Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. What are people's top two or three DC stories?

Sandman #54, First Issue Special #2, Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #73.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

bessantj posted:

Moore/Bisette Swamp Thing and Fourth World (or are those too broad to count as stories?)

I'll mention Great Darkness Saga because look at my username

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Sandman #54, First Issue Special #2

When I got rid of my Sandman floppies, that was the one issue I kept. And I genuinely like that Green Team comic. The ending of the pleasure machine story is delightfully bizarre.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bessantj posted:

Not sure what one of them is, but the other one is The New Frontier.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I will also throw in my vote for Sandman #54. I will also add almost any issue of Justice League International (aka the BWAHAHAHAHA era, AKA The Seinfeld Era), Starman #34, and Animal Man #5.

I've always been more of a Marvel guy. A lot of the DC stuff I love is from sub publishing houses like Vertigo or Wildstorm. I don't hate the core world, and there are some characters I love like Mr.Miracle, Deadman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, Starman, Blue Beetle, and Guy Gardner.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 5, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Servoret posted:

When I got rid of my Sandman floppies, that was the one issue I kept.

That was the "genuinely great comic that seems like a joke" pick. Also, it has Wildcat in the story so it's definitely part of DC continuity. :colbert:

quote:

And I genuinely like that Green Team comic. The ending of the pleasure machine story is delightfully bizarre.

And that was the "obscure and also really awful" pick. It was a choice between that or Brother Power the Geek.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

And that was the "obscure and also really awful" pick. It was a choice between that or Brother Power the Geek.

Which reminds me that Keith Giffen's Ambush Bug comics would be up there in my favorite DC stories list, especially the "History of the DC Universe" issue in the first mini-series where he lists all the characters DC was too embarrassed to put in Who's Who.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Servoret posted:

Which reminds me that Keith Giffen's Ambush Bug comics would be up there in my favorite DC stories list, especially the "History of the DC Universe" issue in the first mini-series where he lists all the characters DC was too embarrassed to put in Who's Who.

You'll note that I did not use Ultra the Multi-Alien because he is cool and good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

- Kingdom Come
- Batman/Planetary: A Night on Earth
- JLA #5: "Woman of Tomorrow"

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

bessantj posted:

"What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?" (Action Comics #775)
The "Return of Barry Allen" arc (Flash #73-79)
The "Crawling from the Wreckage" arc (Doom Patrol #-19-20)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TwoPair posted:

Up, Up, And Away is the best Superman story ever don't @ me

Is that collected somewhere?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

bessantj posted:

Final Crisis
JLA: Earth 2
The Multiversity

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cheap Trick posted:

Final Crisis
JLA: Earth 2
The Multiversity

I was going to go Seven Soldiers-Final Crisis-Multiversity for the continuity but I do love Earth 2

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hitman #34 everybody ought to read. Honestly Hitman's the only Ennis thing I still enjoy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Batman year one is still my favourite Batman story. New Frontier is my favourite DC story. Death of Superman is my childhood favourite. It’s got flaws but I love it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Is that collected somewhere?

Yeah it's in trade.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Coyote Gospel" and Superman and Batman: World's Funnest

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can’t wait for a Mister Miracle hardcover. I want to see how it holds up in one solid tome.

For now, I have to put All Star Superman and Kingdom Come on top. Batman is my favorite character, but I don’t have a favorite Batman story. There’s no definitive Batman to me.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bessantj posted:

Batman: Year One
All-Star Superman

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Dark Nights: Metal good and fun? Anything I need to read prior?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Dark Nights: Metal good and fun? Anything I need to read prior?

It is... interesting. It's the kind of ridiculous story that's either gonna make you go "This is awesome", "This is stupid-awesome", or "This is the dumbest poo poo I've ever read". Don't worry, it doesn't take long to get to the point where you'll know which camp you're in. I think all the backstory is fairly well explained in there; it uses concepts from Final Crisis/The Return of Bruce Wayne, but again, explains them/recaps them in simple enough terms that you don't need to go back and read those if you haven't already. The only other thing you really need to know is Darkseid is a baby at the start because of the Justice League storyline Darkseid War. Johns wrote it. It's not good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the replies. I've been meaning to read more DC stuff. What about non DC/Marvel stuff. Saga is supposed to be good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bessantj posted:

Flash: Return of Barry Allen
Superman: The Man of Steel #1-6

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I am perturbed the The Return of Barry Allen existing and also the current DC Universe that we have. Like....did they not understand the lesson?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Return of Barry is probably the best moment of Waids run on the book.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the replies. I've been meaning to read more DC stuff. What about non DC/Marvel stuff. Saga is supposed to be good.

Sex Criminals
TMNT (Mirage or IDW)
A Contract With God
Curse Words
Maus
Major Bummer (Technically DC since they own Wildstorm)
Astro City has technically been DC for a while but dont let that stop you its amazing
Hellboy
Chew
Bone
Concrete
Usage Yojimbo
East of West
Criminal
The Tick
Powers (originally an Image book)

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 5, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I am perturbed the The Return of Barry Allen existing and also the current DC Universe that we have. Like....did they not understand the lesson?

You're probably thinking of a later story. The Return of Barry Allen isn't actually about the return of Barry Allen.

bessantj posted:

I'm enjoying The Wicked + The Divine.
Casanova.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Return of Barry is probably the best moment of Waids run on the book.

Somebody said that story was the only Flash story I needed to read. There's a strong argument for it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody said that story was the only Flash story I needed to read. There's a strong argument for it.

The problem with that is it's a meta-story. The Return of Barry Allen depends on the reader knowing and caring about who Barry Allen is, why his death is a big deal, and how Wally has been dealing with it (though on that last point, I think Waid does a good job of selling the concept). It's deeply embedded in almost ten years of continuity at the point it was published. It would be like saying "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is the only Superman story you need to read; yes, it's extremely good but it also is building on foundational understandings of the characters.

The best thing about Return of Barry Allen is that it doesn't stand on its own. The severely underrated except by cool but extremely nerdy people Messner-Loebs run on The Flash was a five year long story about Wally trying to figure out how to replace Barry (that story about Wally trying to find bullets in a dark movie theater was Messner-Loebs; so was the story about Wally jumping out of a passenger jet and trying to figure out how to save a stewardess on the way down). So Waid made his second story arc on the book (after the then mandatory "Year One" story) the climax to that. The Return of Barry Allen is the best example of how long running continuity can be used well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It also gave us the revamp of Max Mercury, the best speedster.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

The best thing about Return of Barry Allen is that it doesn't stand on its own. The severely underrated except by cool but extremely nerdy people Messner-Loebs run on The Flash was a five year long story about Wally trying to figure out how to replace Barry (that story about Wally trying to find bullets in a dark movie theater was Messner-Loebs; so was the story about Wally jumping out of a passenger jet and trying to figure out how to save a stewardess on the way down). So Waid made his second story arc on the book (after the then mandatory "Year One" story) the climax to that. The Return of Barry Allen is the best example of how long running continuity can be used well.

Yeah, Waid always used to say his favourite Flash writer was Bill Messner-Loebs.

But at the same time, a lot of the Mike Baron / Messner-Loebs supporting cast (Tina McGee, Chunk etc.) and even most of the Rogues don't really appear in Waid's run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Waid didn't really like the classic Rogues. If you recall he killed them off in Underworld Unleashed and was later ordered to bring them back.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Waid didn't really like the classic Rogues. If you recall he killed them off in Underworld Unleashed and was later ordered to bring them back.

I'm slowly making my way through Waid's Flash on Hoopla, reading most of it for the first time. What did he have against the Rogues, do you know? I love those guys.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Skwirl posted:

You're probably thinking of a later story. The Return of Barry Allen isn't actually about the return of Barry Allen.

That is what I said, yes. I'm upset because later, Barry Allen actually did return. He should not have.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

That is what I said, yes. I'm upset because later, Barry Allen actually did return. He should not have.

Ahh, I misunderstood your post.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Best DC stuff to read according to Madkal:

New Frontier
Kingdom Come
Batman: Year One
Batman: Cult
Swamp Thing by Moore
Swamp Thing by Soule
Flash by Waid
Green Arrow by Grell
Green Arrow by Lemire
Suicide Squad by Ostrander
Spectre by Ostrander
Catwoman by Brubaker
Gotham Central by Rucka/Brubaker

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm slowly making my way through Waid's Flash on Hoopla, reading most of it for the first time. What did he have against the Rogues, do you know? I love those guys.

I don't know. Waid is a huge trivia nerd and loves the weird bits of comics, so I don't know why he doesn't really care for the classic Flash rogues. Personally, I put them up there with Batman and Spider-man's enemies for fun even back to the silver age.

SonicRulez posted:

When Waid's first Christmas issue came out, my comic book source handed the issue to me and said, "Don't turn to the last page."

"Why?" I said, flipping immediately to that. Then, "WHAT THE HELL?! HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO DO THAT!!" I was mad enough to write a letter. And then the story turned out great.

Johns does not have that defense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

The problem with that is it's a meta-story. The Return of Barry Allen depends on the reader knowing and caring about who Barry Allen is, why his death is a big deal, and how Wally has been dealing with it (though on that last point, I think Waid does a good job of selling the concept). It's deeply embedded in almost ten years of continuity at the point it was published. It would be like saying "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" is the only Superman story you need to read; yes, it's extremely good but it also is building on foundational understandings of the characters.

It was my first Flash story. Worked out pretty well. I had some basic concept of who Barry was, how he died and all that, but I'd never read a full Flash story before.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

It was my first Flash story. Worked out pretty well. I had some basic concept of who Barry was, how he died and all that, but I'd never read a full Flash story before.

And if you did you would wonder why anyone would want him back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think Waid just thought it was time for new villains or something.