Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So my interview this morning ended up taking place at the local temp agency. First thing my interviewer did was inform me that the job I was interviewing for was already filled.

What a waste of loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
They could have notified you before, but at least they didn't pull the usual "go through with the interview anyways when we know the position has been filled" stunt.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

mariooncrack posted:

Make a thread when you get it.

I will!

Picking it up on Saturday.

I went to see it last weekend but we couldn't get it to start. Gonna bring some jumper cables this time and it should fire up.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Let me know when you are out here.
Also Truckee is CA.

Uber-ing everywhere is viable, but expensive. Don't expect chains in a rental. Actually, expect a chains are banished clause in the rental agreement.

drat, I used to go to Tahoe all the time (20 years ago) and I always just assumed Truckee was in NV. Or actually never thought about it before, and assumed it was now. The airbnb hosts recommended AWD/4WD, so I changed my rental minivan to a Jaguar F-Pace or comparable car (strangely it was only ~$50 more for the weekend, and cheaper than getting a Cadillac XTS with AWD).

You'd think they'd want you to use chains if you're in that kind of situation, although I guess they'd really prefer you just didn't drive at all when it's bad. Going to be out there Jan 18 to 20, staying in Truckee but we're probably going to head to Reno Saturday night to hit up the strip club, assuming the weather makes it not a horrible pain in the rear end.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

ilkhan posted:

Let me know when you are out here.
Also Truckee is CA.

Truckee Fact: If you're passing through and need a haircut, the owner at Loft, on the main street is good and will chat about snowboarding. IIRC he has a Good Dog too.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 6, 2018

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
That little gas stop on the edge of Reno actually has a building right on the state line. One side has lines, other side has CA lotto machines. And a nice white line down the middle to know which side is which.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

Then I'd just buy the best printer for the money and add a cheap print server if it works out cheaper, which I bet it almost always does.

Hell my loving ROUTER has a print server built in, so long as the printer supports USB.

Problem is.... I can't put it near the router. It has to be off on its own, unless I can get GF to clear out all her boxes from under the desk (:laffo: that ain't ever happening, especially since she's very against me getting a laser printer to begin with; I print way too much to keep buying ink for her drat inkjet). And GF's cats are wire destroyers - every exposed cable has to be in split tube loom and hidden behind poo poo (bitter apple doesn't phase the fuckers).

Her inkjet supports printing from mobile devices (surprising for how old it is), has built in wifi (even for the scanner part), etc, and it's an Epson (so you're only buying the ink, not a complete printhead, when you replace a cartridge), but it's still expensive to run compared to a laser. And slow. And a serious pain in the dick to unclog the nozzles on when, say, someone leaves it in a hot garage for 6 months. :argh: (I've only gotten black to print reliably)

Anyway, I guess I'm gonna keep an eye for Brother or Dell printers to pop up on Slickdeals. They had a Samsung today for $39, but the HP part weirded me out (also the deal got taken down by the time I saw it anyway).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I met a colleague from Germany.

I mentioned the war.

This may have been a bad thing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did Basil Fawlty teach you nothing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I didn't do the funny walk, at least.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Well in any case, they started it

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

mewse posted:

Well in any case, they started it

Twice.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

spog posted:

I mentioned the war.

I mean when ya won what ya gonna do they know that poo poo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

spog posted:

I mentioned the war.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Did Basil Fawlty teach you nothing?

'sake spog...

For those playing at home;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Today driving to work I saw a bitchin' camaro. It was like a dark teal (blue/green), had louvers, and some chrome wheels.

Your mind jumps to 3rd gen, but it was a 5th.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There are a surprisingly high number of coupes on sale today which have a factory louver option (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, GT86/BRZ).

More vehicles need louvers or breadvan hatches like the Callaway Aerowagon.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Geoj posted:

They could have notified you before, but at least they didn't pull the usual "go through with the interview anyways when we know the position has been filled" stunt.

GovernmentJobs.txt

It's even worse when they not only jack off your time but that of your references so HR can tick a box. The requirement that they have to interview at all when they know drat good and well that they're going to promote from within only further punctuates how worthless HR really is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend has regained his calm, his kid is okay for now. He's trying to decide what to do next.

We're just about ready to start painting at the house, should be priming on saturday. 23 days left!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

McTinkerson posted:

There are a surprisingly high number of coupes on sale today which have a factory louver option (Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, GT86/BRZ).

More vehicles need louvers or breadvan hatches like the Callaway Aerowagon.
What now? When you say "factory louver option" it sounds like you mean you can order a car with louvers from a dealer, is this true or do you just mean aftermarket manufacturers are now making louvers for a lot more cars now?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Dealer installed option is my guess

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

spog posted:

I mentioned the war.

Well, it's not like you could just wait around for an American colleague to mention it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Cage posted:

What now? When you say "factory louver option" it sounds like you mean you can order a car with louvers from a dealer, is this true or do you just mean aftermarket manufacturers are now making louvers for a lot more cars now?

Mopar, Goodwrench, Ford Racing and TRD part numbers for all of them.....it's a build option check mark on the GT86 in some markets but a dealer installed factory part in North America to the best of my knowledge.
It used to be a build option check mark for for Challenger and Mustang until a couple years ago.

Definitely not aftermarket companies & parts in the traditional sense though.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

McTinkerson posted:

Mopar, Goodwrench, Ford Racing and TRD part numbers for all of them.....it's a build option check mark on the GT86 in some markets but a dealer installed factory part in North America to the best of my knowledge.
It used to be a build option check mark for for Challenger and Mustang until a couple years ago.

Definitely not aftermarket companies & parts in the traditional sense though.
Can you find me the part number or picture for the ford racing louver set? I've never heard of such a thing.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

STR: Dell has a few lasers that are literally rebranded Brothers. They are just different enough that you can't use a Brother toner in it, but the usual suspects have just as many cheap as gently caress toners for the Dell versions as they do for the Brothers. Depending on when you buy you might be able to get a better deal on the Dell - I did.

I don't think Dell ever rebadged brother stuff. Lexmark, Xerox and Samsung yes, and they never actually made their own, but not Brother as far as I know. Note that Dell recently dropped the laser printer business in EMEA like a bad habit. I'd probably buy a cheap craigslist 1720dn or the like, but nothing new.

Most any cheap mono laser is going to be fine for someone who wants to just print a buch of forms once a year and not deal with clogged nozzles and the like.

As people mentioned support for PCL and PostScript is preferable to GDI bullshit.

I've got an old Brother I got pretty much thrown in with a Lian Li case a decade ago that's still chugging along, but the rare occasions I need to print I usually just do it at work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Father Jack posted:

I don't think Dell ever rebadged brother stuff. Lexmark, Xerox and Samsung yes, and they never actually made their own, but not Brother as far as I know. Note that Dell recently dropped the laser printer business in EMEA like a bad habit. I'd probably buy a cheap craigslist 1720dn or the like, but nothing new.

There's also videos on how to modify a Brother toner cart to fit in the Dell by changing a few gears, but again, pointless as you can just buy one ready for the Dell for the same price.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's also videos on how to modify a Brother toner cart to fit in the Dell by changing a few gears, but again, pointless as you can just buy one ready for the Dell for the same price.

Huh, that model was at the tail end of me dealing with them, so maybe they did start at that point.

I remember it having a real dumb mechanical method for resetting the toner and drum life counter that I thought was going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

IIRC there was a gear on the right that on the first rotation only moved out to flip a switch, so if you used a toner or drum once in another machine, say for troubleshooting, it would then fail to reset the counter on any other without you busting it open and resetting the mechanism.

Up until that gen everything was Lexmark, Xerox or Samsung. Lexmark for mono, Xerox for colour, Samsung for MFP.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I bought a Dell e525 3-4 years ago and it's been bulletproof through ~10000 pages. The only thing I wish it had was auto duplexing. I buy my toner from a goon in SAmart - have had 0 quality issues and his stuff is $20/color vs $80/color that Dell charges.

It looks like a rebadged Brother to me, but haven't been able to confirm that online.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
My Dell 3130CN is a beast but it has duplexing and the 500-sheet addon tray too. Lifetime fuser so far: 185,000 pages lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Del 1355cn here. It's about 6-ish years old and great for a color laser... except the motherfucker goes to sleep on the network and you have to manually wake it, which defeats the whole purpose of having a network printer... it's fully abandoned as far as support/firmware goes, so I don't think there's anything to change. Sad.

Edit: quick google search shows that it may just be the printer dropping its dhcp lease and I just need to assign it a permanent address... I may try that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Advice required - looking for a 2-3TB(ish) backup / cold store offsite for about 20 odd years of photography and videos (Any pron is vastly smaller than images from my own cameras :-p)

Basically I want to replicate my FreeNAS and other backup drives to somewhere not local. I used to do it to Dreamhost but it turns out that havign an account there for 15 years dont count for poo poo when they decide that it's no longer allowed to do backups there cause of TOS (Oh yeah they just so happened to kill off all their cool one click installs and offer new CLOOOOOUD)

I might also want to move my live photo galleries websites as well if anyone has a good hosting idea these days

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meatpimp posted:

Edit: quick google search shows that it may just be the printer dropping its dhcp lease and I just need to assign it a permanent address... I may try that.

This should solve the problem - I had a similar problem.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

This should solve the problem - I had a similar problem.

Yeah, either set a static IP or address it by hostname. Static IP is the least hassle on a home LAN.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The TV I bought on Black Friday finally showed up.... and is smashed. Box has this small line on the outside, nothing that screams "I've been mishandled". More of I rested up against a smaller box line. Time to play the exchange game and wait another two weeks. drat it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Advice required - looking for a 2-3TB(ish) backup / cold store offsite for about 20 odd years of photography and videos (Any pron is vastly smaller than images from my own cameras :-p)

Basically I want to replicate my FreeNAS and other backup drives to somewhere not local. I used to do it to Dreamhost but it turns out that havign an account there for 15 years dont count for poo poo when they decide that it's no longer allowed to do backups there cause of TOS (Oh yeah they just so happened to kill off all their cool one click installs and offer new CLOOOOOUD)

I might also want to move my live photo galleries websites as well if anyone has a good hosting idea these days

Back blaze is what I used to use. I should start uploading again.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Kids are a loving treat. Book presentation due tomorrow, 3 minutes long, specific requirements, he's had the assignment issue for months. We ask him to give us his presentation for practice. It's 58 seconds long. We ask for the assignment page and it also requires a visual aid (that he doesn't have) and a specific outline on how to present it.

Fun!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

the spyder posted:

The TV I bought on Black Friday finally showed up.... and is smashed. Box has this small line on the outside, nothing that screams "I've been mishandled". More of I rested up against a smaller box line. Time to play the exchange game and wait another two weeks. drat it.

From Amazon? I'm wary of ordering something like a tv with how bad mail delivery has gotten.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

From Amazon? I'm wary of ordering something like a tv with how bad mail delivery has gotten.

Dell of all places. Had $500 in rebates/giftcards. It will still pencil out with the delay, but if you add up the rebates/lossed shipping three ways/brokentv, there's no way they are making a profit. (Yes I know about insurance, but I like to dream). I would have 100% rather bought from Costco, but they don't carry this model and the closest in picture quality was $1k more for a LQ C8 OLED.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ahhh. I have like zero standards in AV (current tv is 6-7 years old) so I barely know what is good or bad. I just pick what looks good to me in the store at this point.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
That was my plan. I walked into Costco, stared at TV's for an hour and walked out disappointed. I found this site and combined with avsforums.com I settled on a X900F Sony of all things. A brand I never thought I would buy again. My current TV is 12 years old and won't die. It's going to be a night/day difference.
https://www.rtings.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goober Peas posted:

I buy my toner from a goon in SAmart - have had 0 quality issues and his stuff is $20/color vs $80/color that Dell charges.

Is it the goon in the Dallas area, that runs Great Cartridge with his dad?

I've bought from him plenty of times (in person when I lived there). Always easy to deal with; he's wandered into AI a few times too. Can't find his thread anymore tho.