Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that leveling in K2 is better than 0, your platinums having traits that get better as they grow was pretty cool

I also liked the dating sim part more in K2 than 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've never played the Yakuza games up until now and my friends told me I should start with 0 since it's a prequel and here I am. I've danced, I've sung karaoke, I've played a claw grabber machine to give a little girl toys, and I feel wrong that I cannot pet this dog.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
lack of dog interaction is one of my biggest beefs with the series even though you do have entire subplots dedicated to them in multiple games

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Six showed where their true allegiance lies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

And Tyler Too! posted:

I've never played the Yakuza games up until now and my friends told me I should start with 0 since it's a prequel and here I am. I've danced, I've sung karaoke, I've played a claw grabber machine to give a little girl toys, and I feel wrong that I cannot pet this dog.

Joseph Campbell’s hero journey

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The music in Yakuza 0 owns. I'm not too far in so I'm just stopping in the weapon shop with Majima for the first time and I love this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfzk5WyqM_8

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s an insane soundtrack with something like 120 songs total, so many of them legit good pop songs! Whatever money they saved by using a PS3 engine was definitely invested into production value

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Steve Yun posted:

It’s an insane soundtrack with something like 120 songs total, so many of them legit good pop songs! Whatever money they saved by using a PS3 engine was definitely invested into production value

man, now you've got me wondering about Y0 in the Dragon Engine

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

The music in Yakuza 0 owns. I'm not too far in so I'm just stopping in the weapon shop with Majima for the first time and I love this track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfzk5WyqM_8

Stop back in when you unlock that cabaret club.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I like the Dragon Engine for the world stuff but Y0's combat was far superior. Kiwami 1 fumbled it by having real bad encounter design a lot of the time in super early and post game but 0's combat was a huge step past Y6 and YK2.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The end of each chapter keeps hinting that I'll be able to earn money from business ventures but I haven't managed to do it yet.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agent355 posted:

The end of each chapter keeps hinting that I'll be able to earn money from business ventures but I haven't managed to do it yet.

Just keep playing, each character gets a business eventually through the main plot.

I finished Kiwami 1; on the whole, pretty, pretty, pretty good, but not as good as 0. The whole climax heat action thing got pretty tiresome pretty fast. I've only played up past the intro in 2 and taken my first steps into kamurocho but I'm liking what I see so far, it's pretty as hell.

I'm enjoying Kiryu as an action movie hero, and I'm choosing to pretend that the part where he slaps haruka didn't happen and am mentally replacing it with the scene where he rescues the puppy from gangsters. As someone who never played a yakuza game until 0, which was my first, Majima I'm having a harder time figuring out; he feels inconsistent (or at least certainly very different) from what he was in 0, and also in (what i assume to be) the original canonical appearances in 1 (I'm guessing the batting cages and shangri-la were his original scenes?). I've decided to just not think about it too much

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 3, 2018

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Yeah, don't think about Majima's shift from 0 to Kiwami too hard.

Personally, I was thrown the gently caress off by Majima's tone change from 0 to Kiwami at first and eventually kind of got used to it as I played more of the games in the series, but I only really got Majima after, well, playing 0 through 6, especially including Kiwami 2. But there is a logic to his character in a strange sense (it becomes more pronounced in 4 and 5)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The writing style shifts significantly from Y1/2 to the rest of the series, though Yakuza 0 does somewhat resemble the first two games (Y2 more than Y1). The main writer of the series changed as did the focus of the series.

RevolverDivider posted:

I like the Dragon Engine for the world stuff but Y0's combat was far superior. Kiwami 1 fumbled it by having real bad encounter design a lot of the time in super early and post game but 0's combat was a huge step past Y6 and YK2.

Y6's combat was outright bad but it got much better by K1. The early word from Judge Eyes is that the combat is great, but I still will miss 60fps, because that's kind of a big deal for a beat-em-up.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 3, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think my main problem with 6's combat was it had a lot of cool stuff in it but you really had to work to make it challenging. K2 is way better and what little I've played of Judge Eyes is great.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Y6's combat was outright bad but it got much better by K1. The early word from Judge Eyes is that the combat is great, but I still will miss 60fps, because that's kind of a big deal for a beat-em-up.

You won't once you see how rad the moves are in Judge Eyes, it's even better than K2. They did a great job making this character a flashy, fast agile guy that still feels like he hits like he hits like a freight train.

The only way Majima totally makes sense is if they do another game set in the 90s so we can see more, but he works overall for me. Kiwami 1 is the only game where he's really inconsistent.

His character would have made waaaaay more sense if he actually killed the Chinese assassin towards his story's ending instead of them doing a fakeout in 0.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 3, 2018

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

K2’s combat isn’t bad by means but it still feels worse with less options then 0 and the drop to 30 FPS is a pain in the rear end.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Judge Eyes' combat looks bonkers. I feel the yakuza team finally nailed heat actions in the dragon engine too, they look downright brutal and I can't wait to play it

Slight JE ability spoiler I guess: Pretty hilarious how Tiger Drop is learned by scanning a goddamn QR code. Whatever happened to the "strongest and most secret technique of the Komaki school"?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

K2’s combat isn’t bad by means but it still feels worse with less options then 0 and the drop to 30 FPS is a pain in the rear end.

I'm super hype for when the Yakuza 5 remaster is out because the combat in it is *GREAT* with a ton of different heat moves/animations and it's on the same engine as Kiwami/0. Plus 5 was the only one that really went all out with having massive crowds of people walking around, none of the other games do that and having all of that and the combat at 60FPS is going to own.

I can live without the 60FPS in the new engine though - Fist of the North Star/Kiwami/0 are the only three games in the series to have it and the latter two only on the PS4 versions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah quite a few heat moves were actually brought over from Yakuza 5 to Y0. Like that jumping piledriver you can trigger in Beast mode is actually one of Saejima's Climax Heat moves.

Yakuza 5 also has Taiko Drum Master. And this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD5bUjnim58

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo yakuza 3. i remember early on thinking whos this rikiya dipshit and now i'm at the end of chapter 11, tears streaming down my face. godddamn! i was gonna take him to karaoke after things were settled! :negative:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Ledgy posted:

Judge Eyes' combat looks bonkers. I feel the yakuza team finally nailed heat actions in the dragon engine too, they look downright brutal and I can't wait to play it

Slight JE ability spoiler I guess: Pretty hilarious how Tiger Drop is learned by scanning a goddamn QR code. Whatever happened to the "strongest and most secret technique of the Komaki school"?

i fell in love with Judge Eyes after I saw the protagonist kick someone while doing a sicknasty kickflip on a skateboard at the same time. And I haven't even played it yet.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Ledgy posted:

Then you remember THE COOL GUY Sosuke Komaki, grandson to Sotaro Komaki. You fought both of them in training during Yakuza 5. So in terms of why the EVER SO SECRET Komaki Tiger Drop is now on a QR code is probably Sosuke's fault.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The combat in 5 is superb at times you really feel Kiryu is at the peak of his powers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Carlosologist posted:

I feel that leveling in K2 is better than 0, your platinums having traits that get better as they grow was pretty cool

I also liked the dating sim part more in K2 than 0

If I could skip the dialogue with x when I was done reading the subtitles it would be so much better. As it is it drags so badly for me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

julian assflange posted:

The combat in 5 is superb at times you really feel Kiryu is at the peak of his powers.

Kiryu just straight up has Devil Trigger in 5 too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

aw, Kiryu and Sayama on a date :3:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo yakuza 3. i remember early on thinking whos this rikiya dipshit and now i'm at the end of chapter 11, tears streaming down my face. godddamn! i was gonna take him to karaoke after things were settled! :negative:

This is a pure reaction and a seminal Yakuza moment.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kiwami 2: got the tongue twister scene with the three musketeers

Is there anything else cool coming up behind more tower defense? I don't much care for the minigame so if it's a slog of another hour or two for minimal payoff I'd rather not do it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

mastershakeman posted:

Kiwami 2: got the tongue twister scene with the three musketeers

Is there anything else cool coming up behind more tower defense? I don't much care for the minigame so if it's a slog of another hour or two for minimal payoff I'd rather not do it

there's another scene later on after you've beaten the whole thing

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Osaka Castle: where there's a giant castle hidden underneath the giant castle

what the gently caress that was so dope

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

The correct reaction to this moment.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

The correct reaction to this moment.

Also acceptable reaction: Kiryu's complete nonchalance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Carlosologist posted:

This entire section is like a self-parody on how ridiculous Yakuza games can get and I love it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's really helped me to appreciate these games to be told they're JPRGs. Some parts, I would add, more obviously than others.

when's that event for which Sega announced an announcement again I'm on the edge of my seat

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's really helped me to appreciate these games to be told they're JPRGs. Some parts, I would add, more obviously than others.

when's that event for which Sega announced an announcement again I'm on the edge of my seat

Friday, I think?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Wow, if you lose a mahjong tournament you have to get the required points all over again.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Okay the dance battle with Isobe is loving rigged. Am I going to have to use a trainer for this poo poo?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

And Tyler Too! posted:

Okay the dance battle with Isobe is loving rigged. Am I going to have to use a trainer for this poo poo?

Don't get too fancy, focus on executing steps correctly, and be sure to nail the super. I beat her by like 10 points the first time; on a replay it was a few hundred. What helped was timing my extra steps to the beat of the song.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
alternately, just use a trainer because gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kiryu would never use cheats and you shouldn’t either.

Ms Isobe sucks tho, like actually sucks at dancing. She does nothing but weave her fan left and right through the whole song. How did she become the #1 dancer in Tokyo with that move?