Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

wow

literally nothing about that headline makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wow

Everything in that headline sounds loving rad

I don't give a poo poo about the dogs. Watching a villian's origin story, though? That's some trash moviegoing that I need right now.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Getting Craig Gillespie to direct is a little obvious, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Queen Combat posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the dogs. Watching a villian's origin story, though? That's some trash moviegoing that I need right now.

no I mean like, the original movie is set in the 1940's? how is a prequel gonna be set in the 1980's? isn't Cruella De Vil from old money? born and raise silver spoon in her mouth? how the hell would she ever be involved with the punk scene?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

no I mean like, the original movie is set in the 1940's? how is a prequel gonna be set in the 1980's? isn't Cruella De Vil from old money? born and raise silver spoon in her mouth? how the hell would she ever be involved with the punk scene?

It would be a fictional character with the same name.

Semi-related this is also literally something that would have just been a Disney Channel Original Movie or even series, but I guess just constantly making hand-over-fist with their live action remakes is giving them dollar signs in their eyes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What the hell, Garfield?!

Apparently the book was worse. My roommate says, in the book, Garfield (as another cat) kills and eats an elderly woman who's his owner because she can't feed him anymore.

Seth Macfarlane called Jim Davis out on that one too. haha

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Imagine if Disney's CG animation division goes the way of their traditional animation because Disney just make everything live action.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

The MSJ posted:

Imagine if Disney's CG animation division goes the way of their traditional animation because Disney just make everything live action.

Keep in mind that their 'live action' remakes are still almost entirely (Or in the case of the Lion King, entirely) CGI animated, it's just done in a hyper-realistic style.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I dont think you can tragic backstory your way into sympathetic puppy skinning.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Keep in mind that their 'live action' remakes are still almost entirely (Or in the case of the Lion King, entirely) CGI animated, it's just done in a hyper-realistic style.

But they're all done by VFX studios in London as opposed to any in-house Disney studios.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Speaking of CGI remakes: The BBC just released a trailer for their take on Watership Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3gQ117IKkM

What do you make of that? The part with the fascist rabbits seems like it has potential, but the animation looks pretty cut-rate.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the live action movies were more modern (About contemporary to their release dates), but I had to wonder how they'll make animal-killer sympathetic

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Uncle Wemus posted:

Puppies skinned her parents.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Macaluso posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1070104224057442304

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I knew Emma Stone was attached to this (she has been for a while) but the whole 80s vibe feels like even more of a blatant cash grab than the blatant cash grabs they've already made.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Uncle Wemus posted:

It'll probably be something more like Malefocent, so it might at least be somewhat funny to deconstruct the film as pure propaganda from a merely more liberalized but just as tyrannical old white lady.

Maybe her first foray into incredibly exploitative schemes will in fact be operating a night club.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
A series of increasingly madcap capers until, exhausted and at a loss for what to do, she happens to pet just the softest dog...

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Daphne & Velma already did a running gag where Velma needs to keep killing her A.I. children for parts, so I think it could work that every ten minutes or say cruella just snaps a puppy's neck and tosses it in a bin.

Also, we need a Blondie-esque punk cover of the Ogden Edsl song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4S7gMiImKc

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It will be a prequel to the Glenn Close movie from 1996.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I guess they already did the live-action remake so they had to figure out some other weird spin on it. Although Cruella De Vil does sound like a pretty good punk band/singer name.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

K. Waste posted:

Daphne & Velma already did a running gag where Velma needs to keep killing her A.I. children for parts,

Sorry, what?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently the book was worse. My roommate says, in the book, Garfield (as another cat) kills and eats an elderly woman who's his owner because she can't feed him anymore.

Seth Macfarlane called Jim Davis out on that one too. haha

He doesn't kill her because she can't feed him, it's actually caused by something much weirder and creepier than that:

Seriously, everyone should check out Garfeild and his Nine Lives. It's good.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

wow

literally nothing about that headline makes sense

Do we know how old Cruella is meant to be? I just can't put a 30-year old in the role, and nothing about Emma Stone makes me think this is the role for her.

Edit: Oh, is it an origin story and she's younger? No thanks.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
In the original movie, Cruella was a classmate of what's her face. They're supposed to be the same age? It's just Cruella smokes 100s and drinks dog blood

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

The_Doctor posted:

Sorry, what?

In Daphne & Velma, Daphne & Velma from scooby-doo are in a high achievers school who are investigating a mystery in which the top students keep disappearing and then turning up as dumbed down shells of themselves.

At one point they discover a locker which is actually a secret passage to where the students are brainwashed, but it's locked so they have to make a temporary incendiary device to melt the lock. Velma has these little, tiny, WALL-E-style robots, which she can apparently repurpose for parts, but not without destroying them. And because they keep getting caught in the act of breaking into the locker, they have to keep doing it over again. In the final gag, Velma's little robot just begs for its life, and Velma covers her eyes preparing to smash it to death with a ball-peen hammer.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Neon Noodle posted:

In the original movie, Cruella was a classmate of what's her face. They're supposed to be the same age? It's just Cruella smokes 100s and drinks dog blood

Huh, I looked it up and you're right. I haven't watched the film in a long time, but they animated her to look really gaunt and ghoulish. Although I do like her background in the book that she was apparently expelled from school for drinking ink.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can see it more easily in the early concept work.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Pick posted:

You can see it more easily in the early concept work.

Oh yeah, especially in the third one. Maybe they wanted her to be a bit scarier in the final version?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The grinch was weak, powerful weak. He was about one second away from crying and cancelling his attempt to steal christmas. He in my opinion should have been one of santas slaves and crawled thru the core of the earth in order to escape, emerging on the other side with a hatred for the bugs who liked christmas. Whos look like fuckin bugs and this almost never gets translated. Cindy lou who is a bug with a squigle

E: specifically also tho id hate that guy for cutting doen the 300 foot tree also, and the film did not need seven plots and three scenes of the grinch drinking coffee or eating waffles

FunkyAl fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 5, 2018

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I know Chuck Jones chat was last page, but it needs to be said that when I think of Chuck Jones I either think of Looney Tunes or I think of a freckled child with bedroom eyes peering over something. Every child he animated was exactly the same. (Not making GBS threads on him, it just has bothered me for so long)

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

FunkyAl posted:

The grinch was weak, powerful weak. He was about one second away from crying and cancelling his attempt to steal christmas. He in my opinion should have been one of santas slaves and crawled thru the core of the earth in order to escape, emerging on the other side with a hatred for the bugs who liked christmas. Whos look like fuckin bugs and this almost never gets translated. Cindy lou who is a bug with a squigle

E: specifically also tho id hate that guy for cutting doen the 300 foot tree also, and the film did not need seven plots and three scenes of the grinch drinking coffee or eating waffles

I really liked the new movie.
It wasn't as good as the Boris Karloff movie, but it was inoffensive to the palette and wasn't ugly. It gave him some legit pathos that didn't really make him or the who as the bad guys. In a way I think they pull the redemption bit a little too fast and hard. The ending though hits the theme of why he hated christmas. Since he was forced to spend it alone as an unloved orphan it really shaded his views towards it, but with the family taking him in, showing him caring, I think that does more as a redemption ending that the whole "But the who's found they didn't need christmas trinkets, and just started singing". Its less ugly than the Live Action film, where there were almost no likable characters in the film

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The ending of original How the Grinch Stole Christmas movie is not that the whos change at all. They learn nothing about Christmas whatsoever.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
It didn't really need it though, as it was a short book, it didn't go into the background of the character, thus it left the Whos pretty innocent as characters. "Oh well we don't have toys and crap? Well let's go out and have some merriment anyways!"

The Grinch didn't need a movie, but adding the background to the Grinch gave him a bit more character, while it didn't really make the Whos out to be bad characters needing to learn a lesson, still this movie was entirely unnecessary, but out of the Dr. Seuss movies made so far, this is probably the best one made.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Cockmaster posted:

Speaking of CGI remakes: The BBC just released a trailer for their take on Watership Down:

What do you make of that? The part with the fascist rabbits seems like it has potential, but the animation looks pretty cut-rate.

If they weren’t afraid to go stylized with the rendering this could’ve held up. But trying for photo realism without the budget means there’s some alright looking shots and a lot of terrible shots.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and the BBC is pretty notorious for having not a great budget, even their flagship shows have pretty poor CGI for stuff that isn't gonna be reused over and over. They've been getting better about alotting those shows a half-way decent SFX budget, but yeah.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2018

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

dirksteadfast posted:

I know Chuck Jones chat was last page, but it needs to be said that when I think of Chuck Jones I either think of Looney Tunes or I think of a freckled child with bedroom eyes peering over something. Every child he animated was exactly the same. (Not making GBS threads on him, it just has bothered me for so long)

My favorite Chuck Jones fact was that he was hired to consult/direct the Daffy vs Donald Duck sequence in Who Framed Roger Rabbit but was let go and had his work cut because his idea was basically too boring (it was just the 'Daffy comes out, no applause, Donald comes out, applause etc' gag).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I gotta say I haven't been excited about the new Lion King but this latest footage is getting me pretty hype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sCybBwKRm0

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cockmaster posted:

This actually looks pretty neat. It's got a Walking with Dinosaurs vibe.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, they're probably somewhat deliberately "unreal" so they can keep all the insane violence without potentially making it adults-only.

e: yeah, a quick look at the cast tells me that at some point they're doing the El-ahrairah and the Black Rabbit of Inlé story, which tells me this is gonna definitely be a "dark poo poo included" adaptation.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2018

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/27/bbc-remake-watership-down-with-less-violence-to-avoid-scarring-c/
For what that's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

“While we won’t shy away from the darkness in the book, visually it won’t be as brutal and scarring.”

Rory Aitken, executive producer

Then why even bother