Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Warthur posted:

Someone who knows PoD technology better than me might have an answer.

I assume from stuff like the Metamorphosis Alpha reprint that printing from scans is possible because they sure as poo poo didn't have files for that one, and I know that MA was available print-on-demand for a while.

You probably won't get a pristine, gorgeous book with modern day top-tier production values out of it, but anyone expecting that from a book with "Palladium Books" proudly displayed on its cover was always going to be disappointed regardless of the printing method.
Yeah, I got a POD book of the D&D Rules Cyclopedia through DriveThruRPG which I'm pretty sure was based on scans of the original TSR book, and while the quality wasn't perfect, it was certainly readable throughout. Palladium's just generally been technologically backwards throughout their history though. They were doing layouts with actual paper, paste, and cropping tools well after the industry moved to desktop publishing, and they waited years to get into publishing PDFs. (They were saying it would lead to piracy even though pirates had already scanned and posted PDFs of every Rifts book.) Even if doing POD definitely is the most rational thing for them, assuming Palladium is still around I don't expect Siembieda to seriously do it until like 2025.

Also, while their production values were never amazing, back in the day they did at least have some really talented artists working for them, but the Rifts Black Market books has lovely Poser art on the cover. Also, LOL Rifts Antarctica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Arthil posted:

Wait.

Is Paradox doing something now? I thought they melted WW down and absorbed them to try and fix their gently caress-ups.

Back when Parawolf started putting out material for the first time, people were boycotting paradox interactive games in protest. (Which is sort of like boycotting KFC because of something Taco Bell did. You're punishing the parent company but they don't really know why. It didn't help that Parawolf wasn't exactly putting out *product* to boycott, just generally being terrible in every fashion), but parawolf's previous CEO was restructured out of the company either last year or earlier this year and I've heard of other people leaving the company so I imagine Martin's been shifting blame to other people and now there's no one else left to protect him... or blame.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've talked before about how there a few game stores near me that have stacks of unsold 3.x third party books they're never going to unload because they still charge full price for them. RPG stocking all about the sunk cost fallacy on physical books.

My FLGS gave up on that a few years ago, and just runs a Black Friday sale where they fill the game room with all that stock that won't move at incredibly deep discounts. Purged most of their old Warmachine stuff this year because it hasn't moved at all.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

In actual RPG industry news, the Ennies have started rolling out some new rules. Podcasts are up first. Podcasters who submit must compile a 15 minute montage of best clips from their show: http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/rules-change-update-podcasts/

As a podcaster, welp. I understand their dilemma, but that is going to be a bitch to put together.

The Ennies are a formalized popularity contest more than a TTRPG contest and from everything I've seen every judge's mind is made up by the time they're announced, so they're just being sorta honest about how much attention they'll be paying

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

LashLightning posted:

I gotta admit, masses of unsold splatbooks is the authentic over-reaching RPG experience.

It's worth mentioning that they do have a way of clearing overstock, and that's the "Christmas Grab Bag" deal they're doing right now, as they have for the past two decades. To be fair, they try and make them a little more interesting with stuff like promo material or signatures, but at the same time, the fact they've been doing it for 20 years says a lot.

Ewen Cluney posted:

They were saying it would lead to piracy even though pirates had already scanned and posted PDFs of every Rifts book.) Even if doing POD definitely is the most rational thing for them, assuming Palladium is still around I don't expect Siembieda to seriously do it until like 2025.

Given the generally plain quality of their layouts, doing OCRs of their old books doesn't seem like it would be that much of a trial... for a modern company. Palladium is not that, of course.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Well, it turns out 36 copies of She Bleeds were destroyed. Finally, some details have emerged that "some dude at a con" told Raggi about a lady's tweets about the incident (which have been deleted, and she hasn't responded to DMs from him). Raggi confirmed that a down-the-line distributor bought some copies, destroyed them, and doesn't want a refund.

Understandably, he's really pushing the book's continued availability. And of course Zak has constructed a massive rat's nest of a blog post that is, sort of, about this incident, featuring screenshots from this thread. Amusingly even people who like him are giving him side-eye for dredging up "maybe Invisible Sun shouldn't cost $200" to bemoan the new Entartete Kunst movement (complete with a picture of Hitler).

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The new what movement?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zereth posted:

The new what movement?

The Nazis' declaration that "undesirable art" is degenerate and must be suppressed.

You know, the purpose of best friend websites Something Awful and RPGnet.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 6, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Warthur posted:

Someone who knows PoD technology better than me might have an answer.

I assume from stuff like the Metamorphosis Alpha reprint that printing from scans is possible because they sure as poo poo didn't have files for that one, and I know that MA was available print-on-demand for a while.

You probably won't get a pristine, gorgeous book with modern day top-tier production values out of it, but anyone expecting that from a book with "Palladium Books" proudly displayed on its cover was always going to be disappointed regardless of the printing method.

The early Hero Games stuff that was just released on Bundle of Holding and are the ones on DriveThruRPG, all appear to be scans from copies picked up on the sale/consignment/used shelf at an FLGS or at Half-Price books. These scans look really rough.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

The new what movement?

quote:

Degenerate art (German: Entartete Kunst) was a term adopted in the 1920s by the Nazi Party in Germany to describe modern art. During the dictatorship of Adolf Hitler, German modernist art, including many works of internationally renowned artists, was removed from state owned museums and banned in Nazi Germany on the grounds that such art was an "insult to German feeling", un-German, Jewish, or Communist in nature. Those identified as degenerate artists were subjected to sanctions that included being dismissed from teaching positions, being forbidden to exhibit or to sell their art, and in some cases being forbidden to produce art.

Degenerate Art also was the title of an exhibition, held by the Nazis in Munich in 1937, consisting of 650 modernist artworks chaotically hung and accompanied by text labels deriding the art.

Something Awful is being accused of being behind the destruction of the LOTFP products because we're apparently prudes (as a juxtaposition against this person being more sex-positive-than-thou) that think that LOTFP and the She Bleeds supplement in particular are "degenerate" because of its portrayals of sexuality and violence.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

clockworkjoe posted:

In actual RPG industry news, the Ennies have started rolling out some new rules. Podcasts are up first. Podcasters who submit must compile a 15 minute montage of best clips from their show: http://www.ennie-awards.com/blog/rules-change-update-podcasts/

As a podcaster, welp. I understand their dilemma, but that is going to be a bitch to put together.

Yeah, I've known for a few years that the judges hated the podcast category but forcing podcasters to choose a single 15 minute clip to represent their podcast and if you're lucky the judges might go to your site and listen to an episode is just such bullshit.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 6, 2018

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The early Hero Games stuff that was just released on Bundle of Holding and are the ones on DriveThruRPG, all appear to be scans from copies picked up on the sale/consignment/used shelf at an FLGS or at Half-Price books. These scans look really rough.

I can see Hero Games being in that position, what with the company having changed hands a lot and them probably not having their own warehouse space (especially considering that IIRC for much of their history they piggybacked on other companies for distribution) but Palladium are literally sat in a warehouse full of pristine copies of their books...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

Well, it turns out 36 copies of She Bleeds were destroyed. Finally, some details have emerged that "some dude at a con" told Raggi about a lady's tweets about the incident (which have been deleted, and she hasn't responded to DMs from him). Raggi confirmed that a down-the-line distributor bought some copies, destroyed them, and doesn't want a refund.

Understandably, he's really pushing the book's continued availability. And of course Zak has constructed a massive rat's nest of a blog post that is, sort of, about this incident, featuring screenshots from this thread. Amusingly even people who like him are giving him side-eye for dredging up "maybe Invisible Sun shouldn't cost $200" to bemoan the new Entartete Kunst movement (complete with a picture of Hitler).

It's true, a distributor buying and disposing of 36 copies of a book about using period magic to disappear dicks and make period golems and us laughing at a $243.00 Monte Cook mystery box is just like the time the Nazis tried their best to obliterate modern and proto post-modern art movements

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Something Awful is being accused of being behind the destruction of the LOTFP products because we're apparently prudes (as a juxtaposition against this person being more sex-positive-than-thou) that think that LOTFP and the She Bleeds supplement in particular are "degenerate" because of its portrayals of sexuality and violence.

Yeah, I've checked around here and it's Tipper Gores all the way down.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
TG... Tipper Gore... makes you think

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I've checked around here and it's Tipper Gores all the way down.

I think all art is degenerate. Checkmate OSRailures :agesilaus:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Imagine being a person railing against Tipper Gore in goddamn 2018.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tipper gore sounds like a monster in lotfp

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

tipper gore sounds like a monster in lotfp

"I don't get it, Tipper Gore was really bland and sh . . . oh. Oh my." -- me, just now

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Warthur posted:

I can see Hero Games being in that position, what with the company having changed hands a lot and them probably not having their own warehouse space (especially considering that IIRC for much of their history they piggybacked on other companies for distribution) but Palladium are literally sat in a warehouse full of pristine copies of their books...

To an extent; not everything's been reprinted, but they regularly try to make sure copies of stuff like World Books are kept in print, but I had a hard time getting one particular adventure for a F&F review. There's stuff like The Rifter that doesn't get reprinted; they did reprint them for awhile but eventually that was too nuts even for Palladium to try. Some of those issues are actually rare, on account of low print runs when they were having hard times.

Granted, given how yellowed the copy of Mutants Down Under I got was when they were having a fire sale on After the Bomb books was, "pristine" may be a stretch for some books that have been sitting around for nearly two decades. But I'd be surprised if they don't have a physical copy or three of everything they've published.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Imagine being a person railing against Tipper Gore in goddamn 2018.

It was my first clue that Zak was not exactly a young person.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Why do the Ennies need to have the same judges for all categories? Obviously the people who read lots of game supplements aren't going to have 100% overlap with the people who listen to lots of actual play podcasts. Why not just get a team of podcast lovers to be the judges for the podcast category?

As for the question of bad people making good art, I think the key thing is that the bad actions recontextualize the art.

Knowing Lovecraft is a racist, what can you see in his art? Tons of loving awful racism. Like, a lot of his stories are little more than barely disguised xenophobia.

Knowing Cosby is a serial rapist puts the lie to many if not most of his comedy routines, many of which were premised on his being a good person and a role model. The ones about his childhood are about the only thing I can imagine having any appeal anymore. For me, I can't stomach even those, but I also wouldn't judge someone for wanting to nostalgically re-listen to the "buck buck" story and remember listening to it with their dad at bedtime when they were a kid.

Woody Allen vs Morgan Freeman is a good comparison. Allen's behavior recontextualizes his films about romance and neuroticism while I can't say Freeman's similar behavior even shows up in his acting as far as I've noticed.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Wait, what did Morgan Freeman do?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
imagine the biggest political stance you have being "sex-positive" in 2018.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Jimbozig posted:

Why do the Ennies need to have the same judges for all categories? Obviously the people who read lots of game supplements aren't going to have 100% overlap with the people who listen to lots of actual play podcasts. Why not just get a team of podcast lovers to be the judges for the podcast category?

The Ennies have never been about the quality of any of the products.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait, what did Morgan Freeman do?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

God drat it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

As for the question of bad people making good art, I think the key thing is that the bad actions recontextualize the art.

Knowing Lovecraft is a racist, what can you see in his art? Tons of loving awful racism. Like, a lot of his stories are little more than barely disguised xenophobia.

Xenophobia is the main theme of Lovecraft's mythos. It's not disguised, it's front and center to the extent that even calling it subtext seems disingenuous.

Are there really people who read (eg) The Shadow Over Innsmouth and somehow didn't manage to pick up that the fear of miscegnation makes up the entire point of the story?

Like, you can separate the author from the text if you want, but you can't separate the text from the text.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 6, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AlphaDog posted:

Xenophobia is the main theme[/] of Lovecraft's mythos. It's not disguised, it's front and center to the extent that even calling it subtext seems disingenuous.

Are there [i]really
people who read (eg) The Shadow Over Innsmouth and somehow didn't manage to pick up that the fear of miscegnation makes up the entire point of the story?

Lovecraft has exactly two fears:

1. Non-White People
2. Not Being The Center Of The Universe

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Xenophobia is the main theme[/] of Lovecraft's mythos. It's not disguised, it's front and center to the extent that even calling it subtext seems disingenuous.

Are there [i]really
people who read (eg) The Shadow Over Innsmouth and somehow didn't manage to pick up that the fear of miscegnation makes up the entire point of the story?

Most people consume media for plot, not themes. Do you really think that if you ask 100 Gen Con attendees about the themes in Lovecraft's writing, you're going to get 100 people mentioning xenophobia or racism?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Lovecraft has exactly two fears:

1. Non-White People
2. Not Being The Center Of The Universe
Oh he hated poor/rural white people, too. Not as much, of course, but still.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh please, everyone knows Lovecraft was racist as gently caress. I mean look at what he named his cat.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

God drat it.

Yeah.

Kwyndig posted:

Oh please, everyone knows Lovecraft was racist as gently caress. I mean look at what he named his cat.

I don't want to look it up, but I'm guessing this is the same reason we're not going to get a Dam Busters remake any time soon?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

homullus posted:

Most people consume media for plot, not themes. Do you really think that if you ask 100 Gen Con attendees about the themes in Lovecraft's writing, you're going to get 100 people mentioning xenophobia or racism?

Depends, if they've read his work then they'd have to be loving braindead not to pick it up

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I have faith in people in general to consume even the most blatant media without grasping its themes both purposeful and accidental.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 6, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cessna posted:

Yeah.

I don't want to look it up, but I'm guessing this is the same reason we're not going to get a Dam Busters remake any time soon?

His cat's name involves the N-word.

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah most people are not going to have the dimmest idea of how to critically engage with a piece of art on anything but the most superficial level. this is by design

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Xenophobia is the main theme of Lovecraft's mythos. It's not disguised, it's front and center to the extent that even calling it subtext seems disingenuous.

Are there really people who read (eg) The Shadow Over Innsmouth and somehow didn't manage to pick up that the fear of miscegnation makes up the entire point of the story?

Like, you can separate the author from the text if you want, but you can't separate the text from the text.

Yes. I did. When I was 11.

Then I read another like 4 of his stories and I put it together.

Yes, even Lovecraft didn't have it so central that if you're just reading for plot and it's in isolation you'll get it. Like, yeah, in retrospect it's obvious, but it's not exactly a long story. You can kind of just read it and not think about it. Which isn't great, no argument, but I didn't invent human brains and how much they suck.

Also, I don't think it was his cat, it was the cat of the protagonist of The Rats in the Walls, that I think you mean. And if that's the case the cat's name was... God I hate even just typing this but I promise you I'm just saving you a weird google : Niggerman.

However none of this is to say or imply that people shouldn't examine these problematic themes.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nah, it was also his cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The most superficial only-exactly-what-the-text-says reading of TSOI still involves a bunch of racial slurs, and characters who express abject horror at the idea of white sailors "breeding" with Chinese women, mingling with savage tribesmen, etc.

You can't have actually read it and missed this stuff.

E: ok maybe if you're a literal child then yeah.