Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

they're really going to gently caress you over when you want to upgrade to an 802.11ax router. When legacy devices communicate they prevent 802.11ax clients from actually using 802.11ax.

And with that in mind, I'm starting to look at seperate SSIDs/networks for legacy devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Heners_UK posted:

And with that in mind, I'm starting to look at seperate SSIDs/networks for legacy devices.

I don't think you understand, the more radios the worse it is, running multiple networks will not improve your situation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ElCondemn posted:

I don't think you understand, the more radios the worse it is, running multiple networks will not improve your situation.

if you shove them off into their own VLAN it will sure as heck improve the security situation

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Is Hue worth the high pricetag of the hub? Seems like my second-best option is Sengled but apparently their hub sucks (would that even matter if I'm just yelling at Alexa?).

Also, two of the bulbs I want to be smart are my front door porch lights. They'd be well protected from rain, but not so much from the high heat and mild humidity of Dallas, Texas. Is that a pipe dream I should give up on?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

Also, two of the bulbs I want to be smart are my front door porch lights. They'd be well protected from rain, but not so much from the high heat and mild humidity of Dallas, Texas. Is that a pipe dream I should give up on?

Do you need colors on the porch? If not, just replace the switch with a smart switch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Do you need colors on the porch? If not, just replace the switch with a smart switch.

This is what I did.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Friend posted:

Is Hue worth the high pricetag of the hub? Seems like my second-best option is Sengled but apparently their hub sucks (would that even matter if I'm just yelling at Alexa?).

Hue stuff is pricey, but I've found it to be pretty drat reliable. It also has the least complicated setup/integration process, and no worries about your lightbulbs serving as network Trojan horses for Chinese hackers.

For what it's worth, I've had hue bulbs in enclosures outside barely protected from the elements for 2 years (Mid-Atlantic US), and they're still ticking. The basic, white bulbs are only about $10, so it wouldn't be a super-expensive lesson if you tried it out.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Apple Music is going to be available on Alexa soon. Hopefully it gets added to Google Home too. I really don't feel like rebuilding my library and preferences in another app if I don't have to do it.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Friend posted:

I have three outside. One on the porch and two on the outside of the garage. Theyre all fine and we get plenty of heat/humidity/freezing death in kansas.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since Google and Amazon hate each other, is there any issues with using their smart devices together?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Since Google and Amazon hate each other, is there any issues with using their smart devices together?

I've got both, have yet to wake up to find one standing over the other blood covered with a knife.

Most 3rd party devices that integrate with one will integrate with the other, but don't expect to cast Amazon video to a Chromecast or Youtube to a Fire stick.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Medullah posted:

I've got both, have yet to wake up to find one standing over the other blood covered with a knife.

Most 3rd party devices that integrate with one will integrate with the other, but don't expect to cast Amazon video to a Chromecast or Youtube to a Fire stick.

That's what made me curious since we have both. I'm interested in the Google WiFi Mesh but my wife wants to buy into the Echo ecosystem. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues with that compatibility.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shouldn’t be a problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Excellent.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Rhyno posted:

That's what made me curious since we have both. I'm interested in the Google WiFi Mesh but my wife wants to buy into the Echo ecosystem. Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into any issues with that compatibility.

I have had some glitches with controlling our Nest thermostat with the Alexa skill--sometimes I'll ask her to turn the temperature up or down and she'll say the device doesn't support that or whatever and sometimes it works fine. I think that's more an issue with the Nest skill, though.

And actually, if anyone's got any experience with Google's mesh WiFi, I'd be interested in hearing it since I hate my Linksys router.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

A lot of the gaps in Google Home vs. Alexa can be covered with IFTTT, too. Like, I've got the Arlo cameras which aren't Google Home compatible, but a few clicks in IFTTT and now they are.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
IFTTT is also great for covering Homekit and Alexa gaps.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Is this the place to talk about smart lightbulbs?

What's the best smart lightbulb if you just want a single light that your phone can turn on & off? Most of these things seem designed for life in a TV commercial full of color-coordinated RGB bulbs in every room of your house. Don't need that.

No hub, no cloud, and preferably no connection to the outside internet needed. I'd rather not have my lightbulb join the next IoT DDOS botnet. Android phone.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Klyith posted:

Is this the place to talk about smart lightbulbs?

What's the best smart lightbulb if you just want a single light that your phone can turn on & off? Most of these things seem designed for life in a TV commercial full of color-coordinated RGB bulbs in every room of your house. Don't need that.

No hub, no cloud, and preferably no connection to the outside internet needed. I'd rather not have my lightbulb join the next IoT DDOS botnet. Android phone.
A smart plug with a regular old lamp? TP-Link ones don't need a hub.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Casimir Radon posted:

A smart plug with a regular old lamp? TP-Link ones don't need a hub.

has to be a bulb in this case because it's going into a fixture.

TP-link does make a standalone bulb though. that's just what I'm looking for -- I don't care about RGB but color temperature would be nice. are they your recommendation because their app / software is good?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Probably because TP-link stuff is hubless, and for a single bulb a $50 hub isn’t a great solution.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Does anyone have a recommendation for outdoor smart outlets (accessories, not built in)? We’re looking at 10F and light snow worst likely case. I’m in the market for a Z-wave one and something WiFi/hubless that is Alexa-able.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there any Zigbee devices that can monitor whether an AC circuit is closed? I'd like to monitor whether my gas heating is running or not. I have a smart thermostat, but I have to use their API polling their servers, which get only updated once an hour, which kind of breaks fine grained monitoring (temp readout changes once an hour, and heating status is that of the last update until the next one).

The heating over here in Europe is usually pretty simple. A thermostat closes a circuit. If I could put a device on the line to monitor that, I get my fine grained data.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Klyith posted:

has to be a bulb in this case because it's going into a fixture.

TP-link does make a standalone bulb though. that's just what I'm looking for -- I don't care about RGB but color temperature would be nice. are they your recommendation because their app / software is good?

I've been using the tp link bulbs, outlets, and switches for a while now. They work rather well, software seems pretty okay, and it connects in to Google home or Amazon Alexa easily.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Subjunctive posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for outdoor smart outlets (accessories, not built in)? We’re looking at 10F and light snow worst likely case. I’m in the market for a Z-wave one and something WiFi/hubless that is Alexa-able.

I have the GE branded (jasco) outdoor zwave one controlling the Christmas lights and works well

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rhyno posted:

I was looking at the Google mesh system but after some research I went with Netgear Orbi. It's been absolutely fantastic for me. Check into it if you're not set on Google.

Medullah posted:

A lot of the gaps in Google Home vs. Alexa can be covered with IFTTT, too. Like, I've got the Arlo cameras which aren't Google Home compatible, but a few clicks in IFTTT and now they are.

I just installed Arlo cameras this week and they work on my Google Hub. Just ask and it'll bring the camera feed up on screen.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So I opened my Phillips Huge Bridge and Samsung Smart things hubs. They have to be connected to my router via ethernet to work? I assumed they would have built in wifi capabilities.

If my route doesn't have enough room for all that could I use a switch?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megasabin posted:

If my route doesn't have enough room for all that could I use a switch?

Yes.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The gen 3 SmartThings Hub will work over WiFi. The gen 2 has to be connected via Ethernet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I just installed Arlo cameras this week and they work on my Google Hub. Just ask and it'll bring the camera feed up on screen.

I should clarify that they won't arm/disarm with Google Home w/o IFTTT

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Can anyone recommend a smart things exterior motion sensor?

I've been running a smart things motion sensor with cree smart bulbs in my front porch light fixture, to turn it on with motion during the night. Only problem is that its been acting wonky lately and I suspect the cold and environmental fluctuations killed it. The sensor itself is mounted up under a covered porch, but otherwise exposed to the elements, and I just don't see many exterior rated Smart Thing compatible sensors when looking around.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What does everyone here use for data logging? I'm currently using InfluxDB, but doing math with it within queries, seems a pain in the rear end.

Turns out drawing values from multiple sources is a no go. I'm wanting to calculate the maximum vapor density for each room at the current temperature, the current saturation (instead of relative humidity), and whatever's outside (via weather API currently). Eventually to correlate these things. The idea is to get a handle how outside humidity enters and exits each room.

Right now it seems like I want to create a separate placeholder thing in OpenHAB and do math on a change event and stick the result into said thing to get InfluxDB to log the result.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Megasabin posted:

So I opened my Phillips Huge Bridge and Samsung Smart things hubs. They have to be connected to my router via ethernet to work? I assumed they would have built in wifi capabilities.
It's a thing that doesn't normally move and for most people can be placed right next to the rest of their network equipment. Why would it need WiFi? I know some people hate wires in all forms, but those people are wrong.

WiFi is for things that move and things that are likely to go places where running ethernet wouldn't be practical. Things that don't move should be wired whenever reasonably possible.

But yea, just get a switch. A home-grade switch can basically be thought of as an ethernet splitter. Connect one (and ONLY ONE, loops are bad with basic switches) port to your router, connect other gadgets to the other ports. You can daisy chain them within reason too. There are reasons why commercial networks tend to take a tree-like form, but it's hard to get a home network to the point where it'd be a problem.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Basically want to use this as a nanny cam/if my kid hurts themselves falling out of the crib device: Nest Cam vs Amazon Cloud Cam.

From what I can tell the Nest is great but expensive and the Cloud Cam is fine but cheap. I can't tell if Cloud Cam does continuous recording or just clips and I don't know why I should care. Anyone have any advice? I was going to get probably two cameras. The Cloud Cam seems like a great option for $199 all in (no sub) but the Nest seems like everyone's top pick. I also don't want to crush my internet and a friend said the Nest Cam uses a ton of data.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
In my kitchen I have two switches, one controls an outer string of six recessed lights, the other has two recessed lights over my island. I would like to be able to have multiple configurations of lights, so perhaps just lighting two of the outer string, or maybe dim them all. I have SmartThings and I had bought some dimmable floodlights before, but I have the problem of configuring them.

I'm thinking I just want to connect the line and load together and just let ST handle the bulbs. What would be nice is a scene controller or something similar to help control the lights and also be kid/in-law proof. Any thoughts on how to do this well?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Off the top of my head, one way is to use the HomeSeer WD-100 (I think there's a WD-200 now?) can replace your switch and also have different actions for double and triple taps. Then replace your bulbs with zwave or zigbee bulbs and configure your automation controller (I use Home Assistant, but I think you can set it up in SmartThings) to do the thing you want when you single/double/triple tap the switch.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Any cheap cams that also have noise that'll turn them on? I have some passive aggressive neighbors that are likely to escalate things soon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man, I got some Arlo cameras about 3 weeks ago and the batteries are already gone. Garbage.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Medullah posted:

Man, I got some Arlo cameras about 3 weeks ago and the batteries are already gone. Garbage.

I've had mine up for a week and the battery level is still 84% and 83%. Also, I live in ND and it's been 20s pretty much every day. Looking at Amazon reviews on spare batteries and it seems like some are fine and others not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I've had mine up for a week and the battery level is still 84% and 83%. Also, I live in ND and it's been 20s pretty much every day. Looking at Amazon reviews on spare batteries and it seems like some are fine and others not so much.

Yeah I decided I'm just returning them and looking at wired ones. I don't really have the need for wireless ones. The interface is really nice though. And I dig the IFTTT integrations. But at 4 batteries a pop if I have to replace 3 cameras worth every month or so that gets pricy quick.