Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tormented posted:

Aww, I don't see a fix to the dueler bloodline in the patch notes as before it was bugged to be unattainable. Hopefully it was fixed.
It was not. I have no idea why, as it's a trivial thing to fix.

Volkerball posted:

hey wait it turned every character white!
That's...odd? Everyone seems to have retained their ethnicity in my game, at least.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
I just launched my save from yesterday and all my Saxon dudes (and everyone normally using Saxon portraits) now have the old, gross white people portraits and I am sick to my stomach

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Palemdromes posted:

Just noticed this in the patch notes:

Added Arberian cultural retinue and cultural building.

Who is that? Wikipedia brings up Albanians, but wouldn't they just count as south slavs?

It might be one of the fictional cultures used for random world starts.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why is everyone in my reformed germanic kingdom a secret slav

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Stairmaster posted:

well now that you reformed it with a book and a viking pope it's not cool anymore

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah, I like the idea of the secret cults, but they're awfully kludgey and annoying to deal with. Especially that someone once inducted cannot possibly be dissuaded, no matter how learned or persuasive you are; the only solution is fire.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stairmaster posted:

They're just hipsters who wanna be slaves before it was cool

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Palemdromes posted:

Just noticed this in the patch notes:

Added Arberian cultural retinue and cultural building.

Who is that? Wikipedia brings up Albanians, but wouldn't they just count as south slavs?
Apparently they're a Byzantine group, but I'm not sure where they'd be. Maybe someplace in Corsica/Sardinia?

E: No, you're right, they're Albanians. I got nothing, then.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 6, 2018

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Apparently they're a Byzantine group, but I'm not sure where they'd be. Maybe someplace in Corsica/Sardinia?

The Albanian language / culture partially descends from the hellenistic and roman-era linguistic groups that populated the balkans (Dacians, Illyrians, etc.), so it's not exactly south slavic.

In other news, I'm going to wait a bit for any more patches to drop before I update all the altered files for a mod I was working on which made Manichean its own separate religion from Zoroastrianism in the game, complete with full DLC support and a unique monastic society, because :shepicide:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

It was not. I have no idea why, as it's a trivial thing to fix.

That's...odd? Everyone seems to have retained their ethnicity in my game, at least.

There a mod for this out there?

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Restarted my Africa game now that I'm not throwing leaders into the blender known as combat. I also wasn't dumb enough to click the "make your quick daughter currently being trained in Intrigue with an Intrigue Stat already higher than yours at age 12 ambitious and your rival." I really need her to start thinning out some layabout sons. I wasn't going to go Enatic Clans, but she is making it tempting. I mean I could bribe elders, but I do have actual things to spend my limited gold on, especially as the Abbasids did just take over most of North Africa.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 6, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"The Caspian Sea is now functionally like an ocean. With boats and merchant republics and stuff"

wait what the hell, how on earth would that even work? How big is the Caspian again? Am I confusing my oceans or what?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Did the patch fix the weird bugs with Byzantines where it thought it was constantly firing my commanders? I didn't even understand the problem enough to tell if the patch notes covered it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

"The Caspian Sea is now functionally like an ocean. With boats and merchant republics and stuff"

wait what the hell, how on earth would that even work? How big is the Caspian again? Am I confusing my oceans or what?

It's the world's largest inland body of water.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's bigger than Britain, so sure you'd probably want a way to shortcut across in a boat rather than go around every time. If you're going to model the great lakes in ATE as seas, might as well model the Caspian the same.

Merchant Republics are all hardcoded and don't really make much sense either way you slice them, so why not.

darthbob88 posted:

I like breaking up the Byzantine Empire culturally, because that big monolithic greek blob always feels weird.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Beans posted:

Did the patch fix the weird bugs with Byzantines where it thought it was constantly firing my commanders? I didn't even understand the problem enough to tell if the patch notes covered it.

They fixed one aspect of it, I don't know if it's all been addressed because I don't fully know the extent of it either - the specific part I saw mentioned was that commanders who get assigned to the council no longer give you that penalty.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

Maybe? I just have a personal minimod thing where I fix easy coding bugs and weird design decisions.

Speaking of which, it looks like I can't easily add an option to tell the battlefield duel rescuers to gently caress off, since the alert event you get actually happens after they've dueled. But I can change it so that people don't qualify to "rescue" you if they're worse at dueling than you are, which should mostly fix the problem.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 6, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Speaking of which, it looks like I can't easily add an option to tell the battlefield duel rescuers to gently caress off, since the alert event you get actually happens after they've dueled. But I can change it so that people don't qualify to "rescue" you if they're worse at dueling than you are, which should mostly fix the problem.

In events/hf_battle_events.txt, delete the section in HFP.11000 that looks like this:

code:
15 = {
        trigger = {
                event_target:enemy_commander = {
                        is_alive = yes
                        not = { has_character_flag = about_to_challenge_enemy_commander } #so this isn't about to fire the other way around
                }
                not = { has_character_modifier = battle_events_4_cooldown }
                nand = {
                        not = { has_pet_animal_trigger = yes } #the event is purely negative without the pet to sacrifice
                        is_indomitable_trigger = yes
                }
        }
        bad_soldier_outcome_score = yes
        warrior_lodge_risk_reduction_score = yes

additive_modifier = { #for the more varied versions...
                has_pet_animal_trigger = yes
                value = 5
        }

add_character_modifier = { name = battle_events_4_cooldown duration = 365 hidden = yes }
        set_character_flag = about_to_challenge_enemy_commander

character_event = { id = hfp.11025 } # your pet to the rescue (otherwise something else)!
}

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

binge crotching posted:

In events/hf_battle_events.txt, delete the section in HFP.11000 that looks like this:
It looks like that's a different event, the one where you either have your pet die or go duel a commander. Certainly don't want to lose that event.

If I just wanted to stop it from happening altogether, I could comment out find_commander_to_the_rescue_effect on line 3647 in scripted_effects_duels, as that's what locates someone to go in your place. But it's a decent enough event and effect I don't want to lose altogether. I was just suggesting that a option in the event to tell your would-be rescuer that you do indeed want to do the fighting would be nice.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 6, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiderfist Island posted:

In other news, I'm going to wait a bit for any more patches to drop before I update all the altered files for a mod I was working on which made Manichean its own separate religion from Zoroastrianism in the game, complete with full DLC support and a unique monastic society, because :shepicide:

This is a good mod idea that I support. I'm still a little surprised that Paradox is apparently leaving Manichean as a heresy, really.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

Are you seriously asking for a mod to make everyone in the game white? Because that's what it sounds like from context.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jedit posted:

Are you seriously asking for a mod to make everyone in the game white? Because that's what it sounds like from context.
I'd say the context points rather more strongly to a mod that fixes the duelist bloodline. :confused:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

maybe the truth is in the middle and he's looking for both a trivial fix for an irritating bug and to enact his idol hitler's vision of a racially pure continent

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

why would you assume I was talking about that and not the fixed bloodline- *looks out window at the USA* Oh. Fair enough, I guess.

I just don't happen to know what's causing the bloodline thing to gently caress up, so I wondered if anything fixed it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Midnight Voyager posted:

why would you assume I was talking about that and not the fixed bloodline- *looks out window at the USA* Oh. Fair enough, I guess.

I just don't happen to know what's causing the bloodline thing to gently caress up, so I wondered if anything fixed it.
The problem with it at the moment is overzealous conditioning. In common/scripted_effects/01_scripted_effects_duels.txt, starting around line 3395, it checks whether you qualify for the duelist bloodline by having the lifestyle duelist trait, having 50 levels of duel experience (10x stacks renowned duelist modifier), 20 levels of ruthless experience (4x stacks ruthless modifier), and either 10 experience sneaky duelist or another 30 levels of regular duel experience, and not already having the duelist bloodline or being offered it. If you qualify, it has a 20% chance to set a character flag saying you got the duelist bloodline and queue up the event actually granting it two weeks later, HFP.402.

But HFP.402 has conditions of its own, duplicating a few of those above. That you have the lifestyle duelist trait, that you don't already have the bloodline, and that you don't have the flag saying you got the duelist bloodline. Since that flag was set two weeks earlier at the same time as the event was queued up, the event can't actually fire and silently dies without giving you the bloodline.

It can be fixed most easily by deleting the whole trigger block for HFP.402 in events/HF_battle_events, line ~6088. There's really no reason the conditions need to be there, since it can't possibly fire without them being true anyway.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Oh joy, having your heir be in a warrior lodge gives a chance of an event that gives makes them dull.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
That event where a commander duels for you on the battlefield is annoying. I was trying to get my Imbecile ruler killed on the battlefield and all my Bros kept saying "look buddy, you're too stupid to do this. Let me help."

Also, what's the best retinue composition these days? In my Karen game I am spamming mostly horse archers, but I don't have many Altaic generals so I don't know if that's ideal. They seem to be doing just fine but I was considering switching to Shock to take advantage of numbers.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Gobblecoque posted:

Oh joy, having your heir be in a warrior lodge gives a chance of an event that gives makes them dull.

That event also gives you brawny if you don't have it, so it's not always so bad.

But then again, the Warrior Lodge is so incredibly overpowered anyway, so I don't really mind it having a few drawbacks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

That event also gives you brawny if you don't have it, so it's not always so bad.

But then again, the Warrior Lodge is so incredibly overpowered anyway, so I don't really mind it having a few drawbacks.

True. Really it seems like the only bad things associated with the warrior lodge just happen to your kids if they're members, so it's probably ideal to just not invite your heir.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

It looks like that's a different event, the one where you either have your pet die or go duel a commander. Certainly don't want to lose that event.

If I just wanted to stop it from happening altogether, I could comment out find_commander_to_the_rescue_effect on line 3647 in scripted_effects_duels, as that's what locates someone to go in your place. But it's a decent enough event and effect I don't want to lose altogether. I was just suggesting that a option in the event to tell your would-be rescuer that you do indeed want to do the fighting would be nice.

Ah, thought that was the one you wanted to be gone. I haven't had the event you're talking about fire for me, my guy just runs around chopping heads off left and right himself.

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Broken Cog posted:

They stab each-other for hours on end, calling it honor.

May Allah inflict all forms of cancer on their families.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Strudel Man posted:

The problem with it at the moment is overzealous conditioning. In common/scripted_effects/01_scripted_effects_duels.txt, starting around line 3395, it checks whether you qualify for the duelist bloodline by having the lifestyle duelist trait, having 50 levels of duel experience (10x stacks renowned duelist modifier), 20 levels of ruthless experience (4x stacks ruthless modifier), and either 10 experience sneaky duelist or another 30 levels of regular duel experience, and not already having the duelist bloodline or being offered it. If you qualify, it has a 20% chance to set a character flag saying you got the duelist bloodline and queue up the event actually granting it two weeks later, HFP.402.

But HFP.402 has conditions of its own, duplicating a few of those above. That you have the lifestyle duelist trait, that you don't already have the bloodline, and that you don't have the flag saying you got the duelist bloodline. Since that flag was set two weeks earlier at the same time as the event was queued up, the event can't actually fire and silently dies without giving you the bloodline.

It can be fixed most easily by deleting the whole trigger block for HFP.402 in events/HF_battle_events, line ~6088. There's really no reason the conditions need to be there, since it can't possibly fire without them being true anyway.

Aha, I can see how that would be a problem. Thanks for the heads up.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

This is a good mod idea that I support. I'm still a little surprised that Paradox is apparently leaving Manichean as a heresy, really.

Lemme tell you, updating all of the secret religious society stuff and 5+ years of triggers and scripts is not an easy job, so I can understand why it hasn't been done yet. It's the only heresy with both its own head of religion, a completely different set of holy sites, and its own holy order, so 1/2 of what makes it a "full" religion is already in the game to an extent.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Disillusionist posted:

That event where a commander duels for you on the battlefield is annoying. I was trying to get my Imbecile ruler killed on the battlefield and all my Bros kept saying "look buddy, you're too stupid to do this. Let me help."

See what you need to do here is just remove every other commander on your own side. Don’t know you the story of David and Uriah?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So in the past I've always aggressively pursued primogeniture asap. For once I am fully embracing gavelkind. The game is really more engaging now that I have to constantly kill my family.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

So in the past I've always aggressively pursued primogeniture asap. For once I am fully embracing gavelkind. The game is really more engaging now that I have to constantly kill my family.
Or just conquer more. There's also the fact that if you give them land beforehand they don't take as much, if any, on succession, which for some reason is almost never mentioned.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So basically if I want to keep my favorite counties, conquer more and give my least favorite sons my least favorite counties first?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

wilderthanmild posted:

So basically if I want to keep my favorite counties, conquer more and give my least favorite sons my least favorite counties first?

Pretty much. I don't even think it lets you give your primary heir titles in gavelkind

This time around I went from Tanistry to Republic Elective, so it's been pretty chill. Just toss a couple grand in bribes campaign funds and elect whichever 16 year old looks best

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Question about Gavelkind. I had Primogeniture inheritance on the Empire of Abyssinia, with my capital in Fustat, Egypt. Below the Imperial title, the Kingdoms of Egypt and Nubia were Gavelkind. When I died, the Empire and Kingdom of Abyssinia went to my gifted son, and Egypt and Nubia went to his idiot brother. Okay, fair enough. But when he took over, he got the capital county of Fustat! I get that it's also the capital county of Egypt, but I thought the Emperor would always keep the Imperial capital county regardless.

Also got screwed because my previous ruler had ruled for the 10 years needed to change inheritance laws, and had no unhappy vassals, but still couldn't change the laws. (It had an X next to "Has reigned for 10 years" for over 15 years). Are female rulers not allowed to change inheritance laws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

Pretty much. I don't even think it lets you give your primary heir titles in gavelkind

This time around I went from Tanistry to Republic Elective, so it's been pretty chill. Just toss a couple grand in bribes campaign funds and elect whichever 16 year old looks best

You can give your primary heir titles if they’re already going to inherit them.