Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

EL BROMANCE posted:

For some things, ie the 2 different cuts of Deadpool 2 that exist, I just make a /Scene/ folder in the main movie and dump the other cut into that.

This is what I've recently been doing. Much cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

EL BROMANCE posted:

For some things, ie the 2 different cuts of Deadpool 2 that exist, I just make a /Scene/ folder in the main movie and dump the other cut into that.

This is brilliant, thanks.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm not familiar with /scene/ got a quick explanation? Or a pink to a Plex article about? A quick look through the FAQ didn't turn anything up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

emocrat posted:

I'm not familiar with /scene/ got a quick explanation? Or a pink to a Plex article about? A quick look through the FAQ didn't turn anything up.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220677-local-media-assets-movies/

quote:

If you have trailers, interviews, behind the scenes videos, or other “extras” type content for your movies, you can add those.

Local extras can be located alongside the main movie file in a directory named for the movie. They’re specified by using specific naming at the end of the filename. Local inline extras will be detected and used if named and stored as follows:

Movie/MovieName (Release Date)/Descriptive_Name-Extra_Type.ext
Where -Extra_Type is one of:

-behindthescenes
-deleted
-featurette
-interview
-scene
-short
-trailer

Note: The filename must end in the -Extra_Type value exactly. The hyphen is important and you cannot have spaces after it.

For example, folder hierarchy I have for Avatar with the Extended Collectors Edition looks like

code:
/Movies
     /Avatar (2009)
          Avatar - Extended Collector's Edition-scene.mkv

The Extended Collector's Edition of Avatar shows up under Avatar's extras (along with deleted scenes, trailers, etc) in all Plex client apps.

[edit] You can also create subdirectories instead of adding the "-extrastype" at the end of the file name:

quote:

You can organize your local extras into specific subdirectories inside the main directory named for the movie. Extras will be detected and used if named and stored as follows:

Movie/MovieName (Release Date)/Extra_Directory_Type/Descriptive_name.ext

Where Extra_Directory_Type is one of:

Behind The Scenes
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Scenes
Shorts
Trailers

It is recommended that you provide some sort of descriptive name for the extras filenames.
code:
/Movies
   /Avatar (2009)
      /Behind The Scenes
         Performance Capture.mkv
      /Deleted Scenes
         Bar Fight.mp4
         Lost Sister.mkv
      /Interviews
         Sigourney Weaver.mp4
         Stephen Lang.mp4
      /Scenes
         Avatar - Extended Collector's Edition.mkv
         Arrival.mp4
      /Trailers
          Teaser Trailer.mp4
          Theatrical Trailer #1.mp4
          Theatrical Trailer #2.mp4

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 1, 2018

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Perfect. Thanks, I'm gonna do this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Remember when I said this:

TheScott2K posted:

I hope their "different approach to plugins" could get us something like letting my Vudu purchases be in my movie library

And then got "shut down" with this:

Ixian posted:

Not to nitpick but I think that was inevitable as home brewed DVR solutions were a thing for years before they created theirs, and also completely different from "Vudu integration" since they didn't need anyone else's permission to create the DVR/get OTA content.

Vudu (or Movies Anywhere, which would be better) depends on Plex either:

A) Creating their own, certified player client. That is technically possible and practically impossible. Vudu (backed by Walmart) isn't going to let them create a "Vudu client" for Plex and the Movies Anywhere consortium run by Disney is even less likely to back one.

I mean sure, it could happen. Just like me landing on the moon could happen, I mean, it's just right up there.

B) Acting as some sort of metadata passthrough agent, where the movies show up in your library but actually launch the official client for playback. This would require 1) Being able to access the movie metadata from the service (this might actually be possible with MA, though not sure how open their API is) and 2) Being able to launch a separate client (like Vudu) directly in to a movie which AFAIK isn't possible.

Also possible, just like it's possible I could orbit the earth in case the moon was too far out of reach.

Well, they're basically doing that with Tidal now, so let's all get some moon shoes.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Streaming music is pretty different than accessing purchased video content in regards to licensing and streaming. Integrating music streaming has happened a bunch already with Spotify introducing apps for Xbox, control via Echo, and allowing Sonos to control it. Also Tidal is pretty motivated to do anything to keep a single user. I’m not aware of anything like this in regards to digital video purchases. But yeah, maybe?

Super stoked for you, though. It’s nice to feel right and get a good self quote in.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

sellouts posted:

Streaming music is pretty different than accessing purchased video content in regards to licensing and streaming. Integrating music streaming has happened a bunch already with Spotify introducing apps for Xbox, control via Echo, and allowing Sonos to control it. Also Tidal is pretty motivated to do anything to keep a single user. I’m not aware of anything like this in regards to digital video purchases. But yeah, maybe?

Super stoked for you, though. It’s nice to feel right and get a good self quote in.

Video services have Xbox apps and surveillance speaker integration too dude

The important bit is it doesn't appear to be infeasible for Plex to pass an authentication token to a pay service

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 2, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I really don't believe the issue is with Plex, the issue is with the rights holders and service providers. Spotify is making an active choice to not force you to use their app exclusively to utilize their service, even with xbox the app runs in the background so you can listen while doing anything else. Sonos integration doesn't even force you to use the Spotify app with searching or anywhere else.

Video is balkanized to hell and back. I don't think any of those Video apps ever integrate or share information anywhere else, do they? Is there an app currently out there that can either playback from multiple services or even search across them so you can find what you own or have access to and play it from whatever source is appropriate?

Passing a token is the least complicated part of the whole situation. Lawyers and corporate hubris are what make it hard.

My intention isn't to "shut you down" but I think a desperate audio streaming company integrating with Plex is very different than a movie or TV store that offers individual purchases.

I could totally be wrong. I would love to be. More choices/better interfaces/easy searching for everyone.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

Video is balkanized to hell and back. I don't think any of those Video apps ever integrate or share information anywhere else, do they? Is there an app currently out there that can either playback from multiple services or even search across them so you can find what you own or have access to and play it from whatever source is appropriate?

TiVo Bolt. Single pane to search your cable TV plus selected streaming services, including pay vs free. Sometimes it even auto plays what you selected. It is however in the proprietary app.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That is awesome. Even if it’s in the proprietary app it’s still cool.

I think it’s a stretch for that to get to Plex because of it, but drat I’d like that feature. Make that integrate with my Plex server and I’d be alllllll in.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

sellouts posted:

That is awesome. Even if it’s in the proprietary app it’s still cool.

I think it’s a stretch for that to get to Plex because of it, but drat I’d like that feature. Make that integrate with my Plex server and I’d be alllllll in.

TiVo is the ultimate way to watch TV if you have cable. It even has a plex client. 25gb 1080p blu-ray runs fine, it's just the dts audio that makes it transcode the audio, but that might be a output thing, my TV is stereo only. It can ostensibly do hevc 4k video but I don't have a 4k TV to test.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I bought myself an ethernet kit (with mediocre punch tool that's worse than the flathead screwdriver it came with) and went to all the trouble of wiring up my XBox only for Plex to still get stuck buffering every 20min while playing x265 content. What should I look for to fix this other than just ferrying poo poo to my laptop on USB?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I bought myself an ethernet kit (with mediocre punch tool that's worse than the flathead screwdriver it came with) and went to all the trouble of wiring up my XBox only for Plex to still get stuck buffering every 20min while playing x265 content. What should I look for to fix this other than just ferrying poo poo to my laptop on USB?

Is it transcoding or no?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

That sounds like something else is wrong honestly. What are the specs on the file? `ffmpeg -i file` will give you a dump of information.

(also for money they make keystones where the cap for it is the punch tool. You jam a still twisted color pair over both sides of the ridge and snap on the top with decent force, it's the only way to fly.)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Is it transcoding or no?
I think so - and my computer is throttling because it's too fast.

H110Hawk posted:

That sounds like something else is wrong honestly. What are the specs on the file? `ffmpeg -i file` will give you a dump of information.

(also for money they make keystones where the cap for it is the punch tool. You jam a still twisted color pair over both sides of the ridge and snap on the top with decent force, it's the only way to fly.)
This happens on all sorts of files, not just this one. h264 files too.

I only had to punch the BIX block - keystones were already in the apartment walls.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 2, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Take some logs, post em in the Plex forums. They're pretty responsive when you have an issue and are more specific than "a video is stuttering HALP." Could just be an odd bug on the Xbone app. I've been having framerate issues on 1080p x264 content lately, but no buffering.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

I've had a similar problem when the HDD on my Plex server got full.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Remember when I said this:

And then got "shut down" with this:

Well, they're basically doing that with Tidal now, so let's all get some moon shoes.

The difference between Tidal's business model and music licensing back end and Vudu/Walmart's video aggregation service is as big as the difference between Virgin Galactic sending a rocket plane 50 miles in the air and Apollo 11 landing on the moon, so maybe hold off on those boots.

I like Tidal and am glad to see them on Plex. And to be clear, I would be delighted to see something like Vudu or Movies Anywhere integrated with Plex as well. Who wouldn't? I actively hope I'm wrong. Not counting down the days until I see it, either.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m sure they’re adding legit services like that so they’re not just seen as the software platform where people have dozens of tb of pirated materials and 100 ‘friends’ added to the share list.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m sure they’re adding legit services like that so they’re not just seen as the software platform where people have dozens of tb of pirated materials and 100 ‘friends’ added to the share list.

I'm pretty sure that's the thinking behind the DVR function too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

TheScott2K posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the thinking behind the DVR function too.

Well Kodi/XBMC has these as well but gets banned quite a bit because of Android box resellers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Well Kodi/XBMC has these as well but gets banned quite a bit because of Android box resellers.

The "media server" concept really serves Plex well when it comes to not having their entire project's public face hijacked by shady hardware sellers.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Kodi's pirate-box problem is due entirely to their open addon system, by which said pirate addons (mostly streamers, these days) can integrate easily and make use of the excellent Kodi media player, library, etc.

Plex by contrast locks their addons down tight. That is how they (and Emby) get in to most app stores and Kodi does not.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I had to actually institute a "I'm not troubleshooting whatever Kodi thing you bought from a guy on Facebook Marketplace" rule among the extended family

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I had to actually institute a "I'm not troubleshooting whatever Kodi thing you bought from a guy on Facebook Marketplace" rule among the extended family

yeah I learned by lesson during the IceFilms/Megaupload fiasco. After that I've sworn off TvAddons and such. There's some kinda neat stuff there but it breaks every 6 months because the Dev gets annoyed at support requests or servers get raided.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

All you need is a bottom-scraping reseller who can get cheap Android knock offs that probably have margins in the single digits, a Kodi image that can be replicated endlessly for free and and allow for a price bump, and finally a variety of marketplaces that leverage well known names like Amazon, Ebay, Facebook, etc. as a path to market...in the end it's not surprising how fast these things have spread.

I also run in to relatives who have "this Kodi thing". A few years ago I would have been surprised and pleased to find a fellow home media center geek like myself in the family; nowadays I know exactly what that means when they mention it - and that it's usually a prelude to asking for help.

There's no way for Kodi to solve this short of forking, shutting development of the mainline branch, and creating a curated addon version. Which some third parties (MrMC, etc.) have done, but I doubt the foundation will.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My favorite Kodi story is my poor Aunt who got a hacked Fire Stick telling me how great it was and how much cheaper it was than Netflix and cable, only to have her run and throw it in the trash when I told her "Yeah, it's cool. Not legal of course, but cool".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

My favorite Kodi story is my poor Aunt who got a hacked Fire Stick telling me how great it was and how much cheaper it was than Netflix and cable, only to have her run and throw it in the trash when I told her "Yeah, it's cool. Not legal of course, but cool".

So uh, what are these things everyone else seems to understand except for me? I get shady android hardware + Kodi running on it, what makes them illegal?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They're loaded up with all sorts of lovely streaming software that directly pulls down pirated content. Essentially closing the gap Plex has where it's possible that you have bought all of those movies on disc or download legally.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

H110Hawk posted:

So uh, what are these things everyone else seems to understand except for me? I get shady android hardware + Kodi running on it, what makes them illegal?

What dont you understand? They’re marketed all over facebook as movie and pay-per-view stealing boxes, straight up. They come pre-loaded with sketchy plugins for pirate streams.

The devices themselves aren’t illegal, but using them as advertised by resellers is.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

They're loaded up with all sorts of lovely streaming software that directly pulls down pirated content. Essentially closing the gap Plex has where it's possible that you have bought all of those movies on disc or download legally.

eddiewalker posted:

What dont you understand? They’re marketed all over facebook as movie and pay-per-view stealing boxes, straight up. They come pre-loaded with sketchy plugins for pirate streams.

The devices themselves aren’t illegal, but using them as advertised by resellers is.

This was literally my question. I've never heard of them.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Kodi boxes are this generation's chipped consoles, only instead of appearing in the adspace of gaming mags they're dropshipped Chinese garbage advertised on Facebook

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The last time I used Kodi it was still xbmc and it was just another local media client, plugins weren’t that big yet. I can see how if you haven’t followed what’s been happening in that ecosystem very closely you wouldn’t know that Kodi is basically synonymous with “pirated movie streams from Estonia”

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I won't say the name (you can you can just google "Watch X on Kodi" and see the results) but there is one that is most popular Kodi add on that gets shipped. This is a repository that gives you access to several lovely, illegal, third party addons that let you stream everything from games, Netflix, Prime, Hulu, sports etc. Pretty cool if you want to watch live TV from Japan or India but you constantly are updating and changing applications.

For a while, everyone was literally getting mom and grandma to cancel cable, sign up for a higher end internet plan, and depend on a small Chinese Android box which works great until it doesn't. Usually these devices are not approved by Google so you can't use the official app store or they come with custom firmware/skinned version of Kodi that you can't easily fix. Even posting questions about these addons will get you a ban from the forum you are post one. Unless its reddit.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Anyone who sets their olds up to be dependent on piracy deserves the bed the made for themselves

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone who sets their olds up to be dependent on piracy deserves the bed the made for themselves

EL BROMANCE posted:

This plus "BUY A loving ROKU" and the problems go away.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

The last time I used Kodi it was still xbmc and it was just another local media client, plugins weren’t that big yet. I can see how if you haven’t followed what’s been happening in that ecosystem very closely you wouldn’t know that Kodi is basically synonymous with “pirated movie streams from Estonia”

Yeah, I had never heard of this prior to today. That's hilarious.

Christmas is coming, buy your parents a Roku. Unless they insist on cable tv then buy them a TiVo Bolt+.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Would Roku + Philo + Plex my olds again 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Maybe I just have lovely friends and relatives but I know plenty of "olds" who used to buy modified cable or satellite (Dish was real popular in the pirate scene for a while, I believe) boxes to get "free" TV. They were forever dicking with those too, and in a lot of cases they'd have to get new cards or whatever every few months.

The Kodi-streamer poo poo appeals to that crowd, as well as a much larger pool of folks who always wanted to do the same thing but couldn't deal with the whole hardware hacking scene.