Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't know if I'd call it a scam because I didn't see it asking for money (although I didn't look into it very deeply), but it seems very...new-agey (aka bullshit). The way people talk about it it's almost sounds like they're in a cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I don't know if I'd call it a scam because I didn't see it asking for money (although I didn't look into it very deeply), but it seems very...new-agey (aka bullshit). The way people talk about it it's almost sounds like they're in a cult.

there's definitely a ton of merch for it

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mindfulness is a scam the same way Buddhism is a scam. I don't see much harm in it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It's a scam insofar as it's a helpful practice and lens through which to view the world that has been co-opted by hypercapitalist parasites to wring a couple thousandths of a percent more efficiency from their chattel, who will hopefully commit suicide quietly and privately in their own homes once they've lost the will to go on instead of carrying out the year's 200th workplace mass shooting.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

It's a scam insofar as it's a helpful practice and lens through which to view the world that has been co-opted by hypercapitalist parasites to wring a couple thousandths of a percent more efficiency from their chattel, who will hopefully commit suicide quietly and privately in their own homes once they've lost the will to go on instead of carrying out the year's 200th workplace mass shooting.

You have confused “mindfulness” here with “anything a statistically significant group of americans have ever tried to believe in”

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like to sit and to exploit others. Does this make me a scam artist?

No, because I'm not successful at either.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ David Lynch swears by transcendental meditation practices, and the U.S. military was into it for psych maintenance, last I heard. I'm not good at blatant self-deception.

Sorry, I interpretted mindfulness to be, more or less, "slow down for a moment, step back, consider everything around you and how everything fits into everything else, your place in everything, how the everything you know fits into everything else, how everything in the universe is connected and how, ultimately, nothing really matters, but you should still use your abilities to strive to manifest what you believe are the conditions for a better world."

Am 100% open to less convoluted definitions, if anyone can furnish them. Web search is cheating.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's like The Treachery of Images, the Ceci n'est pas une pipe picture. When you're so used to not noticing that an object and the mere image of an object are not the same thing, it's a shock to have that pointed out. It leaves you ripe for both perspective-change and exploitation.

There is a responsibility and sensibility for teachers not to abuse this imbalance of power, but maybe we will only do the right thing after we've exhausted everything else. So the mass scams and cults of personality may continue until the bottom completely gives out.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
My science teacher in 6th grade was very explicit and upfront with us that she had the power to control our minds and that we should never take at face value without verification anything she said.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.

Tubgoat posted:

How 'bout that losing 100 pounds?

Turt lost his 100 lbs through the combined efforts of calorie counting, being in a better home environment, being 6'2" tall, being a man, walking to work daily, and using pot strains that suppress appetite. I do however force him to take vitamins because macro and micronutrients are important. He did have a nutritionist for a while but then we moved.

Source: I'm his fiancee and very jealous of his weight loss as a 5' woman who bikes daily and can't seem to lose weight no matter how little I eat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have you considered smoking different kinds of pot?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so does he believe in calories after all or do you just count them for him

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I believe in calorie Jesus.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
bing crosby is not a good singer. if there is one thing i hate, it's the smarmy rear end in a top hat that sounds like he thinks he's better than you

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Incorrect, also he is better than you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

GlassLotus posted:

Turt lost his 100 lbs through the combined efforts of calorie counting, being in a better home environment, being 6'2" tall, being a man, walking to work daily, and using pot strains that suppress appetite. I do however force him to take vitamins because macro and micronutrients are important. He did have a nutritionist for a while but then we moved.

Source: I'm his fiancee and very jealous of his weight loss as a 5' woman who bikes daily and can't seem to lose weight no matter how little I eat.

only one of the things on that list actually caused weight loss.

Getting to the headstate where you can make the necessary changes is hard and will be different for every person but "actually calories don't matter unless you have therapy and a nutritionist and pot and are tall and and and" is self-defeating and unhelpful for someone looking to begin changing their lifestyle.

source: went from 200+lbs to 130 at 5'6'' in 2010-2012, don't smoke, never been to a nutrionist, etc

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is nevertheless easier to lose weight if you're taller and male.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aramek posted:

Incorrect, also he is better than you.

rear end in a top hat beat his kids and psychologically tormented em, there's only a few ways to be worse than that

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

those numbers almost literally mean nothing and you're so stupid for not getting that. literally nothing can help someone who is fat besides a poo poo ton of loving therapy, and the sooner gross people like you clue in and start telling fat people to get therapy rather than like, a million dieting tips that helps absolutely 0, because healthy weight loss happens with a nutritionist, and a personal trainer, and good mental health. Not because you read the made up numbers corporations make up to get you to buy their food.

ask me about losing 100lbs.

E: put 120, but then i realized i mathed wrong.

lots of people lose weight without a personal trainer and a nutritionist all the time irl tho

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

GlassLotus posted:

pot strains that suppress appetite

Wait, WHAT :catstare:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

You're going to die eventually, and until your own personal body is well and truly on fire, there is a buffet of pleasures (small and big, but mostly small) that make individual moments/hours/days worth living, so opting to miss out on them because of a (however accurately) pessimistic long view is also not the decision of a mentally well person.

The idea that "unlike other peoples' depression, my depression is a rational response to my lovely situation" is probably one of the most insidious parts of the disease.

This is a very unpopular opinion. I personally love Nobly Being Right even when it makes me miserable :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 6, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Turtlicious posted:

yeah its amazing. You can just like say "Oh im dieting" to your weed delivery person and if they're good they'll hook you up and give you weed that kills your appetite and makes you want to excercise.

that's coke. They're giving you cocaine and calling it weed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I live in an illegal state so any claims as to the subtleties of weed are met with a hearty lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

yeah its amazing. You can just like say "Oh im dieting" to your weed delivery person and if they're good they'll hook you up and give you weed that kills your appetite and makes you want to excercise.

My money would be on this being 99.9% a placebo effect thing. Tell stoners the weed will do X or Y and they will totally believe it and pay a premium for it, even if it's just regular old weed.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Dec 6, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Turtlicious posted:

no ur right, my 3 medical professionals, and my plant geneticist fiance are probably all wrong.

It takes a big person to admit their plant geneticist fiance is full of poo poo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Turtlicious I think you might be taking weed a little too seriously.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Barley tea is really good, and should be more easily available.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Turtlicious posted:

no ur right, my 3 medical professionals, and my plant geneticist fiance are probably all wrong.

e1: And vice

e2: and a bunch of news organizations

e3: or the american journal of medicine.

The chemical is THC-V, Here's an article written by a neuro scientist / plant genetecist: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/list-major-cannabinoids-cannabis-effects, in california all weed has to be lab tested, so I get a chemical breakdown of my plants right on the bottle. I check my plants with a joulers loupe under light, and I take care of them, not to mention GlassLotus can verify all these lab results in her lab as well.

lmao imagine believing that plants have genes in 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

christmas boots posted:

lmao imagine believing that plants have genes in 2018

Where would they even keep them? Plants don’t have pockets.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Strategic Tea posted:

I personally love Nobly Being Right even when it makes me miserable :v:
I wish I did.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

spit on my clit posted:

rear end in a top hat beat his kids and psychologically tormented em, there's only a few ways to be worse than that

Sure, but you said he was a bad singer and that's untrue. Lots of really great singers are also terrible people.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ommin posted:

Sure, but you said he was a bad singer and that's untrue. Lots of really great singers are also terrible people.

i personally disagree with that, because i hate his smarmy-rear end voice. he sounds like a man who you'd want to punch in the face immediately, and repeatedly.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

spit on my clit posted:

i personally disagree with that, because i hate his smarmy-rear end voice. he sounds like a man who you'd want to punch in the face immediately, and repeatedly.

Harsh, but fair.

PHUO: I like the taste of Reddi-Wip or however they spell it more than real actual heavy whipped cream. It's the vanillin, the finest artifical flavor compound. Artificial grape and artificial peach are extremely delicious also.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

PHUO: If you're a lovely person, your art is shittier. You can make the objectively best most amazing song ever somehow, if you're a homophobic rapist or something, gently caress you, you and your creation're trash. :colbert:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

e1: And vice

e2: and a bunch of news organizations

e3: or the american journal of medicine.

The chemical is THC-V, Here's an article written by a neuro scientist / plant genetecist: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/list-major-cannabinoids-cannabis-effects, in california all weed has to be lab tested, so I get a chemical breakdown of my plants right on the bottle. I check my plants with a joulers loupe under light, and I take care of them, not to mention GlassLotus can verify all these lab results in her lab as well.

your genetic fiancé also believes calories are things that exist and can be 'counted', (how stupid do you have to be not to realise numbers are just made up, lol) so forgive me if I'm sceptical

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Dec 6, 2018

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Yeeeah I think I'll be sticking with the advice of my medical team over you jokers, m'Kaaay? *turns to group consisting of weed dealer and the sesame street count wearing an engagement ring*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Dec 6, 2018