Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Daredevil: Yellow is very good too. There’s a Fantastic Four appearance in there that’ll make you wish that team did a book about them.

Heard Captain America: White was crap, but 3/4 ain’t bad. They’re sweet love stories, and Tim Sale is in top form.

White was delayed because Loeb and Sale were having a tiff and Loeb clearly didn't give a poo poo by the time they patched things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How's his Excalibur?

It depends on what you're looking for. It's not really in the same vein as Claremont or Davis Excalibur. It's a bit closer to what I have read of Planetary. It's not bad, but it's not my favourite.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I haven't checked but good money says they're remastering the original series for re-release as well.

I believe they're doing two lines of Epics (the Dark Horse releases?) and an Omnibus line (the old Marvel releases?).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How's his Excalibur?

It's a bright spot in latter-day Excalibur, though that's damning with faint praise a bit. I wouldn't go out of your way to read it but if you're looking to muck around in the blind alleys of post-Davis Excalibur, it's a good little run to check out.

That book went some weird places after Davis leaves. There the bits where it's holding close to the other X-books and then sometimes it reads like it was never touched by an editor before publication.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

When did Ellis write it? Is it good?
How's his Excalibur?
People were talking a lot about whether or not Terry Long or Kenny Kong or whomever were Mary Sue/Self-Inserts but if you want an idea of how early Warren Ellis work for hire went:

Excalibur: His first act was to add a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Essex man named Warren Ellis Pete Wisdom to the team, who thinks superheroes are stupid and seduces and beds Kitty Pryde within a few issues.

Thor: Much of the story centers around a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Englishman named Warren Ellis Curzon working for the NYPD to figure out why Thor is being all dark and not wearing his stupid outfit or talking in his stupid way anymore.

The twist in Hellstorm is that the lead character wasn't British, he was just a hard-drinking/chain-smoking rear end in a top hat who thought superheroes were dumb and stupid and childish and had a really hot industrial/goth girlfriend.

In Ultraforce, the twist was that it was an older hardcore cool dude who all of the chicks loved, like Jarvis except more badass.

In Doom 2099 the twist was that basically all of the characters that weren't Doom were this.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

when Counter X started, the first thing Ellis had happen in X-Force was Pete Wisdom showed up and convinced the team to let him replace Domino as the team leader because he could show them how the world really worked

Alaois fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 5, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Look, if he didn't have a lot of wisdom, how come he was called Pete Wisdom, huh? It all checks out to me.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Marvel did it first back in the 90's. Why not do it again? Look how they handled Miracleman.

Terribly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I meant how they repackaged it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re: Hulk’s ball & chain in today’s new issue

:stare: :stonklol: :stare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

People were talking a lot about whether or not Terry Long or Kenny Kong or whomever were Mary Sue/Self-Inserts but if you want an idea of how early Warren Ellis work for hire went:

Excalibur: His first act was to add a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Essex man named Warren Ellis Pete Wisdom to the team, who thinks superheroes are stupid and seduces and beds Kitty Pryde within a few issues.

Thor: Much of the story centers around a hard-bitten, hard-drinking, chain-smoking, caustic Englishman named Warren Ellis Curzon working for the NYPD to figure out why Thor is being all dark and not wearing his stupid outfit or talking in his stupid way anymore.

The twist in Hellstorm is that the lead character wasn't British, he was just a hard-drinking/chain-smoking rear end in a top hat who thought superheroes were dumb and stupid and childish and had a really hot industrial/goth girlfriend.

In Ultraforce, the twist was that it was an older hardcore cool dude who all of the chicks loved, like Jarvis except more badass.

In Doom 2099 the twist was that basically all of the characters that weren't Doom were this.

So what you're saying is Ellis has a small crush on John Constantine.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I vaguely recall a post from years back that said there was an issue of Excalibur pitched where Ellis said, "Issue 28, Kitty Pryde gets hosed." and Editorial said, "Alright but make it classy."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Stuff like this is the reason why I found it fascinating that Castlevania s2 treats being a Warren Ellis archetype as a state of being emotionally stunted that the protagonist needs to grow out of by helping people

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like that's been a thing for a while, because Karnak had its share of "see he's an rear end in a top hat to everyone and now he's alone drinking a glass of water and being really sad about it"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe he got old and realized being a chain smoking rear end in a top hat is a lovely way to live in the long run

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

^burtle posted:

I vaguely recall a post from years back that said there was an issue of Excalibur pitched where Ellis said, "Issue 28, Kitty Pryde gets hosed." and Editorial said, "Alright but make it classy."
That was probably me, it's a gem from an old interview:

quote:

I called Bob Harras and said, “Excalibur #90, Kitty Pryde gets hosed.” He went deadly silent, then he said, “Just try and keep it tasteful.”

There is another great Ellis quote from the middle 1990s where he poo poo all over the concept of computers because REAL FUCKIN' MEN write on typewriters, can you imagine goddamn Ernest Hemingway pecking away at a "Mac"? Show Charles Bukowski as "word proccessor" and he'd crack a loving lager bottle over your skull. Don't trust computers! TYPEWRITERS OR BUST!"

Obviously Ellis's views have evolved on that topic, and I imagine they've evolved on how wonderful it would be to live life as a more cartoonish version of John Constantine. Though the computers remembered, which is assume why he lost all his work on all of those projects that never finished/got severely delayed over the course of a decade or so.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has Ellis written anything for more than 10 issues since that Freak Angels web comic?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Has Ellis written anything for more than 10 issues since that Freak Angels web comic?
The Wild Storm is up to issue 18 of a projected 24 issue run.

Two of his creator-owned books at Image (Injection and Trees) hit 15 and 14 issues respectively over the course of a couple of years, no idea if they're done or just delayed at this point, neither has had a new issue in over a year.

His James Bond comic (which hinges largely upon the definition of "Eidolon" being a big dramatic reveal) ran for twelve issues.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Edge & Christian posted:

That was probably me, it's a gem from an old interview:

There is another great Ellis quote from the middle 1990s where he poo poo all over the concept of computers because REAL FUCKIN' MEN write on typewriters, can you imagine goddamn Ernest Hemingway pecking away at a "Mac"? Show Charles Bukowski as "word proccessor" and he'd crack a loving lager bottle over your skull. Don't trust computers! TYPEWRITERS OR BUST!"

Obviously Ellis's views have evolved on that topic, and I imagine they've evolved on how wonderful it would be to live life as a more cartoonish version of John Constantine. Though the computers remembered, which is assume why he lost all his work on all of those projects that never finished/got severely delayed over the course of a decade or so.

There we go.

Too bad Injection died on the vine, I got the sense Shalvey thought this was going to be his breakout work ala Saga and bailed on the gigs Moon Knight would have got him and has just kind of been around in the meantime.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

^burtle posted:

Too bad Injection died on the vine, I got the sense Shalvey thought this was going to be his breakout work ala Saga and bailed on the gigs Moon Knight would have got him and has just kind of been around in the meantime.

According to Ellis's newsletter, it's because Jordie Bellaire's Redlands ended up being more popular than expected, so her time's been at a premium, and Shalvey ended up on a signing tour that's taken up a lot of his year. Shalvey's also done a lot of incidental work for Marvel in the meantime, like the Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan mini.

As a result, the between-arcs break they'd always planned on ended up extending to the entirety of 2018, and they're planning to finish Injection in 2019.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

good job Gamma Flight, making the worst assumptions just because the Hulk's tearing a corpse apart.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The other Hulk comic out today is part of a mini event? Not a standalone in other words.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Synthbuttrange posted:

The other Hulk comic out today is part of a mini event? Not a standalone in other words.

Yes. It’s a reunion of the defenders and it has a nice banner

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. It’s a reunion of the defenders and it has a nice banner
Unless you get him angry

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

^burtle posted:

In fairness to Ellis, when Kitty and Pete do get together it was treated with class.
Like it was done In a mature manner that most fiction misses when two characters finally getting around to hooking up.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I feel like (aside from Hulk, of course), this wasn't the most exciting week of releases, but drat, if that X-Men X-Mas special wasn't just what I wanted from it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Conan's crossing over into the next Avengers weekly series.
https://www.cbr.com/marvel-no-road-home-conan-the-barbarian/

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't care about Conan but I'll read this for the uhh tugs collar for the articles

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is there a Deja Thoris series that exists? Seems like her and Red Sonja would be a good sword and sorcery series and team up.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yup Dynamite still does that stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

I don't care about Conan but I'll read this for the uhh tugs collar for the articles

I’m definitely in for Conan and I don’t mind cheesecake art generally but... this is a bit odd considering it’s Marvel and not the 60s anymore.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Gatts posted:

Is there a Deja Thoris series that exists? Seems like her and Red Sonja would be a good sword and sorcery series and team up.

She's going to be in Kelly Thompson's Barbarella series.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jordan7hm posted:

I’m definitely in for Conan and I don’t mind cheesecake art generally but... this is a bit odd considering it’s Marvel and not the 60s anymore.

It's a variant

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

gently caress yeah, Belit is awesome! Reading the original Howard stories, there's a lot less misogyny than you'd expect from the genre and especially the time period. The stories where Conan is part of her crew are pretty interesting. The crew is all men and they all follow her orders without any compunction, even Conan who actually respects her. The crew is either mixed or all black, which would be cool as well, but one of these stories takes place in Hyperborean Africa where there are literal monstrous dark skinned cannibal ape-men. So, that kind of ruins things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

gently caress yeah, Belit is awesome! Reading the original Howard stories, there's a lot less misogyny than you'd expect from the genre and especially the time period. The stories where Conan is part of her crew are pretty interesting. The crew is all men and they all follow her orders without any compunction, even Conan who actually respects her. The crew is either mixed or all black, which would be cool as well, but one of these stories takes place in Hyperborean Africa where there are literal monstrous dark skinned cannibal ape-men. So, that kind of ruins things.

To be fair, there are cannibal *insert cultural stereotype here* men in basically every part of Hyborea.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I just got caught up to Immortal Hulk, so drat great.

Is the skin sniper Jigsaw from Punisher? I've only seen him in that PS2 game.

Is the Best Defense shaping up to be something good?

e: Bushwhacker not Jigsaw, I got my PS2 Punisher villains mixed up

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 8, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Isn't Jigsaw's thing just a stitched up face, not malleable flesh? I've only seen him in Punisher Warzone, though.

edit: He's Bushwacker https://comicvine.gamespot.com/bushwacker/4005-11932/

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

site posted:

That lady looks like she showed up to make Maika Halfwolf's life miserable so I'm gonna guess this is a Takeda cover? Love her work, even if this looks like something I'd need to be wearing a trenchcoat to purchase.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Diet Poison posted:

That lady looks like she showed up to make Maika Halfwolf's life miserable so I'm gonna guess this is a Takeda cover? Love her work, even if this looks like something I'd need to be wearing a trenchcoat to purchase.

Yes, that’s a Sana Takeda cover. The team on the book is Tini Howard and Kate Niemczyk. I’m not familiar with Howard but I’m seeing the name pop up in a number of books I’m interested in lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's a loving crime barely anyone reads monstress cuz takeda is easily one of the best artists working today and she's hardly talked about anywhere