Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its not that the documentation is bad, its that graph doesnt really have much functionality. also its slow as balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what the gently caress is corncobbing in this context

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

just picture dogfooding in reverse with a corn cob

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

So new news, MS opening up more stuff. Now WPF, Windows Forms, and WinUI are set free, will anything update on any Linux desktop?

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/12/04/announcing-open-source-of-wpf-windows-forms-and-winui-at-microsoft-connect-2018/

idk, if MS are using these technologies to build Outlook 2016 I don't think it changes anything. Outlook is no better than Netscape 1 on HP/UX in Motif for how impressively slow and bad at painting it has become.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

MrMoo posted:

So new news, MS opening up more stuff. Now WPF, Windows Forms, and WinUI are set free, will anything update on any Linux desktop?

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2018/12/04/announcing-open-source-of-wpf-windows-forms-and-winui-at-microsoft-connect-2018/

idk, if MS are using these technologies to build Outlook 2016 I don't think it changes anything. Outlook is no better than Netscape 1 on HP/UX in Motif for how impressively slow and bad at painting it has become.

FOSS WPF is unironically good, there are some real annoying bugs and super annoying workarounds for things that should have been fixed forever ago that just didn't happen because it got abandoned in favor of UWP

I know web dev is all that matters anymore but some people still make desktop applications and XAML/WPF is actually p good

mystes
May 31, 2006

All that stuff is very much tied to windows apis so there isn't much hope for Linux support, but they announced a while ago that they are working on porting xamarin forms so hopefully that will happen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BIGFOOT EROTICA posted:

XAML/WPF is actually p good

shaggar you forgot to sign out of your alt again

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

WPF is the best ui framework ever released

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Damning with faint praise

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

All that stuff is very much tied to windows apis so there isn't much hope for Linux support, but they announced a while ago that they are working on porting xamarin forms so hopefully that will happen.

it is not very charming a thing to think about, but it is probably a very realistic way to make it into a library capable of very good apps to just attach some wine fragments for a lot of the little details which are otherwise annoying to make cross-platform, and then do a proper port of the actual back-end painting stuff

we'll see

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it would be both interesting and rather sad if this move and the rumored eol of edge was satya having decided that everyone just spinning up an electron montrosity for everything is the unavoidable future (or rather that the present will continue), making a lot of the userspace ui infrastructure the os provides largely pointless

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

really enjoying getting a "something went wrong" message every 15 mins on teams at the moment.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chalks posted:

really enjoying getting a "something went wrong" message every 15 mins on teams at the moment.

speaking of electron montrosities

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

speaking of electron montrosities

best thing about electron is that both the desktop and web client can have all the same issues at the same time

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Last Chance posted:

just picture dogfooding in reverse with a corn cob

illuminating

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is not very charming a thing to think about, but it is probably a very realistic way to make it into a library capable of very good apps to just attach some wine fragments for a lot of the little details which are otherwise annoying to make cross-platform, and then do a proper port of the actual back-end painting stuff

we'll see
Even assuming that it's possible/practical, I don't think there's enough interest in WPF now for anyone to bother.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

KHTML is replacing IE??

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Toady posted:

KHTML is replacing IE??

rumors still, but, yeah, that is certainly one way to put it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Shaggar posted:

chome and all its offshoots are so bad.

sorry shagger the dream is dead

pram
Jun 10, 2001
one day you will log onto a thin windows facade over the linux kernel and fire up microsoft chrome

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft is helpfully backporting security vulnerabilities to windows 7

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

pram posted:

one day you will log onto a thin windows facade over the linux kernel and fire up microsoft chrome

this is honestly the best timeline

windwos <3 linus

shags gets an iphone

edge becomes chome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

:chome:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why did they get rid of the delete confirmation dialogue in W10 (something that's been there, IIRC, since Hotdog Stand days)?

Like, what's the benefit in changing what's been a part of the user interaction for, at this point, nigh-unto a quarter century?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Deleting a file and hitting delete no longer throws up a confirmation in W10, it did in W7 and every previous edition I'm aware of?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

huh, i didn't notice that. it doesn't do that if you bypass the recycle bin

i wonder when that changed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Deleting a file and hitting delete no longer throws up a confirmation in W10, it did in W7 and every previous edition I'm aware of?
You mean actually deleting rather than sending it to the recycle bin?

Edit: Oh hmm

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Like, I'm 99% sure it's never actually caused a problem but I noticed it as soon as I tried W10 and I've wondered about the reasoning ever since.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
you've always been able to change that in the recycle bin properties

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
wdg: hey everybody, great news about a new product
everyone: oh no
wdg: we're working on a really cool dual-screen device
everyone: no one wants a dual screen device
wdg: and we've written an entirely new, innovative shell to make dual-screen scenarios really shine
everyone: oh no. you learned nothing from windows 8, did you?
wdg: that's right! and our new dual-screen windows is built on windows core os, which is the windows you're used to except that we've ripped out large portions of it so that it can only run uwp apps.
everyone: for fucks sake. no one wants a uwp-only windows device.
wdg: not to worry! windows core os comes with hyper-v, so you can run win32 apps in windows 10 in a vm!
everyone: gently caress no we're not
wdg: uh... what if we disguise remote desktop so it looks like you're running a normal app?
everyone: we're buying macs now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Fiedler posted:

wdg: and we've written an entirely new, innovative shell to make dual-screen scenarios really shine
wdg: that's right! and our new dual-screen windows is built on windows core os, which is the windows you're used to except that we've ripped out large portions of it so that it can only run uwp apps.
wdg: not to worry! windows core os comes with hyper-v, so you can run win32 apps in windows 10 in a vm!
wdg: uh... what if we disguise remote desktop so it looks like you're running a normal app?

nobodys buying macs lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Toady posted:

KHTML is replacing IE??

lol yeah

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

its never been in w10 if my companys computers are any indication dunno about 8

its great

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fiedler posted:

what is this product

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

orange sky posted:

I mean yeah it'll help the little girl with troubleshooting why no Bluetooth device works correctly or why suddenly the graphics card drivers are crashing

i literally have both of those problems on my work macbook pro lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LastInLine posted:

its never been in w10 if my companys computers are any indication dunno about 8

its great

I mean, I personally think the unprompted behavior is the correct one (and it always should have worked like this) but it’s a change in expected user interface behavior after 25+ years and I’m not sure why?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I personally think the unprompted behavior is the correct one (and it always should have worked like this) but it’s a change in expected user interface behavior after 25+ years and I’m not sure why?

I assume the justification for no delete prompts is that you can undo the delete, but if I press the wrong button or something and a file randomly disappears, I may not even notice that's happened. How often are people encountering the delete confirmation prompt that the benefit of removing it outweighs the danger of accidental data loss?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

akadajet posted:

i literally have both of those problems on my work macbook pro lol

Also the bluetooth drivers are really solid on the SPro, and the graphics drivers are an explicitly frozen version of intel drivers for stability (you can still use the normal ones if you want)

Now if you're talking about the keyboard drivers which cause a BSOD every few months, or the dock drivers which break WiFi on some models (doesn't happen to me), well yeah that is crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Chalks posted:

I assume the justification for no delete prompts is that you can undo the delete, but if I press the wrong button or something and a file randomly disappears, I may not even notice that's happened. How often are people encountering the delete confirmation prompt that the benefit of removing it outweighs the danger of accidental data loss?

Well, if it had always been like that from the start of Windows unto-this-very-day then it would be fine (and even more “correct” as long as the recycle bin isn’t bypassed by default) and would have maybe built “check the recycle bin first” culture into the user base.

But doing something for every previous version then just going “Welp...” seems peak-W10? Desktop Windows is long-tail legacy software and should drat well behave like it.

:shrug: