Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

mdemone posted:

China already executes drug dealers and is pretty drat close to what Duterte is doing, they're just more discreet about it.

They've got one of the most successful organ harvesting operations on the planet, courtesy of a never-ending supply of low level drug offenders and the like that find their next state assignments serving as the low run of an organ supply chain for the highest bidders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just want to blast The Coup and overrun state legislatures that are undertaking non-democratic actions

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Ogmius815 posted:

Jesus Christ I hate Ross Douthat.

c'mon, it's moderate, it's centrist, and it's yearning for the good old days when the unwashed masses knew their place. what's not to love.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

i am harry posted:

I'm a British tattooer in Denver. :confused:

It's a King of the Hill drag.

Basically your dad might be Cotton Hill (& killed fiddy men) but you ain't him and for fucks sake if it's not a statement aimed at you sit down, don't holler cuz you feel hit

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Sometimes I watch video of foreign governments going nuts and whipping each other with microphones in their parliament houses or whatever and I’m like

Maybe we should try that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the les moonves report is a doozy:

quote:

Although the reporters did conclude that Moonves’ sexual misconduct came to an end in 2004 when he married Julie Chen, knowledge of Moonves’ behavior was still widespread enough in 2018 that multiple employees told the investigators about another CBS employee who was believed to be “on call” to provide Moonves with oral sex, and thus unfireable. The woman in question did not respond to investigators’ requests for an interview, but Moonves admitted to receiving what he described as consensual oral sex from her in his office, despite the fact that she was his subordinate. (The fact that Moonves’ behavior was apparently an open secret casts a terrible light on the board’s initial decision to stand by Moonves until his conduct had been investigated; Moonves didn’t resign until September, after a second round of sexual misconduct allegations.) Through his lawyer, Moonves reiterated his denial of all allegations of nonconsensual sex. A spokesperson for CBS’s board told the New York Times that the investigation was still in progress, and no conclusions had yet been reached.

The upshot of the draft report, which documents what James B. Stewart describes as an “epic failure of corporate governance,” may actually be good news for CBS, at least in the short term: Moonves, who resigned, was contractually entitled to a $140 million severance payment, which was dropped to $120 million when CBS promised to donate $20 million of it to #MeToo movement–affiliated organizations after Moonves resigned. If the final investigation concludes that Moonves could be terminated for cause, CBS can refuse to pay his severance. That’s exactly the conclusion the draft report reaches, pointing to “willful misfeasance and violation of the company’s sexual harassment policy.” In practical terms, here’s what that kind of misfeasance meant for female CBS employees, according to the draft report:

[Moonves] received oral sex from at least 4 CBS employees under circumstances that sound transactional and improper to the extent that there was no hint of any relationship, romance, or reciprocity (especially given what we know about his history of more or less forced oral sex with women with whom he has no ongoing relationship).

If that weren’t enough, the report also concludes that despite a contractual obligation to cooperate with the investigation, Moonves conducted what sounds like the saddest cover-up in the world, giving investigators his son’s iPad instead of his own and deleting texts from manager Marv Dauer. Dauer did not delete his end of the exchange, and the New York Times reported last week on what certainly looks like a plan to get new work for one of Dauer’s clients, actress Bonnie Phillips, in exchange for her silence about an incident in 1995 in which Moonves allegedly exposed himself to her during a business meeting, then forced her to give him oral sex.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/les-moonves-sexual-misconduct-report-cbs.html

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Koalas Massacre posted:

It's a King of the Hill drag.

Basically your dad might be Cotton Hill (& killed fiddy men) but you ain't him and for fucks sake if it's not a statement aimed at you sit down, don't holler cuz you feel hit

Please. :rolleyes: I'm not a nazi killer. The point is some of us have direct links to them like you have direct family links to the generational racial American oppression you feel.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you think 'violent ethno-nationalism flourishes because the majority group thinks they'll be safe' is some kinda crazy statement please just try reading literally any history book.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm sorry that you're so fragile my statement aimed at white Americans clocked you across a whole rear end ocean

Like if you can't even parse my koth drag because of the cultural connotations MAYBE this is just a conversation you don't need to participate in

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can't the incoming governor or state government just say "gently caress you, we are doing it anyway" when these fucks are out of power? It's not like they actually care about rules.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Koalas Massacre posted:

I'm sorry that you're so fragile my statement aimed at white Americans clocked you across a whole rear end ocean

Like if you can't even parse my koth drag because of the cultural connotations MAYBE this is just a conversation you don't need to participate in

What's difficult to understand? Several white americans have veteran grandparents or immigrant grandparents who experienced Real Nazis. There are lots and lots of people who know their threat.

"Women are bad drivers. But if this doesn't apply to you, because you're a good woman driver, be quiet."

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 5, 2018

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TulliusCicero posted:

Can't the incoming governor or state government just say "gently caress you, we are doing it anyway" when these fucks are out of power? It's not like they actually care about rules.

Well Democrats have yet to figure out how to pierce the decorum force field

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

i am harry posted:

Please. :rolleyes: I'm not a nazi killer. The point is some of us have direct links to them like you have direct family links to the generational racial American oppression you feel.

Stop being such a loving baby, goddamn

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1070317124491534341
USPOL Winter: this is not a funeral, this a day of celebration

USPOL Winter: Ceci n'est pas un enterrement

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i am harry posted:

What's difficult to understand? Several white americans have veteran grandparents or immigrant grandparents who experienced Real Nazis.

"Women are bad drivers. But if this doesn't apply to you, because you're a good woman driver, be quiet."

no, dig up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

haveblue posted:

I'd be OK with a generation of rich people who cannot step outside of carefully controlled environments without horrendous breathing complications.

You don't, like, lose your tolerance for CO2 by being exposed to less of it. All it would mean is that people who get to go to school or work in environments with lower CO2 concentrations would think more clearly and in general perform better at cognitive tasks while in those environments. So, for example, you'd probably see ever so slightly higher aggregate standardized test scores from those schools.

Edit- To be clear, this isn't a thing where CO2 makes you stupid over time. Being exposed to high concentrations of CO2 literally just affects your cognitive abilities while you're being exposed. So the fact that there are indoor schools in the US right now where CO2 concentrations are in the 2000-3000ppm range is actually a huge issue.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also there's a lot of poo poo in these emails that's making it increasingly clear that Cambridge Analytica being allowed to steal the data of everyone's friends was a feature, not a bug

if anything, the only thing that went wrong is that they were some nobody who did it without paying facebook for it, rather than the big developers that were directly authorized

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1070341826870214661

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

eke out posted:

no, dig up

Yeah look I'm totally not dragging anyone, just pointing out that it's possible to read a comment from several different positions and just because the speaker and the listener mean different things, the end result of misreading a statement can still feel valid.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

i am harry posted:

LMAO my maternal grandfather fought in dubya dubya too and I think my paternal did as well.

There were black soldiers/companies. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen

Again, you are not qualified to have this discussion

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

What's difficult to understand? Several white americans have veteran grandparents or immigrant grandparents who experienced Real Nazis. There are lots and lots of people who know their threat.

Dude, you're looking for a fight for no good reason. :chillpill:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TulliusCicero posted:

in both Michigan and Wisconsin, while the governors will be Democrats, legislative control did not go to the Democrats

and no they cant short of throwing getting bunch of judicial stays to run out the clock

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

i am harry posted:

my dude you get that a not-minor chunk of those nazi killers/fleers themselves still actively vote for white nationalists or what

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

TulliusCicero posted:

If Dems won control of the legislature then it wouldn't be an issue, but Republicans held control. The reason Republicans are doing this in the lame duck is they need the republican governor's signature before he's replaced with a democrat, who would veto.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

i am harry posted:

Sweety: saying "#notall_____" is you looking like an rear end in a top hat. If you're really part of the "#notall____" brigade than you get to kindly sit back and feel smug while the ________'s squirm. You don't have to squirm: you're #notall_____ right?

So don't squirm: some people enjoy making others squirm instead of just passing it on by or trying to educate.

#notallsquirmers

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It's really frustrating just how petty this poo poo is. How hard will it be for Dems to just flip the stuff back?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

friendbot2000 posted:

Well, to be fair, Americans have washed the KKK and their breed of homegrown fascists of any animus towards other Caucasian groups like Catholics, the Irish, Polish, Italians, everyone in existence and reframed their historical context as only hating brown people. I suspect a significant portion of the electorate has no idea that the KKK targeted white people(they reeeeeally hated the Catholics) as much as they targeted black people. In short, if you are "other" in these cretins eyes, then you have always been a target. American Textbooks are written in a way that really undercuts this and that does an injustice to fighting fascists because it leaves people with an out because "they aren't being targeted."

Yes, this. I had great uncles and great grandfathers that killed Nazis and imperialist Japanese, but at the same time, even tho I'm white, I'm ethnically mostly Irish and Ukrainian, which are both groups that were out down and oppressed not too long ago.

An attack against one person's humanity is an attack against us all.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Looking at Jimmy Carter right now and realizing he could easily do more push ups than Trump as could Ginsburg

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My father's father fought in World War 2 and my father fought in line at a Steely Dan concert.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Koalas Massacre posted:

LMAO my maternal grandfather fought in dubya dubya too and I think my paternal did as well.

There were black soldiers/companies. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Airmen

Again, you are not qualified to have this discussion

Great then we're still on the same side and chill out with the demeaning statements to everyone that conveniently don't include anyone you don't want them to include.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

It's really frustrating just how petty this poo poo is. How hard will it be for Dems to just flip the stuff back?

the republicans will still control the legislature (gop lost popular vote in both michigan and wisconsin but retained a majority) so they can't do poo poo really.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Looking at Jimmy Carter right now and realizing he could easily do more push ups than Trump as could Ginsburg

Ginsburg could probably bench-press Trump. That woman is a freak of nature and I think her skeleton may be coated in adamantium.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Thalantos posted:

Yes, this. I had great uncles and great grandfathers that killed Nazis and imperialist Japanese, but at the same time, even tho I'm white, I'm ethnically mostly Irish and Ukrainian, which are both groups that were out down and oppressed not too long ago.

An attack against one person's humanity is an attack against us all.

If they don't control the legislatures, impossible. It'll have to go through the 7th Circuit court which is something like 9-2 Republican.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Ginsburg could probably bench-press Trump. That woman is a freak of nature and I think her skeleton may be coated in adamantium.

Vibranium, dumbass. :colbert:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK1DCWrW02s

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/MuhFreezePeach/status/1070345688024780800

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Your Taint posted:

If they don't control the legislatures, impossible. It'll have to go through the 7th Circuit court which is something like 9-2 Republican.

Depends, it would probably go to the state courts and Federal courts really really don't like to stick their noses into state court decisions involving state laws and constitutions. If the the GOP is/was sloppy and the passage violated any open meetings requirements or the like the poo poo might maybe could get struck down.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

There's a problem with old white men

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

the republicans will still control the legislature (gop lost popular vote in both michigan and wisconsin but retained a majority) so they can't do poo poo really.

What if we were to, and I'm just spit balling here, actually do something and protest or just ignore the loving draconian rules like the GOP does every drat minute of every single day? Like this insane voter fraud thing in NC where there are incredulously trying to turn it back on democrats, where they were caught red handed.

Like what is the GOP going to do? "How dare you show up at my house and protest me completely ignoring the will of the people!"

I'm so sick of these fucks just ignoring rules with no consequences, and we have to actually get things passed by being meticulous rules lawyers, and even then they just ignore it because they don't actually loving care.

The GOP is that whiney kid at recess when you are playing who insists his character "can never be beaten because he has a shield that counteracts anything you do." gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

At least I have never been as uncomfortable as this row of people.