Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Mordor's bad rep comes from its transparency laws, which demand law enforcement rapidly and freely hand over police reports, in contrast to states like Gondor and Rohan that are far less willing to expedite such matters.

There's something poetic about the principal effect of strong transparency laws being primarily humiliating and publicly shaming criminal defendants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

xrunner posted:

There's something poetic about the principal effect of strong transparency laws being primarily humiliating and publicly shaming criminal defendants.

They sell "haha look at these hosed up CRIMINALS*" tabloids at gas stations. It's pretty skeezy, even for the south.

*haven't seen a day in court

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

They sell "haha look at these hosed up CRIMINALS*" tabloids at gas stations. It's pretty skeezy, even for the south.

*haven't seen a day in court

To be fair the widespread embracement of “LOL FLORIDA” is itself a symptom of that. People that would get sympathy in other states get turned into “lol typical floridian (who desperately needs help) gets tazed for wacky sounding thing, as reported by trustworthy local cops!”

Minnesota Man and Colorado Man and so on do that too but they don’t become memes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I thought Minnesotans were all staid Scandinavian types

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Phlegmish posted:

Once upon a time perhaps, but in the 90s (and before) the population was shrinking and Gov. Jesse "the Body" Ventura took rational measures to address that. Like welcoming Somali and Hmung refugees, abolishing out of state tuition to bring in (future) college educated Americans, etc. It's as diverse as the Prairie gets now. Really the only "bad" immigrants MN got out of the deal was loving stupid Texans who hosed up their state and then came here and voted for shitheads like T-Paw. Everybody else can stay but get the Texan Trash the gently caress out of Minnesota ASAP.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually it's Jesse "the Voice" Ventura, thank you ver much

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Phlegmish posted:

They can also be cunning criminals too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Je2WxsqWA

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

chairface posted:

Once upon a time perhaps, but in the 90s (and before) the population was shrinking and Gov. Jesse "the Body" Ventura took rational measures to address that. Like welcoming Somali and Hmung refugees

The Hmong settling in MN predates Ventura by like two decades. They also emigrated to eastern Wisconsin around that time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

chairface posted:

Once upon a time perhaps, but in the 90s (and before) the population was shrinking and Gov. Jesse "the Body" Ventura took rational measures to address that. Like welcoming Somali and Hmung refugees, abolishing out of state tuition to bring in (future) college educated Americans, etc. It's as diverse as the Prairie gets now. Really the only "bad" immigrants MN got out of the deal was loving stupid Texans who hosed up their state and then came here and voted for shitheads like T-Paw. Everybody else can stay but get the Texan Trash the gently caress out of Minnesota ASAP.

Lol even among my left wing bubble of texas friends I’ve never heard even thirdhand of a single person being like “drat I really wanna go to Minnesota!”, let alone actually doing it. (But then also somehow turning conservative in your fantasy?) If you were from Denver or hell even Austin I’d believe it but lol

Maybe your white midwest state is mainly influenced by its own lovely whites? (Maybe conservative trash texans are kinda... the exact people that stay in loving Texas for obvious reasons??)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol even among my left wing bubble of texas friends I’ve never heard even thirdhand of a single person being like “drat I really wanna go to Minnesota!”, let alone actually doing it. (But then also somehow turning conservative in your fantasy?) If you were from Denver or hell even Austin I’d believe it but lol

Maybe your white midwest state is mainly influenced by its own lovely whites? (Maybe conservative trash texans are kinda... the exact people that stay in loving Texas for obvious reasons??)

texas is the worst state in the union

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Why would anyone live in Minnesota when there are like a billion different places in the same country where it never snows?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FreudianSlippers posted:

Why would anyone live in Minnesota when there are like a billion different places in the same country where it never snows?

I don't think there's a billion places in South Florida, broheim.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
there's two schools of thought on where the worst places to live in the united states are

on the one hand, the upper peninsula is out of the major prevailing winds from major hard targets and population centers so you'd be able to survive the nuclear fallout when the rotten edifice of empire inevitably comes crashing down

but on the other hand, death would likely be a mercy in such cases, in which case i recommend living in areas where you're likely to be incinerated in the initial blasts, like by submarine bases or command and control infrastructure.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
nevermind, there's apparently some disagreement on that first point. you might want oregon instead

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

fishmech posted:

I don't think there's a billion places in South Florida, broheim.

I'd settle for any place that actually has summer where you can actually see the sun for more than a hour per in the winter.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 5, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It hasn’t snowed in San Francisco since 1976, San Diego since 1967, Los Angeles since 1962.

Those were freak occurrences back then and they are probably less likely today.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

lol at living in some sterile piss-warm hellscape that doesn't have a strong showing of all four seasons

Death to the sun belt.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Platystemon posted:

It hasn’t snowed in San Francisco since 1976, San Diego since 1967, Los Angeles since 1962.

On the other hand, Houston got snow less than a month ago.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

Houston is a hot muggy jungle wasteland in the summer, but it gets below freezing at night at least a few days every winter, and snows there every two or three years. Usually just a dusting but real snow is not that rare either.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Lol @ all the jealous Minnesota hate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

According to Google it's snowed 38 times in Houston since the 1890s almost all of it barely a dusting.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 5, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Brownsville has had “measurable” snowfall thrice since 1895.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

fishmech posted:

it did? I live here and didn't know that

We had a hard freeze but I didn't know it actually snowed

FreudianSlippers posted:

According to Google it's snowed 38 times in Houston since the 1890s almost all of it barely a dusting.

Yeah, there are actual pictures in my HS yearbook of people marveling at the snowfall during one of our school days and there's almost none on the ground and it's such a light snowfall that it looks like a weird prank photo of people just being jubilant at nothing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Lol @ all the jealous Minnesota hate.

The Twin Cities own. Prince owns. The Replacements own. Husker Du owns.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

True, but we have ash-fall from forest fires. It's kind of like snow!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No Safe Word posted:

it did? I live here and didn't know that

We had a hard freeze but I didn't know it actually snowed

Yeah
https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/1062395409077809153?s=20

NWS later recorded it as the earliest snow on record for Houston, the previous record being November 23, 1979.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

lol at living in some sterile piss-warm hellscape that doesn't have a strong showing of all four seasons

Death to the sun belt.

Amen. I never got the "wah it gets cold sometimes" whining.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Minenfeld! posted:

Amen. I never got the "wah it gets cold sometimes" whining.

How cold does Minnesota and the American Mid-West get in winter? I'm from Norway and a couple of years ago I spent time in Saskatchewan in Canada, and I was quite literally shocked at how cold it got during the winter, which lasted for something like half a year it seemed.

Gulf Stream and proximitiy to oceans in general make a hell of a difference it seems.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Randarkman posted:

How cold does Minnesota and the American Mid-West get in winter? I'm from Norway and a couple of years ago I spent time in Saskatchewan in Canada, and I was quite literally shocked at how cold it got during the winter, which lasted for something like half a year it seemed.

Gulf Stream and proximitiy to oceans in general make a hell of a difference it seems.

It varies depending on the year, but -17 Celsius is common. Colder than that happens pretty frequently, but never for very long.

This is all from the Twin Cities perspective, mind. There's parts of the state that can get way colder than others, and I might be forgetting other standout incidents.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

One of my formative memories is when I was 16, and visiting my grandparents in Cape Coral Florida. And just being horrified at this endless flat fart land of gross warmth and soup air. Settled across a pre-fab landscape of strip malls, condos, and golf courses.
Than while coming home, flying back at La Guardia, and just practically crying tears of joy at the sight of the organic metropolitan grit and dynamic down to earth weather.

I knew who I was at that moment...

Sun Belt delenda est.
May satan's teeth gnaw on all snowbirds forever.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Answer above this for the midwest. I live in New England though. The average high temperature for me in the coldest month (January) is just above freezing. We get basically three months of each season's weather.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

It varies depending on the year, but -17 Celsius is common. Colder than that happens pretty frequently, but never for very long.

This is all from the Twin Cities perspective, mind. There's parts of the state that can get way colder than others, and I might be forgetting other standout incidents.

Oh, that's not far from what I can say I'm used to, though currently I live in a city where below freezing is out of the norm (I grew up where between 10 and 20 neg celsius was common during winter).

In Saskatchewan (Saskatoon to be precise) it seemed that between -30 and -40 celsius was the norm, and in the first week I was there it was closer to -50, and then you add in a healthy bit of windchill. Thank God it's pretty dry there.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 5, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The last couple winters I think it was dropping to like -40 or -50 at times? I haven't been here in winter in a while, when I left winter had basically vanished and it didn't even snow anymore but from what I've heard it's back with a vengeance.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

Answer above this for the midwest. I live in New England though. The average high temperature for me in the coldest month (January) is just above freezing. We get basically three months of each season's weather.

I love living in rl Click Clock Woods.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

I love living in rl Click Clock Woods.

You're a CTgoon, too. I was replying to the Norwegian fellow.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Randarkman posted:

Please sponsor an EU passport for me? My ancestors came over to Wisconsin from Mosjøen in the 1880s but Norway's jus sanguinis laws don't go back that far.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
America is a hell of a lot colder than europe, dog. Chicago, one of the coldest & most miserable winter cities in the US, is on the same lattitude as loving Rome

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Peanut President posted:

America is a hell of a lot colder than europe, dog. Chicago, one of the coldest & most miserable winter cities in the US, is on the same lattitude as loving Rome

On the other hand...

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
That’s a cool map but they sure hosed up on the legend. Not just the typo but also the scaling is pretty poorly chosen. Like 1599 to 2001 is 3 grades but 2001 to 2499 is the same color.

I’m surprised that Central Iceland gets so few hours of sun given that it never rains there, but I guess it can be cloudy all the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't worry the gulf stream's dying out so those Romans can start living my life real soon.