Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jack2142 posted:

The Roman Empire was actually just a thought experiment to demonstrate the Ship of Theseus.

But Troy pre-dates Theseus! Major flaw in the argument there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Anybody ever notice just how many Ancient Greek myths involve eating people?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

whose myths are cannibalism-free

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Human is just poorly packaged protein don’t knock it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Was there much cross religious marriage in the medieval world? For example, some Byzantine princess carted off to a Turkish or Arab lord to try and maintain an alliance or truce?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not a lot but one I like is the Romans married some princesses off to the Mongols to buy an alliance while the Mongols were busy kicking the poo poo out of the Turks. Though I believe the husband in that case was a Nestorian Christian. I'm not sure whether the Romans would've seen marriages with Nestorians or Latins as being cross religion exactly, though certainly unorthodox.

I do like that there was a period where technically the same royal family sat on both the Roman and Chinese thrones.

I would bet there were mixed Christian/Jewish or Christian/Muslim marriages going on among commoners now and then. I can't remember if there were any attempts at marriage alliances with Turks. I'm not as up on 1204-1453 as I should be.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't remember if there were any attempts at marriage alliances with Turks. I'm not as up on 1204-1453 as I should be.

At least one case that I can think of: Orhan married Theodora Kantakouzene, daughter of John VI, in exchange for the use of Osmanli troops in his war against John V. After the war (John V won) their son, Halil, was offered John V's daughter Irene Palaiologina in the hopes that this would bind future Osmanli rulers to the Byzantine service. And as we all know that worked absolutely perfectly.

Halil/his descendants never became sultan so I don't know where the tradition comes from, but Mehmed the Conqueror and his descendants also claimed to have some convenient Byzantine royal descent from somewhere.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

At least one case that I can think of: Orhan married Theodora Kantakouzene, daughter of John VI, in exchange for the use of Osmanli troops in his war
Halil/his descendants never became sultan so I don't know where the tradition comes from, but Mehmed the Conqueror and his descendants also claimed to have some convenient Byzantine royal descent from somewhere.

John Komnenos, who was the nephew of John II Komnenos, defected to the Danishmend Turks in 1139. He then converted to Islam and married one of the Sultan's daughters. The Ottomans claimed that John's great grandson was Osman, the founder of the Ottomans. Its almost certainly not true, but Mehmed used that supposed descent to strengthen his claim to Constantinople

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the eastern empire have to jump through any hoops to justify having a “basileus” ruling romans, or did easterners just give fewer shits about kings than the original romans did?

I can already imagine some has-been patrician bitching about decadent easterns who don’t know the difference between the good and cool principate and a bad, dumb monarchy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Easterners never gave any shits about being ruled by kings and the emperors were referred to in the Greek world as basileus from Augustus on down.

Essentially all the Greeks who really seriously felt bad about rule by kings got liquidated during the centuries of rule by kings that preceded the Romans

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The facade that Augustus set up was also much less important once life under non-autocratic rule was more than a few centuries out of living memory. And outside of Italy I'm not sure how much different the government even was pre- and post-Augustus.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The space of time between the abolition of the whole Princeps sham and the official adoption of the title of Basileus is about the same as the gap that separates present-day America from the Salem Witch Trials, or present-day China from the beginning of the Qing dynasty.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

cheetah7071 posted:

The facade that Augustus set up was also much less important once life under non-autocratic rule was more than a few centuries out of living memory. And outside of Italy I'm not sure how much different the government even was pre- and post-Augustus.

poo poo the Facade that Augustus set up was trampled by Caligula like twenty years after he died.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Even in Augustan times, there are busts of him made in the East with slots cut into the hair for a kingly metal circlet to be placed.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I was going to post this in the religion thread, but thought it might be better here:

https://twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/1069381449571319808

The catholic news service (private US newswire, not affiliated with the Vatican) just tried to celebrate chanukah with a picture of the Arch of Titus, which commemorates the sack of Jerusalem.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lol. Smooth move there.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

I was going to post this in the religion thread, but thought it might be better here:

https://twitter.com/CatholicNewsSvc/status/1069381449571319808

The catholic news service (private US newswire, not affiliated with the Vatican) just tried to celebrate chanukah with a picture of the Arch of Titus, which commemorates the sack of Jerusalem.

Nice holiday ya got there. Shame if something happened to it...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
My candles went out in like an hour so its surely a sign of something.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something something they are Roman Catholics after all.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

This is a really cool discovery if true:

quote:

DENVER — A superheated blast from the skies obliterated cities and farming settlements north of the Dead Sea around 3,700 years ago, preliminary findings suggest.

Radiocarbon dating and unearthed minerals that instantly crystallized at high temperatures indicate that a massive airburst caused by a meteor that exploded in the atmosphere instantaneously destroyed civilization in a 25-kilometer-wide circular plain called Middle Ghor, said archaeologist Phillip Silvia. The event also pushed a bubbling brine of Dead Sea salts over once-fertile farm land, Silvia and his colleagues suspect.

People did not return to the region for 600 to 700 years, said Silvia, of Trinity Southwest University in Albuquerque. He reported these findings at the annual meeting of the American Schools of Oriental Research on November 17.

Excavations at five large Middle Ghor sites, in what’s now Jordan, indicate that all were continuously occupied for at least 2,500 years until a sudden, collective collapse toward the end of the Bronze Age. Ground surveys have located 120 additional, smaller settlements in the region that the researchers suspect were also exposed to extreme, collapse-inducing heat and wind. An estimated 40,000 to 65,000 people inhabited Middle Ghor when the cosmic calamity hit, Silvia said.

The most comprehensive evidence of destruction caused by a low-altitude meteor explosion comes from the Bronze Age city of Tall el-Hammam, where a team that includes Silvia has been excavating for the last 13 years. Radiocarbon dating indicates that the mud-brick walls of nearly all structures suddenly disappeared around 3,700 years ago, leaving only stone foundations.

What’s more, the outer layers of many pieces of pottery from same time period show signs of having melted into glass. Zircon crystals in those glassy coats formed within one second at extremely high temperatures, perhaps as hot as the surface of the sun, Silvia said.

High-force winds created tiny, spherical mineral grains that apparently rained down on Tall el-Hammam, he said. The research team has identified these minuscule bits of rock on pottery fragments at the site.

Examples exist of exploding space rocks that have wreaked havoc on Earth (SN: 5/13/17, p. 12). An apparent meteor blast over a sparsely populated Siberian region in 1908, known as the Tunguska event, killed no one but flattened 2,000 square kilometers of forest. And a meteor explosion over Chelyabinsk, Russia, in 2013 injured more than 1,600 people, mainly due to broken glass from windows that were blown out

I wonder if researchers will find these kind of exploding meteors are more common than we once thought. They probably don't leave a lot of evidence since they explode high in the atmosphere. Kind of creepy to think about. Since I found it hard to picture what this kind of disaster must have looked like here's some first hand descriptions of the Tunguska blast:

quote:

At breakfast time I was sitting by the house at Vanavara Trading Post [65 kilometres/40 miles south of the explosion], facing north. […] I suddenly saw that directly to the north, over Onkoul's Tunguska Road, the sky split in two and fire appeared high and wide over the forest [as Semenov showed, about 50 degrees up—expedition note]. The split in the sky grew larger, and the entire northern side was covered with fire. At that moment I became so hot that I couldn't bear it as if my shirt was on fire; from the northern side, where the fire was, came strong heat. I wanted to tear off my shirt and throw it down, but then the sky shut closed, and a strong thump sounded, and I was thrown a few meters. I lost my senses for a moment, but then my wife ran out and led me to the house. After that such noise came, as if rocks were falling or cannons were firing, the Earth shook, and when I was on the ground, I pressed my head down, fearing rocks would smash it. When the sky opened up, hot wind raced between the houses, like from cannons, which left traces in the ground like pathways, and it damaged some crops. Later we saw that many windows were shattered, and in the barn, a part of the iron lock snapped.

quote:

We had a hut by the river with my brother Chekaren. We were sleeping. Suddenly we both woke up at the same time. Somebody shoved us. We heard whistling and felt strong wind. Chekaren said, 'Can you hear all those birds flying overhead?' We were both in the hut, couldn't see what was going on outside. Suddenly, I got shoved again, this time so hard I fell into the fire. I got scared. Chekaren got scared too. We started crying out for father, mother, brother, but no one answered. There was noise beyond the hut, we could hear trees falling down. Chekaren and I got out of our sleeping bags and wanted to run out, but then the thunder struck. This was the first thunder. The Earth began to move and rock, the wind hit our hut and knocked it over. My body was pushed down by sticks, but my head was in the clear. Then I saw a wonder: trees were falling, the branches were on fire, it became mighty bright, how can I say this, as if there was a second sun, my eyes were hurting, I even closed them. It was like what the Russians call lightning. And immediately there was a loud thunderclap. This was the second thunder. The morning was sunny, there were no clouds, our Sun was shining brightly as usual, and suddenly there came a second one!

Chekaren and I had some difficulty getting out from under the remains of our hut. Then we saw that above, but in a different place, there was another flash, and loud thunder came. This was the third thunder strike. Wind came again, knocked us off our feet, struck the fallen trees.

We looked at the fallen trees, watched the tree tops get snapped off, watched the fires. Suddenly Chekaren yelled "Look up" and pointed with his hand. I looked there and saw another flash, and it made another thunder. But the noise was less than before. This was the fourth strike, like normal thunder.

Now I remember well there was also one more thunder strike, but it was small, and somewhere far away, where the Sun goes to sleep.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Uh so, Sodom and Gomorra was real?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Koramei posted:

Probably? In the sense of there being legends based on some sort of real event. See also The Flood.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

Huh, you know this connection didn't even occur to me. The date they estimate for this is about 1700 BC, how does that relate to the chronology of the old testament? My first thought was how this might relate to the bronze age collapse but this date seems a little early to be related to that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Squalid posted:

Huh, you know this connection didn't even occur to me. The date they estimate for this is about 1700 BC, how does that relate to the chronology of the old testament? My first thought was how this might relate to the bronze age collapse but this date seems a little early to be related to that.

1700 BC would be a few centuries to maybe a millenium too late for when the events of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah are understood to have happened based on traditional bible chronologies, and also referencing between when events are described as happening the bible that we can date versus when they supposedly happen in the Bible.

Of course, the passages that involve Sodom and Gomorrah can't be definitively dated to before 1700 BC, so it's not like that's any proof that the much later writers of the Torah didn't have an event around 1700 BC in mind and weren't clear on when it'd really happened.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not sure about old testament timelines but it's definitely not related to the bronze age collapse, this would be ~500 years before.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dear Roman History thread, I'm still five years behind and can't justify skipping pages since even five year old discussions are still history and just as good for content as newer ones. All the same I have a pressing question-

https://twitter.com/bernard_prof/status/1068524699208957952

Does anyone have any idea what that middle headline could possibly be referring to?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well I guess when a Legion forms a labor union, it's a coup or a revolt, so that might count?

Other than that, maybe it's talking about some of Diocletian's reforms where people and their descendants got locked to whatever land and profession they were stuck in at the time didn't help with how there kept being not enough recruits for the legions, so it was more vulnerable to attack, but at the end of the day that was more because it was laying some of the foundations for feudalism and local land owners (who basically would've owned the people locked to the land) just hiding their workers from recruiters.

Or maybe it's equating the goths' sacking of Rome with a labor strike, because if those dumb goths could've just stayed happy starving to death while selling their children into slavery, Rome wouldn't have gotten sacked. Keep the poors in their place! That's the lesson!

Or maybe it's even equating the eventual end of the grain dole with being the cause of the fall rather than a symptom, because this horrid act of philanthropy obviously drove the empire to disaster after having been maintained for 600 years.

It's really hard to guess at what particular absolute poo poo some idiot would've been talking a hundred years ago to back up their terrible point.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

Dear Roman History thread, I'm still five years behind and can't justify skipping pages since even five year old discussions are still history and just as good for content as newer ones. All the same I have a pressing question-

Does anyone have any idea what that middle headline could possibly be referring to?

The NYT has always hated unions, and so blaming them for all sorts of calamities is par for the course.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Praetorian Guard was kind of like a policeman's union.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Praetorian Guard was kind of like a policeman's union.

Nah Yiddish didn't even exist back then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah Yiddish didn't even exist back then.

Ha! I meant to say "police union" but I've definitely read that book quite a few times and it seems I slipped. I'm not going to change it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Some Guy TT posted:

I found the article. It's a review of British Egyptologist Flinders Petrie's book "Janus in Modern Life", which seems a pretty Social Darwinistic book to me, about how social programs that help the poor just work to make sure that the unfit breed more, hurting the human race. The article includes,about ancient Rome:

quote:

There follow several chapters all dealing with English conditions, all very interesting, and then Dr. Petrie attacks the subject of trade unionism in the light of history. He declares that it was trade unionism which wrecked the Roman Empire-not slavery or vice-and he shows how. Here, he says, are certain facts "curiously parallel to the growth of modern unionism."

The first great step which bore centuries of bitter resuts was the favoring of the townsman as against the countryman. The voter in Rome could push laws to his own advantage in the hurly-burly of the public assembly, while the countryman was working hard in his furrow miles away. The conquered provinces were a great temptation; they had to yield tribute, grain came pouring into Rome, and why should not this abundance benefit the citizen by being sold at a low price. They forgot the countryman. His toil was none the less because Carthago or Sicily or Egypt was being plundered. But his pay was much the less if his produce lost its market value. The cheap corn of Gracchus was the knell of the honest agriculturist, as Prof. Oman has pointed out. The only remedy was to try to cheapen production in Italy. This was done by giving up the small farmer altogether and running only big estates by slave labor, the human machine which was to Rome what machinery is to us. This staved off the evil somewhat. But soon the townsman demanded more and more, and at last free doles of corn were given him and agriculture become impossible in Italy. What tribute-corn did to Italy, cheap transport has done for England. The townsman is always favored at the cost of the countryman, and the country is being depopulated. Not only cheap bread, but doles of every kind-hospitals, wash-houses, music, games, libraries-all are given to the townsman, while the countryman cannot possibly share in such doles. A large policy of equivalent benefits to the countryman would be the only corrective to this one-sided and deleterious favoritism. But the votes carry it, as they did in Rome.

I don't know why you would, but if you want to read "Janus in Modern Life" yourself, you can find it in the link below:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t2697346w;view=1up;seq=7

And having looked at the chapter in the book, it's not the best quote for what Petrie's argument actually is. The article quotes Petrie talking about the grain dole, but the rest of the chapter has Petrie looking at the labor laws under Aurelian and Diocletian that required someone to take up their father's trade and didn't allow for economic or social mobility, as well as the laws regulating wages and prices, which he said led to more economic disruption and panic. He calls the whole thing part of a "socialistic policy" that destroyed the Roman Empire

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hmm, yes, no one grew anything in italy after the gracchi and serfdom is socialism

:thunk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Dang, I forgot about how common eugenics was back in those days.

I don't doubt that Diocletian was one of the most capable emperors or that he managed to stabilize the empire in hard times, but man, a lot of his reforms sound like they made the empire a worse place to live.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

fishmech posted:

1700 BC would be a few centuries to maybe a millenium too late for when the events of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah are understood to have happened based on traditional bible chronologies, and also referencing between when events are described as happening the bible that we can date versus when they supposedly happen in the Bible.

It reminds me though of how the Trojan War was understood by the Greeks to have happened IIRC in the early 2000's BC, but the actual armour and so on referenced in the Iliad dates to more like 1200 BC.
So there is some rough precedent for people taking relatively recent, legend-grade events and believing that they happened much longer ago.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Strategic Tea posted:

It reminds me though of how the Trojan War was understood by the Greeks to have happened IIRC in the early 2000's BC, but the actual armour and so on referenced in the Iliad dates to more like 1200 BC.

I don't think that's right. If the Trojan War is based on historical events, then the traditional dates square up well with the Hittite records, to the 1200s BC. What you might be thinking of is that the description of Greek society in the Illiad is clearly from a later period, the 9th or 8th century BC

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was common to not recognize the changes, look at all the drawings of Roman history in medieval books where the Romans are running around dressed like it's the 13th century.

Check out those Roman galleons.

After having seen these I was surprised when I found out Roman fortifications actually do more or less look identical to medieval castles.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Wasn't there some ideological reason history was always depicted with (for the artist) modern clothes, armaments, architecture etc., something to do with "nothing new under the sun"? I think I've heard something like that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nothing I can think of that would apply in that way. There was just the fact that they wouldn't have known, though. Unless you were in Rome itself and took some time examining Trajan's Column to see what Roman armor looked like I don't see how any medieval artist doing book illuminations would have a clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Grevling posted:

Wasn't there some ideological reason history was always depicted with (for the artist) modern clothes, armaments, architecture etc., something to do with "nothing new under the sun"? I think I've heard something like that.

You could also venture that for religious painting it emphasises the atemporality of Christianity's teachings. But yes, before, idk, the romantic era? historical painting generally makes no attempt to be historical in the sense that it would be accurate, and it's so obvious that it was certainly intended so