Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I get that it's a problem for the pirate factions to die off but like couldnt you attack any of their other factions and take their poo poo? Is it possible to trigger a war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Guess they didn't actually want those smuggled parts after all :v:

Been back and forth to the station 3 times, and it seems the black market trader would rather shove themselves through a wall than talk to me. Kinda like everyone else I meet.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DogonCrook posted:

I get that it's a problem for the pirate factions to die off but like couldnt you attack any of their other factions and take their poo poo? Is it possible to trigger a war?

When you fight people in a sector, do you get just a penalty to the whole faction or does the entire faction turn against you? I remember stealing a Hyperion in X3 and the entirety of the Paranid turned on me despite having a good chunk of relations with them. Effectively killed my traders in Paranid space and everywhere else Paranid ships were taking pot shots at my ships... And I couldn't defend myself cause the split or argon would get mad at me for blowing those ships up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you start shooting up people, they themselves will turn hostile immediately and nearby stations will also send out cops to shoot you down. However your rep with the entire faction will not go down by the same degree. Eventually they will phone the big cops and you will lose rep points.

You can see this info in the logbook I think.

This, I think, also applies if you shoot up say, teladi in argon space. I think you would lose rep with both of them because the argon don't want you shooting allies and the teladi don't like being shot.

The holy order is at war with everyone so everyone will be quite happy for you to kill them, or vice versa.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 6, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Popete posted:

The encyclopedia being almost entirely empty, no descriptions for anything..

Turrets not working is a pretty big one.
The Encyclopedia being so hosed makes me highly confused why they even bothered to nerf some sales counter based stuff.

Even doing legitimate missions for sales counter stuff is essentially guesswork. More so when some of the commonly requested items like crystal bits and dust filters go the extra mile of not even having an encyclopedia entry.

"Please, kind sir! We need 30 crystal bits! We shall pay you a kings ransom of 56,000 credits!" "I feel like a zero is missing there... Okay, sure. Where can I find some?" "gently caress you! Guess!" "What even IS a crystal bit" "gently caress you! Guess!" "I bought some crystal bits after flying and walking around five stations. Can I have an encyclopedia entry now?" "gently caress you!"

"Right, I'm just going take this 740k mission for 1,800 food rations and 1,800 medical supplies. In my fighter with less than 200 cargo space. Because I can actually get the loving relevant information" (Just not from the encyclopedia, that's still useless)

Mildly related. I took a peek at the teladi start that gives you a free flower factory. "Computer. What do I need to actually MAKE these sunrise flowers?" "What are Sunrise flowers?"

Ben Nerevarine posted:

All complaints aside, the no loads at all thing is impressive as hell.
:yeah:

DogonCrook posted:

I think the pirates are pretty safe because When I reached their home sector, it was saturated with friend/foe mines. Everywhere. loving literally everywhere. :stare:

Related "Why do the Khaak seem to instantly dry up?" I saw a set of Khaak bases, including the fancy looking Installation, crammed in the corner of that sector. Scale pact are the true heroes.

Maintain your noble vigil, SCA space weed farm I

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 6, 2018

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
So I docked on a construction ship to maybe poach some decent captains and for some reason all of their stats showed as question marks when I approached them (but they were still hire-able). Is this reputation related or something?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Less Fat Luke posted:

So I docked on a construction ship to maybe poach some decent captains and for some reason all of their stats showed as question marks when I approached them (but they were still hire-able). Is this reputation related or something?

Nope, I suspect they're all supposed to be like that. But once you hit hire you can see their stars when you are supposed to select their assignment, and back out before you pay if they're not managers.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Well i guess what i mean is can you take territory and stations and whatnot ive never made it that far. If you cant gain or lose territory then yeah its a neat game but theres no point really.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fetko posted:

Swap to your pilot. Apparently the NPC has better luck clipping back out.

I think what happens is that NPC pilots are allowed to clip through geometry to make up for their lovely pathfinding. You'll notice if you're in a ship being piloted by an NPC that they'll often just ram into a station and bounce a couple of times before slowly pushing through it. If you try the same thing by taking the wheel yourself you'll just bounce off it forever.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think what happens is that NPC pilots are allowed to clip through geometry to make up for their lovely pathfinding. You'll notice if you're in a ship being piloted by an NPC that they'll often just ram into a station and bounce a couple of times before slowly pushing through it. If you try the same thing by taking the wheel yourself you'll just bounce off it forever.

Yeah. Do what this guy quoted suggests!

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Naturally Selected posted:

Any clue where i can find secure containers to make the EMP bombs?

Pretty sure I still find them RARELY at station vendors as of 1.2. I've got a handful and buy when I see them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

you need space flowers to run your space dutch space tulip scams. they're extremely rare and valuable you know, that's why i've got this whole crate of them available at the low, low price of 9001% markup!

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004

Radio Free Kobold posted:

you need space flowers to run your space dutch space tulip scams. they're extremely rare and valuable you know, that's why i've got this whole crate of them available at the low, low price of 9001% markup!

I can be a space tulip scammer? what's next spacecoins?!

nem-x
Dec 11, 2004

A deaf-mute

Don't know if this has been found out yet, but you can spawn infinite hackable points on a station with the tutorial.
Activate the tutorial for ship modes, hit Enter to enable scanning, Del to exit out, then wait for the waypoint to show up. Cancel the tutorial before you activate the point so you can accept it if it's a mission.

Managed to get a habitat module blueprint, and just a bunch of mission offers after that for the single station I've been using it on.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So far all the Khaak stations I've found have been along the outer "edge" of systems. I think the idea was to have them do quick raiding forays into the central part of their sector in order to build more ships. The problem is khaak light fighters and scouts are about as dangerous as garden gnomes so they almost never get the chance to make any heavy fighters.

Khaak heavy fighters are still fairly powerful and are the only ships I have encountered so far that cannot be killed by a stock discoverer.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 6, 2018

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Sweet found a lode stone at one of the holy order paranoid trading stations and got myself an odyssey vanguard with an emp bomb. All systems intact.

Now what to do with this thing...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lodestones come from asteroids, break some, they drop them.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How do you sell a ship in this game?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Gorelab posted:

How do you sell a ship in this game?

Dock it at a warf or shipyard and then right click the station from the map and there's options to buy, sell, upgrade, etc

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Make sure you strip it down first, though, and sell all consumables, because I'm pretty sure you make more money that way.

OwlFancier posted:

Lodestones come from asteroids, break some, they drop them.

For people looking for lodestones, unstable crystals and spacefly eggs, you can also just go to an asteroid field that has a lot of AI miners active in it, and you should see loads of the stuff scattered about everywhere for you to scoop up.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 6, 2018

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

I must be a total idiot, where is the Ministry of Finance faction rep?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hitze posted:

I must be a total idiot, where is the Ministry of Finance faction rep?
Make sure you are in the HQ building. They have little ridges on the station icon. It can vary from faction to faction what KIND of station it is. For example, in my save ARG HQ is a Wharf, HAT HQ is a trading station, and ANT HQ is an equipment dock. The filter will show any NPC HQ you know of just by typing "HQ" thankfully.

I've also heard station locations can shuffle around based initial game start spawns. The main TEL for me has their HQ off the beaten path at Inamus Zura VII, bordering some Xenon sectors. While the niche group MIN is two feet away from the mega highway loop in profit Center Alpha.

My problem with the MIN is that ranking up is bugged, so it gives me the second label and and no unlocks :saddowns: I'll try the rank up ceremony again now that we've got another baby patch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 6, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also, amusingly, just ask people where their faction rep is, and it'll give you a quest marker :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

You can also, amusingly, just ask people where their faction rep is, and it'll give you a quest marker :v:
Now if only this would work anywhere but already inside the HQ :sigh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Section Z posted:

Now if only this would work anywhere but already inside the HQ :sigh:

Doesn't it? It's a bit random whether they will tell you or whether they know afaik but I thought it worked?

E: Huh I just tested it and yeah nobody seems to know that's.. incredibly strange because I'm sure that's how I found one of them...

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 6, 2018

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man
Someone from Egosoft has been posting semi-regularly on the steam forums for the game, it's kinda amazing how quickly they are turning around some of these changes.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197983874788/posthistory/

I.e. " Please fix the lack of war that crushes the economy later in game. ... Work in progress... Beta probably tomorrow."

"You get good staff mainly through training. We will make this a lot easier for the lower stars with 1.30. Getting 5 stars in any category is however VERY hard. "

"I heard some customers wondering that some sectors are too small or that they even described a "bug" in which the map starts to move once a ship moves outside the sectors boundaries. This is a feature of the map. Sectors can be far bigger than what you see on the map at the start!! "

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah they really are blazing through the complaints. And yeah I actually realised that too, when people are describing "bouncing" off the sector edge that's actually the map expanding... And when stuff shows as being "out of the sector" that's actually just because it's at a point where your sector map has not yet expanded to encompass.

Very glad to hear they're improving training and fightyness.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Section Z posted:

Make sure you are in the HQ building. They have little ridges on the station icon. It can vary from faction to faction what KIND of station it is. For example, in my save ARG HQ is a Wharf, HAT HQ is a trading station, and ANT HQ is an equipment dock. The filter will show any NPC HQ you know of just by typing "HQ" thankfully.

I've also heard station locations can shuffle around based initial game start spawns. The main TEL for me has their HQ off the beaten path at Inamus Zura VII, bordering some Xenon sectors. While the niche group MIN is two feet away from the mega highway loop in profit Center Alpha.

My problem with the MIN is that ranking up is bugged, so it gives me the second label and and no unlocks :saddowns: I'll try the rank up ceremony again now that we've got another baby patch.

The ridges tip is what did it for me, found him in the equipment dock in Profit Center Alpha, thanks!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
finally worked out how to ss.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah they really are blazing through the complaints. And yeah I actually realised that too, when people are describing "bouncing" off the sector edge that's actually the map expanding... And when stuff shows as being "out of the sector" that's actually just because it's at a point where your sector map has not yet expanded to encompass.

Very glad to hear they're improving training and fightyness.

I really don't get why they won't just release as Early Access. They'd probably get a lot less poo poo about the game being broken if they just straight up admitted it was a public beta test and it's not as if they're just going to stop supporting it. I mean they stuck with Rebirth and continued supporting and updating it for years despite everyone hating it and saying it would never be good no matter how much they did with it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I really don't get why they won't just release as Early Access. They'd probably get a lot less poo poo about the game being broken if they just straight up admitted it was a public beta test and it's not as if they're just going to stop supporting it. I mean they stuck with Rebirth and continued supporting and updating it for years despite everyone hating it and saying it would never be good no matter how much they did with it.

Honestly for all the issues, "Indie Dev makes rough edges launch" is still a far better image than "Another EA Space Game". Though it does help that they have a known track record for actually fixing their poo poo over time.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bernd said "great sucess", so I guess polishing the turd made sense
*to egosoft, no one else.
Also, they have done a 180 wrt feedback since X:R, as the people on the X:R beta were flipping about stuff that was ignored point blank and eventually modded

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 6, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

OwlFancier posted:

E: Huh I just tested it and yeah nobody seems to know that's.. incredibly strange because I'm sure that's how I found one of them...

I find managers tend to know, especially at a major station such as a shipyard. I've been pointed to other sectors before so unless it recently broke it should still work. I did have to try a few stations, you do not have to have been to the station, not sure on the sector but they all seem to be on the highway so do a loop first.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Section Z posted:

Honestly for all the issues, "Indie Dev makes rough edges launch" is still a far better image than "Another EA Space Game". Though it does help that they have a known track record for actually fixing their poo poo over time.

Honestly they kinda remind me of pre-CK2 Paradox, where stuff was often a complete mess at launch but it'd eventually get pretty drat good. I'm honestly amazed how far Paradox has come.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gorelab posted:

a complete mess at launch ... snip.

all AAA games since, hmm, 8-9 years ago.
it follows a pattern of reviewers trying it untill around the first "mission" concludes, then extrapolating from that, so games end up with 100's of unique assets for the first mission, used practically nowhere else.
and that mission is on rails.

*magically sidesteps devolving into games industry """"Ethics""""

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 6, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
All things considered, I can't imagine the launch going better than it has. Bugs and things unfinished? Sure, that's become the standard for every game anyway. Egosoft has an incredible track record of post release support, even for Rebirth which everyone loving hated. They're listening and iterating rapidly and sincerely interested in giving us the game we want to have. It's not perfect, but it's one of the best launches I've seen in a while!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

All things considered, I can't imagine the launch going better than it has. Bugs and things unfinished? Sure, that's become the standard for every game anyway. Egosoft has an incredible track record of post release support, even for Rebirth which everyone loving hated. They're listening and iterating rapidly and sincerely interested in giving us the game we want to have. It's not perfect, but it's one of the best launches I've seen in a while!

I feel like this might be going a bit far down the "X grading curve", but then again, you look at Fallout 76 and think "huh maybe this is a lot better than I thought".

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah, to be fair I spent money on 76 so I'm feeling really god drat forgiving lately.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I mean it's better than I expected going in based on previous x releases, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
90% of the fun in an x game is realising you have practically no idea what you are doing and why, the other 10% is finding ways to get what you want without mods.
also gently caress off nvidia, stop setting my monitor as the default for audio, you gently caress

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 6, 2018