Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Does the game have the yellow turban rebellion though, along with great buttrock tunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yellow Turbans are pre-order, even then they're a remnants force since the game starts at the Coalition against Dong Zhuo.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Bloodly posted:

It'll depend on the troops selection. I mean, there's obviously going to be some shared troops, possibly many. But I imagine each leader will bring some unique troops beyond themselves. Will lighter bandit troops be a plus or a minus?
We've already seen terrain-related speed bonuses/penalties; Zhang Yan "grants a speed bonus to troops loyal to his faction when moving through forests", while conversely the TwitchCon build of Ambush of Sun Ren had a forest mouseover tooltip with a speed penalty for medium/heavy infantry.

It looks like we'll get faction-specific units (Xu Huang's reinforcements in that battle included a pair of Heavy Tiger & Leopard Cavalry units) but based on the EGX 2018 video the highest-tier units of a given unit type are exclusive to the corresponding Hero class; for Zheng Jiang (Champion) that's spear infantry, and if Lu Zheng's a Strategist (she has the generic-Strategist pose and blue robe) then for her it's archers.

-Dethstryk- posted:

Also I need to play as this bandit queen in Three Kingdoms right now, please
In which case I hope you like campaign-level zerging!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yellow Turbans are pre-order, even then they're a remnants force since the game starts at the Coalition against Dong Zhuo.
A remnant force is in the base game as well surrounding Liu Bei's starting position, and Zhang Yan's Black Mountain Hideout gives his faction the exclusive ability to engage in diplomacy with them. The DLC adds faction leaders/hero classes with a rule-of-three going on:
  • He Yi = Healer class, domain of People, virtue of Compassion, fields veteran Yellow Turbans and berserkers, has a Healer's Lodge building chain (+ population growth, + replenishment, and medicine sales income)
  • Gong Du = Veteran class, domain of Land, virtue of Frugality, fields former soldiers/guardsmen/converted nobles, has a Hidden Fort building chain ("helps supply the Yellow Turban armies and increases the amount of spoils they can carry off after a battle")
  • Huang Shao = Scholar class, domain of Heaven, virtue of Humility, fields religious fanatics/spiritual martial artists/scholars, has a Gardens unique building (sounds like it boosts public order and character satisfaction).
They also have a threefold tech tree, while progressing through their faction ranks has players "verses in the Book of Great Peace, construct religious building in their settlements and improve the virtuous characteristics of the characters under their control."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yellow Turbans are definitely a faction that would be a good fit with something like the Shogun II Ikko-Ikki faction's rebellion mechanic.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
drat I can't stand preordering games though. Oh well, Love me some Dynasty Warriors, even if this is insanely different.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Rockopolis posted:

Yellow Turbans are definitely a faction that would be a good fit with something like the Shogun II Ikko-Ikki faction's rebellion mechanic.
Until the game's out the chances of that are still greater than zero.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

drat I can't stand preordering games though. Oh well, Love me some Dynasty Warriors, even if this is insanely different.
I'm pretty sure it's a 'pre-order and we throw it in, or buy it later if you like the base game' deal, which is what happened with the Royal Scots Greys for GameStop's Napoleon preorders.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I'm pretty sure with all of CA's pre-order DLC/bonuses now, you can buy it up to 1 week after release and still get them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
All preorder bonus DLC is always available separately on release.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Azran posted:

All preorder bonus DLC is always available separately on release.

What I mean is that you still get the pre-order DLC for free if you buy it within 1 week of release.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ragingsheep posted:

What I mean is that you still get the pre-order DLC for free if you buy it within 1 week of release.

Oh, yes. Sorry, I completely misread your post. :downs:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope CA goes back to the gunpowder era sometime. There are loads of colonial wars that would make the Indian Ocean theater ripe for gameplay. The race for Africa would also be fun, if thematically horrific.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I think that latter part makes that whole idea unlikely. Along the same lines, a ton of people have been calling for a game set in the Opium Wars/Taipei Rebellion period now that we're getting a China game, but I dunno how keen CA will be to touch one of the most sensitive parts of Chinese history after going to all this effort to cultivate an audience there.

fun as the games would otherwise be

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm just excited to hear what the soundtrack for 3K will be like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
African imperialism would be made or broken for me by having fun and viable africans to play as. Wargames loves making the zulu, the mahdists, or for more a more modern example the NVA, basically anyone who fought against the western empires, into weak, poorly fleshed out OPFOR for the glorious euros to shoot at. So you’ll have 3 total units on the zulu side and 25 different variations of 67th Royal Bumfoucksestershire Fusiliers- Line Company on the british side. That’s both lame and skeevy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd trust CA to do it respectfully more than lots of other companies, but I don't think there's any way to do it where it won't just turn into the next neo nazi magnet.

If someone's gonna do an Africa game, and, I mean, I hope they do at some point, I'd much rather see a different period, or at least so colonialism is not the focus.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I'm not really sure there's a tasteful way to make a strategy game about the European colonial powers raping a continent.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Only way it'd happen if they played it loose in Empire 2 and gave those African nations a chance to westernize and turn the tables now.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve made this post a bunch of times but I’m gonna keep saying it: a Napoleon style South America map for Rise of the Caudillos

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The next Saga game should be the US civil war and should only have the north as a playable faction.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I remember every time I played Empire the Marathas would unite all of India, become the strongest country in the world, and invade Europe. So a scramble for Africa scenario could work, provided it gives Africans the opportunity to dunk on the imperialists.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Played some custom Empire battles tonight. Naval battles with five ships apiece or less are really fun and more engaging than FOTS naval fights because the maps are smaller and the enemy actually want to fight. The only problem is the game hates you and will always deploy you against the wind so your opponent pretty much always has the weather gauge.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Total War: Victoria. The known world is being overrun by invaders from across the sea, converging from every direction, armed with arcane weapons, riding strange beasts. Can you marshall your armies and weather the storm?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I remember every time I played Empire the Marathas would unite all of India, become the strongest country in the world, and invade Europe. So a scramble for Africa scenario could work, provided it gives Africans the opportunity to dunk on the imperialists.

At launch yeah, but then CA simultaneously nerfed them by both making controlling all the tea no longer give you more money than the game engine could handle, and by also removing all the firing techs from Bargir Infantry (i.e. could no longer fire by rank, which massively cut their firepower).

But before all the patches, it was easier to become the absolute richest nation by far, your line infantry was just as good as the Europeans, and you had better cavalry and artillery. It was awesome.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frog Act posted:

I’ve made this post a bunch of times but I’m gonna keep saying it: a Napoleon style South America map for Rise of the Caudillos

Hell yeah total war Bolivar would kick ads. Ex slave cowboy lancer hordes fighting in jungle mountains

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know that total war isn't really designed to handle guerrilla warfare but I'd like to see them try using mixed units and wider spacing for guerrilla units in future titles. Infantry rectangles are fine but they don't lend themselves very well to smaller scale conflicts. It's one of the several reasons that warpath suuuuuuucks. When are the Wendat or Iroquois ever going to engage in an open field battle with Europeans.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they kinda have it, like the ninjas that can sneak up in shogun or the ambush battles in rome 2, but they havent gone all out on it.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Yeah I'm not really sure there's a tasteful way to make a strategy game about the European colonial powers raping a continent.

They kinda pulled it off with the Americas campaign from Medivial 2 imo.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they've made 2 games about a culture that forcibly erased other cultures through conquest. a culture that dragged defeated enemy citizens to their capital and paraded and slaughtered them at the foot of their patron god as a minor part of an enormous celebration of the dudes leading genocides. a celebration that the rest of the known world was outraged about as being extremely, ridiculously cruel. the only difference is that was a long rear end time ago.

its entirely posible for them to make a tasteful game in colonial era america, much like you can make a tasteful game in other time periods.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 6, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

they've made 2 games about a culture that forcibly erased other cultures through conquest. a culture that dragged defeated enemy citizens to their capital and paraded and slaughtered them at the foot of their patron god as a minor part of an enormous celebration of the dudes leading genocides. a celebration that the rest of the known world was outraged about as being extremely, ridiculously cruel. the only difference is that was a long rear end time ago.

its entirely posible for them to make a tasteful game in colonial era america, much like you can make a tasteful game in other time periods.

there are some critical contextual differences re: the things being represented in games about ancient rome and games about more recent history

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know that total war isn't really designed to handle guerrilla warfare but I'd like to see them try using mixed units and wider spacing for guerrilla units in future titles. Infantry rectangles are fine but they don't lend themselves very well to smaller scale conflicts. It's one of the several reasons that warpath suuuuuuucks. When are the Wendat or Iroquois ever going to engage in an open field battle with Europeans.

Warhammer has the best mobile skirmishers of any title, I think. The mechanics that say, wood elf units on the battlefield (move while shooting, 360 degree firing arc, loose blob formation, can hide in open terrain) would work historically, imo. They're not over-thetop magical but mechanics a real guerilla unit could use. The only big difference would be the moving and shooting with black powder weapons, they'd be slower and need more complex coding for a "shoot, reload, move, shoot" cycle for each guy slowly moving in a given direction vs the wood elves who can just legolas around running and loosing arrows.

I don't wanna get too political in the TW thread but there is a bit of a difference. In 2018 we still have people who think black people are inferior to whites and that colonialism was good. We don't have roman patricians conquering places for political power or perso-hellenic supremacists executing latins in the streets. We're also still very tangibly influenced by the european imperial period of 1492-??? whereas no one today can say that their relative was dragged through Washington in chains for a triumph. This makes it touchier to a lot of people. It's not perfectly beep boop dweeeoooooop rational to be fine playing Genghis Khan but not Bush when both involve doing horrible war crimes in Iraq, but it's understandable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's a delicate subject so essentially give everyone more or less the same tools to go for with a tech tree at 1700 and sit back and watch the dickery. The alternate history aspect of these games are the most fascinating.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I definitely think there's a tasteful, acceptable way to do it. Theres no outrage about all the fps games set in the recent middle eastern conflicts, csgo is even an esport, and the fighting there is still a current event.

Its a touchier time period sure, but I dont think its untouchable.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2018

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Koramei posted:

I'd trust CA to do it respectfully more than lots of other companies, but I don't think there's any way to do it where it won't just turn into the next neo nazi magnet.
Pretty much my problem with any Scramble for Africa videogame depiction.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't wanna get too political in the TW thread but there is a bit of a difference. In 2018 we still have people who think black people are inferior to whites and that colonialism was good. We don't have roman patricians conquering places for political power or perso-hellenic supremacists executing latins in the streets.
On the other hand said people in 2018 are/have been deliberately invoking Roman mythos/iconography, not just in their social media bot avatars but in person.

I definitely think there's a tasteful, acceptable way to do it. Theres no outrage about all the fps games set in the recent middle eastern conflicts, csgo is even an esport, and the fighting there is still a current event.
The original CS however predates 9/11 so it was able to carry on via momentum, and there has in fact been multiple critiques of the first over the years... hell I vaguely remember "brown-tinted shooter fatigue" being part of why AAA first-person shooter games went sci-fi for a time.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

turn off the TV posted:

The next Saga game should be the US civil war and should only have the north as a playable faction.

They should have Coloured Regiments as the highest tier elite infantry

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

quote:

You may’ve noticed in our recent diplomacy video a few frames of the faction rank screen. Ranking plays an important role in your rise to ultimate power in ancient China, and directly informs how the end game begins to play out in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS.

As a warlord captures and expands settlements, or constructs special buildings in those settlements, they’ll gain prestige, which is what advances their faction rank. Each rank unlocks a new suite of bonuses affecting many aspects of the campaign game, such as improving the satisfaction levels of characters in your faction, increasing the amount of administrators, spies and armies you can employ, new diplomatic options, and more besides.

The top rank is, of course, emperor. Once you reach this level, you can proclaim yourself such, and your capital city becomes your seat of power. Up to three warlords can proclaim themselves emperor, however, so other warlords may beat you to it. However, emperorship can also be earned by capturing the capital of another emperor. As soon as you become emperor, any other self-proclaimed emperors you’re in an alliance with will cease to be your ally.

Moreover, as soon as three new emperors proclaim themselves, the existing child-emperor, Xian of the Han Empire, will abdicate his position. Xian is controlled by Dong Zhuo at the beginning of the game, and control of him – along with his loyal Han Empire as a vassal state – will pass to whoever captures Dong Zhuo’s capital city. Over the course of the campaign, and before three new emperors are proclaimed, control of Xian and vassalage of the Han Empire may well pass between multiple warlords, as they conquer the controlling Warlord’s capital.

For ultimate victory, however, only a single emperor can rule over China. If you’re in the end game and vying for supremacy with two others, you’ll need to capture their capitals, or perhaps subdue them into abdicating their emperorship by other means – a mighty show of military force may do it, for example. Or, if you’re lucky enough to command a loyal vassal who captures an emperor’s seat, he’ll pass the emperorship to you.

There can be only one!

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-november-2018

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I still hope for 1453 - 1699 campaign in Europe. Lots of cool and mainstream conflicts, a lot of less known. Rise of empires, and progress from feudal to professional armies. A lot of new ideas from ThroB and TW:RotK would fit there.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Or just skip all of that with the Imperial Seal and get steamrolled. Still, interesting to see that it takes three self-proclamations before Xian abdicates, while controlling him isn't a formal requirement for any of the three... and while someone could control Xian without self-proclaiming and go to war 'on Xian's behalf' with the self-proclaimed emperors, is there an endgame for someone who doesn't self-proclaim?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

the only difference is that was a long rear end time ago.

this is a really significant difference fyi

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Empire had the native American campaign which I remember was really fun. Autoresolve hosed you over though, but it was my first taste of having entire armies that were based around ambushes and avoiding a straight up fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
people would probably get mad if they did a colonialism total war but people also get mad when they put women into their other titles, people get mad when Serbia isn't correctly represented, people get mad when ships have the wrong guns and people get mad that orcs aren't real. id play it though.