Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I just wonder what the thinking was behind putting it in so many cities that already have NFL teams. Like what crowd are they hoping to attract? I can't imagine "NFL fans" will care enough when they already have real teams in the city.

I'll go to a Dallas XFL team game before I pay to see the cowboys. I mean if it's reasonably priced. Cowboys tickets ain't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I just wonder what the thinking was behind putting it in so many cities that already have NFL teams. Like what crowd are they hoping to attract? I can't imagine "NFL fans" will care enough when they already have real teams in the city.

The same crowd. I thought that was obvious when they said their season would start after NFL playoffs

It's a way of getting some version of pro football in the area in some fashion basically year-round, which isn't a terrible concept until you consider the quality and history of XFL, and the fact the brains behind it are still behind this iteration

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

blugu64 posted:

I'll go to a Dallas XFL team game before I pay to see the cowboys. I mean if it's reasonably priced. Cowboys tickets ain't cheap.

yea this has to be the goal, right? Get in where they know people want football, undercut the NFL prices.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

exploded mummy posted:

almost every major city or metropolitan area in the US has a professional football team within city limits or within a 2 or 3 hour drive

Seems like they could get more fan buy-in if they were putting the teams in places that were still fairly well populated, but don't have much else to call their own. For example

-Austin
-Raleigh/Durham
-Portland
-Columbus
-Oklahoma City
-Mexico City

Or just look at where most of the AAF teams are located.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

sexpig by night posted:

yea this has to be the goal, right? Get in where they know people want football, undercut the NFL prices.

I also go to the local arena football games sometimes because it's fun and really trashy. Halftime was dudes in a quad shooting a tshirt cannon at the crowd, a human contortionist, and a plate spinner and they handed out mini footballs to the crowd to try and knock over the plates. A+ money well spent.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

blugu64 posted:

I also go to the local arena football games sometimes because it's fun and really trashy. Halftime was dudes in a quad shooting a tshirt cannon at the crowd, a human contortionist, and a plate spinner and they handed out mini footballs to the crowd to try and knock over the plates. A+ money well spent.

arena football rules, yea. Like, if the XFL's plan is to be the lower rent NFL I'm in, that'd be a genuinely good thing to do for everyone.

It's Vince, though, so he's probably gonna on That Prestige Hunt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is the Seattle team just there for other teams to hate? Because no one in Seattle is going to give a drat until they make the playoffs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
As someone in the Philly area I’m sure as hell not going to root for a DC or New York team. Welp no XFL for me other than lolling at it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can't imagine how you could look at the Chargers and think your football would draw a single dime in LA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

VJeff posted:

I can't imagine how you could look at the Chargers and think your football would draw a single dime in LA.

Does KISS still own the Arena League team? I saw an episode of the reality show and they were something like 1-11 at that point in the season.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Does KISS still own the Arena League team? I saw an episode of the reality show and they were something like 1-11 at that point in the season.

2 years after that season they made playoffs!

and then completely disintegrated

quote:

The Kiss lost to the Gladiators 56-52 in front of 4,692 fans in San Diego. [7] Shortly after the game, team captain Donavan Morgan announced his retirement.

The Kiss ceased answering their phones during the 2016 offseason and its roster was liquidated that October. In a long-form piece released in Sports Illustrated in April 2017, it was revealed that the band had pulled its support from the team shortly after the end of the season, privately stating they had done all they could to keep the franchise alive. Minority owners attempted to find new investors to keep the franchise afloat but were unsuccessful.[8]

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
No Hartford team? It’s practically Vince’s backyard and they have a stadium big enough.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Kevyn posted:

No Hartford team? It’s practically Vince’s backyard and they have a stadium big enough.

It’d never work. After all, if wrestlers lose every drat time they’re in their hometown, you expect Vince’s team to do any better?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ShadowedFlames posted:

It’d never work. After all, if wrestlers lose every drat time they’re in their hometown, you expect Vince’s team to do any better?

that was more of a wcw trope

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well hell, announce the "Big Show" as an eligible receiver.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Im in Tampa and weirdly excited about this. I will definitely go to XFL games instead of NFL games

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well the theory of a Spring feeder league is that the schedules don't overlap so you don't have to pick one over the other

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

live stream of the official announcement here

https://twitter.com/xfl2020/status/1070354686568390656

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kickoff weekend of Feb 8-9 2020

Teams are indeed St Louis, DC, Dallas, Houston, LA, NY, Seattle and Tampa

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Whelp, Dallas team is playing a mile from where the Cowboys play. I'll go to one game, and then probably be out.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1070367077922418688

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Welp, there goes that league.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I'm assuming because they're required.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Great to see that cycling and football have merged.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

blugu64 posted:

Whelp, Dallas team is playing a mile from where the Cowboys play. I'll go to one game, and then probably be out.

I had no idea Globe Life was staying around after the Rangers' new stadium was done. Why do you need an outdoor multi-sport venue when you have AT&T Stadium and the new Rangers ballpark in the same square mile?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welp, there goes that league.

Maybe they'll "test"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I trust Josh Johnson to stay away from the drugs for 25% of a year

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Rastor posted:

Well the theory of a Spring feeder league is that the schedules don't overlap so you don't have to pick one over the other

Will NFL prospects risk injury playing in the XFL though? They will have to compete with well rested players in NFL training camp, and I doubt that the experience or money is worth the risk. The players will probably be people who spent a few years riding the bench in the NFL before being cut, and who don't have a realistic shot at a comeback.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rastor posted:

I mean any money I would spend in a given year on football will be used for the XFL local team and not the NFL local team

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Konstantin posted:

Will NFL prospects risk injury playing in the XFL though? They will have to compete with well rested players in NFL training camp, and I doubt that the experience or money is worth the risk. The players will probably be people who spent a few years riding the bench in the NFL before being cut, and who don't have a realistic shot at a comeback.

Well yeah the reality is that being a feeder league / minor league to the NFL has been tried before and never played out. In practice the NFL's feeder league is the College Football system.

The XFL is definitely going to be NFL bench warmers and college kids who fell short of being drafted. Possibly some CFL converts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rastor posted:

Well yeah the reality is that being a feeder league / minor league to the NFL has been tried before and never played out. In practice the NFL's feeder league is the College Football system.

The XFL is definitely going to be NFL bench warmers and college kids who fell short of being drafted. Possibly some CFL converts.

I was going to say their competition would be the CFL not the NFL.

I'm not sure that the NFL Europe tier level of players is a good niche to go for but I'm not wasting money on a gridiron football league in 2018

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kevyn posted:

I didn't expect it to happen but it's pretty disappointing to get passed over again in favor of cities that have already rejected 2nd-tier leagues 17 times. Or at the very least something near Worcester, Providence, or Manchester. Yeah the cities aren't huge but the metro areas are large and overlapping.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave Meltzer posted:

Here is an update on the XFL. They expect to announce their broadcast agreements in the next few weeks. There was far more interest in them than people think. Stations want live sports and football more than any other live sport.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I probably made this joke earlier in the thread, but instead of a coin toss they should give the choice to whichever team honors the troops the hardest.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The radical game changing innovation of the new XFL will be players with no knees. The world’s first all amputee football league so no player can take a knee and destroy America.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

I see Vince McMahon still hasn't moved on from cable

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

I see Vince McMahon still hasn't moved on from cable

Cable is so thirsty for content that I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone way overpaid for it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm just curious to see if the XFL and AAF both last long enough for a desperation merger/buyout. Setting up an XFL-AAF Super Bowl at the end of the 2020 season makes a lot of sense too, but I imagine neither wants to give the other that level of validation (especially Vince).

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
CBSSN seems like a good fit for the AAF. I don't know who would be the market for the XFL. Fox Sports, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

General Dog posted:

I probably made this joke earlier in the thread, but instead of a coin toss they should give the choice to whichever team honors the troops the hardest.

Every touchdown is celebrated with the national anthem. Field goals get the pledge of allegiance.