Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

woulda been nice for michelle to pretend she didn't notice donald wanted to shake her hand. they just don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Crow Jane posted:

I think I maybe know like one hymn, I'm not sure it's all that mockable. He still should've at least pretended though, what with being on camera and all.

If they didn't have something to read from, then yeah, maybe it's excusable--if you're not President and you're not trying to look like a Big Boy Adult Mans.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"This guy who famously swore he'd 'never apologize for america' after we shot down an Iranian civilian plane was actually a kind, empathetic, person"

"Yea yea whatever TEACHER TEACHER, DONNY DIDN'T DO THE READING!!!!"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

woulda been nice for michelle to pretend she didn't notice donald wanted to shake her hand. they just don't care.

"I like presidents who are alive"

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Serious question: is there any validity to the idea that a 2020 Democratic candidate should make use of this? Call Trump out for being too stupid to realize that it isn't 1985 anymore, mock his unwillingness to do things like wear reading glasses, call him weak and feckless for not standing up to Saudi Arabia and Russia?

Well that's quite a bit wrapped up in one question, but the republican party has grown so cult-like that you see poo poo like this-

Draw your own conclusions about mocking Trump for his inadherence to republican traditional "values."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Has there been an obit for Bush i the vein of Hunter S. Thompson's one for Nixon yet, come to think of it? All I've seen are the kind of "He was the kind of man who would hold the elevator for you" bullshit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

"I like presidents who are alive"

got 'im!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

Has there been an obit for Bush i the vein of Hunter S. Thompson's one for Nixon yet, come to think of it? All I've seen are the kind of "He was the kind of man who would hold the elevator for you" bullshit.

of course not.

Who was it that had to apologize because their 'opening paragraph didn't mention Bush's military service' or something? WaPo?

We in North Korea my dude.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/TPM/status/1070347632533532672

I'm sure he wanted Trump at his funeral

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Well that's quite a bit wrapped up in one question, but the republican party has grown so cult-like that you see poo poo like this-

Draw your own conclusions about mocking Trump for his inadherence to republican traditional "values."

Well, that may be, but the point is to get people to focus on the idea that Trump is a weakling and a coward, not that he was specifically weak on Russia. Those are just convenient examples. And again: the Trump Death Cult is unreachable. This isn't for them. This is for everyone else--to make them believe that the Democrats have finally solved the Trump conundrum. That alone could be a boost for enthusiasm.

Casually infantilize, belittle, and put him down at every opportunity, then immediately pivot back to policy. Don't waste any more time than necessary on the first part, but make sure it gets worked in there. Honestly, I think that it could be effective.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm actually very happy Trump is there because it's very funny to me that Bush is in Hell right now going 'aw man that fuckin new money loser is taking the attention off me???' I hope he shows up to every funeral.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Extremely messed up that George H.W. Bush's former neighbors, the Simpsons, didn't even show up for his funeral.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

Extremely messed up that George H.W. Bush's former neighbors, the Simpsons, didn't even show up for his funeral.

I hear they were pretty bad, though

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/BorlandCorp/status/1070361662383894535?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Well, that may be, but the point is to get people to focus on the idea that Trump is a weakling and a coward, not that he was specifically weak on Russia. Those are just convenient examples. And again: the Trump Death Cult is unreachable. This isn't for them. This is for everyone else--to make them believe that the Democrats have finally solved the Trump conundrum. That alone could be a boost for enthusiasm.

Casually infantilize, belittle, and put him down at every opportunity, then immediately pivot back to policy. Don't waste any more time than necessary on the first part, but make sure it gets worked in there. Honestly, I think that it could be effective.

pretty much, the winning strategy seems to be run on Obama like hope message mixed with actual progressive ideals/policy (universal healthcare,UBI, etc) and able to dunk on trump and not play into his bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am sure the old ghoul would be happy knowing trump was miserable at it.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Casually infantilize, belittle, and put him down at every opportunity, then immediately pivot back to policy at the first opportunity. Honestly, I think that it could be effective.

I was using a convenient example, I will admit. But I meant to use it in a broader sense, not specifically focus on the Russia thing- Trump is down to his base at this moment, as the midterms have shown us. It's a bit bigger than everyone thought, (in some parts of the country,) but leave the mocking and infantalizing, which he does a pretty self-owning job of himself, to Seth Meyers and Sam Bee and such. I don't think there's a lot of swing voters left at this point, and Democratic candidates spending money on that would just be wasteful poo.

Now the citizenry, hell gently caress yes, let's do that at every turn.

E- And Trump could have a puppy-kicking show, 7 days a week on network TV, and his base would cheer it on becau

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty much, the winning strategy seems to be run on Obama like hope message mixed with actual progressive ideals/policy (universal healthcare,UBI, etc) and able to dunk on trump and not play into his bullshit.

2020 communications director Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez :v:

(although someone with her Twitter skills wouldn't be the worst thing in the world on a modern communications team in a Presidential campaign)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

2020 communications director Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez :v:

(although someone with her Twitter skills wouldn't be the worst thing in the world on a modern communications team in a Presidential campaign)

Where does the Secretary of Epic Clapbacks sit in the line of succession?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KickerOfMice posted:

I was using a convenient example, I will admit. But I meant to use it in a broader sense, not specifically focus on the Russia thing- Trump is down to his base at this moment, as the midterms have shown us. It's a bit bigger than everyone thought, (in some parts of the country,) but leave the mocking and infantalizing, which he does a pretty self-owning job of himself, to Seth Meyers and Sam Bee and such. I don't think there's a lot of swing voters left at this point, and Democratic candidates spending money on that would just be wasteful poo.

Now the citizenry, hell gently caress yes, let's do that at every turn.

E- And Trump could have a puppy-kicking show, 7 days a week on network TV, and his base would cheer it on becau

i agree but i think if your in a debate with him, don't be afraid to shut him down and get burns in on him. basically don't do what clinton did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nothing helps a bunch of oligarchs make up more than putting a fascist rapist on the SCOTUS for life!

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i agree but i think if your in a debate with him, don't be afraid to shut him down and get burns in on him. basically don't do what clinton did.

*creepily looms behind you like an SVU guest star*

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 5, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Problem about mocking and belittling Trump is that liberals are absolutely completely godawful at it. 'Drumpf'.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Can you imagine AOC as the head of the EPA? *sigh* one can dream....

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem about mocking and belittling Trump is that liberals are absolutely completely godawful at it. 'Drumpf'.

Man, people have been hammering that button since Oliver made the joke once, right? loving LIBERALS.

It was just a bad joke. :shrug: Let's see you come up with a whole season of good ones.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 5, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Guze posted:

Carter 2020. Except its Vince Staples

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really aren't but it's hard to insult someone who has no shame. I mean, what can you call a turd that will make it seem worse than what it is?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

I haven't seen anything nearly so on the nose, no.

This wasn't a bad obit: https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a25371742/george-hw-bush-dies-94-republican-party/

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Guess now we know where 43 got those shoe dodging skills.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

it's literally all liberals are capable of. You see how they collectively cream their jeans at W and Michelle being besties. They don't actually care about what loving subhumans these people are they care about the decorum.

it's because it's all a game to them, if they lose then oh well better luck next time, well-played friend

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Trump being bored out of his mind and completely zoned out at a dead rear end in a top hat's funeral is like one of the few relatable things about him and his completele unwillingness to lie about how lame he thinks it all is is at least marginally more worthy of respect than everyone else in the room tripping over themselves to perform :decorum:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

They really aren't but it's hard to insult someone who has no shame. I mean, what can you call a turd that will make it seem worse than what it is?

well the issue is they are trying to be super clever about it when all you have to do is hit trump on his money and his masculinity which hurts him way more then any sorkin type monologue ever will.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just because Democratic Underground thinks it's funny doesn't mean liberals everywhere do.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Deified Data posted:

Trump being bored out of his mind and completely zoned out at a dead rear end in a top hat's funeral is like one of the few relatable things about him and his completele unwillingness to lie about how lame he thinks it all is is at least marginally more worthy of respect than everyone else in the room tripping over themselves to perform :decorum:

Yeah, I'm sort of with you. It feels dirty :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

Yea you can't get all huffy about Trump not doing the reading when that's about his only actual relatable side. Most of us think this is boring and dumb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Deified Data posted:

agreed but i'll be cool with any opportunity the media has in taking shots at the stupid rear end in a top hat. like, yeah, i'll feel bad when obama dies and probably watch the funeral mostly because he was my first presidential vote and i still have soft spot for him as well as Carter because he is genuinely a good dude. but i could give less of poo poo about HW outside maybe his WW2 experience.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 5, 2018

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Right for all the wrong reasons, of course.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's a small comfort in knowing trump doesn't want to be there and HW wouldn't have wanted him there either

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Push El Burrito posted:

We have people who are proud to be deplorables too. It did my head in since people were happily labeling themselves as racist and otherwise horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Is it too much to hope that first year will be 2019?