Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Godholio posted:

I can't even wrap my brain around the claims in here.

Same. I work for the state and I’m allowed to expense (with receipt)$50 for dinner, $20 for breakfast (no lunch, no alcohol) when I’m out on business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I work for a German company and we aren't allowed to expense alcohol.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I know a guy who's squadron (about 200 people) got back from deployment about 6 weeks ago and their vouchers are still bouncing around the system. My first deployment it took almost 5 months and a phone call from a general to someone in Wyoming for us to get paid. The discussion in this thread sounds completely made up to me. I can't even wrap my brain around the claims in here.
I find that ease of expenses reporting generally reflects the amount of respect an organization has for its rank and file, so it makes perfect sense that this is your experience in the armed forces.

shame on an IGA posted:

I work for a German company and we aren't allowed to expense alcohol.
I can only imagine the chaos if you were.

In most of my EU jobs the rule has usually been that booze is ok to expense within reason, usually with food.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 5, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

evil_bunnY posted:

I find that ease of expenses reporting generally reflects the amount of respect an organization has for its rank and file, so it makes perfect sense that this is your experience in the armed forces.

This checks. Most of my jobs have been with garbage companies that don't give a gently caress. My last company, I never met anyone above me in three years, and got nothing besides a paycheck. I've been on with my current company for about six months and I've met a company VP twice and last week the president flew in from the other coast to take us out to a fancy tapas place and had an open bar and dedicated bartender. It's weird, but I could get used to this.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Thomamelas posted:

... our headquarters in Denmark ...

Are you allowed to say what company? I work for a Danish multinational.

Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8RJ58tA_4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The problem with working with/around government is you're not allowed to buy them anything so you have no possible excuse for spending lots on alcohol and claiming you were "entertaining".

I mean, unless you're going for outright corruption but in that case you can't be filing it as what it really was anyways?

This is why "run government like a corporation" to save money makes me laugh. Thats what all of Trump's cabinet secretaries are trying to do and then they freak out when they find out that they only make $150k/year and its literally a crime to buy a first class ticket on a random airline.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Are you allowed to say what company? I work for a Danish multinational.

Anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx8RJ58tA_4

I prefer not to say directly but we're multinational but owned by a larger multinational whose name is associated with photography.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Godholio posted:

I know a guy who's squadron (about 200 people) got back from deployment about 6 weeks ago and their vouchers are still bouncing around the system. My first deployment it took almost 5 months and a phone call from a general to someone in Wyoming for us to get paid. The discussion in this thread sounds completely made up to me. I can't even wrap my brain around the claims in here.

I never went on a deployment without finance loving SOMETHING up before, during, or after. Last time (2016), I randomly received an exact payment of $3000 3 weeks into the deployment. I saw it, sighed, put it into my savings account, and got a call like 9 days later going "So.... we uhh accidentally paid yo..." "Three thousand dollars to the penny. I saw it the day it happened." "Well, we are going to just..." "Deduct it from my paychecks until things are right. Got it."

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Finance is the literal worst.

And people wonder how billions of dollars can just go missing in Afghanistan.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
lol @ the idea of getting reimbursed without a receipt

We have a pretty generous expense policy and reporting is easy, but no receipt, no reimbursement. No ifs, buts or maybes. Some of the salespeople were like "but what if we need to take a taxi in the Philippines and pay cash" (which is a thing that happens regularly), but no, there's no bending that rule under any circumstances. Itemized receipt or you are screwed. It's not really corporate finance that's being hardasses either, it's that both auditors and the tax agency here have a reputation for cracking down on even the most insignificant discrepancy when it comes to expenses.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah because it's a very obvious vessel for evading income tax. You should do that the way rich people do it, instead.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

at my university if you want to get reimbursed for the gas you bought when driving the department's beat-to-poo poo delivery truck you have to submit a google map showing the exact route you took to the site and back, with google's calculated distance matching the odometer mileage :shepface:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Ola posted:

But no trim tabs? I assumed that is more of a fly-by-wire thing.

This is a super late reply but this thread has taken a two page derail into getting your company to pay for booze.

Most light aircraft that have stabilators use a thing called an Anti-Servo tab.

This is basically a trim tab that move the same way as the control surface to give it good control feel. Without it the stabilator would not have a normal control feel where moving the surface more requires proportionally more force.

The way the trim system works on planes with anti servo tabs is that the trim wheel controls the neutral position of the anti-servo tab. So when you move the trim it sets the relationship between the anti servo tab and the stabilator.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

helno posted:

This is a super late reply but this thread has taken a two page derail into getting your company to pay for booze.

Most light aircraft that have stabilators use a thing called an Anti-Servo tab.

This is basically a trim tab that move the same way as the control surface to give it good control feel. Without it the stabilator would not have a normal control feel where moving the surface more requires proportionally more force.

The way the trim system works on planes with anti servo tabs is that the trim wheel controls the neutral position of the anti-servo tab. So when you move the trim it sets the relationship between the anti servo tab and the stabilator.

... which, inexplicably, the PA-28 series manuals call a "servo" tab.

I give the gently caress up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There is nothing in aviation more confusing than the relationship and naming scheme of Servo and anti-servo tabs.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

MrYenko posted:

There is nothing in aviation more confusing than the relationship and naming scheme of Servo and anti-servo tabs.

I started getting riled up for an orgy of counterexamples but somehow found it within myself to calm down and step away for the sake of my blood pressure...

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrYenko posted:

A vertical stabilizer stabilizes you in horizontal yaw, and a horizontal stabilizer stabilizes you in the vertical pitch.

vessbot posted:

I started getting riled up for an orgy of counterexamples but somehow found it within myself to calm down and step away for the sake of my blood pressure...

Okay same gonna stop now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trap sprung.

:cool:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

helno posted:

It's a little more important than just control feel. An elevator, because of how it is hinged and placed on the airframe, will tend to be forced back into the neutral position whenever it's deployed into the airstream. If you let go of the yoke the elevator (and yoke) will return to center through aerodynamic force.

A stabilator is the opposite: when you turn it out of line with the relative wind, the aerodynamic forces catch the front surface and push it further in the same direction*. If you pull the yoke a little bit out of center and let go, it will continue all the way to the end of its travel, turning every pitch input into a maximum effort climb or dive unless the pilot actively resists. That's obviously bad.

The anti-servo tab creates a centering force similar to that you'd see with an elevator, so yes it does make the controls feel right, but it also adds critical pitch stability.

*the magnitude of this effect depends on the specific stabilator design but I have described the worst case scenario

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Pfft, control feel. Nothing you can't simulate with a series of springs and cams.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

A stabilator is the opposite: when you turn it out of line with the relative wind, the aerodynamic forces catch the front surface and push it further in the same direction*. If you pull the yoke a little bit out of center and let go, it will continue all the way to the end of its travel, turning every pitch input into a maximum effort climb or dive unless the pilot actively resists. That's obviously bad.

This may be true, but not categorically so. It depends on where the point of rotation is, chordwise on the stab. If the point of rotation was more forward, then it would have the same stick-free stability as a conventional elevator. So, either, A) Piper realized that the Cherokee's stab is too unstable at a point too late in the game to move the point of rotation without too big of a redesign, so they added the antiservo tab as a bandaid to center it back up; or B) they knew what they were doing from the beginning, and made it the way it is for some more subtle reason. I honestly don't know which it is. Can anyone think of other examples of bugsmashers with stabilators, and whether they also have antiservo tabs?

I guess a possibility is that when hinged so that the stab is stable on its own, the CG range would have been too tight. And somehow, if they hinged it for less stability, and re-added the stability with an antiservo tab, CG changes have a lower effect on stability so the envelope can be opened a bit? Pure speculation.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 6, 2018

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Buttcoin purse posted:

I had to spend a week in Los Angeles for work, and while my hotel was a fair drive from the airport, my office wasn't far from the hotel. However, I also drove down to San Diego to visit USS Midway and visited an air museum, and those trips probably accounted for about 90% of the mileage on the rental car. I offered to try to figure out how much of the mileage was personal and allocate the fuel costs that way but my company said not to worry, so I got company-funded aeronautical insanity! :toot:

USS Midway is pretty cool. I remember having a pretty long chat with one of the Docents about the ship's steam systems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

revmoo posted:

USS Midway is pretty cool. I remember having a pretty long chat with one of the Docents about the ship's steam systems.

Docents are awesome. The one who gave us a personal guided tour of the USS Hornet spent half an hour talking about the Russian sonobuoy they had on display (he was charmingly vague if this one still had its self-destruct charge). We drained his memory dry in the CIC, that was great.

My advice on touring anything big with docents leading tours is to cut one out of the pack, engage them, and get them to take you on a tour away from the main group. Also if it has a CIC, stand in the middle and just bask in the sense of power, even empty, dimly lit, and with nothing on the displays (they're transparent panels with someone trained to write in mirror image standing behind them)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah because it's a very obvious vessel for evading income tax. You should do that the way rich people do it, instead.

Do you know about "captive insurance companies" as an estate planning tool because those are loving magical

:d2a:

but really this guy's columns are great for keeping tabs on the latest trendy scams for small business owners

https://www.mmsonline.com/columns/the-captive-audience

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 6, 2018

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Aeronautical Insanity: Now singing "The Accountancy Shanty"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TheFluff posted:

lol @ the idea of getting reimbursed without a receipt
Concur has a built in affidavit function which our company accepts in lieu of a receipt but it should be, and is, a rarity. I think I've literally used it twice.

A no exception policy for losing or not getting a receipt is absurd. I have literally had gas pump printers gently caress up and the guy inside shrug. Punishing an employee for doing their job is horseshit and will only make an employee either make it up in other ways or leave with an exceptionally bad taste in their mouth.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I've toured the Hornet and Midway, and more recently the HMS Belfast. I guess I have somewhat of a fascination with ships because since due to their size, and primitiveness compared to modern cars/airplanes, all of their separate functions are done by separate people so I view it as a kind of living organism.

I mean, say, with a car you have your eyes, hands feet, the few controls that those can touch, and that's it. All of the mechanics are integrated into that. You push the gas pedal and it goes vroom. In an airplane, it's broken out a little more manually, with 2 or 3 guys, and a few hundred controls. As far as the gas pedal, well bad example... not really different from a car. But on a ship, you have someone on the bridge crew (i.e., the brain) telegraphing a command like "2/3 ahead" down into the engine room, where (at least on the Belfast, and this part blew my mind) the main dude in the engine room reads that and sends on a SECOND telegraph an even more low-level order where finally the dude actually turning steam valves performs that task.

Behind the bridge (or "compass platform, in Brit speak) is the operations room where navigation is plotted, and data from all the sensors comes in. Some of that integrates to the gunnery mechanical computer, which is somewhere else on the ship. On the bridge itself you've got a half dozen guys separately doing the steering, looking out, interfacing with other ship functions, etc.

I'm stopping myself from running away with trying to recreate the entire scheme of everything on the ship and what talks to everything else. But needless to say, on the people side of things, there are many support functions that support other support functions, etc. multiple levels deep, from the bottle washer up to the Captain and down to the guy aiming the gun and/or pulling the trigger.

And same on the mechanical side of things. Like the electrical and hydraulic and pneumatic supplies I'm used to from being a pilot, there's that and probably half a dozen different types of water supply. And instead of the handful of switches and sensors to interface with that, there's a main dude in charge of it all and a bunch of guys all over the ship that can manually turn valves, repair pipes, tap into supplies, etc. I really grokked and stood back in awe of all this when seeing the damage control room, which I take as the heart of the ship, to keep up with the bio analogy.

First 2 pics are of damage control. 3rd pic is the second telegraph, in the engine room.

This last one's from the Reichstag, at the main location of the Imperial War Museum, it's only picture I took other than at the Belfast (I'm not really a picture guy)

Maybe you Navy guys can correct me on any misconceptions. Or maybe just talk more about ships in general. And in Brit speak, the mess seems to be where they sleep and not where they eat?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 6, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

at my university if you want to get reimbursed for the gas you bought when driving the department's beat-to-poo poo delivery truck you have to submit a google map showing the exact route you took to the site and back, with google's calculated distance matching the odometer mileage :shepface:
This is the kind of management incompetence I know and love

I once had to visit a lab ~45k away and the admins were SUCH a pain to deal with to reimburse a rental that I just biked there and back.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Notice the red/green pegs on the right to be put into holes on the diagrams... Looks like it's gonna take more pegs to sink this ship!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I visited HMS Belfast when I was like 8 years old, and I've always wanted to go back.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Godholio posted:

I visited HMS Belfast when I was like 8 years old, and I've always wanted to go back.

Did you also go check out the service plaza on the M1 that its guns are targeting?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

PT6A posted:

It's amazing, isn't it? My goddamn Bose ANR headset can't do poo poo about it either. I don't know what it is about a baby's shriek but it cuts through goddamn EVERYTHING.

Buy actual in-ear monitors. It's on a whole different level.

e: oh, I guess if you're using an aviation headset you're probably on the pilot's seat and IEMs aren't an option

marumaru fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 7, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Did you also go check out the service plaza on the M1 that its guns are targeting?

Doesn't ring a bell, but it's been about 30 years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

vessbot posted:

This may be true, but not categorically so. It depends on where the point of rotation is, chordwise on the stab. If the point of rotation was more forward, then it would have the same stick-free stability as a conventional elevator. So, either, A) Piper realized that the Cherokee's stab is too unstable at a point too late in the game to move the point of rotation without too big of a redesign, so they added the antiservo tab as a bandaid to center it back up; or B) they knew what they were doing from the beginning, and made it the way it is for some more subtle reason. I honestly don't know which it is. Can anyone think of other examples of bugsmashers with stabilators, and whether they also have antiservo tabs?

I guess a possibility is that when hinged so that the stab is stable on its own, the CG range would have been too tight. And somehow, if they hinged it for less stability, and re-added the stability with an antiservo tab, CG changes have a lower effect on stability so the envelope can be opened a bit? Pure speculation.

It might be as simple as "we had to put the pivot at the stab's CG and that gave it negative aerodynamic stability". I can imagine the stabilizer flopping down under its own weight if you put the hinge too far forward.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
'Treasure hunt' for parts drives Saskatoon man's WW II aircraft rebuild

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/saskatoon-wwii-plane-aircraft-rebuild-1.4932497

Guy in Saskatoon is rebuilding a BF-109G6 for a wealthy collector in the US. It's going to be a flyable one as well.

There is an audio clip for CBC radio just below the picture. The interviewer tries to push the "Nazi" angle a few times, but he doesn't bite.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maybe he can mark it as an Israeli one?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Inacio posted:

Buy actual in-ear monitors. It's on a whole different level.

e: oh, I guess if you're using an aviation headset you're probably on the pilot's seat and IEMs aren't an option

Well, it's not really a concern when I'm up front because I'm still just an instructor and the only tears come from my students ;)

But it would be nice to have for commercial travel, for sure.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ulmont posted:

"Well, this sucks, but I definitely know how it could be worse?"

If you had to use the lovely half-baked implementation of Peoplesoft that we’ve had to use (until next month) you’d know the answer to the question.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

The 747 that had the runway excursion in CYHZ was a complete loss.

Video of it getting ripped apart to clear the hull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21O215h7A2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kind of expected that. Another 747 dies. :(