Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
certainly explains why basic operations like copy and paste just didn’t exist with the one silverlight app I’m stuck having to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Silverlight was wpf so idk what hes on about

speaking of, wpf, winforms and winui are now all open source as of today

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 5, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

speaking of, wpf, winforms and winui are now all open source as of today

itym abandonware

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

itym abandonware

i know winforms is legacy trash, but i thought wpf was their current thing

bear in mind i haven't hosed around with any windows code in 4 or 5 years at this point (and that was old rear end raw win32), so idk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arguably winui is their current thing.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

turnover is very, very high

turnover isn't that high, it's just that google hires like 20,000 college grads every year: https://www.datawrapper.de/_/zled5/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

The_Franz posted:

i know winforms is legacy trash, but i thought wpf was their current thing

this is the 2018 way of announcing it isn't

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
winui is the new new thing but only works on newer versions of win10 iirc. I think you can use xamarin to do cross-platform ui?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

now that winforms is getting updates it’s the best windows ui framework again

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

b0lt posted:

turnover isn't that high, it's just that google hires like 20,000 college grads every year: https://www.datawrapper.de/_/zled5/

1. your chart link doesn't work

2. they have to hire 20k college grads every year because turnover is high

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

I think you can use xamarin to do cross-platform ui?

only if you hate yourself

the only cross platform ui that doesn't look or feel like complete dogshit on at least one platform is Qt. java's swing gets an honorable mention for being equally poo poo on all platforms

for c# development, there is a very high quality option on Linux (gtk#), several good options on windows (winui, wpf, winforms), and 0 good options on osx. and obviously none of the good options are cross platform. unless you want to inflict gtk on your windows/osx users. (you don't)

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

friends dont let friends speak approvingly of gtk

knock urself out nbsd

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gtk# is a much nicer api than gtk or gtkmm

not coincidentally it only supports gtk 2.x

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only cross platform ui that doesn't look or feel like complete dogshit on at least one platform is Qt. java's swing gets an honorable mention for being equally poo poo on all platforms

for c# development, there is a very high quality option on Linux (gtk#), several good options on windows (winui, wpf, winforms), and 0 good options on osx. and obviously none of the good options are cross platform. unless you want to inflict gtk on your windows/osx users. (you don't)

this is why electron exists, and is as popular as it is. :shrug:

M31
Jun 12, 2012
at least flutter seems like a fitting name for a google product

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

uncurable mlady posted:

well that and ui being considered a part of branding instead of functionality

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

qt is trash and is only consistent in how bad it looks on every platform.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

qt is trash and is only consistent in how bad it looks on every platform.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I like Qt but I don't want to use their editor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hey what if you reinvented XML (badly) in JSON?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

somebody please create a pull request that replaces the entire spec with an XML schema

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

quote:

Portable Text is an agnostic abstraction of rich text that can be serialized into pretty much any markup language, be it HTML, Markdown, SSML, XML, etc.

img-xkcd-standards.jpg

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i want to grab the person responsible, shake them, and yell "this is what XML was MADE FOR" at them until they agree they are wrong

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i want to grab the person responsible, shake them, and yell "this is what XML was MADE FOR" at them until they agree they are wrong

b-b-b-but tags are so verbose!!!!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use 32-bit characters so you can fit every Unicode code point plus a bunch of style attributes

that’s what the Lisp Machine did and it was fine

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I like Qt but I don't want to use their editor

You don't have to? I do my Qt dev in emacs.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

uncurable mlady posted:

electron is even worse than swing or qt

i am pretty sure the reason electron exists is so that your illiterate frontend developers don't have to learn a language other than javascript

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13678/western-digital-reveals-swerv-risc-v-core-and-omnixtend-coherency-tech

hot news from risc-V, western digital is claiming they can beat a cortex-A15 with a 2-way in-order design they've named... "SweRV"

what's not to love? "Cache Coherency over Ethernet"? :2bong: the CPU doesn't like... OWN memory maaaaaaan....

mystes
May 31, 2006

Uh... ok. At any rate it's nice that risc-v is getting more publicity.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
mmm baby i wanna feel your cache misses so bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cache me outside

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cache me if you can

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JawnV6 posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13678/western-digital-reveals-swerv-risc-v-core-and-omnixtend-coherency-tech

hot news from risc-V, western digital is claiming they can beat a cortex-A15 with a 2-way in-order design they've named... "SweRV"

what's not to love? "Cache Coherency over Ethernet"? :2bong: the CPU doesn't like... OWN memory maaaaaaan....

the more exciting news is that they want to beat an a15. for their embedded uses WD doesn't need a whole lot of performance.

wd is plainly making a play for integrated systems -- something to compete with the violins and netapps of the world

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Xamarin forms uses native controls. The cross platform bit is the abstraction over the native controls, so you get least common denominator of capabilities (with an extensible way to fiddle the underlying real actual native control). Xamarin supposedly works for osx, but I've never tried it.

Not like flutter which punts and renders everything itself, so you get no native controls on any platform.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

JawnV6 posted:

ccoenet? ahahahaha so that management-high-on-own-supply stuff about how they were gonna revolutionize the cloud by moving compute into storage back at the original announcement is being taken seriously by said management

also lmao at announcing simulated performance

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

ultrahyperconverged infrastructure man. racks of ssds running off poe and your app links a unikernel containing the flash & ethernet drivers

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
lollin at infiniband people from 5 years ago

Ethernet will never replace infiniband for transporting storage traffic. it's simply too slow

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
yo rjmccall when do we get coroutines and/or async/await in swift

because I really wanna use em

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
probably no sooner than fall 2020

it’s on my plate to start this spring, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

rjmccall posted:

probably no sooner than fall 2020

it’s on my plate to start this spring, though

oh wow. is it a huge undertaking, or are you going it alone for awhile? or both? or neither and I should shut up? note that I’ve never tried to implement a language so idk what I’m talking about