Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Apologies for getting too far off the topic of the music, but it's always fun to point out when Japanese media has no idea what it's doing by co-opting Jewish symbology and figures.

"Satan" in the case of Samael is very much not the "fallen angel/Lucifer" type thing! It's Hebrew for "accuser". Rabbinic Judaism essentially posits that there's a heavenly court (though semi-metaphorical) and angels actively prosecute and defend human beings before God, the judge (and jury, and perhaps executioner if you've really hosed up). Rather than being a fallen angel, Samael's job as "satan" is basically to act as prosecutor, in the sense of laying out an individual's sins and failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, he does make a lot of claims about the country having faults, at least. They do feel a bit like throwaway comments, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, for all the faults this game has, at least they knew where to put effort into things and the fight with Shadow ArmstrongShido works great. I do find it silly that in the middle of the dramatic disrobing, Shido somehow found time to change his pants and shoes in the blink of an eye. As for "Rivers in the Desert"...I like it, even though it's not my favorite major boss theme from the series (that goes to "The Almighty"). It definitely is a good track for a boss, and I do like that we start off with the instrumental version for the Beast of Sacrifice before shifting to the vocal version for Shadow Shido. It's a nice touch for a good boss fight, even if Shido's character is a jumbled hot mess. But hey, Atlus had one job (do not drop the ball for the Shido boss fight) and they managed to accomplish it, which given all the development hell Persona 5 has gone through, says a lot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GeneX posted:

Apologies for getting too far off the topic of the music, but it's always fun to point out when Japanese media has no idea what it's doing by co-opting Jewish symbology and figures.

"Satan" in the case of Samael is very much not the "fallen angel/Lucifer" type thing! It's Hebrew for "accuser". Rabbinic Judaism essentially posits that there's a heavenly court (though semi-metaphorical) and angels actively prosecute and defend human beings before God, the judge (and jury, and perhaps executioner if you've really hosed up). Rather than being a fallen angel, Samael's job as "satan" is basically to act as prosecutor, in the sense of laying out an individual's sins and failures.

I think it works in that Samael was chosen to perform the role of being an rear end in a top hat. Much like Shido himself believes that he was chosen by God.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In general they are good about the difference between Lucifer and Satan in the main series.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Didn't we have like three versions of Satan in Persona 3?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ken wasn't that bad.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Omobono posted:

Didn't we have like three versions of Satan in Persona 3?

Persona 3 had Lucifer, and Satan, and the FES and portable versions also added Helel (Pre-fall Lucifer) as separate personas.

Terper posted:

Ken wasn't that bad.
:golfclap:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_JFIS0ga5o

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Lol I thought that was going to be the song by Eminem. This is fine too.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Stroth posted:

Persona 3 had Lucifer, and Satan, and the FES and portable versions also added Helel (Pre-fall Lucifer) as separate personas.

funny thing was Helel was Lucifer in pre-FES version, they basically moved him to the Star arcana, and then added the more demonic/ugly version and did a name swap. They also got right of the persona-fusion attacks as they were absolute gamebreakers (Lucifer + Satan's combo basically one-shots the Reaper and any one of Nyx's Phases)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Robindaybird posted:

They also got right of the persona-fusion attacks as they were absolute gamebreakers (Lucifer + Satan's combo basically one-shots the Reaper and any one of Nyx's Phases)

What? Armageddon is till in the extended versions, and it's still broken as hell. (Spend all of your SP in exchange for enough damage to one shot anything* sounds almost like a fair trade, except that one of the required persona learns Victory Cry. Which restores your HP and SP to full after every battle.

* Except the final boss (can only kill one phase at a time) and the secret bragging rights boss (She'll actually respond by healing herself to full and continuously one shotting your entire party until you die. Persona secret bosses don't put up with cheaty bullshit, you gonna fight them the hard way or not at all.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I believe he's thinking of P3P and not FES, the former of which switched fusion spells to items.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I made some edits to the OP to... better reflect the tone of this LP. The "gee whiz, what a fun time this will be!" first paragraph hasn't really suited this for quite a while.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

she. And yeah, probably - it's been a while since I play P3 in any version.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Noted. Hard to get out of the mindset that everyone on the internet is male by default, d'oh.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Hey, thanks a ton for this LP. I just marathoned it for the last few days, and it's really really good.

e: though i did skip through all the schtick, sorry arist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's a secret (not game spoilers): I started doing the shtick because I felt like I wasn't doing enough, especially in the dungeon sections, which are hell to edit and don't give me much to actually do or work with. I eventually got over this, which is why it became much less intrusive the last few times, but it was more a means to keep myself entertained and assuage my own "guilt." I know it's stupid, and I don't begrudge anyone who skips through it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did enjoy what you did with the third dungeon.

Asbel
Mar 22, 2013

angry borking noises

Arist posted:

Here's a secret (not game spoilers): I started doing the shtick because I felt like I wasn't doing enough, especially in the dungeon sections, which are hell to edit and don't give me much to actually do or work with. I eventually got over this, which is why it became much less intrusive the last few times, but it was more a means to keep myself entertained and assuage my own "guilt." I know it's stupid, and I don't begrudge anyone who skips through it.

Next you're going to tell me your little brother didn't actually help with the LP! :colbert:

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Arist posted:

Oh no, it's totally fine and makes sense, just not for me. I can't blame you for trying to spice some of these long dungeon segments up.

Especially now that I've gotten to mementos in my own game :v: That song will stay with me for the rest of my life

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Arist's Slow Descent into Insanity: Let's Play Persona 5 [SSLP]

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
I actually liked the gimmicky stuff with the possible exception of the recreations near the end of the spaceport. That felt a bit much. But it's still miles better than anything I did during my lovely unfinished Last Scenario LP, so yeah.

holy gently caress that was six years ago what the poo poo :corsair:

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Arist, don't worry about it too much. There were points where I might not have gone for the gimmick, but my dude, this is one of the best SSLPs I've enjoyed here, which are the very reason I joined after binging Baldurk's archive site forever

Thanks my dude. This has been a wild drat ride but I've enjoyed it. I'll easily be looking forward to anything else you end up doing here

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

This is a good LP of a good game don't worry about it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

:emptyquote:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
As someone who loathes gimmicks and whatnot, you made it pretty clear where it started and where it ended so I simply scrolled past

Wasn't a big deal either way and if you had fun that's all there is to it.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Arist posted:

Also I made some edits to the OP to... better reflect the tone of this LP. The "gee whiz, what a fun time this will be!" first paragraph hasn't really suited this for quite a while.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I thought you did gimmicks right. This game feels right for that kind of thing anyway. This has been a fun ride and I'm trying to forget that I'll need to follow a new thread eventually.

Just as someone who was only reading, I thought the thread was totally into it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

:agreed:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I thought the gimmicks were really fun!

Something else to consider: whatever gets you through the dungeons without abandoning the LP is Good.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Leraika posted:

Something else to consider: whatever gets you through the dungeons without abandoning the LP is Good.

:emptyquote:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

there's nothing like chaining yourself to a property for years to make you utterly sick of it
whatever helps keep you interested, man

i don't have a ps4 so i appreciate that i don't have to completely 'miss out' on five

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Leraika posted:

Hey look at this post that is basically my opinion from earlier but put so much goddamn better!

:yeah:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

If you get all your games for free, maybe.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hello y’all! I happen to have a friend who worked on Persona 5!
Specifically, (in addition to some other stuff) they were in charge of localizing all the parts where you read internet posts and comments! Since a lot of the Japanese stuff was 2ch.net-type references and memes and mannerisms that wouldn’t make much sense, they had their work cut out for them coming up with lines that would be appropriate for an English-speaking audience more familiar with the English-speaking side of the internet. They were curious what y’all thought of that part of the game!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

Specifically, (in addition to some other stuff) they were in charge of localizing all the parts where you read internet posts and comments! Since a lot of the Japanese stuff was 2ch.net-type references and memes and mannerisms that wouldn’t make much sense, they had their work cut out for them coming up with lines that would be appropriate for an English-speaking audience more familiar with the English-speaking side of the internet. They were curious what y’all thought of that part of the game!

probably one of the only parts of it that sounded remotely natural, so kudos to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I might have bought Dancing Star Night. And maybe the Yakuza DLC. Embarrassingly it took me a minute to realize why Makoto got Taiga's costume.

More importantly:

--

FAT BATMAN posted:

I thought it came off well. God knows I'm sure they had their work cut out for them.