog/experimental-rilkef-2018-11-30

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
OSS is the horror. If you don't want people to make money off of your work, don't release it for free? Or if you don't want malicious code put into the libs you use, maybe you could do it yourself? There's a reason the big box places ~embrace~ OSS and then ask you to show what you've been wasting your life doing on github if you want to eat.

My favorite part of ESR's essay book is when he realized that he would have to charge for distribution after quitting his position at MIT for the sake of 'free software'. Free software is never free.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dougdrums posted:

If you don't want people to make money off of your work, don't release it for free?

just use the GPL

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

just use the GPL

somebody get red hat on the line

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, this is the best free license.

quote:

The CrimethInc. N©! license is a share-alike anarchist public copyright license with restrictions of use based on anti-statism and anti-corporatism. The license allows any person acting in good faith to use the content in any way to better the world. It expressly prohibits the work to be used by any corporation or government body.

> The publishers, the notorious CrimethInc. ex-Workers' Collective, humbly put this book and all its contents at the disposal of those who, in good faith, might read, circulate, plagiarize, revise, and otherwise make use of them in the course of making the world a better place. Possession, reproduction, transmission, excerpting, introduction as evidence in court and all other applications by any corporation, government body, security organization, or similar party of evil intent are strictly prohibited and punishable under natural law.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

what the gently caress good is an anarchist license supposed to do, oh gee i sure do hope that society becomes a place where this is completely unenforceable???

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yea

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Most independent developers probably do not have the means to practically enforce a software license.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The license I use for my code is licensed under every license that is not licensed under itself.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

QuarkJets posted:

what the gently caress good is an anarchist license supposed to do, oh gee i sure do hope that society becomes a place where this is completely unenforceable???

I think it's what the kids call 'irony' OP

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

I think it's what the kids call 'irony' OP

I get the sense that it's not meant to be ironic though

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

QuarkJets posted:

This isn’t that ridiculous. There are loads of charities/non-profits that exist to do work that government should ostensibly do. In an ideal world those organizations don’t exist, but this isn’t an ideal world, so you make do.

If the world went anarchist then there’s no need for the license.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

"Punishable under natural law" seems sincere to you?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

xtal posted:

Actually, this is the best free license.
You mean http://www.wtfpl.net/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Magissima posted:

"Punishable under natural law" seems sincere to you?

that's some brokebrain poo poo but the world is full of idiot brokebrain people so yeah, I think it easily could be

like you can't seriously tell me that anyone who voted for Ron Paul wouldn't sincerely write that phrase, you just can't

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I'm just having trouble reading "introduction as evidence in court ... [is] strictly prohibited and punishable under natural law" without thinking that nobody could actually write that sincerely without realising how ridiculous they sound. They'd have to have realised that you cannot prohibit a court from exercising its function and thought "aha, well if I say it's punishable under natural law then I retain the moral high ground", or something, and I just can't picture the person who would do that and then nod in satisfaction that they've achieved something worthwhile. So I feel like it must be intended to be that ridiculous.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Sounds like someone hasn't been introduced to the sovereign citizen movement yet.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Next time you're in traffic court try to convince the judge he's presiding over an admiralty court on account of the fringes on the US flag in the room and therefore has no authority over you.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

QuarkJets posted:

Sure, but what's the "law" where you can't tell if someone is kidding or actually just that stupid/crazy/far up their own rear end? I feel like that's at play here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think there is an element of humor in there, but I'm curious as to what "natural law" entails. "Dog eat dog" and various other Mad Max fantasies aren't laws. Perhaps they mean gravity? Violate this and you'll fall down?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Ola posted:

I think there is an element of humor in there, but I'm curious as to what "natural law" entails. "Dog eat dog" and various other Mad Max fantasies aren't laws. Perhaps they mean gravity? Violate this and you'll fall down?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Ola posted:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I should know how to Google better, but I am free to leave it be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hammerite posted:

I'm just having trouble reading "introduction as evidence in court ... [is] strictly prohibited and punishable under natural law" without thinking that nobody could actually write that sincerely without realising how ridiculous they sound. They'd have to have realised that you cannot prohibit a court from exercising its function and thought "aha, well if I say it's punishable under natural law then I retain the moral high ground", or something, and I just can't picture the person who would do that and then nod in satisfaction that they've achieved something worthwhile. So I feel like it must be intended to be that ridiculous.

You ever hear of Sovereign Citizens? Or Freemen on the Land?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

QuarkJets posted:

You ever hear of Sovereign Citizens? Or Freemen on the Land?

I, ::paul:: of-the-family ::atreides::, the flesh and blood man

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Soricidus posted:

I, ::paul:: of-the-family ::atreides::, the flesh and blood man

That's not how namespaces work

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JlxuQ7tPgQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader