Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The base equivalent of a 3 year old's scribbles that you put on a refrigerator door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's beautiful :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That looks like something that the devs would put together for an interesting advertising banner

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

ymgve posted:

I feel like putting the filter feature on splitters made them a bit overpowered - you basically never have to use filter inserters now because splitters work much better.

Show me how splitter filters unload a mixed cargo utility wagon. Having filter inserters move things between belts was a chump strat that was frowned upon anyway.

By me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There's just something special about spaghetti factories. :allears:

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

I think my favourite bit is the three five widely spaced nuclear reactors. :allears:

e: for bonus fun, try and find where the mouse cursor is. Took me about 20 seconds.

Thel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 4, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Spaghetti is just a main bus spread out.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm loving the coal-fired plant on the right side using steam turbines

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Megabases finally clicked for me and after pushing base up to a steady 2k spm. It was a fun exercise, but also made me realise why people play Bobs etc as just cranking out more science is just a question of scale and doesn't change the game in any meaningful way after a point. So I may actually start investigating them at some point. Probably after next update and a regular run in that though.

Also just hit 1k hours played :stonk: although a bunch of that will be sitting in the menu or accidentally leaving my computer on.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

zegermans posted:

The base equivalent of a 3 year old's scribbles that you put on a refrigerator door

tag yourself, I'm the sulfuric acid pipe that makes the goddamn world tour around the rocket silo and into the middle of the base somewhere [crying_laughing_emoji]

Edit:
OH! That's why I was confused, I got connected to the world-tour lubricant line, the sulfAcid line goes through the middle of the base and then just ends off on the left :D

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2018

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

I'm the completely unpaved desert tiles.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Gotta love the reactor powering only like 8 turbines (repeated 5 times)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm the mixed iron/coal yellow belt going up the middle about to clog up the plastic production

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

All bases are beautiful.

Vic posted:

Spaghetti is just a main bus spread out.

:hmmyes:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vic posted:

I'm the mixed iron/coal yellow belt going up the middle about to clog up the plastic production

I think that belt has underground’s going opposite directions?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I'm the completely empty tiles between the two reactors.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How does filtering and logistics work now pre-bots? I notice splitters have some sort of Filter now, can I run a mixed smeltery line or something using this? (Do I WANT to?)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ciaphas posted:

How does filtering and logistics work now pre-bots? I notice splitters have some sort of Filter now, can I run a mixed smeltery line or something using this? (Do I WANT to?)

You want every possible base design

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i did it and im quietly horrified and ashamed

(i'll tear it down later but for now just stockpiling a bunch of both is needs suiting)

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Splitter filtering is nice for mining the boundary area between two overlapping ore patches, and splitting a single lane off a belt without using the underground belt trick, but the best use is the priority input/output.

It let's you merge two ore belts, for example, while designating one to empty first so you can clear the last dregs of a depleted patch while having the fresh one ready to go. Priority output is handy on buses to make sure a branch is getting a full belt whenever it can.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well I just started an angelbob multiplayer game for the first time. Every so often I'll go trace through the steps for doing something and just stare at the ceiling for a second saying fuuuuuuuuuuck. Same reaction to clicking on a research and seeing how much poo poo it unlocks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god i already hate not having access to drones and deconstruction so much, i've barely even fuckin started

the urge to always be tearing down and redoing everything is intense, unforgiving and unstoppable

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I thought I was starting to understand things but then I tried making green science (which need inserters (which need assembling machine 2 ( which need fuuuuuuuuck)))

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

misguided rage posted:

I thought I was starting to understand things but then I tried making green science (which need inserters (which need assembling machine 2 ( which need fuuuuuuuuck)))

i literally just finished automating that in my game, and while i personally feel that i've committed a loving warcrime maybe at least you'll be inspired :v:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

i literally just finished automating that in my game, and while i personally feel that i've committed a loving warcrime maybe at least you'll be inspired :v:
Well automating the green science itself wasn't the issue, going through the rigmarole of getting the automation machine 2's built was the crazy part

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

gently caress i thought assembler machine 2 was 3 ingredients, not 4, i've been handcrafting those (from factoried assembler 1s at least) thinking i needed to get to 3

lacking reading comprehension will be mine doom :v:

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, AngelBobs (and other such mods - Xanders is even more :psyduck: ) really push beyond what the current interface is designed for.

Mixed smelting : it can work, but is only really 'efficient' if you have a mixed ore stream (e.g. if you're using the Ore Chaos mod). If you don't care about efficiency or just want to experiment, then why not!

This was me mucking about early-game with seeing if I could do a sushi-belt strategy for my entire base. The results were ... mixed :v: In the bottom-left you can just about see the smelting blocks which took mixed/contaminated ore streams. I found that I had to make it loop round itself - and have priority over the new incoming ore - otherwise the whole thing will lock up. You still need to keep the coal on its own side of the belt - fully mixing the fuel and ore streams doesn't really work and will eventually clog up. Having multiple of these smelting blocks helps when you're not consuming enough iron/copper/bricks, because you'll have surpluses of the others which the furnaces will fill up with.

FnF fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 6, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

misguided rage posted:

Well automating the green science itself wasn't the issue, going through the rigmarole of getting the automation machine 2's built was the crazy part

Then you have all that internalized once you make the move to automation machine 3s and throw AngelBob circuits into the mix! :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What do I want to do to fix the lane-imbalanced smeltery output circled here? Some kind of balancer but I can't work out what or where. (I know it's because of imbalanced iron plate draw offscreen, just working out what to do about it or if it matters.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You want a lane balancer, the easiest of which is a splitter where both sides of the splitter output to either side of a belt. I think it will still slow down output onto the belt because sideloading isn't as fast as the belts, I don't know if there's a better way to fix that. The easiest way is to just use a faster tier of belt in that spot, but at blue belts that strategy doesn't work (though that's a very future problem for you).

Wiki has a picture of a lane balancer: https://wiki.factorio.com/Balancer_mechanics#Lane_balancers

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
^^^^^^^
The last big patch fixed side-loading so that it provides compression again, there is no reason not to use it now.

Ciaphas posted:

What do I want to do to fix the lane-imbalanced smeltery output circled here? Some kind of balancer but I can't work out what or where. (I know it's because of imbalanced iron plate draw offscreen, just working out what to do about it or if it matters.)

Put one of these at the end of your smelt stack's output belt:

Won't slow down throughput and will keep one side from backing up too much more than the other. It's only in very rare circumstances that having one side of a belt backed up actually hurts your throughput but I know it is very visually unsatisfying.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

Something like the first one of these? https://imgur.com/a/sgAsj

I use these at the exit of a resource source, but it'd also be a good choice at the entrance of a resource sink that pulls asymmetrically.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks, I stuck that 1:1 lane balancer on the end and it didn't totally fix it but it's improved enough for now :v:

(edit)

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Something like the first one of these? https://imgur.com/a/sgAsj

I use these at the exit of a resource source, but it'd also be a good choice at the entrance of a resource sink that pulls asymmetrically.
Where's the 4th underground belt in this picture? am i going blind :ohdear:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks, I stuck that 1:1 lane balancer on the end and it didn't totally fix it but it's improved enough for now :v:

(edit)

There isn't one, it's using the fact that sideloading onto an underground belt only moves one lane, because that balance only uses the right lane of that right belt, it only needs the underground exit, but no entrance.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

(edit)

I had a lot of problems adapting to splitter usage in the same way! It's a weird quirk that's fantastically popular for separating lanes of a belt, and the devs have said that the future graphics for underground entrances & exits will have a little plate there to visually indicate that it works.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh okay, so i have to place an underground entrance, then exit, then destroy the entrance. oof my fake ocd having an odd number of undergrounds :v:

thanks for explaining! didn't know undergrounds sideloaded faster like that.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 6, 2018

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ciaphas posted:

It doesn't matter. Inserters preferentially draw from one side of the belt, but they are capable of drawing from either side.

Consider this scenario instead: your iron plate consumption is the same, but there's no imbalance. Instead of having 10 inserters turn on on one side to keep up with the demand, you'd have 5 inserters turn on on either side. As long as you're producing enough to saturate your consumption, the shape of the items on the belt doesn't matter.
In general, think about systems in terms of input and output. If you remove the belt from the equation, you have iron producers and iron consumers. Right now you have more iron producers than consumers. Are all of your consumers saturated? If yes, then the belt is doing its job and can be left alone, if no, then there's some sort of bottleneck and you can dial in and figure it out.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had a lot of problems adapting to splitter usage in the same way! It's a weird quirk that's fantastically popular for separating lanes of a belt, and the devs have said that the future graphics for underground entrances & exits will have a little plate there to visually indicate that it works.
Behold, the new underground notch.

It's a weird interaction, but can make a lot of interesting designs possible.

Dr. Stab posted:

It doesn't matter. Inserters preferentially draw from one side of the belt, but they are capable of drawing from either side.

Consider this scenario instead: your iron plate consumption is the same, but there's no imbalance. Instead of having 10 inserters turn on on one side to keep up with the demand, you'd have 5 inserters turn on on either side. As long as you're producing enough to saturate your consumption, the shape of the items on the belt doesn't matter.
In general, think about systems in terms of input and output. If you remove the belt from the equation, you have iron producers and iron consumers. Right now you have more iron producers than consumers. Are all of your consumers saturated? If yes, then the belt is doing its job and can be left alone, if no, then there's some sort of bottleneck and you can dial in and figure it out.
This took me a long time accept, but it's generally true. If you have a factory that can consume an entire two sides of a belt (moduled green circuits can eat an entire blue belt of copper with four factories, for example) it's more important to make sure you're properly balancing belt input.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 6, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neat. Wonder if the inner section will open up too, or if that lane of a merge is just blocked in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

oh okay, so i have to place an underground entrance, then exit, then destroy the entrance. oof my fake ocd having an odd number of undergrounds :v:

thanks for explaining! didn't know undergrounds sideloaded faster like that.

Just build even numbers of those balancers.