Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Chill Penguin posted:

Guys the type is “steel”

it's a new type, it doesn't want to be bogged down by NORMAL steel types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's a metal/bird type

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blaze Dragon posted:

PS+ gives several free games and rather important discounts per month, and you own those free games forever so long as you keep paying the price of one game ($60) every year. It's a really good system even if you don't play online, I got it for XV2 but then I kept it entirely because I'm getting more than my money's worth out of it. Hell, I just started playing Yakuza, a series I was interested in but never could push myself to buy, because I got Kiwami for free.

do you not remember what PS+ was like when it launched

everyone thought it was a joke, because you got a couple classic games no one cared about under the guise that it was supposed to "improve online"

sure, you get kiwami now, but the best thing you had for months after PS+ launched was Wipeout HD

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Finally got around to beating the E4 and Mewtwo. My party was Persian, Parasect, Hitmonlee, Vaporeon, Polygon, and Charizard.

Surprise MVP was Persian. Fake Out + Slash kills a whole slew of things. And she solo'd Mewtwo(!) despite being 15 levels lower(!) by tough'ing it out at 1 hp three times in a row because she loves me so much. Who knew the weakness of gene-sliced psychic monsters is the common household cat?

Now to try and complete my pokedex as I never could as a kid.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I'm not sure what you're :argh:ing here? Other than the fact that one spawned offscreen?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure what you're :argh:ing here? Other than the fact that one spawned offscreen?

The annoying part of hunting shiny dratini is that it's easy to accidentally go back on to land, especially if a Tentacool spawns right next to the shore like that

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Takoluka posted:

do you not remember what PS+ was like when it launched

everyone thought it was a joke, because you got a couple classic games no one cared about under the guise that it was supposed to "improve online"

sure, you get kiwami now, but the best thing you had for months after PS+ launched was Wipeout HD

I actually don't remember that at all because I got my PS4 a bit over a year ago and never paid attention to it before.

That said Sony clearly improved upon it, while Nintendo is not exactly well-known for keeping up with the current age (except on the poo poo they absolutely shouldn't, like physical DLC) so I don't expect this to improve at all. If it does, great, I'll feel my 20 dollars were worth something after I get tired of Smashing online...which I doubt will happen, but still.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

They promised SNES games back in the day so I fully expect SNES games to come down the line and that alone will make it worth the price of admission.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Blaze Dragon posted:

I actually don't remember that at all because I got my PS4 a bit over a year ago and never paid attention to it before.

That said Sony clearly improved upon it, while Nintendo is not exactly well-known for keeping up with the current age (except on the poo poo they absolutely shouldn't, like physical DLC) so I don't expect this to improve at all. If it does, great, I'll feel my 20 dollars were worth something after I get tired of Smashing online...which I doubt will happen, but still.

Conversely: The playstation classic is apparently garbage, whereas the SNES and NES classics are fine.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

It is kind of ridiculous that stuff already available on the Wii, WiiU, and 3ds VC at least the first party ones aren't already on the Switch Online. I understand maybe N64 might have some difficulties with mapping the controls but there's no reason they need to be trickling out NES games as if they're re-building these drat things by hand or whatever. I'm honestly kind of considering buying a WiiU just for VC because I don't know if I want to wait 4-5 years for Nintendo to get their poo poo together.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I mean do that if you want but just taking the 27 NES games available on Switch by the end of the month, getting those on WiiU would cost $135

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Really more interested in the N64 and other titles. Between what's already on the Switch Online, NES/SNES Classic, and what I've purchased on the 3DS, I'm pretty much all NES/SNESed out.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chill Penguin posted:

Guys the type is “steel”

Metal-type doesn't have Steel's resistances, but all sound-based moves now do 250% more damage, even if they're non-damaging moves, like Growl, Howl, and Roar

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I just picked up Let's Go Eeevee and I'm having quite a bit of fun getting through the game, started my playthrough yesterday so haven't yet been exposed to most of the game's systems.

I know that breeding is not in this game, but is there any replacement for getting breeder-only moves? For example, I want a Vaporeon with Wish, but I'm not sure how I would eventually do that.

Maybe I'll find out as I progress through the game.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Unless there are events in the future or some type of connectivity with Bank/main Pokemon games, no.

I actually lost to a gym leader, which hasn't happened in quite a while. I've been keeping my team out of my capturing to avoid getting overleveled and she steamrolled me.

Despite the pre-release criticism, this game can be challenging if you take some modest steps to make sure you don't get overleveled.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback, I have finished the story of Ultra Sun for now (just did Episode RR). I've been doing some reading on which game to play next, people seem to suggest that Black 2 has the most gameplay/content? Is this true?

My question is, would you recommend playing Black 2 first then moving on to ORAS later on? Or should I skip Black 2 and just play ORAS and be done with it for a while? Graphics don't worry me too much so long as the depth/gameplay/content is there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Black 2/White 2 are direct sequels of Black/White. If you like or care about storylines at all, I think Black White / Black2 White 2 are the strongest storylines for Pokemon and would recommend starting there before playing their sequels.

Black/White only has that region's Pokemon until post-E4. Some people hated that but I really liked it. With so many games in each generation usually allowing you to catch early Kanto Pokemon...well, early, it forced longtime players a bit out of their comfort zones.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I played Pokémon Ash Gray recently, a rom hack that works on phones and includes events from basically every episode of the Indigo league anime. It’s pretty fascinating how many fragments of old episodes I only ever saw once or twice stayed in my brain after all these years. An event would start and I’d be like “oh yeahh I remember this”

It’s also cool how the locale of Kanto is tweaked to resemble the path the characters take in the show. Very different from the original games.
The creator was originally going to include all the Orange Islands, which is like a cool pre-Alola , but their computer crashed and they lost everything so the events stop after the second movie. You can also do extra training to deviate from the anime plot and become champion, but following the games normal pace without copious grinding basically ensures you will lose when the game wants you to so it fits the plot.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
So I tried just doing a long distance internet trade at random in pokemon lets go by putting in the pikachu pikachu pikachu code. We ended up trading straight across for all version exclusives and trade evolutions. It really helps that you can see what pokemon your trading partner's cursor is hovering on. That was like... shockingly fruitful, It's gonna be even easier than I thought to fill out the pokedex.

edit: Oh, I'm still missing Mankey I guess.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Is anyone having trouble getting a Khanghaskhan? I can help. :smug:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

http://nintendocafe.com/post/180775169541/pok%C3%A9mon-generation-8-speaking-to-japanese

quote:

Speaking to Japanese publication Famitsu, which has a massive 20 page feature on Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu, Pokémon Let’s Go Eevee and Quest, features an interview with The Pokémon Company CEO, Tsunekazu Ishihara who provided some information about the upcoming Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch. Tsunekazu Ishihara reconfirmed that this game is due for release in the second half of 2019, will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, that it’ll be completely new aimed at experienced fans, not like Pokémon Let’s Go Pikachu & Let’s Go Eevee and states that it will contain many brand new Pokémon!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

god bless

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

Really more interested in the N64 and other titles. Between what's already on the Switch Online, NES/SNES Classic, and what I've purchased on the 3DS, I'm pretty much all NES/SNESed out.

:same:

If I could get some N64 mario cart, pokemon snap, and a few other things I'd probably drop the 20bux for a year. What I saw of it during the free trial though...eh. Most of the NES games that were up I either wasn't interested in or I'd already played them so much I had no desire to boot them up again for a long while. I used my trial to complete let's go pokedex and that'll be it until they do something better with it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Well I've just about done it, except for Mankey and Mew, I've got the original 151 in my pokedex. Anyone have an extra mankey?

edit: Got it! Just need Mew and Melmetal now.

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 5, 2018

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
finally,,,, pokemon snap HD

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I caught a shiny machop! He's a machoke now, can anyone help me evolve this guy

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I knew the shiny charm boosted your shiny chance, but I didn't think it quadrupled it. :psyduck:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Please. Please at the very least keep no more random encounters and accessing the box anywhere. Please... I can't go back. I can't...

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

AzureSkye posted:

:same:

If I could get some N64 mario cart, pokemon snap, and a few other things I'd probably drop the 20bux for a year. What I saw of it during the free trial though...eh. Most of the NES games that were up I either wasn't interested in or I'd already played them so much I had no desire to boot them up again for a long while. I used my trial to complete let's go pokedex and that'll be it until they do something better with it.

I would like to play gamecube games on my switch.

(Yeah I know you can do that via :filez: but Id rather not risk bricking things)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Macaluso posted:

Please. Please at the very least keep no more random encounters and accessing the box anywhere. Please... I can't go back. I can't...

this

or, well, mostly this - if I had to choose between random encounters (bad) with the old capture system (not great) and avoidable encounters (good) with the new capture system (absolutely awful), I'd choose the former

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I just spent nearly a week hunting for a shiny timid Gastly to only find a single shiny Chansey. I have lived in the Pokémon Tower and now I will die in the Pokémon Tower.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just watched a video of all the pokemon walking behind you in Let's Go, why is Haunter is so big and why isn't Gengar bigger?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

I just watched a video of all the pokemon walking behind you in Let's Go, why is Haunter is so big and why isn't Gengar bigger?
Haunter
Gas Pokémon
5'03" / 1.6m

Gengar
Shadow Pokémon
4'11" / 1.5m

I can't answer the why for you, why is anything?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Those 10cm make all the difference I guess.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dizz posted:

finally,,,, pokemon snap HD

God I hope so.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bleck posted:

this

or, well, mostly this - if I had to choose between random encounters (bad) with the old capture system (not great) and avoidable encounters (good) with the new capture system (absolutely awful), I'd choose the former

I still think letting you pick between Throw Balls, Fight, and Flee once an encounter begins is the best way of handling it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't want to attack innocent wild Pokemon anymore

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Haunter
Gas Pokémon
5'03" / 1.6m

Gengar
Shadow Pokémon
4'11" / 1.5m

I can't answer the why for you, why is anything?

Haunter is basically a cloud while Gengar collapses into a form with real mass, I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Bee posted:

I still think letting you pick between Throw Balls, Fight, and Flee once an encounter begins is the best way of handling it.

Throw balls (everyone gains little XP, no EV impact), Train (pokemon that battle gain more XP + better/guaranteed chance at a capture, EV gains), or Flee and leave the pokemon alone. Preferably as a toggle or options so you can just focus on capturing or training as you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Throw balls (everyone gains little XP, no EV impact), Train (pokemon that battle gain more XP + better/guaranteed chance at a capture, EV gains), or Flee and leave the pokemon alone. Preferably as a toggle or options so you can just focus on capturing or training as you need.

I agree, this would probably be a good middle-ground.

Also, while the loss of HMs is good, I think it's too bad that moves like Teleport and Dig no longer have an overworld effect.