Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A two colour scale is always easier to read and you'd have thought this would be a pretty solved problem in their engine by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is a dark blue<-->light blue<-->light red<-->dark red gradient the most safe choice for colorblindness?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It’s easy to fix in isolation but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to keep each map mode visually distinct, which is a lot easier with single colour.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the soundtrack turns out, I don't believe any music teasers have been released yet?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Oh... okay :(
Just lol if you let posters on this website determine how you work.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Bro, you go from one colour to a mixed colour over to the third

Red - purple - blue is kang

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Groogy posted:

Don't listen to these guys groogs, I know you've always wanted to do a scale using just the hue with constant saturation and value. Don't let your dreams be memes

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just lol if you let posters on this website determine how you work.

Just lol if you design any UI elements as a developer without first checking with your UX team.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

Just lol if you design any UI elements as a developer without first checking with your UX team.
Just lol if you have a UX team.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Just lol if you have a UX team.

Just lol if you have a team.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

All these posts remind me that it was a good idea to retire from IT.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if Paradox has any dedicated cartographers on staff?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

VostokProgram posted:

Don't listen to these guys groogs, I know you've always wanted to do a scale using just the hue with constant saturation and value. Don't let your dreams be memes

A variant of this seems like an easy way to show multiple orthogonal bits of information in a single mapmode.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

VostokProgram posted:

... I need this now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SlothfulCobra posted:

I dunno if Trin Tragula is a "dedicated cartographer" but he sure knows his map poo poo. He's been involved with all of the map and country changes in EU4 (from what I can see as an observer reading DDs).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

You don't have to look much past the relative position of the continents in EU4 to conclude that no, they do not.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Some content designers (and the occasional QA) have a bigger interest in map work than others. I honestly don't think a full cartography degree would add a whole lot, the same as a history degree: useful to have but not necessary or even particularly relevant in daily operations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

PittTheElder posted:

You don't have to look much past the relative position of the continents in EU4 to conclude that no, they do not.

I've never played EU4 and just looked up the map, and lmao

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The only right ones are the Med and Africa??? :psyduck:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is no "right" map projection, only the ones that promote your specific political / operational requirements (such as a huge scandinavia)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, for EU, they have gameplay reasons for shifting the Americas north.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yeah, Baronjutter's got a different projection there. I think Paradox used Miller?

I'm fairly certain the only map fuckery they've actually done is shifting the Americas north (so colonial ranges shake out the way they want?) and shortening South America (so it fits on the map?)

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Couldn't they have solved the problem by changing the sizes and shapes of sea zones? Or is it that players will naturally assume 'Go straight west to get to where you want to be' and they'd end up in Newfoundland rather than Florida? Even that, I think, could be resolved by sea zone shaping. It might lead to some weird looking zones, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They could have solved it by using a globe instead of a map

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Here's a better comparison with the HOI4 map (same projection). I was wrong: Australia and New Zealand also get squidged up a little and Kamchatka gets squashed a bit (Britain is further out to sea in HOI so they can cram more provinces into the Channel). Note to Paradox: put the meridian through Florence, that way the map breaks across the Bering Strait and not any landmasses.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

EricBauman posted:

Couldn't they have solved the problem by changing the sizes and shapes of sea zones? Or is it that players will naturally assume 'Go straight west to get to where you want to be' and they'd end up in Newfoundland rather than Florida? Even that, I think, could be resolved by sea zone shaping. It might lead to some weird looking zones, though.

It doesn't count seazones to calculate distance, but uses some kind of pixel counting formula, which is a pretty simple/easy way to do things. Honestly I don't have any issue with the Americas being shifted north. It works. It's fine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

More political bias is contained in relative province size reinscribing the "fullness" of the metropole compared to the "emptiness" of the periphery, imo

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Some content designers (and the occasional QA) have a bigger interest in map work than others.

😅

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

More political bias is contained in relative province size reinscribing the "fullness" of the metropole compared to the "emptiness" of the periphery, imo

hell yeah, just check how squeezed Africa is

Besides globes being naturally more awesome, I am curious to know the technicalities of making a globe map for a game instead of the usual flattening projection, is it way worse in terms of performance, rendering fuckery or something like that?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

dead comedy forums posted:

Besides globes being naturally more awesome, I am curious to know the technicalities of making a globe map for a game instead of the usual flattening projection, is it way worse in terms of performance, rendering fuckery or something like that?

Biggest issue is usability- players are used to 2d maps and have more trouble grokking globes or 3d maps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's also impossible to get an overview of everything since it doesn't even show half, the bits near the sides won't be clear enough to be useful. I hope they never use globes.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This thread has gone crazy. Globes for strategy games are the worst possible idea, and fiddling with projections to improve gameplay is actually smart design. Just make sure Stalingrad is in the right spot and away you go.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

dead comedy forums posted:

In the first map posted, grey is the game's map, blue is the actual world map, according to some kind of projection at least (I'm not a map nerd, idk). So Africa is actually larger in game than in the real world. And the stretching that's happening seems largely uniform across the board.

The HoI4 map has africa being just about spot on.

Some Europa Engine/early Clausewitz Engine games had some truly hideous map projections, but honestly, Paradox's current map projections are basically fine. Some things are stretched out a little in EU4, but I don't find that to be a big deal. And I don't mind shifting the Americas north if there are valid gameplay reasons for it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 6, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Imperator's map seems to slightly rotate as you pan across it, its neat.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Imperator's map seems to slightly rotate as you pan across it, its neat.

I thought they were mapping it onto a slice of the globe or something at first, but apparently it's just camera trickery. Either way, it looks really awesome.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Note to Paradox: put the meridian through Florence, that way the map breaks across the Bering Strait and not any landmasses.

That would mean putting Denmark in the middle of the map. :nono:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Some Europa Engine/early Clausewitz Engine games had some truly hideous map projections, but honestly, Paradox's current map projections are basically fine. Some things are stretched out a little in EU4, but I don't find that to be a big deal. And I don't mind shifting the Americas north if there are valid gameplay reasons for it.

AFAIK the shifting is not really a gameplay reason, it's to make it fit into a smaller rectangular area so you need less map. It actually fucks up the game play (in a very limited way) in that colonial distances are weird as hell.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 6, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It way overinflates the size of Europe, which directly affects how regions get addressed, since people's interest in province density is generally based on how big the provinces look in game rather than the actual land area in reality. When I was doing my Korea suggestion (and a bunch since too) there were a lot of comments about how tiny the provinces are there now; it's got 20, on a peninsula that in reality is larger than Great Britain, which in game has 40, and not even super tiny ones either, whereas a lot of Korea's are. The same sorts of comments for places like Japan and Java; if you adjust those to the sizes they are in reality, their provinces be huge compared to most places in Europe, but because in game they look tiny, people think they're represented just as well.

Now there's an argument that this is fine considering most of Paradox's games' focus, but it definitely has an impact.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

NWS' Steam and Iron and Rule the Waves use an actual globe.

Granted in RtW its mostly unnecessary cause most of the time you'll be zoomed in to an area only a few dozen kilometers across.

It plays a bigger role in Steam and Iron's historical campaigns though, making sure travel ranges and such are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Is Imperator equal-area? It looks conic to me, and I've advocated for the Albers Conic before. Arabia looks like it's about the right size relative to Europe, which is how I usually try to judge these things.