Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Doesnt your TV have a picture size button that will stretch it out? I assume that if you want the image stretched you're not concerned about pixel perfect quality here

What the people above me said; also the output from PS Classic is probably 1280×720, 16:9 with black bars on the sides included, which not too many TV's would be able to make wider. Those kinds of options are often only available for true 4:3 video.

Zat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so i downloaded beetle psx on my pc which is still pretty good (980ti) and this is what happens right away

and the gmae itself (tekken 3) is full of graphical glitches that the classic doesn't have...

i'm not sure PS1 emulation is that good anyweres

also lol never knew that was a polygon thought it was a sprite

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

Fun Fact: GoldenEye for N64 had 16x9 and 16x10 modes for the 8 people who had widescreen displays in 1997.

Rare are British, and Europe started getting into widescreen by the mid to late 90s. I think it was 99 we had our first widescreen TV in my house, and broadcast TV was already transmitted in anamorphic ws by then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What ever happened to Bleem, did that thing work well for PSOne games on the PC?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

so i downloaded beetle psx on my pc which is still pretty good (980ti) and this is what happens right away

and the gmae itself (tekken 3) is full of graphical glitches that the classic doesn't have...

Try switching to software rendering, emulators that try to use your GPU basically never work right.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

I was watching a video on Youtube the other night where someone was talking about emulators and they mentioned one that even fixed the jumpy polygons that the psx was known for. I can't remember which emulator that was though. It might have been one of the engines in Retroarch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nullsmack posted:

I was watching a video on Youtube the other night where someone was talking about emulators and they mentioned one that even fixed the jumpy polygons that the psx was known for. I can't remember which emulator that was though. It might have been one of the engines in Retroarch.

Was it this one? I was half-watching this last night, and your post sounded familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0dn9pRKuw

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno I just searched reddit for best psx emulator and some guy posted Beetle with some settings. I’ll try software emulation though

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 'Dolphin' emulator for the Wii used a better rounding system than the original hardware did, so a glitch that appeared only in the Wii VC release of Mario 64 didn't occur on it. The devs were like 'Well, we're a Wii emulator not an N64 one' and promptly 'fixed' the bug.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2018/0...gasus-and-phire

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I dunno I just searched reddit for best psx emulator and some guy posted Beetle with some settings. I’ll try software emulation though

I use BizHawk to emulate everything and PSX games work fine

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was it this one? I was half-watching this last night, and your post sounded familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0dn9pRKuw

That's probably it, that one was in my watch history.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bizhawk seems pro but there’s scanlines I can’t seem to figure out how to get rid of lol

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Apparently it only works with certain keyboards. Once you're in the menu, you can set any of the games to run as NTSC. :lol:

This is hilarious.

Does this mean the SNES Classic is a better mini playstation?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Defenistrator posted:

Why do none of these classic consoles adapt the aspect ratio for the games to widescreen ??

This might sound easy if you think of a video game screen as a window into a fully-rendered gameworld that exists beyond the bounds of the frame, and that changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 is a simple matter of widening this window.

That is not how video games work, and this type of change is not easy.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/1070139936924405760

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

https://twitter.com/AlphaFoxWarfare/status/1070343385624576000?s=19

"Wording" doesn't mean "I got it completely wrong," doofus

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving hell that list is like, a million times better than what is on there now. Holy loving hell.

E: He took it down but screenshot.

Github dump of the gameslist.

https://gist.github.com/xyzz/5861868db529c0866ada8b8dc51380fa

Pastebin if that ever gets taken down: https://pastebin.com/1PnKkWNn

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationClassic/comments/a368a5/games_sony_had_tested_on_the_playstation_classic/

The guy just deleted that tweet but here's the reddit post

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
He reposted it with a rephrasing saying "These are games that were tested with the PSC"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe it's Sony's way of selling the PS Classic without having to pay the fee for the rights to the games. I'm sure they'll be cracked in no time, and it'll be a lot more attractive than it is now, much like the NES/SNES being okay with the game set but awesome with the hack.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Yeah I'm sure all these games that are downloaded and definitely not merely config files prepared just in case are taking up less than 16GB.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Medullah posted:

Maybe it's Sony's way of selling the PS Classic without having to pay the fee for the rights to the games. I'm sure they'll be cracked in no time, and it'll be a lot more attractive than it is now, much like the NES/SNES being okay with the game set but awesome with the hack.

The NES and SNES Classics managed to hit a good cross-section of popular games for both systems, and it wasn't hard to see why each selection was chose for them.

A good third or so of the entries in the PS Classic, on the other hand, can be summed up as "What?... Why?! :psyduck:"

Healbot posted:

Yeah I'm sure all these games that are downloaded and definitely not merely config files prepared just in case are taking up less than 16GB.

Yeah, odds are they're dummied-out placeholder code from a VERY early build when they had a shortlist for potential titles.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For a community that was so focused on hacking their NES and SNES classics... just give it some time

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Medal of Honor, Parasite Eve, Wild Arms, Tomb Raider I&2, Parappa,Silent Hill.. Yea those might have just been config files or whatever but goddamn it gives an idea how strong of a games lineup the PSclassic could have had.

Oh well maybe Sony will get it right with PSOne classic Vol.2

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Astro7x posted:

For a community that was so focused on hacking their NES and SNES classics... just give it some time

Gonna laugh my rear end off if it just never happens because so few people give a poo poo

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I want a ps1 classic full of demo discs and no full games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Overbite posted:

Time for Square to release the FFVIII demo with the song that sounds like it's from The Rock.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i want a bomberman shaped console that only plays bomberman 94 and comes with 5 controllers

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I want an alternate universe PS Classic that has a SNES cart slot

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Gonna laugh my rear end off if it just never happens because so few people give a poo poo

This would actually be pretty drat funny.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Overbite posted:

This would accurately represent my attention span for most of these old games.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Time for Square to release the FFVIII demo with the song that sounds like it's from The Rock.

Haha I forgot about that. I remember thinking it was so cool they got to use the music from The Rock and when I bought the full game, was disappointed they changed it.

Here is the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngkmdA0KvPM

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Overbite posted:

This would be a fun gimmick gift to give to someone in RPi form, come to think of it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm gonna play through all of Rainbow 6. I need the badness it has to offer, because my God, it's terrible.

Like, I'm not sure why anyone would choose this since even 5 minutes of play testing would tell you its pure unadulterated poo poo.

It reminds me of those bad NES games where everything is super obscure and you get stuck on the first screen because nothing makes sense. In this case, to open a door in the floor, you have to shoot it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yeah I'm legit shocked there's any nostalgia out there for the console versions of the original R6

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Overbite posted:

Are you my college roommate who constantly played the ESPN roller blading demo while a perfectly good Tekken 2 disc was RIGHT THERE

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah I'm legit shocked there's any nostalgia out there for the console versions of the original R6

there isn't, that's why it's baffling

the day i learned that game had a version on PS1 was the day they announced it was on the PS Classic, and I know some obscure poo poo

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I remember playing the N64 version, and while it was janky, it certainly was playable. Is the PS1 version that much worse?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember playing the N64 version, and while it was janky, it certainly was playable. Is the PS1 version that much worse?

The N64 version had co-op, on the same console. I remember playing it a bit and liking it at the time. The Playstation one though, oh boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

The N64 version had co-op, on the same console. I remember playing it a bit and liking it at the time. The Playstation one though, oh boy

Go get em Ding Chavez