Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Is this it? Is this the worst opinion to have ever been shared on the internet?

I'm awe-struck, I feel like I should commemorate this somehow. Maybe I'll superglue a bunch of cartridge holders to my switch in celebration of this awesome moment
You of all people should know a poo poo troll post when you see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Macaluso posted:

Explain how

I’m just messing about, it owns

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

You of all people should know a poo poo troll post when you see it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Commissar Ken posted:

I know its been said before but drat I hope a port or remaster of this is the next thing Sakurai works on. I loved it at the time and I really wanna go play through it again but I hesitate because I dont wanna wrassle with the controls.

kid icarus is begging for a console port that controls like splatoon

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Shammypants posted:

I’m just messing about, it owns

Heck yes.

I brought my WiiU up north with me for Christmas one year and it was a total hassle cause it was pretty bulky. It also resulted in my putting my laptop and tablet in my suitcase since the WiiU was taking up the whole laptop bag, which resulted in: the TSA going through my suitcase both going up and coming back down (I think the laptop in there made them nervous) and my tablet getting broken because the TSA hosed around with it. Also the tablet pen was missing when I got home and the suitcase was still partially unzipped. Plus the WiiU had to be plugged in so it was worthless on the plane.

The Switch fits perfectly in my laptop bag and I can play that poo poo on the plane. It owns so hard. What a great system.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I mean ya Sham is playing but lol if you haven't come across angry Nintendo nerds who feel that the switch is being held back by its portability and should have been a "proper console" from the beginning

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i sure haven't

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I mean it's a pretty minimal hardware bump from WiiU to Switch, I can see how people who were into the console side of things might have been disappointed with Nintendo's next leap. As a portable nerd, its been the best of both worlds for me since the day it was announced.

It's literally the best possible successor a gba/DS/3ds fan could have asked for, especially if you weren't crazy for the 2 screens/3d gimmicks to begin with. Hell, it even attracted all sorts of Vita refugees (for better or for worse)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Trying to watch smash videos to get hype, but all the nerds talking in a secret language I dont understand

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's weird because the Wii was just 2 Gamecubes and the WiiU was like 1.5 Wiis and now I'm finding out that the Switch is just 1.5 WiiUs. It's pretty cool that someone was able to get Wolfenstein 2 to run on less than 5 Gamecubes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Switch is considerably stronger than the Wii U. Like, it's not as huge a leap as the PS4 or XB1 but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Trying to watch smash videos to get hype, but all the nerds talking in a secret language I dont understand

an up-b is the move that happens when you press up and b at the same time

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is 37 dollars at Walmart.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's pretty neat that it's as powerful as it is and manages heat well in such a tiny frame

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Oh wow, a kindred spirit. Although they don't even have to try to eat me, huge things in the water scare the poo poo out of me regardless. There were these giant whales in Beyond Good And Evil that you had to photograph for money and completion and they were completely harmless but drat would I jump if they popped up a little too close to my ship.
I’m guessing this is your nightmare.

I remember in another thread way back someone got freaked out by one of those sneaking up from behind in Endless Ocean.

Imagined posted:

I've been playing online multiplayer games since the late 90s, starting with Tribes, Q3A, UT99, etc. Rarely do I ever get mad or take it too seriously.

Except, for some reason, Rocket League. That game has me raging and cursing at the screen like the biggest stereotype of a toxic gamer. I yell at everyone. My team, my opponents, and especially my dumb idiot self WHO CAN'T loving HIT THE BALL WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU rear end in a top hat IT'S RIGHT loving THERE.

Why does this game and only this game affect me this way, and why do I love it?
Don’t think I raged while playing Rocket League...but the self hate is real. I feel bad when I gently caress up as the obvious weak link paired up with two others flying all over the place.

Heath posted:

I'm kind of shocked that Shikhondo doesn't allow for tate mode. It's a great shooter but goddamn what an oversight
From screens the play field looks about square, probably didn’t bother cause tate wouldn’t really make a difference for it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

The Switch is considerably stronger than the Wii U. Like, it's not as huge a leap as the PS4 or XB1 but it's nothing to sneeze at.

It's a solid little device, definitely the strongest portable ever made. But I can't argue with the notion that a console form factor would have offered more horsepower than a tablet configuration, something closer to PS4/xbone output.

I own a PS4 though so this is portable form factor is just fine with me. I very rarely dock the switch these days, portable is just too good.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

an up-b is the move that happens when you press up and b at the same time

Talking about 'techs' and I gather air dash has changed somehow but none of them explain how. Just 'with the air dash nerf new pikachu fucks'

Not a big deal gonna button mash and they be a fire emblem guy and sword everything to death

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I can hold my own in like 80% of the online games I've played but Smash is going to put me into a world of hurt.

I'm not great at fighting games, and I haven't really played a Smash since Melee.

I'm going to get loving worked over online, for sure.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

fighting games are one of the genres where esports nerds rival enterprise software engineers in finding new and innovative ways to blend simple concepts into an indistinct and unrecognizable paste for the sake of talking faster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Talking about 'techs' and I gather air dash has changed somehow but none of them explain how. Just 'with the air dash nerf new pikachu fucks'

Not a big deal gonna button mash and they be a fire emblem guy and sword everything to death

Prepare to get wrecked online*

Starting 3-4 weeks after release**

**Unless Nintendo implemented a TruSkill system or equivalent

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

air dodge has been changed where you can do it in specific directions to get some momentum but there's alot more lag after doing an air dodge before you can do anything so you can't spam it and you can screw up your recovery back to the stage if you do it at the wrong time

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Prepare to get wrecked online*

Starting 3-4 weeks after release**

**Unless Nintendo implemented a TruSkill system or equivalent

Luckily there seem to be good tools to now play against serious nerds.

You can choose you preferences for online at the start. Which means as long as you keep items and stage hazards on you will never fight anyone who is serious.

Also there is a whole tier of competitive you have to fight your way into and then turn on on purpose.

The direct said that high tier is what they will watch for buffs/nerfs.

So bottom line is good news you can suck and fight kids and it should be fun and fine!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raserys posted:

i sure haven't

I definitely remember it being A Thing back when the Switch was first announced/released. I'm pretty certain there were even people ITT who were disappointed it wasn't a "real" console, but of course then everyone realized that the Switch is the ultimate video game machine once games started coming out.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It’s weak but that’s not entirely Nintendo’s fault. Sales futures were uncertain and there wasn’t a better chip available. The QC issues and lack of certain features on their controllers (and inclusion of unneeded elements) is their fault and worth being irritated about.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I liked three the most because I didn't have to do a bunch of pointless backtracking while the design still felt more open ended

gah! backtracking is good

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i like a good linear game but honestly why even play metroid if you dont like to track backwards

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I definitely remember it being A Thing back when the Switch was first announced/released. I'm pretty certain there were even people ITT who were disappointed it wasn't a "real" console, but of course then everyone realized that the Switch is the ultimate video game machine once games started coming out.

It was a really widespread sentiment, yeah. Some people were so in denial that they swore Nintendo would release a new 3ds because there was no way this was the successor to both the wiiu and the 3ds

Clearly a win win though, now you only need to buy one Nintendo Box to get access to all the current Nintendo titles

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

KingSlime posted:

It's a solid little device, definitely the strongest portable ever made. But I can't argue with the notion that a console form factor would have offered more horsepower than a tablet configuration, something closer to PS4/xbone output.

And if they had done that, there would be absolutely nothing distinguishing the platform and you wouldn't have had nearly as much support across the spectrum for porting games to it, which would have stopped it appealing to anyone but the usual Nintendo nerds. Zelda and Mario would have sold a decent amount of consoles initially but sales would have nosedived after. They really struck gold with the hardware.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Though I guess the writing was on the wall ever since they started merging their portable and console teams, what was it maybe 2 years before the switch was announced?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

And if they had done that, there would be absolutely nothing distinguishing the platform and you wouldn't have had nearly as much support across the spectrum for porting games to it, which would have stopped it appealing to anyone but the usual Nintendo nerds. Zelda and Mario would have sold a decent amount of consoles initially but sales would have nosedived after. They really struck gold with the hardware.
I think the hardware sucks and since getting an X I rarely if ever play it anymore. I'm here for the Nintendo games and the cheap indie games which don't really exist that much due to the Switch Tax. I very rarely play in portable mode though so I realize I'm an edge case. Playing DKCTF in portable mode is gorgeous but it's more of a novelty to me than a defining feature.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah I'm perfectly happy with the balance of performance to portability on the Switch. DOOM Eternal is likely going to be a really solid port.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's an amazing portable but the dock was a genuis move. The GB adapters on the SNES and layer GC were novel at best but they were really good features nonetheless. That it's the switch's core feature is pretty drat clever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I play docked 99%+ of my hours and I would have been fine if it wasn't a portable, and it would probably have been more powerful

BUT

switch is a huge hit for Nintendo and I'm glad because it means they'll be making Nintendo games for the imaginable future and Nintendo games are fun and good

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I didn't think I would care about the Switch being portable but it's turned out to be amazing. My kid can play it when the grownups want the TV, I can play it in bed or on the shitter. I've double dipped on like ten Steam games because having them portable is so good. And I never gave a poo poo about the DS or Gameboy.

Plus just as a Nintendo fan it's nice to have a real console from them without lovely gimmicks and with HD graphics and two analog sticks, and for them to be doing well again and not slowly slowly circling the drain.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 6, 2018

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I would have preferred it being a console only since if it's not small enough to fit into a pocket I can't really use it as a portable anyway and getting rid of the portable aspect would have probably made it way cheaper, but... I still bought it so I guess Nintendo won.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

it's a pretty amazing feat that people play 100% docked or 100% handheld and neither feel a diminished experience.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish the handheld experience didn't seem like dogshit about 1/3 of the time on 3rd party games

Like cmon guys at least scale the font size up a little bit

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

it's a pretty amazing feat that people play 100% docked or 100% handheld and neither feel a diminished experience.

I don't know about that. When any major game comes out, finding out where the compromises are is always a big focus of the early discussions and preview/review reports.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The switch being both a console and portable owns. I’m about as big a 3DS fan as you’ll find, but it kind of sucked always saying “Mario 3D Land is great, but it’s not 3D world”, or “Mario Kart 7 is great, but it’s not Mario Kart 8”

Having the portable console getting the definitive versions is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The switch being both a console and portable owns. I’m about as big a 3DS fan as you’ll find, but it kind of sucked always saying “Mario 3D Land is great, but it’s not 3D world”, or “Mario Kart 7 is great, but it’s not Mario Kart 8”

Having the portable console getting the definitive versions is amazing.

I wouldn't care one bit if the next system was just literally a more powerful version of this. No extra gimmicks; same portability, backwards compatibility, and just way more power.