Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I thought Rutger looked more Gambino than Guts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Couldn’t the berserk armor just kind of look like more metallic Venom when it encloses the head

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just want that hypothetical scene to be perfect and look as real as possible. With a bleeding animatronic just sort of break down and snap about bones and sinew. Occasionally dropping some bits of flesh as the thing just bleeds itself back together for another swing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
A really good live action version of the Zodd introduction scene would be so amazing.

It will never happen, but I can dream.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Piriwi posted:

It should really be prime Rutger Hauer. Guts facial expressions are basically his...
Wow this would work. The thought never crossed my mind.

Honestly though, I think it has to be a collection of new actors and actresses. Some group where you can say, we're doing a five year series, you better expect to gain 50lb of muscle before then or you get fired. Forget faces that people know, audition for people that can deliver the story, including the action, the grit, and the drama.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Although I think Zoe Kravitz and Dave Bautista would make a good Casca and Pippin respectively.

Although I'd say cast some old Shakespearean actors like Ian Mckellan or Brian Blessed to voice Zodd and The Skeleton Kinght, to add some gravitas to the characters and show just how ancient they are.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 22, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Although I think Zoe Kravitz and Dave Bautista would make a good Casca and Pippin respectively.

Although I'd say cast some old Shakespearean actors like Ian Mckellan or Brian Blessed to voice Zodd and The Skeleton Kinght, to add some gravitas to the characters and show just how ancient they are.

Ian McShane as the voice of the Skull Knight. Mike Patton as the voice of Zodd.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Brian Blessed as Azan.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You would definitely need to find someone that can ride and handle being in full Skull Knight armor to pantomime and fight. A good voice that can be calm, yet forceful in reverb is secondary than getting that kind of regal death look that Skull Knight has just right, because he could probably be good advertisement alone for a Berserk show/movie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crabtree posted:

You would definitely need to find someone that can ride and handle being in full Skull Knight armor to pantomime and fight. A good voice that can be calm, yet forceful in reverb is secondary than getting that kind of regal death look that Skull Knight has just right, because he could probably be good advertisement alone for a Berserk show/movie.

Tony Todd.

And if we're casting people in their prime Angela Bassett as Casca.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat she does look like Casca.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Agreed! His performance in Candyman makes me believe he would make a drat fine Skull Knight.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Koalas Massacre posted:

Tony Todd.

And if we're casting people in their prime Angela Bassett as Casca.

Actually no, both of these are perfect.

Tony Todd would make the best goddamn Skull Knight holy gently caress.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crabtree posted:

You don't need the same person to both voice and physically play the same character in all cases. James Earl Jones was not wearing the Darth Vader suit, and Doug Jones got dubbed over for the faun in Pan's Labyrinth.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why in God's name would he not just be CGI? You don't exactly find too many 8-foot-tall brick shithouses walking around, and he's literally always in full armor.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why in God's name would he not just be CGI? You don't exactly find too many 8-foot-tall brick shithouses walking around, and he's literally always in full armor.

Just have the dude who played Xerxes in 300 bulk up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ving Rhames as Isidro

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Because CGI can look like absolute poo poo if its purely that and for the sake of a picture I would like the actors to actually act with and at something physical.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crabtree posted:

Because CGI can look like absolute poo poo if its purely that and for the sake of a picture I would like the actors to actually act with and at something physical.

This is basically a solved problem. What you essentially do is, you have a stuntman or crew member as a stand-in for the CGI character on set, so that the actors can actually act with and at something physical; you then digitally erase the stand-in and paint the final CGI over.

To see this in practice, look at how the Guardians of the Galaxy movies handled Rocket Raccoon. In the final product, Rocket is miniature Bradley Cooper. On set, Rocket was James Gunn's brother wearing a Greenman suit and waddling around on his knees.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Just get the guy who did Pyramid Head for the Silent Hill movies in, he's good at being tall and bulky. Basic perspective tricks can mask the rest.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge posted:

Just have the dude who played Xerxes in 300 bulk up.

He's currently playing Hector in Westworld. :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
mel gibson could have been an excellent guts

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

CGI can look amazing, yes. But :lol: if you think berserk is ever getting the budget to make something that looks good

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
So today I had two seperate songs about Griffith and his ambitions come on one after another on my power metal Pandora station.
In case they are curious they were these:
Eternal Fire-Beast in Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwI-Lrdeyc8
Kingdom Battle Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXICJKSq1T0

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Billzasilver posted:

CGI can look amazing, yes. But :lol: if you think berserk is ever getting the budget to make something that looks good

Or another anime before 2030...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Toadsniff posted:

Our generation will make anime adaptations as bland as the worst of the MCU. Zach Snyder will still be there to make interesting adaptations so we can hate him for it.

In the end, we will wish it had never happened.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Toadsniff posted:

Silver linings, recent offerings considered.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The live action trailer Young Animal released for Berserk's newest volume will really spoil any appetite for an adaption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm5T5Ok2Gms

The first 7 seconds are decent, but then...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whenever they use non-Susumu Hirasawa music for Berserk, I am disappointed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ccs posted:

The live action trailer Young Animal released for Berserk's newest volume will really spoil any appetite for an adaption.

It becomes amazing?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Augus posted:

It becomes amazing?

That is a word for it, the wrong word, but good job on the effort at least.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ccs posted:

Holy gently caress :stare: That's like Birdemic tier

I'm gonna crosspost that to CineD

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

:hb::ghost::spooky:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Japanese cinema has come a long way, except when it comes to like actual CG production values where it always feels like some college interns were foolin around to make it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Japanese cinema has come a long way, except when it comes to like actual CG production values where it always feels like some college interns were foolin around to make it.

That doesn't explain the weird-as-gently caress leer at the end.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

They never should have shown his face, but tough JDM dudes love mean muggin it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Isn't he a comedian or part of a duo or something?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

It’s a japanese singer and the ad is literally a joke

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah it’s an odd bit of Japanese humor where a singer known for being ‘black’ because he’s really tan is playing the Black Swordsman. It’s why he sings at the end.
The bad Cg might be on purpose or because they had a $5 budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The joke is that Berserk anything has been bad for so long that we took it as legit.