Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Just stop posting and this won't ever be an issue.

I don't get the point of trying to play a passive-aggressive game up until I get annoyed enough to say a swear word or something else vaguely probeable for the mods. It doesn't come off as a clever ruse, Kai, it just makes you look like a loving manchild.

My dude, I promise, I'll just stop shitposting. I genuinely don't want to upset people to the point where they're fuming about me long after they turn off the computer, and that somehow seems to have become the case. I promise to reign it in, partially out of genuine desire for contrition and partially because I'm pretty sure at this rate someone here will eventually get angry enough about this to try to stab me IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Plutonis posted:

I am not. I am correct, however.

Most overrated is at least colorable, but come on, Piers Anthony yet lives. As do legions of fanfic scribblers.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Thranguy posted:

Most overrated is at least colorable, but come on, Piers Anthony yet lives. As do legions of fanfic scribblers.

Oh wow, he's published in 2017, even.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh wow, he's published in 2017, even.
Why do you even comment? I honestly have no idea what you think you're accomplishing.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 4, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

I don't get the point of trying to play a passive-aggressive game up until I get annoyed enough to say a swear word or something else vaguely probeable for the mods. It doesn't come off as a clever ruse, Kai, it just makes you look like a loving manchild.

I'm not being passive-aggressive you idiot, I think you're the worst poster in this subforum by a longshot and I genuinely think you should stop posting. Or keep getting banned like you seem to be so good at, either way gently caress off and don't come back.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I'm not being passive-aggressive you idiot, I think you're the worst poster in this subforum by a longshot and I genuinely think you should stop posting. Or keep getting banned like you seem to be so good at, either way gently caress off and don't come back.

You're literally trying to bait me into getting into another argument with you, so you can whine to Ettin, and then Ettin will punish me over a fight you started. Rinse and repeat. You're either passive-aggressive or you're literally loving twelve, but I can't really fault you for it, it really works.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Why do you even comment? I honestly have no idea what you think you're accomplishing.

Oh for gently caress's sake

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

You're literally trying to bait me into getting into another argument with you, so you can whine to Ettin, and then Ettin will punish me over a fight you started. Rinse and repeat. You're either passive-aggressive or you're literally loving twelve, but I can't really fault you for it, it really works.

I don't have to bait you into anything, your shittiness is self-evident enough. gently caress off, don't come back.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't have to bait you into anything, your shittiness is self-evident enough. gently caress off, don't come back.

I didn't break any rules this time, or start any derails. You started having a fit, and I'm responding to it. Sure, yes, I'm going to get punished for your bullshit, whatever, but honestly I don't think being probed or banned or permabanned from a dwindling Web 1.0 relic run by a racist is such a big deal anyways, honestly.

If you didn't want to have a screaming tantrum over this poo poo, you would have put me on ignore years ago and that would've been it. You goddamned manchild.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

I didn't break any rules this time, or start any derails. You started having a fit, and I'm responding to it. Sure, yes, I'm going to get punished for your bullshit, whatever, but honestly I don't think being probed or banned or permabanned from a dwindling Web 1.0 relic run by a racist is such a big deal anyways, honestly.

If you didn't want to have a screaming tantrum over this poo poo, you would have put me on ignore years ago and that would've been it. You goddamned manchild.

If you didn't care about this forum the way you insistently claim you wouldn't keep coming back here to try and act like you're so over everyone's poo poo when it's pathetically obvious you aren't. Go tell the admins to permaban your account then and find somewhere else where the people can properly appreciate you. Either way gently caress off and don't come back.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
All of you are being buttheads from different angles, to be honest.

In somewhat more on-topic discussion... RPGSports is still a thing, shockingly. Not sure whether they improved on it or people on Twitch will just watch anything.

https://twitter.com/RPGSportsTV/status/1069244902683394049

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Was their first season literally one game?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Any chance season two will star actual TTRPG players, playing a game that's both interesting and fast-paced? Any chance at all?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Any chance season two will star actual TTRPG players, playing a game that's both interesting and fast-paced? Any chance at all?
You're really asking for the sun and the moon here. Just not recruiting a racist as their star player would be a step up from season 1.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Was their first season literally one game?

It was four teams across four(?) rounds, looks like. Plus a ton of charity games.

Team Beholder vs Team Tarrasque:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/338067736

Team Kobold vs Team Mindflayer (aka the one with dudes cosplaying as Miami Vice enemies + Monokuma):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/338069262

Grand Finals:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/343274269

Championship Match:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/344345231

I don't have the time to see if any of the other teams or DMs knew the rules better than the Kobold vs Mindflayer fight, but I'd love to hear someone report on them.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

If you didn't care about this forum the way you insistently claim you wouldn't keep coming back here to try and act like you're so over everyone's poo poo when it's pathetically obvious you aren't.

It's ten loving dollars, man, not a blood pact or a covenant with god. It's not in any way a meaningful financial investment, no matter how people try to spin it, it's not something that provokes an emotional investment either.

Why the hell do you care this much? It's a loving internet forum. It's not a lifestyle choice, or a political party, or a religion. I'm not sure why you're so zealous in protecting its good name, it's still just a website. Holy poo poo man, could you imagine being this determined to protect the sacred honor of Fark?

I don't hate SA, really. It's less interesting to me, sure, but man, it's like this is also the only positive thing going in some people's lives and I don't understand this degree of emotional investment.

Arthil posted:

All of you are being buttheads from different angles, to be honest.

Sorry, man. It'll clear up for at least another month soon, I'm pretty sure.

Wasn't D&D tournament play a legitimate thing? Like where groups would try to clear a specific module in the shortest span of time possible?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bedlamdan posted:

It's ten loving dollars, man, not a blood pact or a covenant with god. It's not in any way a meaningful financial investment, no matter how people try to spin it, it's not something that provokes an emotional investment either.

Why the hell do you care this much? It's a loving internet forum. It's not a lifestyle choice, or a political party, or a religion. I'm not sure why you're so zealous in protecting its good name, it's still just a website. Holy poo poo man, could you imagine being this determined to protect the sacred honor of Fark?

I don't hate SA, really. It's less interesting to me, sure, but man, it's like this is also the only positive thing going in some people's lives and I don't understand this degree of emotional investment.

I don't give nearly the poo poo about SA that you seem to think I do, not am I invested in its honor. I think that you, personally, are an insufferable rear end in a top hat. I think you're very much aware that you're an insufferable rear end in a top hat which is why you keep coming back here over and over to poo poo the place up after being repeatedly told to gently caress off. Trying to spin this like I'm going to bat for SA's good name is just another example of your disingenuous horseshit and nobody's falling for it, you're just an rear end in a top hat and I'm going to continue to call you out as one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Will you two please just put each other on ignore or something? This slapfight is really embarrassing for the both of you

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

At this point I'm pretty sure it's not a bit, it really is just a complete lack of self-awareness, and a truly staggering level of ignorance.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't have the time to see if any of the other teams or DMs knew the rules better than the Kobold vs Mindflayer fight, but I'd love to hear someone report on them.
I think there could be something to streamed tournament style play, I just don't think the folks running RPG Sports know how to do it.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 4, 2018

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

One of the most frustrating issues with forums is that even setting someone to ignore still requires a degree of extra scrolling, especially when the idiot will post quotably idiotic screeds and then pretend anyone who replies to say they find them painfully tiresome is "obsessed" or "carelording" about someone who is being a forum metaphorical incontinent hippo in a narrow hallway.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I don't give nearly the poo poo about SA that you seem to think I do, not am I invested in its honor.

Then stop having a goddamned fit every time someone says something even vaguely negative about the forums. It's not just me, I've noticed that any time someone else brings up the fact that we've got a history of multiple predators on the site's staff, you act as if that's unfair or mean and that the mature thing to do is just to keep on pretending that it never happened or that it wasn't really a big deal.

I wouldn't poo poo on you so hard if you didn't act like there was nothing else going on with you except for a desire to hump Lowtax's leg to completion.

Kai Tave posted:

I think that you, personally, are an insufferable rear end in a top hat. I think you're very much aware that you're an insufferable rear end in a top hat which is why you keep coming back here over and over to poo poo the place up after being repeatedly told to gently caress off.

Man, I really wasn't even trying to start anything! You managed this one on your own.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Xiahou Dun posted:

https://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html

It's arguably more like a bad break-up thing but it really doesn't look good.

Like even the most charitable version, he's not a rapist or whatever, but he's definitely a huge rear end in a top hat.

And I've got every one of his books since I found him in god drat middle school. :(

Ahhhhhhh gently caress :(

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is there confirmation that she's talking about him? I don't know much about Mieville, is it just reading between the lines?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I just don't understand why the three of them can't take their stupid slapfight to PMs or something.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bedlamdan posted:

Wasn't D&D tournament play a legitimate thing? Like where groups would try to clear a specific module in the shortest span of time possible?

Still is, actually. I know people who organize tournaments every GenCon.

Naturally, RPGSports is trying to shoehorn MOBA/MMO arena type direct PvP into D&D rules, instead of going with a tried-and-true method of competitive D&D.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Arivia posted:

Zak S you are a piece of poo poo and your “progressive nature” is just covering for your actual regressive views and how you are actually an abusive rapist. Kthxbai

I've been pretty tired of people writing messages for some weirdo lurker that nobody else wants to read for a while now, and I think I'm done with them now! From now on I'm going to start probating. Just because some guy can't get off unless he's reading SA doesn't mean I need to hear about it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kavak posted:

Is there confirmation that she's talking about him? I don't know much about Mieville, is it just reading between the lines?

Yes, in other places she later confirmed she anonymised that post after his lawyers contacted her.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Well, the Megaverse Gigathread has fallen into the archives, so I figure this can go here:

20 Years of the Rifter! Woo! Christmas celebration! Black Friday sale went really well!

PS After the next couple issues the Rifter will go on a 2+ year hiatus.

Was the Rifter the only thing they've made for the past two decades that actually hit deadlines? I still expect Palladium to limp along until Kevin finally sells his empty warehouse on eBay.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Was the Rifter the only thing they've made for the past two decades that actually hit deadlines? I still expect Palladium to limp along until Kevin finally sells his empty warehouse on eBay.

More or less, though even it fell into some lateness since I wrote that first page of the Gigathread (one issue was double-sized on account of it, as it "encompassed" two issues). But Wayne Smith, the editor, is the most professional guy at Palladium from every account I've heard, and kept that thing running on time in defiance of Palladium's (lack of) standards.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bedlamdan posted:

Then stop having a goddamned fit every time someone says something even vaguely negative about the forums. It's not just me, I've noticed that any time someone else brings up the fact that we've got a history of multiple predators on the site's staff, you act as if that's unfair or mean and that the mature thing to do is just to keep on pretending that it never happened or that it wasn't really a big deal.

I wouldn't poo poo on you so hard if you didn't act like there was nothing else going on with you except for a desire to hump Lowtax's leg to completion.

Man, I really wasn't even trying to start anything! You managed this one on your own.

Sir, this is an Arby's.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Sir, this is an Arby's.

I’ll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Is it just me or is the fact that Palladium even still has a warehouse actually one of the things you can point to as a terrible business decision of theirs?

I find it hard to get a handle on just how large their customer base is, given that Palladium-inspired gaming almost seems to be its own parallel scene of people who are really into Palladium poo poo, but I can't imagine it's much bigger than, say, Chaosium's fanbase (particularly given how recent debacles may have driven customers away). And one of the first things the new regime at Chaosium did was to shift away from having their own warehouse to a more distributed fulfillment system.

Plus I can't believe their more niche supplements and stuff sell well enough to make it worth making large print runs of them.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's also not an empty warehouse because, IIRC, Kevin believes firmly in maintaining a physical stock of every book.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

It's also not an empty warehouse because, IIRC, Kevin believes firmly in maintaining a physical stock of every book.
Which I guess made sense in the boom years, but unless the Palladium subculture is way larger and much more loyal than I think it is I can't believe it's worth keeping every single drat book in stock at all times. Core books, sure, obviously, but Rifts Worldbook 231: I Guess This Dumb Bullshit Also Exists? Perfect PoD fodder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Which I guess made sense in the boom years, but unless the Palladium subculture is way larger and much more loyal than I think it is I can't believe it's worth keeping every single drat book in stock at all times. Core books, sure, obviously, but Rifts Worldbook 231: I Guess This Dumb Bullshit Also Exists? Perfect PoD fodder.

I think Kevin feels it makes him more authentic, even if the open house visits to the warehouse all give off the vibe of being somewhat bleak affairs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I gotta admit, masses of unsold splatbooks is the authentic over-reaching RPG experience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LashLightning posted:

I gotta admit, masses of unsold splatbooks is the authentic over-reaching RPG experience.

yea it doesn't get more legit RPG than looking out at a big pile of unsold splat and just sighing sadly to yourself every few days

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Warthur posted:

Is it just me or is the fact that Palladium even still has a warehouse actually one of the things you can point to as a terrible business decision of theirs?

I find it hard to get a handle on just how large their customer base is, given that Palladium-inspired gaming almost seems to be its own parallel scene of people who are really into Palladium poo poo, but I can't imagine it's much bigger than, say, Chaosium's fanbase (particularly given how recent debacles may have driven customers away). And one of the first things the new regime at Chaosium did was to shift away from having their own warehouse to a more distributed fulfillment system.

Plus I can't believe their more niche supplements and stuff sell well enough to make it worth making large print runs of them.

I was gonna suggest they move to PoD but then I realized that might be drat near impossible for them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've talked before about how there a few game stores near me that have stacks of unsold 3.x third party books they're never going to unload because they still charge full price for them. RPG stocking all about the sunk cost fallacy on physical books.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've talked before about how there a few game stores near me that have stacks of unsold 3.x third party books they're never going to unload because they still charge full price for them. RPG stocking all about the sunk cost fallacy on physical books.

our local game store has shelf full of 3e stuff at full price, but marked all the 4e books down to $10 when 5e was announced. i snapped up the ones i didn't own already and my other players have been picking off what's left ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I love this thinking, that someday someone is going to wander into The Android's Dungeon and see that shelfworn copy of Mongoose's THE QUINTESSENTIAL RANGER II crammed on the back shelf and be like "Holy poo poo! I've been looking for this one for ages! And it's still just list price! It's my lucky fuckin' day!".