Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Relevant Australian conduct rules and ethical code, for those who are curious.

Here's another interesting hypothetical. When you're making your disclosures to be admitted, they now want you, in addition to disclosing criminal and academic history, to disclose mental health information. So if you've ever been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, for example, they want you to disclose.

Unlike the other matters, my understanding is they can't actually punish you for not disclosing, they just really really like you to. Would you disclose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What the gently caress? Thats insane. Thats going to push people to go untreated

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Whitlam posted:

Here's another interesting hypothetical. When you're making your disclosures to be admitted, they now want you, in addition to disclosing criminal and academic history, to disclose mental health information. So if you've ever been diagnosed with anxiety or depression, for example, they want you to disclose.

Unlike the other matters, my understanding is they can't actually punish you for not disclosing, they just really really like you to. Would you disclose?

Can’t disclose anxiety if you don’t see someone to diagnose it!

Right???

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
never thought id live to see the day when phil mouskewitz was polluting this thread with bad 1L hypos. never meet yr heroes, folks

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

never thought id live to see the day when phil mouskewitz was polluting this thread with bad 1L hypos. never meet yr heroes, folks

It’s a good hypo because it got the greybeard a B-

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Doesn’t Florida allow firm appearances? Seems like that would fix it

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I disagree that it's as simple as you say, though perhaps "attach" was bad wording on my part. Obviously the conversation is a privileged attorney-client communication, and most likely you are correct that the crime occurs before you have any mandatory obligation to report it under Rule 1.6. His statements would not give you a reasonable belief of impending death or great bodily harm.

However, your advice was used by the client in the furtherance of a crime. The client consulted with you about the need to "remove" a witness, and options to do so. You clearly understood what "remove" meant, because you counseled him on the law of witness tampering. But then you advised him that there was no legal way to deal with the witness. In response, he told you he doesn't see any way forward without removing the witness. Subsequently, he misused your advice---that the only to prevail would be removal of the witness, and this could not be done legally---and had the witness killed.

I think this conversation is probably subject to the crime-fraud exception and can be used in a later prosecution of your client. He expressed the intent to tamper with a witness. You advised him that would be illegal, but admitted that there was really no way to win his case legally. He then took your advice and had the witness killed.

No, he didn't take my advice and in fact he did what I specifically told him not to do. It told him no and why. The client isn't misusing my advice, he's ignoring it. I'm not giving him information he wouldn't otherwise have that he needs to commit a crime, he's already got it.
I think furtherance exists on a spectrum like certainty does. Stating that you can't prevent a witness from testifying could be one end of the spectrum. To make "there's no way under the law to stop her from testifying" a statement in furtherance of crime/fraud , let alone creating a 'may disclose' due to misuse of ACR situation, would completely swallow Rule 1.6.
Where I see 'may disclose' starting to come into the furtherance spectrum is if the police report (which I gave a copy of to my client) has the witness's address. Probably still not there yet (unless after I tell him I can't stop her from testifying, client specifically asks for it and I still give it over) If my investigator's report includes her daily schedule (and I give the client a copy) is a little further up the spectrum. That might be may disclose under misuse of advice, but not crime/fraud exception. If I tell him that she gets out of choir practice at the Salvation Army Wednesday at 8 and walks home alone down Dunkelbaum Alley and she disappears after choir practice, that's way, way up into tell client to rectify and then legally may/morally shall disclose.

As a practical matter, how could one give competent advice about something material to a client without it potentially being in furtherance of a crime?
What if the client expressed the intent to tamper with a witness if he was looking at going to prison. I advise him that would be illegal, but tell him that the crime carries mandatory prison time. He then ignores my advice and has the witness killed. My stating the law did not further the crime, nor did it instruct my client how to commit the crime.
Similarly, can I remain within the ACR and tell a client what the range of punishment is if that information might raise the stakes of the case farther than my client thought previously?
I just don't see how one can construe "no, you can't do that and here's why, and no you can't do [illegal thing] either" as making the later commission of a crime "in furtherance of which the client has used or is using the lawyer's services" without completely standing 1.6 on its head. Only bad lawyers who don't fully advise their clients would be able to have an (albeit worthless) ACR.

Whitlam posted:

We yanks have commentaries and discussion sections that come along with the bare rules. Do those exist for 9.2? I couldn't find any.

e:

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Now I'm despondent. If I get a DUI because of this, ODC is going to take your bar card.

Nice piece of fish posted:

What does a soft appearance look like?
Norwegians are close enough to Germany and Sweden to be presumed pervs, so if I told you I'd have to report both of us to the police.
I'll confess if I can get a change of venue to Norway.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 4, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Whitlam posted:

lol no gently caress them

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

joat mon posted:

No, he didn't take my advice and in fact he did what I specifically told him not to do. It told him no and why. The client isn't misusing my advice, he's ignoring it. I'm not giving him information he wouldn't otherwise have that he needs to commit a crime, he's already got it.
I think furtherance exists on a spectrum like certainty does. Stating that you can't prevent a witness from testifying could be one end of the spectrum. To make "there's no way under the law to stop her from testifying" a statement in furtherance of crime/fraud , let alone creating a 'may disclose' due to misuse of ACR situation, would completely swallow Rule 1.6.
Where I see 'may disclose' starting to come into the furtherance spectrum is if the police report (which I gave a copy of to my client) has the witness's address. Probably still not there yet (unless after I tell him I can't stop her from testifying, client specifically asks for it and I still give it over) If my investigator's report includes her daily schedule (and I give the client a copy) is a little further up the spectrum. That might be may disclose under misuse of advice, but not crime/fraud exception. If I tell him that she gets out of choir practice at the Salvation Army Wednesday at 8 and walks home alone down Dunkelbaum Alley and she disappears after choir practice, that's way, way up into tell client to rectify and then legally may/morally shall disclose.

As a practical matter, how could one give competent advice about something material to a client without it potentially being in furtherance of a crime?
What if the client expressed the intent to tamper with a witness if he was looking at going to prison. I advise him that would be illegal, but tell him that the crime carries mandatory prison time. He then ignores my advice and has the witness killed. My stating the law did not further the crime, nor did it instruct my client how to commit the crime.
Similarly, can I remain within the ACR and tell a client what the range of punishment is if that information might raise the stakes of the case farther than my client thought previously?
I just don't see how one can construe "no, you can't do that and here's why, and no you can't do [illegal thing] either" as making the later commission of a crime "in furtherance of which the client has used or is using the lawyer's services" without completely standing 1.6 on its head. Only bad lawyers who don't fully advise their clients would be able to have an (albeit worthless) ACR.

We yanks have commentaries and discussion sections that come along with the bare rules. Do those exist for 9.2?

I’m not going to say you are wrong because to my knowledge these questions are not resolved. Like I said, I asked to see where you stand on the question.

The problem with your analysis, in my opinion, is that it eviscerates the crime fraud exception even where a lawyer provides the complete framework for breaking the law (explaining what conduct would be illegal but difficult to detect, what would achieve the desired illegal result but through untested and potentially illegal conduct, or what would be legal but barely so), but then tells the client “I’m telling you this so that you are aware of the limits of legal activity. I advise you to follow the law.”

I don’t think the CF exception cares about the lawyer’s intent (unless the lawyer’s intent is criminal). It’s there to expose the client’s crime, and will pierce the AC privilege to do so. The privilege isn’t the lawyer’s.

To go back to my hypo, it was blurry on purpose. Did the client take the “legal advice” as “You really can’t do anything other than the criminal conduct you are suggesting if you want to avoid prison,” or does the intent of the lawyer have any role in the analysis?

If the client discloses an intent to commit fraud, and the lawyer explains how law enforcement will be able to detect and prosecute the particular criminal activity and recommends against pursuing it, and the client then makes a few changes to the plan to avoid the pitfalls pointed out to the lawyer and carries it out without telling the lawyer—does the CF exception apply?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 4, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Whitlam posted:

I'm going to tell my client that they really, really want him to disclose but he is not obligated to, and then, at the end of the conversation, strike up a talk about how I just ordered some hair loss pills from a reputable online pharmacy that is based outside of Australian jurisdiction

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

joat mon posted:

We yanks have commentaries and discussion sections that come along with the bare rules. Do those exist for 9.2? I couldn't find any.
I found a commentary here, but that's as much detail as I could get without Lexis or similar on my phone.

My ethics lecturer vanished half way through the semester for "health reasons". We later found out she was struck off for unethical behaviour. The woman who replaced her later lodged a formal bullying complaint against our Dean. C'est la vie.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nice piece of fish posted:

There’s a dick joke in here.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

There’s a dick joke in here.

— AR’s vagina

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol

Phil Moscowitz posted:

— AR’s vagina

Lol x2

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Also as I think I mentioned, I didn't make partner so the choices over the last few weeks were laid out before me (with some haggling):

-new title, sizable raise, significant billable hour reduction, pretty much removed from partnership consideration, employment for as long as I stay profitable/generate work

-stay an associate 1-2 more years, hope for the best next year

Firm pushed option 2 pretty hard. I hope it goes without saying I'm taking option 1

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also as I think I mentioned, I didn't make partner so the choices over the last few weeks were laid out before me (with some haggling):

-new title, sizable raise, significant billable hour reduction, pretty much removed from partnership consideration, employment for as long as I stay profitable/generate work

Firm pushed option 2 pretty hard. I hope it goes without saying I'm taking option 1

congrats man.

I start my new life as a jew banker next week and I'm never looking back

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Toona the Cat posted:

congrats man.

I start my new life as a jew banker next week and I'm never looking back

Thanks friend.

Just remember no matter how rough banking gets, its definitely better than law

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah take door number one, stay profitable, lateral/in house as necessary.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I always think this is amusing because counsel do get promoted up to partner occasionally. You made the right call. If you can also find some free space to actually develop your own clients who will leave if you do, then you’ve got some leverage to revisit the issue later anyway.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

— AR’s vagina

Aren’t you like 60 years old? Ew. Stay out of my vagina.

Sorry to hear it, SV. And yes. Option one. Hardcore. Become a man of leisure.

Also, I am seriously considering writing a post trial response brief that says “the petitioner has wasted 9 months of the court’s time on this bullshit. I won’t waste any more of it. The petitioner failed to meet his burden. Thank you.” Thoughts?

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 5, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ActusRhesus posted:

Also, I am seriously considering writing a post trial response brief that says “the petitioner has wasted 9 months of the court’s time on this bullshit. I won’t waste any more of it. The petitioner failed to meet his burden. Thank you.” Thoughts?

Paraphrase to avoid "waste" and "bullshit" and I think you'd be good.

In more important news,

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1070107251656945665

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Popehat continues to suck poo poo even compared to other online lawyers

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
GOD do I the big smart man with the huge dick have to explain this legal thing to you simpering loving morons? Fine, I guess, as long as you know I'm so smart that what you dont understand I find boring

*posts stupid unfunny poo poo like that 5 times a day that people repost like piss pigs*

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Soothing Vapors posted:

At the end of the day, if you are profitable enough down the road for the firm to make you a partner (with you potentially twisting their arm because of economic leverage at the time), they’ll do it, regardless of whether you pick option 1 or 2 now. It will be clearly a matter of the economics.

Therefore, I see next to no possible value in taking Option 2.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 5, 2018

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Also the Flynn filing dropped and is just a big cocktease

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

GOD do I the big smart man with the huge dick have to explain this legal thing to you simpering loving morons? Fine, I guess, as long as you know I'm so smart that what you dont understand I find boring

Hard to believe that a lawyer would act in such a manner.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I wonder if Mueller gets tomorrow off? Might be one way to short-circuit the investigation; declare every day a federal holiday! Someone get that idea on Fox and Friends, stat!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

sullat posted:

I wonder if Mueller gets tomorrow off? Might be one way to short-circuit the investigation; declare every day a federal holiday! Someone get that idea on Fox and Friends, stat!

I believe that was how one of Caesar's opponents tried to hinder one of his power grabs - by declaring every remaining day of a particular term a holy holiday (so that Caesar could not take action).

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

SlyFrog posted:

I believe that was how one of Caesar's opponents tried to hinder one of his power grabs - by declaring every remaining day of a particular term a holy holiday (so that Caesar could not take action).

Yeah, the Julian calendar was established to end the sort of horilogical fuckery that the Romans (and Greeks) liked to do. The calendar was set each year by the high priest of Rome; when Caesar was high priest and his enemy was consul, Caesar made the year about 200 days long. When his ally was consul, he made the year 440 days long. The augurs could declare any day to be 'bad luck' and no political decisions could be made on that day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Vox Nihili posted:

Hard to believe that a lawyer would act in such a manner.

Yeah, I post the popehat tweets because he reminds me so much of my beloved friends in this thread

I would honestly be surprised if he didn't have an SA account at some point

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Yeah, the Julian calendar was established to end the sort of horilogical fuckery that the Romans (and Greeks) liked to do. The calendar was set each year by the high priest of Rome; when Caesar was high priest and his enemy was consul, Caesar made the year about 200 days long. When his ally was consul, he made the year 440 days long. The augurs could declare any day to be 'bad luck' and no political decisions could be made on that day.

Also why Sept (7)ember Oct(8)over Nov(9)ember and Dec(10)ember are all off by two nominal months, because they just stuck July(Julius) and August (Agustus) smack dab in the middle to make 12 months.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You plebs using an antique Gregorian calendar make me sick. I only use the French Revolution's calendar. Happy du Quartidi of Frimaire, year 227.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You plebs using an antique Gregorian calendar make me sick. I only use the French Revolution's calendar. Happy du Quartidi of Frimaire, year 227.

Happy day of the pig, citizen!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Fomenko's calendar or gtfo.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Plebs make you sick? This way to Madame Guillotine, citizen.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I prefer to measure time in “days without wanting to murder opposing counsel.” I’m up to 7. But two of my hearings were cancelled.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

uberkeyzer posted:

Plebs make you sick? This way to Madame Guillotine, citizen.

Jokes on you I'm Tribune of the plebians!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yes I'm sure he let you climb up there and lean over the divider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes I'm sure he let you climb up there and lean over the divider

First off, wouldn't that testimony be admissible? And second, should the judge really be objecting on behalf of her opponent? Whatever it's a comic is the answer to both questions.