Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
im 90% sure my engine mounts are toast and I figure that if I'm doing those I should do the trans mount while I'm under there, and the pitch stop too.

I was going to go with the group n mounts because I have to drive it, and I dont go to the track often/dont aim to be competitive, just have fun.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

underage at the vape shop posted:

im 90% sure my engine mounts are toast and I figure that if I'm doing those I should do the trans mount while I'm under there, and the pitch stop too.

I was going to go with the group n mounts because I have to drive it, and I dont go to the track often/dont aim to be competitive, just have fun.

Rising Sun Subaru for sure then. The WRC car wears a few parts sourced through them.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The pitch stop mount is overrated. It's the others that really matter.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I feel like the pitch stop plays a fairly important role in keeping the radiator hoses from being pushed into the fans.

Also think it's important to have all the mounts "match" so the forces are evenly distributed.

But i suppose the stiffer the motor and trans mounts are, the less important the pitch stop is. Like if you have solid aluminum mounts like a few places are making would it matter if there was no pitch stop at all? i know of a time attack car doing that, or they tried it anyway.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 30, 2018

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

daslog posted:

It's def not overrated. Just match with the rest

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

daslog posted:

I had a pretty brutal shudder on throttle-lift that turned out to be a couple-mm of hogged out in the old pitch stop mount.

You could easily spin and move around the bushing inside the hole in the hard plastic. Probably have to do the same thing on the Saab soon, it's also getting bad.

I wouldn't go for a solid pitch stop mount but it's worth matching.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Not like I'm getting a Perrin Engine Bay Prettying Kit or some dumb poo poo and rocking a solid pitch stop on 13 year old engine mounts either.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Finally got the heads off my sad EJ25D, nice pinhole in the exhaust valve of cylinder 3. What the hell causes that on a totally stock N/A motor?

on the plus side it gives me a chance to finally fix the oil separator plate leaking. also the clutch was on it's last legs with nearly 175k on it. same with the tob. not surprised there.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

JBark posted:

This video covers it pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAVA4oS3_mE

It's pretty simple, just did mine a couple months ago and only took a few minutes. No more belt squeal and jerky steering when cold.

Thanks! I did this last night and it's working great so far.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
So magically while playing and drifting in the parking lots last night the ej20 decided to have about 1qt of oil just up and disappear. Did a compression test on one passenger side and it came back fine tonight, tomorrow night its drivers side and then after that it's leak down on all cylinders. And I really want to beat the poo poo out the engineer that decided on the spark plug locations for this fragile motors.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

If anyone cares, I got some pictures of the damage. Still mystified how this even loving happened.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Neat. I’ve seen EJ22s burn their exhaust valves too but I have no idea how it happens. Guessing the combustion temp gets high from leaning out?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Weird. My burnt valve on my turbo motor was burnt around the perimeter. I’m told it happens due to the engine pulling lots of timing due to knock (from a lean mixture) and then having the excessively hot gases going around the valve while still combusting.

Did the car have a plugged up cat? Maybe too much backpreasure/heat in the exhaust manifold caused it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

i own every Bionicle posted:

Weird. My burnt valve on my turbo motor was burnt around the perimeter. I’m told it happens due to the engine pulling lots of timing due to knock (from a lean mixture) and then having the excessively hot gases going around the valve while still combusting.

Did the car have a plugged up cat? Maybe too much backpreasure/heat in the exhaust manifold caused it.

It had the opposite, an exhaust leak. Maybe a lack of backpressure did it?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I don’t know, doesn’t seem likely but I am no expert.

Did you happen to check the valve clearance?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If the valve isn't sealing, you hot exhaust gasses leaking past all the time and that will burn a hole/notch.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

I'll have to ask, it's at a local shop. I just dropped by to see how it was going and took a couple pics. the cams were already out though so it's too late to check.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I found this on a WRX I was fixing a bunch of stuff on. After cleaning off the buildup on the back of the valve I uncovered all that pitting/ erosion on the sealing surface. I bet after some time the hot gases leaking through that would cut a bigger and bigger hole until it looked like yours.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

that makes sense, there's a fair amount of carbon buildup on everything:

its all going to a machine shop to get super shiny and pretty either way so it shouldn't happen again. not for a long, long time anyways. at least you can still see the crosshatching on the cylinder walls and the valvetrain/oil pan was sludge free. should have taken a few more pics but oh well, next time.

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

It had the opposite, an exhaust leak. Maybe a lack of backpressure did it?
Where was the leak? Cracked exhaust manifolds/leaking gaskets can cause a burnt valve. Otherwise carbon buildup almost definitely caused it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

On on of The Skid Factory episodes Mechanical Stig said something to the effect of "every Subaru owner I know has had their engine out at least one time if not more" and I laughed and then sighed knowingly. Funny enough the only engine that I never took out on one of my Subarus was the only turbo one I had, haha. I'm also getting a free Outback some time this week so I can have at least one spare engine (normal maintenance item) on the shelf. I also have one that only knocks a little bit and a spare set of sohc heads in stock right now.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ChunksNensja posted:

Where was the leak? Cracked exhaust manifolds/leaking gaskets can cause a burnt valve. Otherwise carbon buildup almost definitely caused it.

It was pretty close to the header before the split on the Y pipe. But it was on cylinder 4 and it burnt a valve on 3.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

On on of The Skid Factory episodes Mechanical Stig said something to the effect of "every Subaru owner I know has had their engine out at least one time if not more" and I laughed and then sighed knowingly.

Which is kinda funny as Mech Stig knows us and we've got a bunch of Subarus that have never had motors out.

One of them is about to celebrate 20 years

I'm willing to tempt fate on that one :D

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Which is kinda funny as Mech Stig knows us and we've got a bunch of Subarus that have never had motors out.

One of them is about to celebrate 20 years

I'm willing to tempt fate on that one :D

It might have been Al too, I forget who exactly said it but it was in a funny self deprecating way, not mean. I know Al loves Subarus.

You so should not have said that 20 year one out loud man, tempting fate like that, haha.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
my engines never been out because the engine broke.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

shy boy from chess club posted:

You so should not have said that 20 year one out loud man, tempting fate like that, haha.

It's a 1999 2 litre NA... I have either a 2.5 turbo or 2 litre turbo wating to just drop in.

I'm willing to tempt fate, I'm looking forward to a fast toaster :D

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

To be fair most other engines don't have to come out to do headgaskets on them but these stupid pancake engines love to leak there...

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."
My daily-driver 2011 Impreza decided to have the piston rod bearing fail. Dealership says it needs a new short block and quoted a repair of $5500. Ive got ~110k miles on it. So now I'm debating if it's something I should fix or if it's time to been looking at new cars. I'm really enjoying the 2018 loaner crosstrek they've put me in...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's a 1999 2 litre NA... I have either a 2.5 turbo or 2 litre turbo wating to just drop in.

I'm willing to tempt fate, I'm looking forward to a fast toaster :D

Oh then you are going to have the opposite problem. The 2 litre will outlast that 2 million mile Volvo guy

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
Please someone talk some sense into me and tell my why I shouldn't trade my BRZ in on an STi. It seems like a good idea on the surface...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You gain 2 doors, 2 seats, a useable trunk, all wheel drive, and actual torque. How much that's worth is entirely up to you.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

um excuse me posted:

You gain 2 doors, 2 seats, a useable trunk, all wheel drive, and actual torque. How much that's worth is entirely up to you.

Yeah, I hear you. I just question the buying in on a nearly decade old chassis with an engine designed in the 80s. They fixed the problems by now, right?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was excited for the FA so I got the WRX. The new engine for the STI is just around the corner in the next year or two with the Ascent's 2.4 liter direct injected turbo engine. The ringlands are still an issue on the EJ from what I understand but it's so well understood that reliable replacement kits are readily available. The aftermarket for that engine is huge but if you aren't a tinkerer then maybe wait or find a dealer like the one that I went to that offers a 100,000 mile engine warranty with every sale.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

We're a few years in at this point, what seems to be the consensus on the FA20F? It's tough to tell it's reliability because so many people that mess up their engines are doing dumb things and then complaining they did dumb things in forums.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

net work error posted:

We're a few years in at this point, what seems to be the consensus on the FA20F? It's tough to tell it's reliability because so many people that mess up their engines are doing dumb things and then complaining they did dumb things in forums.

Boost in = rods out

Keep it stock boost levels and seems to be okay. And DONT ping tune.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Rods are the known weakness for the engine. I'm at 60kmi on my WRX with no issues. I have an early iteration with my car being sold in May of 2014. It's modified, intake, exhaust and tune, making 281hp and 313 ft lbs at the wheels. Assuming the same 53 hp tranny loss, I'm well past 300hp at the crank. I've been running that for at least 40kmi. I know I should probably walnut blast the valves soon because due to carbon build up on a direct injected only engine, but no indicators yet.

Edit: and yeah I'm running stock boost levels, though it's electronically controlled now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

antimatt posted:

Yeah, I hear you. I just question the buying in on a nearly decade old chassis with an engine designed in the 80s. They fixed the problems by now, right?

I had one and it was a colossal turd. Performance was good but reliability was poo poo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I mean, breaking rods in a 2.0 making like 400lb-ft at 2500 rpm shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Bigger problem was likely tuners letting it make all the boost as early as possible, which those do really well, partly because of the manifold and turbo setup, and the di, and it's just a more volumetric efficient engine than the ej. Decent tuners have probably figured out that you have to wait a little to ramp those up.

Personally I'd take an sti because I can take one of those apart with my eyes closed and the drivetrain is a lot better.

Also, the sti did get new pistons for 2018, or the 18 RA did and now the 19s have those too or something. It is yet to be determined if they are any better.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
hey jamal/anyone else, just to double check, what are the torque specs on the pitch stop/engine mount nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd go out on a limb and say torque there is not critical. Gutentight.