Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Davie essentially pulled a Nick and tipped off somebody without actually making a move. However, I think it's only a good move if he can get Christian out before FTC, so he can go, 'hey, I tipped you off, and saved your butt'. Otherwise, Christian gets all the credit for saving himself with an idol.

I get why he's concerned about losing a shield, but... nobody was even targeting Davie. Alison was always going to be the easy target.

I think if I was Mike/Angelina... I'd probably take Kara. She's very likable and could be the next big social win, but I think they could at least say she's never been a target or made any big strategic moves. You don't want Nick or Davie because they've got resumes. You don't want Christian or Alison because they'll get points for surviving being targets multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OK so knowing that the final four has the fire challenge I think Allison is going to make it to final three because they randomly showed her easily starting a fire during a conversation.

I'm guessing the other three are gonna be Mike, Angelina, and Kara.

Feel free to make fun of me for ~looking too much into the edit~ or whatever but that poo poo was blatant

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I definitely also noticed the easy fire thing but didn't notice who it was. There's no way that shot wasn't intentional.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
That’s the only final four that I could imagine being immensely disappointed with, given how great this season has been.

I could see... Angelina... winning??? Oh, no

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm not worried. Her entire FTC will be about reminding everyone about that time she sacrificed immunity for rice.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

Elizabeth must be so thrilled to finally have someone to hang out with

...what? What about the other jurors between her and Gabby?

Disharmony posted:

lol is gabby's strategy fueled by jealousy?

A Typical Goon posted:

That's how they edited it at least. Did she not know Christian had a gf?

Are you dorks kidding me?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shneak posted:

I love Christian's girlfriend.

Possibly more than he does, did he even kiss her?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
My sympathy for Gabby game-wise doesn't extend very far. She had room to maneuver that she didn't effectively take advantage of. To expect a fully tunnel-visioned strategy against Guy With an Idol to work was incredibly shortsighted. The move was to put down the Zeke Juice and make flushing Christian's idol via vote-split with Allison, rather than channeling all her angst toward Christian, the primary objective. This would have done a few important things:

-Allow her to overtly outsmart Christian in a less risky way, while also diminishing his power and keeping the door open for possible reconciliation
-Signal good faith (or at least vague intent to not work with Allison/Kara) to the Nick/Davie/Angelina unit, which she desperately needed to do after the Carl blindside
-Pave the way for a Gabby/Kara/Mike/Angelina F4, because lets be real, none of them were going to win any other way
-Have some degree of control over the inevitable vote-split (whoops!)

So, I don't think she was as hosed as a few people here said she was. Anyway, I was glad to see her go, and frankly, I felt like there was something icky about her transition from "cripplingly dependent" to "self-righteous, jealous and power-hungry", even for Survivor standards for opportunism. She got her just desserts IMO.

Davey is probably at the top of my power rankings now. He was super smooth tonight. Nick, I don't know. His bitterness felt a little unnecessary, and even slightly hypocritical given he was trying to pull a fast one over Christian's closest ally last week. Not getting Christian out isn't ideal for his game, but it appeared that the vote-split he helped engineer with Davie/Angelina/Mike was the plan that ended up happening, so he saves face there on that level.

Christian still has a shot but its just so hard to see him not getting voted out next week if he doesn't win immunity. Angelina and Mike have become kind of an intriguing power couple and might actually have an outside track to win if they can get out the power Davids and find themselves at the end with Kara and Allison.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 6, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zesty posted:

You don't cut from a guy happily talking about his girlfriend to another girl looking mad if you're not trying to imply jealousy. That's Editing 101, specifically the Kuleshov effect.

Of course you could argue this suggestion is forced and doesn't naturally flow from everything else we've seen in the season, and I'd agree.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They cut to Gabby saying "True love." about their relationship. I know relationships must be difficult for some goons. One literally said Elizabeth had no one at Ponderosa to hang out with until another woman finally got there.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I don't think Gabby was jealous of Christian's girlfriend (although watching him play the natural caregiver probably diminished the special quality of the attention he paid her all season), but she was most definitely jealous of him getting the credit for the Davids' schemes by virtue of "having glasses and being smart" or whatever it was she said.

She let that insecurity cloud her judgment 100%.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gabby's beliefs about resume and taking credit aren't entirely wrong but it's really hard to strategize your way out of being #2 in the dominant pair. Fishbach kept bringing up Ken voting out David and getting no credit for it. She needs friends and votes not big moves. The reaction to Christian giving comfort is her realizing how strong he is socially.

Vernacular posted:

Nick, I don't know. His bitterness felt a little unnecessary, and even slightly hypocritical given he was trying to pull a fast one over Christian's closest ally last week
I would argue Nick was right to stop trusting Christian so it's a positive edit. I think he has the edge over Davie but the winner will be whoever leans back instead of taking credit for voting out Christian. There is a chance they go crazy and think they should keep Christian as a decoy.

I have no idea what's going on with the numerous confessionals of "We have to get rid of Alison, the big threat!" [footage not found].

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this season rules.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gabby was right in needing to turn on Christian. Maybe wrong about the timing but right that it needed to happen. And it's not about big moves or resumés, it's the sheer fact that she (or anyone) doesn't win if they're sat next to him.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Yeah it's not jealousy. The family visit reminds players that they have a life off the island. It was underlined for Gabby that Christian isn't her friend, they're competing with each other for $1 million. He wasn't consoling her out of sympathy, he was using her as an additional vote in his plans and a goat if she got to the end with him.

IcePhoenix posted:

OK so knowing that the final four has the fire challenge I think Allison is going to make it to final three because they randomly showed her easily starting a fire during a conversation.

I'm guessing the other three are gonna be Mike, Angelina, and Kara.

Feel free to make fun of me for ~looking too much into the edit~ or whatever but that poo poo was blatant

I'm pretty sure Devon was shown practicing or making fire. Then he lost the competition to Ben in HHH.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

...what? What about the other jurors between her and Gabby?

If you watch the Ponderosa videos she's clearly on the outside looking in at basically everyone else there hanging out together. I know social aspects can be hard for some goons but if you look closely you can see it :)

Maybe Carl changed that a bit I suppose but I didn't get that from his video.

Binary Logic posted:

I'm pretty sure Devon was shown practicing or making fire. Then he lost the competition to Ben in HHH.

He was shown practicing the day of the challenge. Not just casually making one with zero effort a week prior.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gabby had a really complete edit for an 8th place finish. Editors are really doing a great job. But if we’re edit reading, wouldn’t Alison be getting a bigger story if she won the firemaking?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

He was shown practicing the day of the challenge. Not just casually making one with zero effort a week prior.

He was, in fact, shown casually making one with zero effort earlier in the finale before the fire challenge was even a thing. The castaways even said "good job, Devon!"

You're going down the Colin Stone route of madness. Dude was 100% certain that Donathan was destined for the fire challenge last season because they showed him making fire once. Sometimes the show is just filling time. Sometimes shots of camp life are legitimately just for flavor.

Anyway, here's my super pessimistic endgame prediction:

- Goliath Strong reunites, because why wouldn't they. All remaining Davids could beat any of them and they have to know that.
- They go for Nick next week, but he plays his idol and either Davie or Christian goes out instead.
- Nick and whichever other David is left at that point get voted out back to back in the finale.
- Alison loses the fire challenge.
- Final 3; Mike (already rich and semi-famous), Angelina (unlikable) and Kara (none of the above).
- Kara wins.

I'd love to be wrong, and so far, none of my other worst possible outcomes has come to pass, but I've never had faith in a single thing my entire life and I ain't gonna start now! :shepface:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Rarity posted:

Gabby was right in needing to turn on Christian. Maybe wrong about the timing but right that it needed to happen. And it's not about big moves or resumés, it's the sheer fact that she (or anyone) doesn't win if they're sat next to him.

Agreed. It was a nice save but I think his days are pretty numbered now but I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spergatory posted:

He was, in fact, shown casually making one with zero effort earlier in the finale before the fire challenge was even a thing. The castaways even said "good job, Devon!"

Ah, fair enough.

Spergatory posted:

- Final 3; Mike (already rich and semi-famous), Angelina (unlikable) and Kara (none of the above).
- Kara wins.

This is actually what I was gonna predict as the final three before I had the fire thoughts. Although I think Mike wouldn't get votes for different reasons.

e: Also I'm not really sure why Allison is looked at as a threat. She won a single immunity challenge and hasn't really done anything else of note. She had chances to make a strategic move and didn't because "Goliath strong," and then had the last two votes fall into her lap because of Gabby.

I'm not sure I'd put her above anyone except Angelina and maybe Mike right now.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

it's a little :tinfoil:, but I don't think the Alec instagram stuff would have gone down like it did if Kara won (or made FTC, I guess, because they don't know if they won).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

e: Also I'm not really sure why Allison is looked at as a threat. She won a single immunity challenge and hasn't really done anything else of note. She had chances to make a strategic move and didn't because "Goliath strong," and then had the last two votes fall into her lap because of Gabby.
This goes to why I don’t think Alison is being edited as a fire winner. We were shown Alison being saved because of Gabby but it would have been easy to frame that from Alison’s POV too if they wanted. “I’m the target but I’ve been working on this relationship with Gabby since back on the swap tribes and I think I can use that.” But they haven’t been servicing Alison like they really could be. If Alison makes the end with the right people (Goliaths) I think she’d be a favorite to get the votes to win too, and then they’d really be nuts to play down her perspective in the edit.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 6, 2018

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Spokes posted:

it's a little :tinfoil:, but I don't think the Alec instagram stuff would have gone down like it did if Kara won (or made FTC, I guess, because they don't know if they won).
You could also say the opposite really. Like that’s why Kara wasn’t punished or that’s why they came down so hard on Alec.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

IcePhoenix posted:

If you watch the Ponderosa videos she's clearly on the outside looking in at basically everyone else there hanging out together. I know social aspects can be hard for some goons but if you look closely you can see it :)

Maybe Carl changed that a bit I suppose but I didn't get that from his video.

She takes up half of Dan's episode having a heart to heart with him. But you're right, women and men can't hang out and be friends. Whatever your point is. :jerkbag:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

She takes up half of Dan's episode having a heart to heart with him. But you're right, women and men can't hang out and be friends. Whatever your point is. :jerkbag:

lol

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Spergatory posted:

You're going down the Colin Stone route of madness. Dude was 100% certain that Donathan was destined for the fire challenge last season because they showed him making fire once. Sometimes the show is just filling time. Sometimes shots of camp life are legitimately just for flavor.

Anyway, here's my super pessimistic endgame prediction:

- Goliath Strong reunites, because why wouldn't they. All remaining Davids could beat any of them and they have to know that.
- They go for Nick next week, but he plays his idol and either Davie or Christian goes out instead.
- Nick and whichever other David is left at that point get voted out back to back in the finale.
- Kara wins.

I'd love to be wrong, and so far, none of my other worst possible outcomes has come to pass, but I've never had faith in a single thing my entire life and I ain't gonna start now! :shepface:

i'm only okay with this cause for some random reason i picked kara as my pony. and she's fine i guess, but not all that interesting.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
It would be legit disappointing if Kara or Allison won at this point. I actually like them both, and they are socially savvy players, but they've been effectively powerless with the exception of the Carl vote, which was Gabby/Christian's move anyway.

If there's a silver lining to a potential F4 of Kara/Allison/Mike/Angelina, it would be a fairly compelling tribal council full of people who have kinda just been along for the ride trying to pitch their respective cases for why they were, like, slightly less along for the ride than the other 2.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IcePhoenix posted:

There is probably a good chance Allison's game is in line with Michele's (from whatever season she won) in that she is playing a really good social game... that the editors are unable to tell a story with in the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There is probably a good chance Allison's game is in line with Michele's (from whatever season she won) in that she is playing a really good social game... that the editors are unable to tell a story with in the show.

i mean ive been saying this the swaps.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gabby going 'oh I see how Christian acts as this nurturer and maybe that's a bit disingenuous' is hilarious considering she would have literally broken down if he hadn't stepped in to console her.

She should have still turned on him to make her presence known, but that bit was just laughable.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

- Kara wins.

If Nick plays his idol, wouldn't a Goliath go out instead? You have to assume that Nick/Davie stick together at least, and they'll probably throw two votes on a Goliath because they have to break up that alliance, no matter how they feel about Christian. The Goliaths don't have enough to split the votes unless they bring Christian in for a 3-2 split between Nick and Davie.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In response to recent bickering ITT

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

blue squares posted:

Yeah I was just watching Gabby's Ponderosa video and just wanted to come by to say

lol

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Gabby going 'oh I see how Christian acts as this nurturer and maybe that's a bit disingenuous' is hilarious considering she would have literally broken down if he hadn't stepped in to console her.

She should have still turned on him to make her presence known, but that bit was just laughable.

Yup. There’s a nonzero chance she would have been non-functional if they were to have been separated. Just makes all the self-righteousness an especially bad look.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

blue squares posted:

IcePhoenix posted:

Yeah I was just watching Gabby's Ponderosa video and just wanted to come by to say

lol

It didn't counter that Elizabeth had no one to hang out with at Ponderosa because no other women were there. It doesn't even matter what Elizabeth says. Assuming she had no one to hang out with because there was no other women there is sexism. Full stop. It doesn't matter what Elizabeth actually feels about the jurors up to Gabby. You didn't come to this conclusion from a deep understanding of Elizabeth on a personal level. You don't believe women have anyone to hang out with unless other women are there.

It's unfortunate you feel the need to defend a sexist comment. You're trying to lay sick burns to someone on the internet who called you out. I just want you to be a better person better people. Sorry, blue squares. Almost forgot to include you.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

“Gabby”? More like “Womenby”. Women be shoppin’, that is! Am I right, boys? Those ladies just don’t get it!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Gabby is jealous, but not of Christian's girlfriend. She's jealous of Christian himself.

Remember back to the beginning of the season, when she was going on about how, as a technical writer, she had to be kind of a 'nerd whisperer' and basically said that she would wrap Christian around her finger. A few weeks later, and Christian has been revealed to be intelligent, gregarious (the guy gets along with frickin everybody, including the two 'jocks.' Granted, these two jocks happen to include what seems to be a closet nerd, and a guy still struggling with self image problems after a rocky childhood, but still.) He's revealed himself to have leadership qualities, and a surprising amount of emotional maturity and insight for anybody his age, let alone a 'nerd.' He's quirky, charming, and he's been doing surprisingly well in immunity challenges.

Gabby sees all that, and she looks at herself, and she's jealous. She feels her 'queen-of-the-nerds' status threatened. She doesn't seem to particularly worry about Davey, the self-described 'blerd,' because he neither looks nor acts stereotypically 'nerdy' on a regular basis. She doesn't seem to have a problem with southern belle Kara, the stereotypical pretty blonde thing. She doesn't seem to have a problem with Alison, the statuesque, handsome professional. She doesn't seem to have a particular problem with any of the other random folks who are, or were, on the tribe.

I get the feeling that back in the real world, she's used to having the 'nerds' that she does technical writing for fawn over her, or thinking that they do, so she's built that into her core sense of self.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lotta awkward Gabby fanfiction ITT

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

It didn't counter that Elizabeth had no one to hang out with at Ponderosa because no other women were there. It doesn't even matter what Elizabeth says. Assuming she had no one to hang out with because there was no other women there is sexism. Full stop. It doesn't matter what Elizabeth actually feels about the jurors up to Gabby. You didn't come to this conclusion from a deep understanding of Elizabeth on a personal level. You don't believe women have anyone to hang out with unless other women are there.

It's unfortunate you feel the need to defend a sexist comment. You're trying to lay sick burns to someone on the internet who called you out. I just want you to be a better person better people. Sorry, blue squares. Almost forgot to include you.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Upon further reflection I think this vote may have played out exactly the same even if Gabby didn’t do anything. Christian has been targeted all game long for being a threat and the Davids weren’t really gonna want to protect him after the Carl vote, so he probably would’ve been a consensus target anyway. they need a split vote since they all know about his idol, so you make it his partner from the last vote, someone most Goliaths and Davids can probably compromise on as a fallback. This was bound to happen and while Gabby was driving the car, the bus was going the same way down the same street a block behind already.

That said, I enjoyed Gabby in her exit interview. She was able to explain what she did and why she thought she had to do it, voting out more respected allies to inherit the game they were playing together and avoid being the goat. She was very self-aware and while she defended those moves from the point of view of her standing in the game, when asked if she’d make those moves again I think she correctly diagnosed the answer was to play with more confidence all along, so people perceive her more positively and she doesnt have to kill all her allies to win next time.