Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Cool.

Isn't the first episode about the restaurant being suspected of being cannibals?

Yeah

Loren Bouchard posted:

AVC: And the cannibal angle did make it into the pilot, so…

LB: It did. You know, cannibalism is great. I love it.

Someone check Bouchard's freezer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of twists like that turn out to be unnecessary when it turns out funny writing and good performances can carry a show just fine. Reminded of the initial plan for The Simpsons where Homer was actually Krusty in his day job.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think the episode where he came out as gay was unnecessary because that was part of the joke but I have never watched it because the Simpsons post 9th season wasn't necessary

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Huh, I had no idea Bob's Burgers was from the same guy who did Lucy. I remember really liking that show when it came out, and wishing they had made more episodes. Have to wonder how well it'd hold up to a rewatch though

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pick posted:

Yes, Ivanova and Talia are in a relationship and that's how loving ambiguous they had to be about it.

Also, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line later where two characters are "undercover" and their identities are a married couple. They're both dudes.

I was going to mention that. Yeah, those two dudes are pretending to be travelling on their honeymoon, and while it's made into a bit of a joke the joke is "*those* two guys? they're so totally not each others' type" while the concept of two dudes being married is presented as totally boring and normal. So there's that, I guess.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Groke posted:

I was going to mention that. Yeah, those two dudes are pretending to be travelling on their honeymoon, and while it's made into a bit of a joke the joke is "*those* two guys? they're so totally not each others' type" while the concept of two dudes being married is presented as totally boring and normal. So there's that, I guess.

I wonder whether this was a reaction to someone shipping them in fanfic.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Groke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQ5lpDgnOY&t=28s

I had almost forgotten that moment - which is surprising given how gay I was for Marcus.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

JMS did that deliberately. His thought was that with umpteen kinds of sentient aliens around people would care less about differences in sexuality or gender than the bigger differences between species.

Not being totally idealistic, he had the current hatreds and prejudices shifted to hating aliens. Which got politically manipulated to give an Earth First movement that ended up (of course) in cahoots with a major alien species.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Winklebottom posted:

Someone check Bouchard's freezer

Bob's is one of those things where I like the end product but would not want to spend any time with the people who make it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MrUnderbridge posted:

JMS did that deliberately. His thought was that with umpteen kinds of sentient aliens around people would care less about differences in sexuality or gender than the bigger differences between species.

Not being totally idealistic, he had the current hatreds and prejudices shifted to hating aliens. Which got politically manipulated to give an Earth First movement that ended up (of course) in cahoots with a major alien species.

I know, it's one of the reasons Babylon 5 is so drat good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Additional fun fact, he wrote a fake script where Londo and G'kar made out just to be a troll

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pick posted:

Additional fun fact, he wrote a fake script where Londo and G'kar made out just to be a troll

Am I crazy, or did it include a line from G'Kar where he complained Londo used too many of his tentacles?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ambassador Gkar having a low-key scandalous horn for earth ladies was always amusing, especially when he propositioned Talia for some ‘Telepath Breeding’ and she was ‘you couldn’t handle this pussy’ and he was ‘oo drat

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ambassador Gkar having a low-key scandalous horn for earth ladies was always amusing, especially when he propositioned Talia for some ‘Telepath Breeding’ and she was ‘you couldn’t handle this pussy’ and he was ‘oo drat

poo poo, I gotta watch Babylon 5.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t see how G’Kar could be such an operator. For all the changes he goes through, he’s a persnickety dork through and through.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Best part was that it was a callback to the pilot episode.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

It was Lyta, not Talia.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t see how G’Kar could be such an operator. For all the changes he goes through, he’s a persnickety dork through and through.

He is both a persnickety dork and a lizard man. That's basically lady crack

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Not Operator posted:

poo poo, I gotta watch Babylon 5.

it's really good in general if you can stand the budget it was run on

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't watch the pilot until after you've watched every other episode.

It was bad.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

hard counter posted:

it's really good in general if you can stand the budget it was run on

It's also 90s as gently caress in every way.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Pick posted:

He is both a persnickety dork and a lizard man. That's basically lady crack

Despite superficial similarities, Narns aren't lizards or reptiloids at all but closer to marsupials oh god why do I still remember this over twenty years later?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Groke posted:

It's also 90s as gently caress in every way.

Apart from being the first SF show with a persistent narrative arc.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Jedit posted:

Apart from being the first SF show with a persistent narrative arc.

Depending on what you mean by "persistent narrative", wouldn't V, Doctor Who, Blake's Seven and Red Dwarf have all beaten it to the punch?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

Depending on what you mean by "persistent narrative", wouldn't V, Doctor Who, Blake's Seven and Red Dwarf have all beaten it to the punch?

Those are not even remotely similar in terms of what Babylon 5 was doing.

Babylon 5 was essentially a 5-season miniseries and there are incredibly few dropped threads. No other show has ever been so tight in its planning and execution. And unlike Lost, Babylon 5 was provably written in its entirety before anything was filmed. It's what other shows pretend to be.

*When I say written I don't mean line-for-line, but outlined on, iirc, over ten thousand index cards with contingency plans for any character leaving at any stage (which happened three times to major characters, including the MAIN CHARACTER, so good drat thing!)

Groke posted:

Despite superficial similarities, Narns aren't lizards or reptiloids at all but closer to marsupials oh god why do I still remember this over twenty years later?

Because there's that whole bit about the Narn pouch like seahorses!

Pick has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean people think of Babylon 5 as having ushered in "other shows like it", but what it ushered in was other shows that sold the line that you could expect things from former episodes to show up again later, not that the writers had any loving idea where things were going. That's also part of why Babylon 5's best episode is the last episode because it so neatly capstones all its content and themes, whereas for most shows, the last episode is the episode where you realize you've been lied to for 3-7 years.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pick posted:

, whereas for most shows, the last episode is the episode where you realize you've been lied to for 3-7 years.
:argh: HIMYM :argh:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Pick posted:

I mean people think of Babylon 5 as having ushered in "other shows like it", but what it ushered in was other shows that sold the line that you could expect things from former episodes to show up again later, not that the writers had any loving idea where things were going. That's also part of why Babylon 5's best episode is the last episode because it so neatly capstones all its content and themes, whereas for most shows, the last episode is the episode where you realize you've been lied to for 3-7 years.

Sleeping in Light and The Deconstruction of Falling Stars were two of the best episodes of TV ever made.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Antioch posted:

Sleeping in Light and The Deconstruction of Falling Stars were two of the best episodes of TV ever made.

:agreed:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Think of how good Babylon 5's last episode must be that nerds don't complain about it. :stare:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

Because there's that whole bit about the Narn pouch like seahorses!

I think that's one of the greater things about B5, the aliens were alien. I wonder if there would have been more non-humanoid alien designs if they had the budget for it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Iron Crowned posted:

I think that's one of the greater things about B5, the aliens were alien. I wonder if there would have been more non-humanoid alien designs if they had the budget for it.

They had an attempt at an insectoid crime lord in the first season, so probably.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Pak'marah toilets :ohdear:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ That's because the Pak'ma'ra are carrion eaters.

mojo1701a posted:

They had an attempt at an insectoid crime lord in the first season, so probably.

That was what they had lying around the props department. The costume was recycled in S1 of Buffy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

Think of how good Babylon 5's last episode must be that nerds don't complain about it. :stare:

It was pretty much a perfect finale for the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I always liked how some aliens couldn't breathe in an oxygen rich atmosphere so they had to wear encounter suits when they were outside of their rooms or ships.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I think that ending could have worked if they’d ended the show by about season 3. By the time the show actually ended they’d written themselves into a totally different corner and just refused to change it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

I mean TNG's final episode was pretty drat good too as a series capstone

except they made a bit of a mistake with the anti-time thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Iron Crowned posted:

I always liked how some aliens couldn't breathe in an oxygen rich atmosphere so they had to wear encounter suits when they were outside of their rooms or ships.

You had a bit of that implied with the Breen in DS9.

There's also the occasional mention of offscreen Starfleet officers with much weirder biologies.

One cool thing about Star Trek TAS is that they went out of their way to use exotic and nonhumanoid alien designs when not mandated by canon, and treated as equals by the Starfleet crew. Of course this is the show where Kirk becomes buddies with Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TAS kicks rear end