Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The rival in LGPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

iospace posted:

I would have thought you of all people would have gone for the Steel set given that last one listed

I have many favorites and Primarina is my friend. :colbert:

A Spider Covets posted:

What did you guys name your rival?

Mine is "my dude," which has led to great quotes from Oak.

I named him "my butt" and it was an endless source of comedy. It did not get old. It never stopped being funny. "Received a Revive from my butt."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I named my rival Casslown, because I knew I'd be playing it within sight of my nieces/nephews over thanksgiving but I can still snicker at it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I named my rival Rival, because he is the rival.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

iospace posted:

Thoughts?

Fairy and Steel are easy to monorun due to their strengths and the kind of pokemon you'll be battling throughout the game. Not very challenging if that's what you're looking for.
That said, if your heart is set on either one, might I suggest my good metal friend Bisharp or less metal but still good Shiinotic?

For ice... Vanilluxe is deserving of more love. There's also Glaceon, Mamoswine, Cloyster and Aurorus to consider. And Crabominable but it's.. not very good or cute which is a hard pass for a lot of people.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

you can use monotypes as a difficulty slider. Run bug if you want a harder time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I can't believe people are mad at the fact that it swallowed an everstone.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zuzie posted:

I can't believe people are mad at the fact that it swallowed an everstone.

That owns, because they are basically saying "no he's not going to evolve he's perfect the way he is."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dizz posted:

you can use monotypes as a difficulty slider. Run bug if you want a harder time.

Bug runs are always great ways to play a hard-mode. It really is one of the worst types. Then you get, like, a Scyther and things get a bit easier. But you're still punching way below what a normal starter type brings to the table.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zeron posted:

Beating up animals until they are unconscious and then sticking them in a cage...can we just stick to throwing balls at them and just make it more involved?

Take some inspiration from Pokemon Snap, be able to use instruments, different kind of baits, just more ways to influence how easy they are to catch. Make each pokemon have likes/dislikes etc. The current system is bad with berries only lasting one attempt, but I think the concept is better overall and just needs refinement. I'm sure there are ways to involve your party pokemon in capturing too. Have abilities/certain moves usable in capturing etc. Don't abandon the system just cause the first implementation needs work.

THE loving MOON posted:

Maybe a good solution would be giving the wild pokemon a scaling chance to actually attack you depending on level disparity?

I think both of these ideas combined show a lot of potential. Less motion controls and raw number of balls, more puzzling and sleuthing out catches, could make for a really fun combo. Making it so a Pokemon's behavior and habitat will change if it acts aggressively, or keeps passive Go-style, or even tries to flee and needs to be cornered for the catch, would help make the world come alive. Interplay these systems in a possibly Safari Zone style fashion, and there could be some real magic being made.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I did a mono-Bug run in White 2. It was sort of cheating because every bug in that gen is good, and you can get an early Volcarona about halfway through the game. But it was worth it.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

jokes posted:

Bug runs are always great ways to play a hard-mode. It really is one of the worst types. Then you get, like, a Scyther and things get a bit easier. But you're still punching way below what a normal starter type brings to the table.

Yeah working your way up from Butterfree and Beedrill's lovely stats/type/moves to better things like venomoth, scyther, and pinsir. One good Psychic will still crap on you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Isn't is supposed to be the other way around? Out of those only Beedrill is weak to psychic

Bug is a fine offensive type by the way, resisted by not that much when combined with its usual pairing, Flying, and hitting psychic is especially good in gen 1.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Amppelix posted:

Isn't is supposed to be the other way around? Out of those only Beedrill is weak to psychic

Bug is a fine offensive type by the way, resisted by not that much when combined with its usual pairing, Flying, and hitting psychic is especially good in gen 1.

Have you ever played a gen 1 game?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Amppelix posted:

They don't really have good HP and special defense [better than their defenses, to be fair]. I BELIEVE poison is weak to psychic. They should also be weak to rocks, fire, ice, electric??

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^Yes, poison is weak to psychic. Beedrill is the only bug/poison type in gen 1. Bug is not weak to psychic.

The weaknesses of bug are flying, rock, and fire.

Star Man posted:

Have you ever played a gen 1 game?
Yes, but we're not talking about them, we're talking about let's go

or are we??

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Amppelix posted:

or are we??

I might have just Kramered into the thread without realizing it.

Though I have given thought to playing Red or Blue with bad Pokémon only and it is in fact pretty miserable.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Yeah I should replace Suou with someone else. four 7c is pretty fine and interesting but his skill doesn't help at all when i need it

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Someone’s enjoying his unofficial mascot status.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Rowlett swallowed the everstone because it knew it was gonna die when it evolved later on.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

in the anime, there's a Mimikyu that can fly and is intangible because it's a ghost, and not just a Ghost-type. As in, it is the restless spirit of a dead Mimikyu.

So Ghost Pokemon aren't actual ghosts. ergo Decidueye doesn't die whenever it evolves.

Acerola gave that Mimikyu a cute bow, by the way.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Nodosaur posted:

in the anime, there's a Mimikyu that can fly and is intangible because it's a ghost, and not just a Ghost-type. As in, it is the restless spirit of a dead Mimikyu.

So Ghost Pokemon aren't actual ghosts. ergo Decidueye doesn't die whenever it evolves.

And some ghost Pokemon are explicitly ghosts of people, like Gengar :allears:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Yamask also carries it's face from when it was alive, but they all are the same thing, so pokemon are either super racist or Yamasks are all just the dead souls of one guy who was cloned a trillion times.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

Yamask also carries it's face from when it was alive, but they all are the same thing, so pokemon are either super racist or Yamasks are all just the dead souls of one guy who was cloned a trillion times.

i mean it's a mask of the face details are gonna be lost.

and pokemon types are mostly based on like Chi and decidueye just has big ghost energy

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Dizz posted:

I named my rival Rival, because he is the rival.

I named him Chum, because "chump" is too crass

Amppelix posted:

^^Yes, poison is weak to psychic. Beedrill is the only bug/poison type in gen 1. Bug is not weak to psychic.

The weaknesses of bug are flying, rock, and fire.

or are we??

Venomoth is Bug/Poison, too.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I named the rival Gary because I thought he was gonna be Gary and then I was super disappointed by him being such a dork and never saying smell you later :(

Hey so does this game retcon a bunch of stuff from gen 1? Or is this another alternate dimension thing?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Presumably it's the gen one of the mega evolution universe

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

BrainDance posted:

I named the rival Gary because I thought he was gonna be Gary and then I was super disappointed by him being such a dork and never saying smell you later :(

Hey so does this game retcon a bunch of stuff from gen 1? Or is this another alternate dimension thing?

meowth no longer talks

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How do you stop something from evolving? I was jamming that b button yesterday and my dude still evolved

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dizz posted:

meowth no longer talks

Yeah it's hosed up

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

How do you stop something from evolving? I was jamming that b button yesterday and my dude still evolved

I think your b button may be broken cause that's how you do it

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
You can't cancel trade evolutions

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ah ok. That was the first one. I couldn't cancel.

Then later I couldn't cancel a Geodude, but I was using the pokeball at the time, and I HELD the top button. Do I need to a mash it instead? Similar for B... Hold or mash?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

when the music plays i just hit b once and it cancelled dratini's evo

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dizz posted:

Maybe Yamasks are the dead souls of a video game character. Every time you breed another Yamask, said character loses another life.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Dizz posted:

meowth no longer talks

ya but is Lt Surge still american?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

BrainDance posted:

No, he is now called "The Lightning Lieutenant" instead of "The Lightning American"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

BrainDance posted:

He's still a bitch, so yes

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Since Red, Blue, and Green are in the game I called myself Yellow and named rival Purple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

Mimikyu is never established as a dead thing, it's just some lovecraftian horror that drives you insane when you look at it. Hoopa is kind of like that too, it's not a dead thing it's just from another dimension.

Some ghost types are actually dead people like Phantump and Yamask.

Some are cursed objects like Honedge and Banette.

And some are just vaguely spirtual or...I dunno sneaky I guess like ghost type Oricorio and Decidueye.

The whole situation, like most things in Pokemon, is very confusing and best not thought about too hard.